Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:15:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wolverhampton Wanderers game  (Read 9775 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Wolverhampton Wanderers game
« on November 08, 2020, 01:28:49 am by selby »
  One bloke I do know will be tuning in to the game is Wolfie his dream fixture against his boyhood side, have your bag of goodies ready for the match a game time experience at the KM everybody who sit near you are missing.
  I hope others who have their problems with the competition will also buy a pass to watch the match, and think of it as supporting the club financially when we need it most and not supporting the competition itself.
  It could make up a little if we have no game next weekend which will be a week with no income at all when we can least afford it.
  After our heady start to our FA Cup run this season a win guarantees a passage through to the knock out stages as runners up to the mighty Oldham, I live in hope rather than expectancy,  not because of the competition, but the finances that the club could do with  and are on offer.
  What team will we play and what sort of team will we come up against? Picking the same team as the manager in normal games is like The Golden shot, I would like Ravenhill to play some part now he has had a taster however short, he will be buzzing, Williams could do with another game and Jones too, but if it is clearer whether we have a game next weekend, do we take the opportunity of giving some players a decent rest in an otherwise cluttered fixture period, or go for broke to try and get through and pick our strongest side knowing they will have a little break to the next game?
  Whoever Wolves decide to play one thing is certain, they will be very talented technical players, and are a club capable of turning out a team that can challenge any team we can field if they wish. It depends on their ambition to carry on in the competition, last season if my memory is correct they did well in the competition and their defeat to Oldham was a big surprise to me in their first game this season.
   So some of the questions about this game comes down to attitudes both on and off the pitch.
   What do  you as a supporter want from this Game?
   What sort of team would you play?
   Would your approach be different if our fixture at Oxford is cancelled?
   Do you think Wolves will pick a stronger team to get through to the next round than they picked v Oldham and Bradford?
   If we did advance to the later stages will it be of more interest to you?
   Will you buy a match pass to put much needed funds into the club despite not liking the competition?
   Not the most popular competition in the world, but coming along at this juncture in time and the benefits it can be to the club financially there are lots of reasons to discuss the game and air your views, please have your say everybody is welcome.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wolverhampton Wanderers game
« Reply #1 on November 08, 2020, 06:39:03 am by Donnywolf »
Good searching summary of the upcoming game - I am missing the atmosphere around U641 and cant wait till its safe but young Lucas might be 18 by then lol

Only one slight thing I would like to "correct" is the first sentence - because this game IS my boyhood Club Rovers v my dads boyhood Team the Wolfies - and even then having moved here as a 20 something he became a devout Rover and a Wolfie second. So it was great for me (and still is) to be a Rovers fan from 56 or 57 when I first went but with a sideshow of Wolves whenever they were playing local sides (and we Rovers were away)

I am sure my dad would have really enjoyed the run we have had since Stoke - he would be chuffed to death and as a bonus he would be loving the fact that "his" Wolves also look convincing as well and I carry on with my support of them for his memory and the fact he made me a Rovers fan as soon as he possibly could - and whenever we meet I always want Rovers to WIN and while I was chuffed to see Wolves lift the Championship that last day of the Season I thought 0-0 was an ideal result and was "gutted" when Wolves scored that late header

Good news Ive got some Chocolate standing by  :P

Bad news - Its a bag of Easter Eggs  :(
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:02:31 am by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 08, 2020, 06:47:44 am by Donnywolf »
On the game itself I think whether the Oxford game goes ahead might have a big bearing and I for one would like us to go strong

It was David v Goliath last night and David had forgotten his sling and I hope if we get chance to go strong again we should do it because here I think the Club has chance to "help itself" to money that would be on offer if we progressed further.

