Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:41:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oxford game  (Read 4908 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Oxford game
« on April 18, 2018, 09:30:24 am by selby »
   Nothing but Quick turn around games to the end of the season now, Oxford being the next up,who we owe one after playing well at their place,and coming away with nothing.
   What do I know about them, not a lot, but the game at Oxford was one of the better standard games to watch, quite open, and they looked to have some decent clever players, who on their day would give most teams a little trouble.
    Their wing backs played well in the first fixture going forward, but did not look that great in their own half, midfield looking their strong point. it will be interesting to see if their game is as expansive in away games.
    As for us, who knows what we will get, having just witnessed us playing very good attacking football, and being so inept, all in one game. 
   So, what would you do?
   Would you make changes?
   Could we afford to experiment with our formation?
   Can we keep the unbeaten run going?
   What do you want to see us try to do to the end of the season?
    All subjects  and others we can discuss, please do.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oxford game
« Reply #1 on April 18, 2018, 10:18:49 am by The Red Baron »
Given that Andrew is unlikely to be ready and Garratt is in the football equivalent of Siberia, we must go with Mason and Rowe as full backs. Baudry should return if fit and I'd like to see McCullough play.

Given that Beestin had a poor game and Kiwomya offered nothing when he came on, maybe time to give Alfie May another go as Marquis's partner. At least you know he'll put the effort in.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 18, 2018, 10:59:14 am by bobbymax »
Given that Andrew is unlikely to be ready and Garratt is in the football equivalent of Siberia, we must go with Mason and Rowe as full backs. Baudry should return if fit and I'd like to see McCullough play.

Given that Beestin had a poor game and Kiwomya offered nothing when he came on, maybe time to give Alfie May another go as Marquis's partner. At least you know he'll put the effort in.
I think Beestin is being groomed as Copps' replacement - he's not an out-and-out striker. I'd agree with May being given a run-out. I wouldn't mind Williams getting some game time as well but that looks unlikely. Baudry has to come back in if fit and I think McCullough and Whiteman will probably alternate between now and the end of the season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 18, 2018, 11:44:59 am by RoversAlias »
Agree with everything there Baron except bringing McCullough back. I was very impressed with Whiteman last night, however Houghton may be due a rest as he was below average and Kongolo for once did well off the bench so maybe earned a start. I'd like to see him and May given a shot from the start this weekend.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 18, 2018, 01:26:33 pm by The Red Baron »
I agree that Whiteman was our best midfielder last night. If anything, McCullough would replace Houghton. Kongolo is a possible for a role on the right of the diamond, although personally I'd put Blair there.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 18, 2018, 01:30:28 pm by Cantley Rover »
Beastin had a very good first half but like most of the rest of the team played poorly in the second half.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 18, 2018, 02:39:25 pm by TheFunk »
If Kongolo is the answer i dread to think what the question is.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 18, 2018, 03:03:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
The midfield as been below average most of the season. Last night the attacking players in midfield were poor both attacking and defending. But who else is there. We haven’t got quality to replace them. So we are stuck with what we have. Message to them would be good if you could score and then don’t allow players to run past you and give up.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 19, 2018, 09:57:26 am by selby »
  Looking on their forum, like MK Dons their supporters see our fixture as one of their easier, and more winnable fixtures they have left.
   They have also sold over 600 tickets for this game, not a bad effort with a couple of days to go.
  Lets hope we make them work a little harder for their points than we did against Bury, and not be so charitable.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 19, 2018, 10:29:59 am by wing commander »
     One of the most sensible posts about our team selections I've read on here was the point that the left back position problems had a knock on effect to two or three other positions with players playing out of position to cover holes..

That said we cant address that to the summer now and it really isn't worth throwing Andrew into the mix with so many games in such a short period of time,after his bad injury..

So I would play Mason at right back and Rowe at left back...As for the front two I'm a bit torn about that..I wouldn't start Williams again,he's on his way and it wont achieve anything really so bench at best...So do we go with May or Beestin?? For me Beestin is much the better player but DF might have a decision to make about May soon.Do we keep him or transfer list him??

He is currently well out of favour but now might be the time for him to give him a few games,so he can have another look at him again in competitive matches...

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 19, 2018, 12:55:25 pm by Pancho Regan »

So I would play Mason at right back and Rowe at left back...As for the front two I'm a bit torn about that..I wouldn't start Williams again,he's on his way and it wont achieve anything really so bench at best...So do we go with May or Beestin?? For me Beestin is much the better player but DF might have a decision to make about May soon.Do we keep him or transfer list him??

He is currently well out of favour but now might be the time for him to give him a few games,so he can have another look at him again in competitive matches...

I'd agree with that wc.
I assume Williams is on his way out in the Summer, which personally I'm sorry about, but if so then there is little point in playing him if there are other options.

Of Beestin and May, I favour Beestin. However, this may sound odd but now that we're (almost) safe I would prefer to see May play alongside Marquis for the next few games, purely to show whether the lad looks like a long-term bet or not.

I can't make my mind up about him, whereas I'm fairly confident that Beestin has a bright future.
So on balance I'd like May to be given a little run in the team to show what he can do.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 19, 2018, 03:04:20 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Start Beestin can't just drop players as soon as they have a quiet game that won't help development! give him 90min from now to end of season and get him in the mindset of been a senior player before next season

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 19, 2018, 05:34:07 pm by roversdude »
I think it’s more about resting players than dropping at the minute especially assuming it’s predictedto be warm on Saturday
Copps looked like the game had come around a bit quick for him on Tuesday

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 19, 2018, 09:43:48 pm by drfchound »
If Mason has to continue at LB then what is wrong with bringing Alcock in at RB, moving Blair forward to right of diamond in place of Houghton who offered very little in that position against a Bury.
Beestin over May every time for me as support for Marquis.
Beestin is a much more clever player than May and brings much more to the table.
I would like to see Williams on the bench in place of Kywomya who doesn’t look like he should be anywhere near the first team right now.
Whiteman did well in the first half hour when we were dominating things but was all over the place in the second half.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 19, 2018, 10:54:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
Beestin is a much more clever player than May and brings much more to the table.

