Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:53:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Ipswich Town game  (Read 5390 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Ipswich Town game
« on October 17, 2020, 07:42:42 pm by selby »
  A great follow up game to have following a great end to the Transfer window until January, and a great win against a side we all think will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.
  After the Wigan and Oldham games any doubts about our ability to bounce back against a good side was dispelled and with the signing also of two more exciting young players from Premiership sides has lifted the mood around the whole club, credit to our management and the board.
  Ipswich have set off the season like a house on fire  lead the table and are already being talked about as the team most likely to at least finish in the top two if not win the league.
  Accrington however took the game to them and had  by far the better of the first half and were somewhat unlucky to not  lead at half time, and if we put our game together we are a match for anyone at this level. A game when a tactical change and the influence of the manager comes into play and they earn their corn, and a game when we really will have to take any chances that present themselves, and be on our game for the full game.
   Both defences face sides with flair players throughout the opposition   and the game could come down to a piece of skill or the team that make the fewer mistakes, either way a game to look forward to.
   Will we again make changes to suit the team we face?
   Will the two newcomers get a first Start at home?
   This game I would really have liked to attend in person, and would I feel have attracted a decent crowd, are you missing live football?
   Do you fancy us to get a result?
   Which Ipswich players do you think will cause us most trouble?
  Lots to look forward to in this game, and lots to discuss, please have your say, any Ipswich fans who come on this forum are more than  welcome to join in.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Ipswich Town game
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2020, 07:59:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Am I missing live football? Are you kidding Brian. I am pulling my hair out on a Saturday afternoon.
After 57 consecutive seasons of spending almost every Saturday afternoon at a live match it feels as though someone has chopped my legs off.

As for the match on Tuesday it should be a cracker. ( Will be a boring 0-0 now I have said that. )
A serious pointer for our team to see where we are as contenders for promotion.
Win this one and I think we will definitely be serious contenders, even with another 40 games to play after this one.
Our squad is looking very good now with a fair bit of depth.  A very solid defence, lots of pace and players who can score goals from all over the team.

Just wish we could be there to see them play. This is one of the most exciting teams we have had imo.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:03:16 pm by Campsall rover »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 17, 2020, 08:11:18 pm by graingrover »
It is an exciting squad and in interviews they don’t fail to talk of the great team spirit .I think that Jon Taylor’s remark that the established players were ( are) motivated by the quality of all the loanees that Darren Moore has brought in is significant .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 17, 2020, 08:17:11 pm by Campsall rover »
It is an exciting squad and in interviews they don’t fail to talk of the great team spirit .I think that Jon Taylor’s remark that the established players were ( are) motivated by the quality of all the loanees that Darren Moore has brought in is significant .
If the team spirit is right and there’s is a one for all, all for one attitude in the entire squad then that will take you a long way.
Replicate that 2012/13 team spirit with this 2020/21 squad and we have a fantastic chance of getting promoted.
I would just love to have a Corporal Jones character in the team.
Think he had such a massive influence in that dressing room. When the going gets tough you could do with that type of character.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:21:08 pm by Campsall rover »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 17, 2020, 09:01:45 pm by tyke1962 »
Went to the Rotherham v Ipswich game last season , Ipswich were poor on the night until Freddy Sears came on and they improved massively and should have gone away with something .

Noticed he scored today , decent player Freddy when he's in the mood .

Keep him quiet and you take a huge threat away from Ipswich .

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 17, 2020, 09:29:56 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
Our biggest test to date. Our performance -  and,  of course, the result, should give us a good idea of how far we might go this season. I’m looking forward to it.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 17, 2020, 09:40:47 pm by donny dave »
Am I missing live football? Are you kidding Brian. I am pulling my hair out on a Saturday afternoon.
After 57 consecutive seasons of spending almost every Saturday afternoon at a live match it feels as though someone has chopped my legs off.

As for the match on Tuesday it should be a cracker. ( Will be a boring 0-0 now I have said that. )
A serious pointer for our team to see where we are as contenders for promotion.
Win this one and I think we will definitely be serious contenders, even with another 40 games to play after this one.
Our squad is looking very good now with a fair bit of depth.  A very solid defence, lots of pace and players who can score goals from all over the team.

Just wish we could be there to see them play. This is one of the most exciting teams we have had imo.
I am working in Plymouth with a season ticket holder for them and I would love to go to the match with them in a few day's time.  But be warned he has told me they are as excited about their team as we are about ours.
Plymouth are no pushovers either. Up the mighty Rovers

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2020, 10:55:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think Ipswich are all that. Nobody can deny their results so far though. They seem unspectacular, perhaps just keeping the game simple and making fewer mistakes. Not a bad recipe for success but I think they can be stretched and beaten if we take a higher percentage of chances

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2020, 11:04:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
Taking those chances, DBR, has been a problem - Bristol Rovers game excepted. If we click, we could cause them a problem or 2, but they don’t concede many!

