Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:27:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game  (Read 8232 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game
« on August 06, 2018, 11:09:50 am by selby »
   Another physical encounter in front of us this coming weekend if reports on their game against Blackpool and the return of Akinfenwa is anything to go by.
  I wonder if he still thinks we are situated so far up north?
  Their manager Gareth Ainsworth has to be commended over the last few seasons for his teams achievements on little resources money wise, and continually have battled in games, made it hard for the opposition, and in Akinfenwa have a player who has goals in him and must be up there in the all time assist league for the players around him,if we let him boss us down the middle of the park we are in for a hard afternoon.
   Reading their report against Blackpool their midfield four play a high energy game, are very fit, and Ainsworth gets them, and expects them to cover large distances in the game. Bowyer the Blackpool manager, who also expects his players to play with energy and physicality commended their efforts, and said after the game how difficult it was for them to control the game in that area, and free kicks and set pieces were hard to defend against.
  So we have it all to do again next Saturday, match a physical side, and try and impose our game on them.
  We are no longer the shrinking violets we were up to last Christmas, on Saturday look far more threatening in attack, but will have to try and retain the ball in midfield better. Whatever happens I expect our central defenders and full backs to be severely tested physically, but they have learnt to deal with that looking at the performances since last Christmas.
  Keeping Marquis in the next few days is imperative, or getting a massive fee and a couple of good replacements, that is if people think he can ever be replaced, which would be hard to do. Hopefully teams will not come in for him and upset the apple cart.
   As for changes in our team from last weekend, it would be difficult to justify any at all. Yes we were outplayed in periods of the game, but we put in a hell of hard work and a performance at a difficult place to go to be proud of.
   I would like to see McCullough at least on the substitutes bench, but hey ho, changing the starting eleven to my mind would be hard on any of the players, so the same as for me, and enjoy the ride.
   Would you change any of the team from Saturday?
   Will we adopt the same formation at home?
   Will Akinfenwa be our biggest physical test of this season?
    Are we a team that will score lots of goals this Season?
   Will a team come in for Marquis late on this week, and are we in a position to rebuff any approach if they do?
    Will we have any plan, or targets in mind if that situation raises its head?
     Lots of things to discuss, lots of different ideas, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game
« Reply #1 on August 06, 2018, 11:36:54 am by RedJ »
If we let Bayo bully the centre halves we'll have f**ked it.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 06, 2018, 11:52:15 am by DearneValleyRover »
I don’t think Kane was brought in to sit on the bench so he could be put in for Whiteman moving Crawford to the right. I also think he will rest Copps and play Taylor if he’s fit.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 06, 2018, 11:54:13 am by graingrover »
At the end  of our promotion season season Bayo bossed our central defenders (Butler and Wright I ]at Wycombe .It is a job for Wright and Anderson.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 06, 2018, 12:00:09 pm by drfchound »
It will be a good individual battle between Akinfenwa and Butler.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 06, 2018, 12:01:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
Because of Bayo maybe Anderson for Wright.

Kane for Crawford.

Crawford for Coppinger.

Taylor on the bench for Kiwomya.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 06, 2018, 12:03:30 pm by drfchound »
Because Wycombe will probably come and try to settle back for a 0-0 I think we will need Coppingers skill to unlock them.
No way should he be left out, especially for a home game.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 06, 2018, 12:07:51 pm by Retdon1 »
After going to the game away at Wycombe a couple of seasons ago, I think this could be a game for Anderson to come in and attempt to deal with him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 06, 2018, 12:27:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think he'll change anything. He'll try and give this formation every chance of working and hope we can play more like the second half performance v Southend. I doubt he'll knee jerk and put Kane in just yet.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2018, 12:30:25 pm by selby »
  Coppinger by his standards had a quiet game on Saturday, especially in the first half when he was starved of the ball in the first half hour, because of Southend's total domination of midfield in that area.
  In the last quarter of that half he came much more central. got more on the ball and we came into the game a lot more, and Rowe and Crawford had someone to play with. this continued after half time when we were dominant for the first half hour of that half.
  If you watch the Wilkes goal closely, he received the ball with his back to goal, and a defender tight up behind him, Coppinger made a run on the outside causing the defender to drop off Wilkes a couple of yards to cover the run, giving Wilkes the room to turn and get his shot off.
  As soon as Coppinger went off, and Crawford, we were left with Whiteman and Blair who give us energy, but are not the best at controlling the ball and tend to give it away in poor defensive areas, which was what happened and we were hanging on.
   We took Coppinger off ten minutes before we needed to, just when he and Rowe were getting the better of their midfield,and when for the first time in the game Coppinger was getting on the ball, and ended up with players again ( Whiteman and Blair ) in areas of the field where they are not suited in my opinion.
   Of course others will disagree with me and I accept that they are entitled to do so.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 06, 2018, 12:55:53 pm by selby »
  Watching the replay closely again of the Wilks goal, it was Crawford not Copps who did the clever run outside Wilks.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 06, 2018, 01:58:05 pm by wing commander »
   It's a tough one to call this as we haven't actually seen Kane play and don't know how he will adapt to league 1 physicality..That said a home game is the right time to see, so I would leave Copps on the bench and take it from there..
   As much as people don't want to hear it,Copps cant go on forever and I've a feeling his game time might be more limited this year,so the sooner we see what Kane can offer the better..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 06, 2018, 02:30:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Why would Kane come in for Coppinger? Copps is playing wide right of the front three and Kane has been signed as a central playmaker. He's in the conversation for Whiteman or Crawford's spot in the team not Coppinger's.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 06, 2018, 03:11:25 pm by wing commander »
Because like what has been muted above I think Kane will partner Whiteman and Crawford will be pushed out to replace Coppinger..GM seems to want to increase our pace by the looks and that's no longer Copps strength..It will be interesting to see which way he plans to go at home when it's down to us to attack..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 06, 2018, 03:29:24 pm by RoversAlias »
I can't see Crawford playing in the front three. He's there to be busy and resourceful in the middle three. The alternatives to Coppinger are Kiwomya and Beestin from the looks of things.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 06, 2018, 03:47:55 pm by scawsby steve »
There's something I don't get about the Copps situation; he's an attacking midfielder, and according to lots of posters on here, has no leadership qualities on the field; so how is it that almost every time he's subbed, we concede goals?; surely it can't be just coincidence.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 06, 2018, 03:53:13 pm by GazLaz »
There's something I don't get about the Copps situation; he's an attacking midfielder, and according to lots of posters on here, has no leadership qualities on the field; so how is it that almost every time he's subbed, we concede goals?; surely it can't be just coincidence.