Except goals? You could argue that May has more goals to his name. I'm not knocking Beestin, I like the lad and I agree he has a bright future ahead of him but I think he may well blossom in the Copps role. He is not, yet, a clinical striker and neither is May (or, for that matter, Mandeville). If it wasn't for JM, we would be in a far worse position this season.

I don't go along with not playing Williams just because he is on his way out, it's a good time now to remind possible interested parties just what he can offer them? Let's face it, we don't have that many suitable options.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 19, 2018, 11:13:27 pm by drfchound »
Alan, are you talking about goals scored by the two players, Beestin and May, or shall we include assists as well, which are also important.
To be honest mate, I haven’t had time to check this out but my gut feeling is that Beestin has way more assists than May.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 19, 2018, 11:17:50 pm by RedJ »
Why does it matter about showing interested parties what Williams can offer? he's out of contract so it isn't as if we need to put him in the shop window to get shut of him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 19, 2018, 11:24:47 pm by drfchound »
Why does it matter about showing interested parties what Williams can offer? he's out of contract so it isn't as if we need to put him in the shop window to get shut of him.

Very true RedJ.
However there is an argument that while we are still paying him he could be put to better use than playing in development games.
He would certainly been a better option to bring on than Kywomya against Bury, he would have put in a lot mor effort for certain.
The fans deserve a fully committed effort by the team and management for the last few games and not the usual collapse.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 20, 2018, 07:05:07 am by dickos1 »

I agree, he’s on his bike regardless if anyone is interested or not.
Very harsh the criticism given to kiwomya, he’s recovering from a serious illness, he also made marquis’s Goal on Saturday.

I’m still struggling to understand what this usual collapse is for the last few games!
Last season we’d already been promoted which as poor as it was is the main reason of the poor results, but the year before the last few games of the season was our best form we’d shown for about 6 months.

The only proper collapse I can think off was in 2014,

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 20, 2018, 08:33:10 am by bedale rover »
Play whiteman further forward in the copps role
Then can have mccollough further back

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 20, 2018, 11:05:04 am by dickos1 »
Where would you play copps?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 20, 2018, 12:47:11 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I don't go along with not playing Williams just because he is on his way out, it's a good time now to remind possible interested parties just what he can offer them? Let's face it, we don't have that many suitable options.

Cheeky question: I wonder what anyone (including DF) might think about offering Williams a 1 yr contract on very much reduced terms. Of course AW may well want to leave Doncaster as soon as possible, if not sooner, but I doubt anyone will be offering anything better.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 20, 2018, 01:07:31 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
There are options.  I'd like to see Beestin back in midfield on the right or in the Copps role.

My team tomorrow would be;

Marosi
Alcock Baudry Butler Mason
Mccullough
Whiteman Rowe
Beestin
Marquis May

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 20, 2018, 01:31:28 pm by bedale rover »
Where would you play copps?
He has played 2 matches this week put him on the bench ready for Blackburn
Got to manage his workload

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 20, 2018, 03:52:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
Why does it matter about showing interested parties what Williams can offer? he's out of contract so it isn't as if we need to put him in the shop window to get shut of him

I'm quite aware of that, RedJ, you are coming at it from the wrong angle - I was thinking more in terms of how AW would be looking at the opportunity. It's a chance for him to prove to any suitors out there that he still has something to offer. It's certainly not in his best interests if he turned up and didn't perform, surely?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 20, 2018, 04:21:24 pm by selby »
If May plays, be prepared for Marquis to be ineffective, they don't gell.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 20, 2018, 06:53:46 pm by Cantley Rover »
I will be happy with 90 minutes of effort from the 11 plays on the pitch.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 20, 2018, 07:59:49 pm by RedJ »
Why does it matter about showing interested parties what Williams can offer? he's out of contract so it isn't as if we need to put him in the shop window to get shut of him

I'm quite aware of that, RedJ, you are coming at it from the wrong angle - I was thinking more in terms of how AW would be looking at the opportunity. It's a chance for him to prove to any suitors out there that he still has something to offer. It's certainly not in his best interests if he turned up and didn't perform, surely?

Yes, it's in his interests. But - and I say this as someone who does like Williams - why would we bother doing that if we don't need to, particularly keeping in mind how he only seems to get going after a run of matches.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 20, 2018, 09:08:09 pm by Lesonthewest »
Have a feeling this could be a good game, having a nosey on their forum they are classing it a massive game for them & looks like they will be bring a decent following so hopefully a good atmosphere. How will we approach the game as we are all but safe now? They will be desperate for a win so do we invite them on & look to score on the break or do we go for them from the off, one things for sure we will have to match them for effort & commitment as they will be up for it. As for the team personally I would rest Copps for the Blackburn game, bring in McCullough, push Whiteman further forward & play Beestin on the right. Looking forward to it, & we owe them one.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 20, 2018, 11:52:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
But - and I say this as someone who does like Williams - why would we bother doing that if we don't need to, particularly keeping in mind how he only seems to get going after a run of matches.

Easy answer to that is no one else is staking a claim. At least AW has experience and that's all I can offer over all the others that have tried and, so far, failed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012