Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:58:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Plymouth game  (Read 8792 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Plymouth game
« on January 08, 2018, 10:26:20 am by selby »
 Back to league 1 games now,with all the romance of any cup success extinguished, we are left with a game probably of more importance, against a team that last season were just as unattractive to watch, and were just as adept at the dark arts of the game as Rochdale were on Saturday. At least it does not look as if we will have the pleasure of McCormack (I think his name is) parading around his goalmouth this season, a tit of the highest order,off and on the field.
  Expect his mates Bradley and Edwards to be the centre of defence, the former a distinct threat from set pieces, Fox,Lameiras, and Carey have been the main instigators  of their improvement in form, although when playing away from home, they tend to sit deep and try and hit teams on the break, only the top three teams in the division letting in less than their 13 goals in away matches, a hard team to break down.
   Would you make changes to our line up?
  Will the missing supporters from Saturday return?
   Can we keep our league form going ?
   Are we likely to see any new faces in the playing staff?
    Will teams see us as a team they can bully out of our stride?
         Have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bezza

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Plymouth game
« Reply #1 on January 08, 2018, 11:20:42 am by Bezza »
will the missing supporters from Saturday return, probably only the season ticket holders who didn`t bother going Saturday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 08, 2018, 03:02:05 pm by drfchound »
Maybe, the exit from the cup will deflect a bit of attention away from us.
With a glamour draw we could possibly have used this game as an incentive to get a ticket for the potential big game.
However, moving on, I said before the cup game that Rochdale would sit back and make themselves hard to beat and be very physical.
Ditto for this match but in my opinion, Plymouth are better than Rochdale so it could be even tougher and our scoring stats aren't very good are they.
Probably a 0-0 or 1-1 draw is on the cards.

With Shrewsbury and Scunny away additional onus is on us to get 4 points from this and the Bristol Rovers matches.
Februarys' fixtures look quite tough and we all know that we don't do particularly well in February in recent seasons.

DF's interview kind of indicates that he isn't over optimistic of incoming players but then again it could be a smokescreen.

I hope we can battle out a victory against Plymouth.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 08, 2018, 04:17:50 pm by mrfrostsdad »
One missing supporter from Saturday will be there. Me. I'm a STH who couldn't get excited enough to face a three hour round trip to watch us play Rochdale in the cup.

Changes? Yes, Garrett back in at left back. He's the only left back we've got and if he's not going to play there's no point in him being at the club.
I would also expect Copps to play if he's fit.
Personally, I would play Mandeville instead of May.

Have we got any other players to change it more than that??

A draw wouldn't be a disaster

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 08, 2018, 04:36:54 pm by selby »
  The thing that I cannot understand is  the position of Ben Khemis at the club. He never plays or is brought on as a sub.
  Admitted he was very poor in the first game at Rochdale,but in subsequent games with the development side, and in the Cheka Trade he has done O.K. to me,wel lnot that bad to be ignored altogether.
 Perhaps a loan to a league 2 or National League team would do him good.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 08, 2018, 04:53:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
  The thing that I cannot understand is  the position of Ben Khemis at the club. He never plays or is brought on as a sub.
  Admitted he was very poor in the first game at Rochdale,but in subsequent games with the development side, and in the Cheka Trade he has done O.K. to me,wel lnot that bad to be ignored altogether.

Loan maybe ok but with only 18 players apart from younger, youngsters that’s why DF is keeping him.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 08, 2018, 05:16:24 pm by the vicar »
Play like we did on Saturday and they will hammer us not that we played to bad in the second half but we can't score for toffee with strikers ether to deep or out wide most of the time

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 08, 2018, 05:19:29 pm by IDM »
We scored (eventually) at peterborough, and 6 times in the previous 3 games..

Said it before and will say it again, it’s fine margins that make a difference either way..

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 08, 2018, 06:21:59 pm by mrfrostsdad »

Id forgotten he is even at the club

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2018, 06:22:53 pm by Retdon1 »
Play like we did on Saturday and they will hammer us not that we played to bad in the second half but we can't score for toffee with strikers ether to deep or out wide most of the time

For me we need someone to play up front with marquis. You can't fault mays workrate but I just don't think he's good enough for this level. I do hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think his finishing or general play is at league 1 level. Mandenville looks to have bags of talent but looks like he carnt be arsed most of the time. Williams is finished so that just leaves kiwoyma who might not play this season..... but if you believe what fergy says then there's no money to bring anyone in.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 08, 2018, 06:25:48 pm by Retdon1 »

We said the same on Saturday, I find it strange that he's never given a chance. Saturday was a perfect chance to give him the chance to come on and impress.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 08, 2018, 06:33:32 pm by steve@dcfd »

We said the same on Saturday, I find it strange that he's never given a chance. Saturday was a perfect chance to give him the chance to come on and impress.

Sorry he’s not good enough watch him in development games. He was signed because he may have potential and if we are to believe there’s not much left in the budget, then he’ll been cheap.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 08, 2018, 07:23:23 pm by drfchound »
Anyone who has forgotten Khemis is still at the club hasn’t been taking much notice.
He has been on the bench in the last few games and clearly can be seen during the warm up and at half time.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 08, 2018, 07:45:22 pm by selby »
  Hound he has been on the bench probably on  all, or very near all the matches, he has travelled all over the country sight seeing, it would have cost a fortune with Sheerings.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 08, 2018, 07:45:28 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Anyone who has forgotten Khemis is still at the club hasn’t been taking much notice.
He has been on the bench in the last few games and clearly can be seen during the warm up and at half time.

