Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:57:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Lincoln City game  (Read 7983 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Lincoln City game
« Reply #60 on October 31, 2020, 05:50:16 pm by Lesonthewest »
Take a bow Josh Sims - the lad was outstanding today. Well played rovers.

Smith for me, what a game!

Smith was absolutely outstanding, breaking up play, dropping off into space & driving us forward. Brilliant result & performance from the whole team.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 31, 2020, 05:51:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Great result
If we could beat the shite teams in this division we’d be top
I haven’t seen any team this season who i would call poor & definite relegation fodder.
MK Dons were well organised, Crewe looked decent, Plymouth are a good side.
Wigan were the worst team but we didn’t score in the 1st half and we completely switched off in the second.
Bristol Rovers played football but we were rampant and clinical with the finishing.
Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich & Lincoln who are all obviously good teams were not as good as us.

So who are the shite teams we haven’t beaten. Wigan well yes you can make an argument to include them possibly, but non of the others imo.
Just my opinion.

The shite teams are sides that the other top teams have no issue beating.
We’ve dropped points against sides we shouldn’t be, sides that will end the season near the bottom of the table.
Wigan, Crewe, mk dons, Plymouth,
Ok that’s your opinion. I am not sure after 9/10 games you can know who will be near the bottom of the table. Personally i am not convinced any of those 4 teams will be relegated.
Wigan possibly but Plymouth look a top 9/10 team to me. Very strong at home which is a good base for success. Crewe are well organised and MK should have enough to stay out of the bottom 6/7 teams imo.

It is all about opinions of course.  One thing is certain and after watching football for 58 seasons i know no team is likely not to trip up, every now and then against the so called ‘lesser’ teams.

Football doesn’t work in scientific ways, that’s the beauty of the game.
If it was predictable it would be boring.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on October 31, 2020, 06:15:22 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Lincoln’s fan’s response to the match this afternoon:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/match-thread-doncaster-rovers-v-lincoln-city.109679/
(More than 400 posts, for heavens’s sake!)

Some very fair comments about our performance.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 31, 2020, 06:25:36 pm by drfchound »
Lots of people say let’s look at where we are after ten games.
We are only one shy of that and are in a decent enough position.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on October 31, 2020, 06:39:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The only thing to fear is ourselves. No doubt, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Peterborough fans can all say the same about their teams who have all failed to put away so called "lesser' teams at some point.

Knowing we have good players to come back into contention at some point, I'll gladly take where we are.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 31, 2020, 06:44:06 pm by EasyforDennis »
When I saw the team shape I wondered what DM was thinking.

Now I know.
If we had lost he would have looked a muppet. We won so he looks like a wizard.

Simple Campsall. He listened to what I said.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 31, 2020, 06:56:35 pm by The Beast »
Great performance today, don’t really usually like watching games on the box but thoroughly it. Sims, Smith and Whiteman were superb, Amos looked decent as well, everyone put a shift in to be fair.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on October 31, 2020, 06:58:32 pm by LincsRover »
Get in!!! I can go down the pub and wind the buggers up!! Happy days!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You might be waiting a while thanks to the new lockdown unfortunately!

But yes, a superb win today especially as far as the makeshift defence is concerned.

Booked in for a meal with the wife tonight so best strike while the iron is hot!! 🤔🥳🥳

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on October 31, 2020, 08:00:21 pm by dickos1 »
Great result
If we could beat the shite teams in this division we’d be top
I haven’t seen any team this season who i would call poor & definite relegation fodder.
MK Dons were well organised, Crewe looked decent, Plymouth are a good side.
Wigan were the worst team but we didn’t score in the 1st half and we completely switched off in the second.
Bristol Rovers played football but we were rampant and clinical with the finishing.
Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich & Lincoln who are all obviously good teams were not as good as us.

So who are the “shite” teams we haven’t beaten. Wigan well yes you can make an argument to include them possibly, but non of the others imo.
Just my opinion.

JR has said the same tonight about not beating the lesser teams.
Can’t argue with him

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 31, 2020, 09:02:18 pm by Alan Southstand »
When you consider what the manager had to pick from, that was some result and, perhaps more importantly, performance. I’ve seen plenty of comments about the manager and his choice of team, but what exactly was he supposed to do, today? When the team decide to play for 90 odd minutes, then we can match any side in this league.

The way I see it, we have 2 problems to sort:

1. Clinical Edge
2. Consistency

We have neither yet - brilliant one game and bang average in the next. And, on chances created, we simply have to start taking more of them.

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 31, 2020, 09:27:08 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
How often have we said in the past: 'They wanted it more than us'? Well, today, I truly believe we wanted it that bit more than Lincoln. And that's what got us over the line. We battled, we fought, we never gave up until the final whistle. And, most importantly, we got our reward. Great performance, right result. Let's keep it going.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on October 31, 2020, 09:39:15 pm by idler »
That was just what we had been lacking a bit in the last two games.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on October 31, 2020, 09:41:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
When you consider what the manager had to pick from, that was some result and, perhaps more importantly, performance. I’ve seen plenty of comments about the manager and his choice of team, but what exactly was he supposed to do, today? When the team decide to play for 90 odd minutes, then we can match any side in this league.

