Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:52:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game  (Read 8233 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game
« Reply #30 on August 06, 2018, 09:45:05 pm by scawsby steve »
  Copps has had twice the playing career that Taylor has had, and was dominating division 1 defences last season, while Taylor was having an enforced holiday.

Nobody's comparing the 2 players Brian; people are just talking about situations and game management; imagine utilising both players in a match when they're both at their best; that would be a hell of a threat to the opponents.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 07, 2018, 11:57:43 am by StocksArmy »
Just had a quick look at Wycombe' s starting 11 on saturday. Could be a very entertaining game as they look to have a very physical squad and many in their 30s. Much the opposite to us. Will have to be good defensively on set pieces. Ill go for a very tight game 2-1 Rovers. Marquis and Rowe.

Marosi
Mason
Wright
Anderson
Butler
Andrew
Whiteman
Crawford
Rowe
Wilkes
Marquis

Subs:
Lawlor
Amos
Taylor
Coppinger
Kane
Kiwomya
Blair

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 07, 2018, 12:57:45 pm by selby »
  Steve, we have just won our  first game I think in six, against a team that finished last season with a long run of wins in games at home.
   Kiwomya came on as substitute and played wide, and with Wilks gave us raw speed on the flanks for the last 20 minutes, something we have not had for years.
   Kiwomya also looked far more threatening than in any game last season, and Coppinger had been a large part, with Rowe, of us getting back in the game when he moved more central.
  I cannot see for the life of me why people want to bring someone else in, other than going on reputation and a past significant fee paid for him that he never warranted after being bought, or just wanting change because he is a new name on the team sheet. If he plays in the reserves, plays well, gets fit, then yes, or is put on the subs bench comes on and performs.
   That is what he has to do for me, not because of his past or his name. Some of the people pushing for him to play will not have gone to Southend or watched his couple of half games in preseason, but read that some Bradford supporters thought  he was a good player twelve months ago.
  He is no longer their player, he has to prove it here, and not at the expense of players who have just proved their worth in a difficult game.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 07, 2018, 03:51:06 pm by scawsby steve »
  Steve, we have just won our  first game I think in six, against a team that finished last season with a long run of wins in games at home.
   Kiwomya came on as substitute and played wide, and with Wilks gave us raw speed on the flanks for the last 20 minutes, something we have not had for years.
   Kiwomya also looked far more threatening than in any game last season, and Coppinger had been a large part, with Rowe, of us getting back in the game when he moved more central.
  I cannot see for the life of me why people want to bring someone else in, other than going on reputation and a past significant fee paid for him that he never warranted after being bought, or just wanting change because he is a new name on the team sheet. If he plays in the reserves, plays well, gets fit, then yes, or is put on the subs bench comes on and performs.
   That is what he has to do for me, not because of his past or his name. Some of the people pushing for him to play will not have gone to Southend or watched his couple of half games in preseason, but read that some Bradford supporters thought  he was a good player twelve months ago.
  He is no longer their player, he has to prove it here, and not at the expense of players who have just proved their worth in a difficult game.

Brian, what on earth are you talking about?. I never suggested bringing anyone in, or making any changes to last Saturday's team; I was merely talking about how Copps and Taylor could both be utilised in a game when they're both fit and at their best, which Taylor clearly isn't yet.

