Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:24:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game  (Read 8287 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderer's game
« Reply #60 on August 11, 2018, 06:05:15 pm by IDM »
Let's talk about the Wycombe game?

11 men in red and white will face up to 11 in blue.  Hopefully there will be goals, and more for us than them.  That will do for me ;)

Bump.!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 11, 2018, 06:18:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very enjoyable and refreshing. Best pre-match I can remember for a long time. A real buzz, everyone in and around the fan park enjoying the weather and the entertainment.

The match delivered. Hopefully everyone can now see how McCann wants to play and the players seem fully committed to it. It's a good sign that you remember more about what the full backs did in their half, rather than ours.

Wilkes and Kane are quality but the balance of the team was up there so we can attack from all angles.

Kept up a good tempo throughout the game and we got the rewards. Still room for improvement but we've got to be happy with the entertainment on offer.

More of the same please.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 11, 2018, 06:39:12 pm by pib »
Liked that performance today. Very good.

Wycombe were a horrible cynical team who were wasting time from the first minute but we just brushed it off, stayed patient and coasted it in the 2nd half.

Wilks is clearly going to frustrate and delight in equal measure but there won’t be too many complaints if he keeps scoring goals like that.

Kane looked very good too. Early days but he looks very comfortable on the ball.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 11, 2018, 06:51:17 pm by Campsall rover »
I would swop Kane and Whiteman round personally but the system worked well today. Credit to all the team a job well done in the end.
1st half delivery into the box was poor, but it was only a matter of time before we stamped our authority on the game with goals.
Think Wycombe are nailed on for relegation though.
Yes I know it’s only 2 games.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 11, 2018, 06:57:34 pm by phil o sophical »
 It'll never catch on this playing players in their natural positions and having a balanced team. McCann out  :chair: :chair:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on August 11, 2018, 06:59:01 pm by selby »
As baz said,the whole experience of the game was enjoyable from a spectators view.
    The before game entertainment went down well, helped by the weather, and the game delivered a result and an encouraging performance.
   Everyone played well for me,we looked a balanced side, the substitutes got straight into the game when they came on, and our midfield bossed the game, and produced some excellent football.
   Herbie Kane  was outstanding on his debut. looked the complete all round player, and was a class apart, closely followed by Rowe and Whiteman who also played very well.
  Every player did their bit however, the central defenders coping brilliantly with a physical battle, the full backs working the flanks well, getting crosses in and getting forward, Andrew putting in a shot from distance that was a terrific effort.
  Then up front we had the two amigos, Marquis and Wilks, two complete pillocks if you play against them, or support the opposition, but two players you can only admire if you are a Rover.
  Run the channels, physical presence, and scoring goals, what more could we ask for. Trouble with a capital T, and the pace and work rate  until he tired of Kiwomya alongside them wide, didn't give the Wycombe defence much respite.
   A good performance as far as I am concerned, the pleasing thing In Grants case is that Wilks, Crawford and Kane look excellent loan acquisitions, if they are a sample of the quality of signings he brings to the club, things can only get better.
   And we only need another 44 points for safety, how many seasons have we been able to say that after only 2 games.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 11, 2018, 07:04:42 pm by Alan Southstand »
Crawford isn't a loan and is injured! After that performance from young Kane, he will have a job on getting back in.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 11, 2018, 07:05:48 pm by IDM »
More often than not the earliest games in the season are disjointed and dull..

This was anything but.. not perfect, but as good as we can realistically expect on game day 2..

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 11, 2018, 07:12:44 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Everyone in the team looked like they knew the system and their place within it.  Never once did we look like that under Ferguson.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 11, 2018, 07:14:43 pm by Campsall rover »
When we win our 1st 2 games of a season we get promoted don’t we as has been mentioned in another thread.
Going up, Going up ???

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 11, 2018, 07:35:43 pm by selby »
  Alan, well done you spotted the deliberate mistake all by yourself.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 11, 2018, 09:16:52 pm by ravenrover »
loved the way Whiteman and Kane covered each other, 1 went forward the other dropped in no need for a full tme def mid with this set up.
1 disapointment for me was Kiwomya, far too nesh ran about a lot but did very little when he had the ball, in fact did he have the ball? For me Blair or Copps for the front right position at the moment
Overall I was very happy with that performance

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 11, 2018, 09:23:57 pm by drfchound »
On the subject of Whiteman, he looked better today than I have seen him for a while.
He seemed much more physical in his approach.
There was a foul he committed early on and the Wycombe number ten ran at him, no doubt having a go at him.
Ben stopped and squared up to him and straight away their player backed off.

Also good to see that we took ages to get back into position after each of our three goals.
Something that other teams have done against us on a regular basis.

We do appear to have added “a bit of an edge” to our game.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 11, 2018, 09:33:12 pm by ravenrover »
Yes said at the time it makes a change for us to stop someone in their tracks like Whiteman did, yes the chest came out and he stood tall when the player came back at him and quickly changed  his mind

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 11, 2018, 09:34:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
The only thing I noticed today, and it will improve as the season gets going, is that quite a few of our lads were struggling at about the 65/70 minute mark. Mason was cramping up badly and was eventually subbed and same with Mr Wilks. Kane's incredible work-rate slowed about this time, but my, what a debut.

Other than that very small thing and, taking due consideration of the opposition, there was lots to admire about that performance.

We were all hoping young Kane would not turn out to be another Kongolo, well he certainly answered that question. 2 solid tackles in the first few minutes had me watching him in more detail and he really did get about the pitch. Long may it continue.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 12, 2018, 09:44:52 am by selby »
  Alan I agree, I said in a post last week that playing that system needs players on the bench to come on in midfield, and that substitutions in games are most likely to be to midfielders, than players up front as was more the norm in the past.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012