We did score after he went off as well!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 06, 2018, 04:04:03 pm by DearneValleyRover »
The alternative to Copps is Taylor I believe

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 06, 2018, 04:41:52 pm by MachoMadness »
Long term he will be (hopefully) but I'd be surprised if he's in contention for a start before September.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 06, 2018, 04:42:06 pm by RoversAlias »
I keep forgetting about Taylor, you're right he's the other one.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 06, 2018, 05:12:45 pm by Alan Southstand »
The manager told us that Taylor was still a week to 10 days away from being fully fit and that was a week ago. We could find him in the squad on Saturday, but first 11? Not sure. Depends on training this week.

I agree with Kane’s inclusion as well.

Let’s see.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 06, 2018, 05:39:39 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Long term he will be (hopefully) but I'd be surprised if he's in contention for a start before September.

I’m really going on McCann’s comments of its about the squad and picking teams to suit the game, Taylor has more bite than Copps so if fit I expect he will play however after 60 mins bring on a fresh Copps against a tiring defence

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 06, 2018, 05:47:29 pm by karldew »
All this talk of who is going to be in our starting 11 or even in the squad is nice to see. Looking at Wycombe did anyone else noticed they only named 5 subs on Saturday and also had a player sent off? Not sure if they’re short of players or always name 5 subs?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 06, 2018, 05:52:26 pm by drfchound »
Because like what has been muted above I think Kane will partner Whiteman and Crawford will be pushed out to replace Coppinger..GM seems to want to increase our pace by the looks and that's no longer Copps strength..It will be interesting to see which way he plans to go at home when it's down to us to attack..

Copps has never been really quick.
He uses his skill and brain to beat defenders.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 06, 2018, 05:58:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The thing is, there are a number of permutations now, which can only be good news if the manager uses the options well.

As said before it would be great if we were 3-0 up and bring Copps On rather than visa versa.

There aren't many players who can contribute to seeing a game out better than Copps who can read things, hold a ball up, bring others into a game, and more likely run the clock down in their half rather than our own.

It's just getting to a point where the team can be just as positive and threatening without him. For me that will be a test of how good this squad is.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 06, 2018, 06:00:02 pm by drfchound »
The funny thing is, we obviously have good options now.
Only last week people were saying our squad was a weak one.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 06, 2018, 06:00:52 pm by selby »
  Copps has had twice the playing career that Taylor has had, and was dominating division 1 defences last season, while Taylor was having an enforced holiday.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 06, 2018, 07:31:06 pm by the vicar »
I was talking to 3 Bradford fans and they said Taylor should never have left and he will be a great player for us if he can get his head sorted.  He went to pot again after McCall left

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 06, 2018, 07:36:07 pm by Dare to dream! »
Same team as Southend for me, give them a chance to get use to the system because it wasn't working in the first half.

Would agree as others say a physical battle and also expecting both teams to score 

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 06, 2018, 07:56:16 pm by Donnybax »
At the end  of our promotion season season Bayo bossed our central defenders (Butler and Wright I ]at Wycombe .It is a job for Wright and Anderson.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

it was actually butler and Baudry at Wycombe in league 2

TinyPortal © 2005-2012