You're just banging on all the time about Taylor's past and how he performed pre-season; you're obviously not happy he's been signed, so your argument is with GM, nobody else.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 07, 2018, 04:52:14 pm by selby »
  That is wrong Steve, now he has signed I want him to do well, I probably got the wrong end  of the stick with your post, but to my mind he is behind Wilks And Kiwomya at this time, and will have to play well for his place, as it should be.
    I do however think he and one or two others will take some part against Scunthorpe, although I want us to take the game seriously with the money we can make from a good draw if we get through.
  What we do want to do is keep our better players on the field longer, Coppinger is one of those, and we do not want to fall into the trap of bringing him off for the sake of it, which at times we have done to our cost.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 07, 2018, 05:10:26 pm by CottyRover »
According to DFP one unnamed player who did the full 90+ on Saturday is injured and could be out 4 weeks or more. So there will have to be at least one change in the line-up.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 08, 2018, 12:51:08 am by dickos1 »
Not sure it’s relevent how he did in Pre season etc.
Mcann will see him every day in training and If he thinks he’s going to give us a better chance of beating someone he’ll play him.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 08, 2018, 10:11:57 am by selby »
  Dickos, exactly, he sees him in training as he does all the playing staff, reputations should count for nothing when judging playing ability.
   That is exactly what I am talking about, people are pushing for his inclusion on here who may have not even seen him play.
   This so called mystery injury may or may not help to get him established either on the bench or in the team.
   If it is Crawford I would shove Whiteman in that position and bring in McCullough myself, and include Taylor on the bench if he is now match fit.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 08, 2018, 03:21:08 pm by scawsby steve »
  Dickos, exactly, he sees him in training as he does all the playing staff, reputations should count for nothing when judging playing ability.
   That is exactly what I am talking about, people are pushing for his inclusion on here who may have not even seen him play.
   This so called mystery injury may or may not help to get him established either on the bench or in the team.
   If it is Crawford I would shove Whiteman in that position and bring in McCullough myself, and include Taylor on the bench if he is now match fit.

Who's pushing for his inclusion, Brian?.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 08, 2018, 10:52:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Other reasons why I'm looking forward to the first home game of the season are.

The new extended fan park outside the BVB, including vendors selling street food. We have campaigned for competition for Centre plate with food they just cannot deliver. At last it looks as though that manopoly has been broken and fans will have a real good choice improving the pre-match offering.

I always look forward to seeing the pristine pitch and having had a sneaky peek earlier this week, it looks a picture.

These are just a couple of more things to wet the appetite before we see the new regime kick a ball in anger at home for the first time.

It may be still holiday season but news of our opening victory can't have done any harm so I really hope there will be in excess of 6500 to enjoy it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 08, 2018, 10:57:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Hope there will be 8500

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 09, 2018, 08:36:35 am by dickos1 »
The funny thing is, we obviously have good options now.
Only last week people were saying our squad was a weak one.

Attacking midfielder wise we do have great options, Blair, copps, Taylor, Crawford, Rowe,
We’re probably as strong as any side with that type of player.
But we still don’t really have good options for the number 9, full back or defensive midfielder.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 09, 2018, 09:37:54 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think Andrew and Amos between them have got left back sewn up. The right side isn't as strong. Mason needs to get tougher, I still don't think Lund is up to it but I can't see GM adding anyone there just yet.

Yet to see Taylor to see what he can bring to the party plus I don't see why Wilks couldn't adapt to the centre forward position if required. He's a big strong boy!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 09, 2018, 09:48:31 am by selby »
  The new system will alter our perceptions of some of the players as to how they adapt to it.
   The wide front men Wilks and Coppinger, until they went looking for the ball after about 30 minutes on Saturday were passengers as we were pinned back and over run.
  In the second half Coppinger, Crawford and especially Rowe got to grips with their roll, which brought Wilks and Marquis into the game.
  After the substitutions were made, Blair and Whiteman struggled to get a grip, and we lost the ball easily.
  The system is work in progress, but it needs players in the central midfield area that can take care of the ball when they get it, and especially have a good first touch, I have my doubts about whether all our players will adapt.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 09, 2018, 10:00:12 am by dickos1 »
If Crawford is injured I’d okay kiwomya and Wilks with Marquis and coppinger in the middle 3.
He played most of last season as a central midfielder. Coppinger and Rowe ahead of a defensive midfielder would be very good

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 09, 2018, 10:31:39 am by selby »
  Good shout that Dickos, Taylor to cover Coppinger in the later stages if required. I think experience is important in that area in this new system, and both bring that to the table, know what areas to be in, and when and where to play the ball.
  Hopefully Crawford's injury, or whoever it is, is not as serious as feared.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 09, 2018, 01:37:00 pm by RoversAlias »
If Crawford is injured I’d okay kiwomya and Wilks with Marquis and coppinger in the middle 3.
He played most of last season as a central midfielder. Coppinger and Rowe ahead of a defensive midfielder would be very good

