Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:24:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Notts County game  (Read 7542 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Notts County game
« on November 11, 2018, 05:41:43 pm by selby »
  Not a competition to get everyone interested, but to my mind has become one of the most important games of the season up to press.
   The last thing I would do is trust our fringe players to go into this game and keep our season alive. Yes I am aware that we are still in the FA cup just,and be honest, would you put your house on us winning the replay,and if we do getting to the 3rd round. every team left in the competition is capable of beating us on the day.
  Whatever Grant thinks is his strongest side, I want him to pick it.
  Lots to discuss, What would you do?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Notts County game
« Reply #1 on November 11, 2018, 05:53:55 pm by dknward2 »
Need to win to get confidence back up whoever gets picked need to win no matter what

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 11, 2018, 05:54:17 pm by Alan Southstand »
The manager and his team have to be under pressure and if they're not, why not?

Not doing it for me and there must be one or two on the Board that will be feeling a tad uncomfortable. This season is rapidly going down the pan, I'm afraid.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 11, 2018, 05:57:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
I am still convinced that even with recent form he is an improvement on the last guy. However what do they do on the training ground all week? Yet another soft as shite goal from a corner. Different keeper, same powderpuff defending. How hard can it be with two big lumps like Butler and Anderson to get a head on a ball?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 11, 2018, 06:03:34 pm by selby »
  CbCb, when their player scored with the header, my mate said look at the runofnumber eight, my eyes were on Lawlor, and as he made contact with the header, Lawlor was busy wrestling wit one of their players on the line, not even watching the cross.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 11, 2018, 06:14:54 pm by bpoolrover »
Was it butler or Anderson he beat in the air?

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 11, 2018, 06:27:10 pm by Branton Rover »
It was Marquis

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 11, 2018, 06:30:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
Keeper yet again on their line from set piece - has the penny still not dropped?

Thick as pig sh1t, the lot of 'em.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 11, 2018, 06:38:52 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Just been sniffing around and noticed the other match in this group
grimsby v Newcastle is Tuesday night somehow Grimsby put 3 past mk yesterday

meaning from a point of view of qualifying for this "U turn " competition (meaning as we progress our views on it obviously do a u turn)

both Notts (if they even have a chance) & Rovers will know exactly what they have to do to qualify & Rovers team might be selected accordingly :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 11, 2018, 06:49:44 pm by raggytash »
Everybody in donny knew we were lightweight at the start of the season, due to the clubs reluctance to spend money, we all said there’s no strength in depth and it’s clear we’re 5-6 short with to many players clearly not good enough... also gm seems not to have a plan b... it’s the same gung ho style and formation every game, we get over run time and time again in midfield, he needs to shake it up and quick

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 11, 2018, 08:07:47 pm by RoversAlias »
It was Marquis

It was Marquis but he was Wilks' man, Wilks just let him go and he had the run on a stationary Marquis so I'd say it's more Mallik's fault. Either way we as a team just simply cannot stop conceding from corners and it isn't good enough.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2018, 08:18:38 pm by drfchound »
It was Marquis

It was Marquis but he was Wilks' man, Wilks just let him go and he had the run on a stationary Marquis so I'd say it's more Mallik's fault. Either way we as a team just simply cannot stop conceding from corners and it isn't good enough.

Correct about the scorer getting away from Wilks.
He had a free run at the ball and Marquis tried a last ditch jump to stop him.
No blame on Butler or Anderson.

As for Lawlor, did he have any option other than wrestle with a player on the line?
If he was being held there isn’t a lot he can do about it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2018, 09:21:23 pm by scawsby steve »
  Not a competition to get everyone interested, but to my mind has become one of the most important games of the season up to press.
   The last thing I would do is trust our fringe players to go into this game and keep our season alive. Yes I am aware that we are still in the FA cup just,and be honest, would you put your house on us winning the replay,and if we do getting to the 3rd round. every team left in the competition is capable of beating us on the day.

It's the league that will keep our season alive, not some tinpot reserve competition that's watched by 1500 people.