This is a very poor Competition and sides go weak (as we have in the past) and Fans have little interest BUT there is always the chance of a Final and whatever it may bring. It may be only Telly money and none of us might get there in person but it might just "keep the wolf from the door - no pun intended" and if at all possible we should go strong and progress as far as we possibly can imho

I will buy a Pass because the Club will benefit - and I would have paid & gone had we been able to
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:05:48 am by Donnywolf »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 08, 2020, 09:39:25 am by selby »
  Wolfie, I still consider the watching the great Wolves side of the fifties playing under floodlights the great Hungarian side Honved of Puskas fame on one of the first TV games televised live one of my greatest football memories as a kid, god thinking back it must have been before the Hungarian revolution.
  Broadbent is one of the greatest forgotten English players, Healey was he the flying winger? and Clamp one of the hardest players to set foot on a football field Wright and Slater, and a keeper whose name escapes me that was overlooked and one who should have had many England caps, they really were a great side.
 They were up there with my heroes of the time, Hunt, Mooney, Walker,  McMoran, Tindill, Teasdale, and of course the King and all the rest playing in red and white, they all formed my love of the game that has given me so much enjoyment and introduced me to friends I would never have met without the game, which is what the game is all about really.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 08, 2020, 09:48:18 am by Donnywolf »
Cup Final May 1960

Wolves 3 (Norman Deeley 2 McGrath og) Blackburn Rovers 0

Keeper Malcolm Finlayson -also Ron Flowers of Edlo. You maybe played against him at some stage ?

I was 9 and a bit - and had gt a noise making "thing" from one of the Comics. It made a noise like a football rattle and to my shame (now whenever I think about it) I was whizzing it round like mad when Dave Whelan (yes the Dave Whelan DW Sports etc) broke his leg in the game because I knew that Wolves were going to win

I am almost blushing now writing it down. I didnt know any better at 9 though my dad god bless him DID and told me to stop thats not sportsmanship,. Cheers Dad
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 09:51:23 am by Donnywolf »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 08, 2020, 12:24:08 pm by RoversAlias »
This is the first game I won't be watching this season, paid for the Oldham game having been persuaded and had a miserable evening. This being against a youth team only adds to the apathy for me.

I hope Rovers put out a solid team and really, with the injuries we have, there's not much choice anyway. The likes of Fej and Whiteman will surely start even if some fringe players also get game time. Expect to see Jones and Williams starting again.

So long as no one gets injured and it's a competitive evening for our team I'll be satisfied.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 08, 2020, 12:29:08 pm by Spud »
Will ST holders have to pay for this one, with it being a cup game?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 08, 2020, 12:53:31 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes.
Well we did for the Bradford City game.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 08, 2020, 03:17:17 pm by Donnywolf »

Afraid so but if you get it for a Tenner I will gladly sneak in dressed as a Domino Pizza man (without a Pizza of course) and then that will give you better value for money. It would in effect be an  average of a Fiver each LOL

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 08, 2020, 03:21:49 pm by Spud »

Afraid so but if you get it for a Tenner I will gladly sneak in dressed as a Domino Pizza man (without a Pizza of course) and then that will give you better value for money. It would in effect be an  average of a Fiver each LOL

Wrap up warm mate, I'll leave the curtains open 😂

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 09, 2020, 09:48:35 am by selby »
  Spud, he could be there all night be careful, and don't send your lass out with a coffee late on.
    Let's hope the game does attract a few supporters who are interested enough to buy a match pass, the club does need the income stream to to at least try and cover the cost of putting the game on.
   The pre-match interest is obviously the make up of both sides, Will John have some inside information on the Wolves team I wonder?. As has been said our team selection might depend on whether we have a game next Saturday Whiteman, Wright and Anderson have had a lot of match time in  a short period, and even if they start I can see them if they do play probably not going all the way.
 The make up of the Wolves side will be interesting to compare with the teams they turned out in the previous two games in the group, and whether they have an interest in progressing further, especially it being a winner takes all shoot out if one team wins they are through in second place to Oldham both having won a penalty shoot out v Bradford.
  For those who are going to watch on ifollow I hope the game is a good one and enjoyable with a result to back up the good win on Saturday, to be left in both cups gives us a chance to get  some much needed funds into the club.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 09, 2020, 10:15:18 am by graingrover »
Shelby and Wolfie  will remember another name in that excellent Wolves squad of the 50s who later starred for us ...Colin Booth .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 09, 2020, 10:19:02 am by Filo »
  Spud, he could be there all night be careful, and don't send your lass out with a coffee late on.
    Let's hope the game does attract a few supporters who are interested enough to buy a match pass, the club does need the income stream to to at least try and cover the cost of putting the game on.
   The pre-match interest is obviously the make up of both sides, Will John have some inside information on the Wolves team I wonder?. As has been said our team selection might depend on whether we have a game next Saturday Whiteman, Wright and Anderson have had a lot of match time in  a short period, and even if they start I can see them if they do play probably not going all the way.
 The make up of the Wolves side will be interesting to compare with the teams they turned out in the previous two games in the group, and whether they have an interest in progressing further, especially it being a winner takes all shoot out if one team wins they are through in second place to Oldham both having won a penalty shoot out v Bradford.
  For those who are going to watch on ifollow I hope the game is a good one and enjoyable with a result to back up the good win on Saturday, to be left in both cups gives us a chance to get  some much needed funds into the club.