They set off like this last season and on the sort of run they’re on, you can’t take anything for granted. I’d take a draw now, but a win would turn a few heads.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2020, 11:12:36 pm by the vicar »
No they don’t concede many but all we meet is one

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2020, 11:28:03 pm by tyke1962 »
Understandably i can see how Rovers fans can look at this game as a marker .

A little early in the season if I may add my two penneth .

Two years ago we didn't beat Sunderland , Portsmouth or yourselves in two games and we lost at Charlton although we did beat them at Oakwell .

No markers put down there and we still managed second spot with 91 points .

If Ipswich beat you it doesn't mean anything in my opinion , Sunderland beat us 4-2 in October at the SOL and are still in league one .

46 games guys and this is one of em , nothing more and nothing less at this stage of the season .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 18, 2020, 06:25:53 am by IDM »
This is our most important game - because it is the next one...

On conceding goals, we don’t let many in either.  I just hope we don’t repeat the score from the last time I can remember us playing Ipswich on a Tuesday after Pompey on the Saturday.!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 18, 2020, 06:43:43 am by Donnywolf »
No they don’t concede many but all we meet is one

.... if we dont concede of course - then we might need 2 for a win lol

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 18, 2020, 06:51:23 am by Donnywolf »
I am now missing the football - live - because although you can watch every Rovers game on big telly it is lacking in atmosphere

When we score I look round the Room where my deaf dog is oblivious to my cheering and I have to get back to earth quicker than in the Keepmoat. I miss the communal feel - when there are contentious even foul tackles - and its agony not being able to slag the Ref as I would have been doing a few times yesterday

Lets get back asap once its safe as it is incomparable to yesterday which in itself is much much better than watching the scores coming in with Jeff Stelling

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 18, 2020, 08:10:25 am by sha66y »
Another game for our team to click, if we attack for 95 mins I’m sure we will get a result...

Copps to come on at 70 mins to steady the ship.....

2-1

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 18, 2020, 08:20:07 am by drfchound »
We are guaranteed to get a result.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 18, 2020, 09:46:56 am by IDM »
No we’re not ;)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 18, 2020, 10:01:46 am by Donnywolf »
Yep

P-P (drone over Stadium or hole in Pitch) is not a result - though we would I suppose eventually get a result later in the Season - or have one imposed on us

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 18, 2020, 10:02:22 am by selby »
  I think our immediate peers in this division recognise that we are a team to be respected and can easily challenge at the top end of this division. I have never heard for some time an opposing manager give us anything but praise before or after a fixture with us and be really pleased when they get a hard earned result against us excepting Peterborough who are always petulant when be knob them and Oxford who have a manager who gives me the impression when not at a game he will be looking at his own image in the mirror and drooling over himself
  The popular TV and radio experts however give me the feeling they know very little about us or our players, concentrating on the bigger name clubs and managers such as Charlton, Oxford,Sunderland, Peterborough, and Portsmouth, although I kind of prefer it that way.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 18, 2020, 10:07:07 am by NigelJ »
Yep

P-P (drone over Stadium or hole in Pitch) is not a result - though we would I suppose eventually get a result later in the Season - or have one imposed on us

Errr....so what was our result last season at home to Ipswich?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 18, 2020, 10:31:10 am by selby »
  NijelJ, we got the average points awarded for the game earnt in the fixtures that we fulfilled, basically it was a win as I think Ipswich had a lower average points awarded for games not played.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 18, 2020, 10:38:17 am by NigelJ »
  NijelJ, we got the average points awarded for the game earnt in the fixtures that we fulfilled, basically it was a win as I think Ipswich had a lower average points awarded for games not played.
No we didn't, points were not awarded for the remaining fixtures. The ppg already earned determined the placing in the league table, which was a ridiculous 'solution' anyway.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 18, 2020, 10:43:37 am by selby »
  Not to Wycombe, they liked it.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 18, 2020, 02:11:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
There's a  rumour going around that DM is very supersticous and that he asked for the match to start at 7pm so the witches of Ipswich would have less night flying time to influence the match  :suicide:. It is after all very close to Halloween.

They have a lot of homework to do working out "wich"  team Rovers will play.

Against Blackpool someone said Blackpool had all the possesion pressure but Ipswich scored 3 goals.
Having thought hard about the result with Rovers having "one clean sheet in a row", which was my target for the Portsmouth match, I can see the new nickname "the laundrymen" continuing with a 1-0 win (Fej penalty i was told !!!) 

Basically we have nothing to fear from anybody in my world. 

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 18, 2020, 02:56:35 pm by Janso »
I'm sure this isn't the first time anyone has asked what planet you're on, mate.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 18, 2020, 04:13:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Another game for our team to click, if we attack for 95 mins I’m sure we will get a result...