I don't personally think Coppinger has the energy to play in that middle 3. He played #10 most of last season, it's not as demanding a role in terms of stamina and getting up and down the pitch. I can't see him being used there by McCann unless he's out of more dedicated central options.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 09, 2018, 02:47:16 pm by dickos1 »
Last season he played deeper than he’s played in previous years, we had beestin pushed on ahead of him.
Copps says he’s as fit as he’s ever been, still leading all the pre season testing.
With someone more defensive behind him and Rowe that would be ideal in the middle of the park

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 09, 2018, 05:34:08 pm by selby »
  I agree Dickos, and it gets our better players on the ball in an important area, last season we were just as likely to see Rowe at left back.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 09, 2018, 08:13:17 pm by drfchound »
Last season he played deeper than he’s played in previous years, we had beestin pushed on ahead of him.
Copps says he’s as fit as he’s ever been, still leading all the pre season testing.
With someone more defensive behind him and Rowe that would be ideal in the middle of the park

Couldn’t agree more.
Apparently Copps still leads the way in training and is as fit as anyone.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 09, 2018, 11:32:41 pm by RoversAlias »
Fit as he may be he has never been the most stellar defensive player and to play in that three you need to be able to get up and down all areas of the pitch and contribute in defence. Add Copps to a front three that are being instructed to stay further forward and you will find we are very vulnerable off the ball. I don't believe Coppinger will be a top option for midfield but hopefully will remain first choice in the front three.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 09, 2018, 11:44:11 pm by dickos1 »
It’s ok to disagree
I think as more games go by you will see the working of this formation, the two wide front players will have to get through an awful lot of work closing full backs down and tracking. And then also providing the width for us in attack.
The three midfielders will stay narrow and compact

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 09, 2018, 11:51:37 pm by RoversAlias »
I agree, and am looking forward to getting to understand our new set-up better just as I'm sure the players are too!

I'm a big fan of Coppinger and hope he fits into it all I just don't see the middle three being the place for him.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 10, 2018, 06:50:10 am by Donnywolf »

It may be still holiday season but news of our opening victory can't have done any harm so I really hope there will be in excess of 6500 to enjoy it.
Hope there will be 8500
My prediction last week was 1001 out (too high) so I will go 7500 this week and one of you will be right !

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 10, 2018, 08:14:29 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Hope there will be 8500
My prediction last week was 1001 out (too high) so I will go 7500 this week and one of you will be right !

6500 I reckon.  Tough game this tomorrow as they're a physical side.  I'm looking for us to play forward quickly and force them back.  Would bring in Mccullough or Kane for Crawford and push Whiteman forward.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 10, 2018, 12:43:08 pm by selby »
  Wycombe have strengthened since the opening game by signing Jason McCarthey a full back from Barnsley,  and Bryn Morris from Shrewsbury a defensive midfielder in the window.
  Whether they will be involved in the starting line up tomorrow who knows, but they kept a clean sheet last week against Blackpool, so I expect them to be a solid unit anyway, and physical.
  An interesting game, and being at home,the first home game this season, we could do with an exciting game to watch, and a good result to open up our season and create  interest. 

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 10, 2018, 01:02:00 pm by the vicar »
It will be a welcome back to Nathan Tyson

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 10, 2018, 01:24:40 pm by IDM »
Let's talk about the Wycombe game?

11 men in red and white will face up to 11 in blue.  Hopefully there will be goals, and more for us than them.  That will do for me ;)

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 10, 2018, 03:37:05 pm by bobbymax »
He was hobbling about on crutches before their game last week so maybe not.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 10, 2018, 06:55:30 pm by drfchound »
He was hobbling about on crutches before their game last week so maybe not.

Wycombe will also be a regular first teamer missing as he was sent off towards the end of their game last Saturday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012