I don

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 09, 2020, 10:59:09 am by Campsall rover »

I don
Looks as though your having same problem as me Filo.  :facepalm:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 09, 2020, 11:28:09 am by Donnywolf »
I ca tak a hin     ....so hav bough mysel a Pas

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 09, 2020, 11:47:14 am by selby »
  The Oxford game being off does give us more options for team selection for this game, I like to start strong and make any changes according to how the game goes'
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 11:53:59 am by selby »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 09, 2020, 12:07:43 pm by vaya »
Has the forum been hacked by Norman Collier?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 09, 2020, 12:10:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Do yo mea Norma Collie ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 09, 2020, 12:13:32 pm by Donnywolf »
  The Oxford game being off does give us more options for team selection for this game, I like to start strong and make any changes according to how the game goes'

Yes I know it is easy to criticise Teams for going weak but I dont understand why a Team would start "weak" and keep some "ammo" on the Bench if things are not going well

So why not start (as we did v FCUM) strong - then hopefully get a good start and let the "bench" defend it

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 09, 2020, 03:04:50 pm by dknward2 »
Total agree wolf same team as fcum if everyone is fit

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 09, 2020, 04:00:34 pm by Alan Southstand »
Richards available but no Taylor or Gomes!

As for Tulloch and JJ - who knows?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 09, 2020, 04:15:59 pm by steve@dcfd »
Total agree wolf same team as fcum if everyone is fit
Smith on international duty
So we need another player alongside Whiteman.
Richards if he starts but could be on bench.
Amos is available so iif James plays in the middle next to Whiteman.
Will Butler play. Will Jon start.
Is Lokilo available after the tackle.
Will Copps play again.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 09, 2020, 07:50:57 pm by graingrover »
Lokilo and Tulloch had their same type of hamstring injury around the same time .WBA should have left him with our physios .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 10, 2020, 05:54:44 pm by selby »
  I   have just looked at the teams Wolves fielded in the games against Oldham and Bradford and it looks very much like they were stung by the first result and played a different team v Bradford only three players Bueno, Otasowie and Corbeuno starting both games, with Campbell coming on as a 90th minute substitute and taking a penalty in the shoot out.
  It will be interesting to see their team sheet tonight with it being an all or nothing game for both sides and will give an indication of how serious they take this competition.
  It could be we are in for a stern test this evening.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 10, 2020, 07:21:37 pm by LincsRover »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:24:24 pm by LincsRover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 10, 2020, 07:24:22 pm by idler »

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 10, 2020, 07:24:55 pm by LincsRover »
Haha - not letting me type anything!!

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 10, 2020, 07:27:18 pm by LincsRover »
Wont let me type more than 20 words - I give up!!!!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 10, 2020, 07:53:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Decent 1st half from us.

Not bad when they can include a 35 million pound player.

Why are they playing a veteran goalkeeper in an U21 team?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 10, 2020, 08:03:39 pm by IDM »
Why not, if the rules permit a quantity of over age players.?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012