Copps to come on at 70 mins to steady the ship.....

2-1
If we attack for 95 mins then Ipswich won’t be getting into our penalty area unless of course the game lasts for more than 95 mins.
I don’t think I have ever seen a team dominate for 95 mins in a football league game. But I suppose there is always a first time sha66y. Don’t think it will be against Ipswich this Tuesday somehow.

Yes i do think this will be a big test, not only for us but it will be Ipswich’s toughest game this season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 18, 2020, 04:27:24 pm by Campsall rover »
  I think our immediate peers in this division recognise that we are a team to be respected and can easily challenge at the top end of this division. I have never heard for some time an opposing manager give us anything but praise before or after a fixture with us and be really pleased when they get a hard earned result against us excepting Peterborough who are always petulant when be knob them and Oxford who have a manager who gives me the impression when not at a game he will be looking at his own image in the mirror and drooling over himself
  The popular TV and radio experts however give me the feeling they know very little about us or our players, concentrating on the bigger name clubs and managers such as Charlton, Oxford,Sunderland, Peterborough, and Portsmouth, although I kind of prefer it that way.
Brian not sure how Peterborough can be described as a “ bigger named club “ than us. If you look at the history of both clubs then we are well above them in the rankings.
It’s just that McAnthony has portrayed them as such & the media have followed. They are just little old Posh in the real world.
Oxford the same, apart from their short foray into the old 1st division in the 80’s when Maxwell was bank rolling them they also have an inferior history to Rovers. Non league until early 60’s weren’t they.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:44:45 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 18, 2020, 07:05:56 pm by scawsby steve »
There's a  rumour going around that DM is very supersticous and that he asked for the match to start at 7pm so the witches of Ipswich would have less night flying time to influence the match  :suicide:. It is after all very close to Halloween.

They have a lot of homework to do working out "wich"  team Rovers will play.

Against Blackpool someone said Blackpool had all the possesion pressure but Ipswich scored 3 goals.
Having thought hard about the result with Rovers having "one clean sheet in a row", which was my target for the Portsmouth match, I can see the new nickname "the laundrymen" continuing with a 1-0 win (Fej penalty i was told !!!) 

Basically we have nothing to fear from anybody in my world.

I hope you realise CLH, you've got Janso and me in f*cking therapy.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 18, 2020, 07:43:04 pm by scawsby steve »
  A great follow up game to have following a great end to the Transfer window until January, and a great win against a side we all think will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.
  After the Wigan and Oldham games any doubts about our ability to bounce back against a good side was dispelled and with the signing also of two more exciting young players from Premiership sides has lifted the mood around the whole club, credit to our management and the board.
  Ipswich have set off the season like a house on fire  lead the table and are already being talked about as the team most likely to at least finish in the top two if not win the league.
  Accrington however took the game to them and had  by far the better of the first half and were somewhat unlucky to not  lead at half time, and if we put our game together we are a match for anyone at this level. A game when a tactical change and the influence of the manager comes into play and they earn their corn, and a game when we really will have to take any chances that present themselves, and be on our game for the full game.
   Both defences face sides with flair players throughout the opposition   and the game could come down to a piece of skill or the team that make the fewer mistakes, either way a game to look forward to.
   Will we again make changes to suit the team we face?
   Will the two newcomers get a first Start at home?
   This game I would really have liked to attend in person, and would I feel have attracted a decent crowd, are you missing live football?
   Do you fancy us to get a result?
   Which Ipswich players do you think will cause us most trouble?
  Lots to look forward to in this game, and lots to discuss, please have your say, any Ipswich fans who come on this forum are more than  welcome to join in.

The players most likely to give us trouble, Brian, are the League 1 top scorer Gwion Edwards, and Freddie Sears.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 19, 2020, 10:22:41 am by selby »
  Just names on a piece of paper Steve, yes they have started well but they are in Division 1 because that is the level the club has sunk to after years at a higher level, just like Portsmouth Sunderland and Charlton.
  We know we can play as well as any team at this level, the acid test  is how many times we do it over the season. If we are on it we have every chance of winning the game even if Ipswich play well, it is now about consistency, going to Charlton and Portsmouth and coming back with maximum points means nothing if not replicated in the majority of games over a season, we have proved we can do it now we have to do it on a regular basis over the full season, not easy but we have already shown we have the ability to do it.
  If I was an Ipswich fan I would be looking at this game as one of their hardest of the season in the league and just hope we could get something out of it. Accrington played them off the park in the first half Saturday spurning numerous chances,credit to the manager and team for turning it round but it was not a walk in the park.
  More of a test will be handling the giant centre forward they got from Portsmouth, every time I have watched him he has shoved the rules of the game to the maximum and is one to watch for the referee and given the leeway causes problems.         

TinyPortal © 2005-2012