From the bar on the concourse?? 😄😄

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 08, 2018, 07:48:05 pm by drfchound »

From the bar on the concourse?? 😄😄

Not being controversial here but surely you would know who is on our bench.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 08, 2018, 07:49:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The team on Saturday was good enough to win the game but didn't perform in the first half and then couldn't find the net in the second despite golden opportunities. One of those games we might say.

I definitely think we need to up the ante against an improving Plymouth team.

DF may reassess his decision to leave out Garratt in the hope he'll not need babysitting by his fellow defenders. He has shown improvement in recent games and was unlucky to be left out.

No doubt DF will be hoping for some help from the Blades and be able to call upon Whiteman once again.

The goal threat looked more serious when Rowe decided to start playing and Copps came on (although some of his crosses/corners were awful)

The Alfie's for me, are at risk of being dropped but I'm not sure whether I'd bring in Mandeville either.

Wouldn't like to call this one!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 08, 2018, 07:54:13 pm by drfchound »
The team on Saturday was good enough to win the game but didn't perform in the first half and then couldn't find the net in the second despite golden opportunities. One of those games we might say.

DF may reassess his decision to leave out Garratt in the hope he'll not need babysitting by his fellow defenders. He has shown improvement in recent games and was unlucky to be left out.

No doubt DF will be hoping for some help from the Blades and be able to call upon Whiteman once again.

The goal threat looked more serious when Rowe decided to start playing and Copps came on (although some of his crosses/corners were awful)

The Alfie's for me, are at risk of being dropped but I'm not sure whether I'd bring in Mandeville either.

Garrett has shown signs of improvement Baz, I agree.
However if DF played Mason there to combat their winger (27?) then he should have made sure that Rowe backed him up as well.
He might have done of course but it didn’t look that way to me.
Kongolo and Blair played well as a pair on the right but Mason got very little support.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 08, 2018, 07:59:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

However if DF played Mason there to combat their winger (27?) then he should have made sure that Rowe backed him up as well.
Kongolo and Blair played well as a pair on the right but Mason got very little support.

Funny you should say that. My mate said Rowe hung Mason out to dry and left him exposed, particularly in the first half.  I tend to agree with him.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2018, 08:06:23 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
  Hound he has been on the bench probably on  all, or very near all the matches, he has travelled all over the country sight seeing, it would have cost a fortune with Sheerings.
perhaps he does need a bit more coaching
 :chair:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2018, 08:19:27 pm by steve@dcfd »

Funny you should say that. My mate said Rowe hung Mason out to dry and left him exposed, particularly in the first half.  I tend to agree with him.

Tommy doesn’t help defensively in most games especially when playing the diamond formation. That’s why we have needed another left sided midfield player, it will allow Tommy to play at the point of the diamond.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2018, 08:21:13 pm by drfchound »
perhaps he does need a bit more coaching
 :chair:

A good play on words B.B.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 08, 2018, 08:22:03 pm by selby »
.C.L.H.  made me chuckle that, very good,it's the way you tell em.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2018, 08:23:04 pm by drfchound »

Tommy doesn’t help defensively in most games especially when playing the diamond formation. That’s why we have needed another left sided midfield player, it will allow Tommy to play at the point of the diamond.

I agree Steve, he doesn’t, but he should do when he is the left sided midfielder.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 08, 2018, 08:53:56 pm by RoversAlias »
Rowe's biggest weakness is his inability to track back, it's why he's better suited to playing #10 than left midfield.

As for MFD saying there's no point Garratt being at the club if he isn't going to play...he's a teenager! He's still developing, there's plenty of reason to keep him here even when he isn't playing. As it is, until we sign a more senior left back he should probably be in the team considering Mason's performance on Saturday, although he apparently did well there at Peterborough and has been very consistent the last few months.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 08, 2018, 09:22:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Rowe's biggest weakness is his inability to track back, it's why he's better suited to playing #10 than left midfield.

As for MFD saying there's no point Garratt being at the club if he isn't going to play...he's a teenager! He's still developing, there's plenty of reason to keep him here even when he isn't playing. As it is, until we sign a more senior left back he should probably be in the team considering Mason's performance on Saturday, although he apparently did well there at Peterborough and has been very consistent the last few months.

Well I'm glad it's not just me who notices that Rowe doesn't always do the job he's supposed to. So why does he never get subbed or dropped??

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 08, 2018, 09:40:35 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Agreed Rowe can certainly help the fullback out more but that been said playing as the wide midfielders in a diamond must be frustrating, it really doesn't help in defending with such a narrow starting position.

Can say the same for attacking Marquis might be more of a threat with better width putting crosses in   

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 08, 2018, 10:31:00 pm by mrfrostsdad »

My point is, he's the only left back we've got and as such he should be playing, and if he's not good enough we need to bring someone else in and let Garrett go out on loan.
Personally, after a shaky start, I think he's done ok and he would definitely be playing on Saturday for me. I don't see the point in leaving a left back on the bench and playing a right back at left back

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 08, 2018, 11:30:15 pm by RoversAlias »
Well it was done because Mason is more experienced and it was thought could nullify a specific player on our opponent's side. It allegedly worked with Maddison at Peterborough but didn't at all with Cannon against Rochdale. I agree that we should give Garratt the spot back for the next game unless he signs someone before then. For me a left back would be top priority now in the transfer window.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 09, 2018, 09:05:49 am by Campsall rover »
We did play well 2nd half, look at all those chances we created and penalty shouts we had. 2 of which were blatant imo.
On another day Vicar we would have scored at 2,3 or even 4 goals. It just wasn’t to be and let’s face it the ref was playing for Rochdale.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012