The way I see it, we have 2 problems to sort:

1. Clinical Edge
2. Consistency

We have neither yet - brilliant one game and bang average in the next. And, on chances created, we simply have to start taking more of them.

Absolutely. Even without the consistency, if we could put away just one or two more of the chances we create in games, we'd be well away.

But how do you coach them to be better? Chances can fall to anyone so nobody is exempt.

Reece James for instance. Reasonably fresh from his well taken goal, finds himself in two guilt edged positions in the second half. First one he elected to pass when it was easier to go for goal and second one he blazed over the bar.

Simms first half, headed back across goal when he should have headed for goal. Taylor, keeper to beat, albeit from a tighter angle.

The melee in the first half where anyone of three could have scored but none could get a good strike on the ball from 10 yards out!

Simms, two efforts just narrowly the wrong side of the post. Is it harsh to suggest he should at least get both on target?

It seems players often have a brain fart in front of goal. Is it psychological or technique? How does DM improve our strike rate?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 31, 2020, 09:44:21 pm by drfchound »
I have always said this.... the hardest thing to do in football is to score a goal.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on October 31, 2020, 09:55:03 pm by Campsall rover »

Now I know.

Don’t remember you suggesting that Joe Wright should play at right back. Think that took us all by surprise.

Think DM might have made his team selection without any influence from any one on this forum.  ;)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 31, 2020, 10:09:02 pm by NickDRFC »

Now I know.

Don’t remember you suggesting that Joe Wright should play at right back. Think that took us all by surprise.

Think DM might have made his team selection without any influence from any one on this forum.  ;)

Joe Wright had a brilliant cameo at right back during extra time in the play off game down at Charlton, although I can’t say I expected him to play there today.

I had my reservations when I saw the team but I’d be happy to go with that defence again next time out, I prefer John at CB to anywhere else. I think Reece James had a decent game in the middle as well - he was hopeless there for the last 10/15 minutes on Tuesday but looked much more at home today, perhaps another string to his bow! Matt Smith was outstanding, particularly in the first half, in the more advanced role - he’s looked neat and tidy in previous games without doing anything out of the ordinary but he looks much more lively and threatening further forward. Whiteman needs to play deep to give him the opportunity to dictate play ahead of him; he’s also starting to time his bursts forward very well as well.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on November 01, 2020, 09:01:29 am by Alan Southstand »
Having watched it again this morning, I think Reece did ok but only ok. We have far, far better options, but all injured or, like Smith, doing a great job elsewhere in the team.

There was a massive disconnect between Okenabirhie and the front 3. Someone just has to get nearer to him (easier said than done). There’s no wonder he looks a forlorn figure up there, half the time - absolutely thankless task, and one that Marquis used to relish!

Lincoln are a good side this year and they certainly brought a lot of good players in, through the summer (and not u18 lads either). They’ll be up there at the end. Now, the next challenge is beating the sides that are expected to be bottom half!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on November 01, 2020, 10:41:42 am by i_ateallthepies »
We've now played 4 of the 7 above us and beat all 4, 2 of them away.  Our issue is not being a good side it's being ruthless against the bottom sides, sort that and we'll be in the promotion mix.

It looks to me like a mentality issue.  Yesterday, and against the other top teams our whole team have been putting their bodies on the line to compete and win their individual battles.  Against the lesser teams that has been lacking.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on November 01, 2020, 11:59:29 am by Chris Black come back »

Now I know.

Joe Wright had a brilliant cameo at right back during extra time in the play off game down at Charlton, although I can’t say I expected him to play there today.

I had my reservations when I saw the team but I’d be happy to go with that defence again next time out, I prefer John at CB to anywhere else. I think Reece James had a decent game in the middle as well - he was hopeless there for the last 10/15 minutes on Tuesday but looked much more at home today, perhaps another string to his bow! Matt Smith was outstanding, particularly in the first half, in the more advanced role - he’s looked neat and tidy in previous games without doing anything out of the ordinary but he looks much more lively and threatening further forward. Whiteman needs to play deep to give him the opportunity to dictate play ahead of him; he’s also starting to time his bursts forward very well as well.

Think Cam is still work in progress. Some of his distribution and decision making were liability at times. Lots of raw potential, just needs to control and channel that further.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on November 01, 2020, 12:17:39 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Decent home form against Lincoln City continues. What an outstanding goal!

Lad on EFL on Quest (George Eleck, or summat?) states it has to go down as one of the goals of the season so far, regards it being a team goal - I'm sure we'd all agree, without being biased?

Also states that Whiteman is one of the best players in League One and surprised he's still with us - we obviously all appreciate what a talent Ben is and how lucky we are to have him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012