The big game coming up is Wimbledon at home; lose that and the alarm bells will be ringing.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 11, 2018, 09:25:20 pm by selby »
  Hound, he is about 6ft 4ins, and gets stuck on his line regularly, I was brought up when 5FT 10 ins goalkeepers cleared the lot, and you were.
   He does not come for a catch, and does not always watch the ball kicked by the player taking the corner. for a big lad he is poor, their goalkeeper claimed coppingers corner into the same area minutes later, chalk and cheese.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 11, 2018, 09:41:46 pm by selby »
  Scawsby, every competitive game this club plays is important to me. I want us to be as good as we can be, and the monetary rewards in both these cup competitions can go a long way to the club being able to bring in players that can drive the club forward.
We all know how hard even playing well, and attractive football it has been to attract more support to watch games, and how easily we lose paying customers when we have a bad run of results.
  Over the years we have thrown considerable amounts of money away playing weakend sides, and losing to lesser opposition. I would cut training this week to the minimum required, and play my strongest team in both cup competitions and league games. It is a tinpot reserve competition because we have helped to make it that.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 11, 2018, 09:42:57 pm by bpoolrover »
Can't agree Selby, get them in training everyday and work on set pieces lll

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 11, 2018, 09:56:48 pm by selby »
   Minimum meaning as in physically BPR. agree about set pieces,starting to watch the ball, attacking it, and getting to it first would be a start.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 11, 2018, 10:20:23 pm by Donnywolf »

I think I would put my House on us winning the replay v Chorley. They were out on their feet , overweight in a lot of cases and cynical as hell. With a Ref even slightly netter then todays they will not get away with what they did today

I would have to wait and see whether we can progress in the Tip Pot Cuo before deciding what Team to choose because if by a freak GTFC beat NUFC by a big score (which they really wont) it would leave us and NCFC out so it would be wise to pick me and thee and Hound instead of risking any current squad Players

If we can qualify we should go for it picking the strongest Team available and MAKE the current Team start a winning run - and importantly include splattering Chorley out of sight - and whoever we get in Round 2 - before getting some serious brass in Round 3.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 13, 2018, 08:14:21 am by selby »
  This game has now gained in importance to the club after getting a hard draw in the FA cup whether Mansfield or Charlton
   I agree with Wolfie, if picking a strong lineup is needed after the Grimsby game tonight, and knowing what we have to do, then we should do it, and get the job done
   However if Grant is confident and picks a side full of fringe players, then they should be aware they would be playing to prove they are good enough to have a future at the Rovers.
  We will be playing a not that strong division 2 side whatever team they put out, and if their manager fields an experimental or young side, as most seem to do, with good money in prize money available then anything but a good result will not be acceptable to me, and I hope to the management team.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 13, 2018, 09:20:48 am by dickos1 »
It was Marquis

The guy who scored made a late run from a long way back.
Someone should have been more aware of him but it should be the centre halves orgainisng everyone or the goalkeeper.
In my opinion lawlor shouldn’t be trying to come for that it, too far for him to come out,

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 13, 2018, 09:22:05 am by Donnywolf »
The good thing is (and its a bit off topic) The Trent Navigation Pub is nearby which is home to Navigation Brewery and they will have 4 of their Beers to go at

Also looks to do good food but probably not enough time for the food lol !

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 13, 2018, 12:12:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
It was Marquis

The guy who scored made a late run from a long way back.
Someone should have been more aware of him but it should be the centre halves orgainisng everyone or the goalkeeper.
In my opinion lawlor shouldn’t be trying to come for that it, too far for him to come out,

Both keepers whether Lawlor or Marosi don’t come off their lines do not organise the defence. They’ve never been different under the goal keeping coach and the same under two managers DF and GM. Needs sorting.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 13, 2018, 03:25:02 pm by Donnywolf »
Someone said our GK Coach was the Keeper at Everton when Paulo di Canio caught the Ball that time - in a huge sporting gesture a few should be copying !

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 13, 2018, 03:48:01 pm by since-1969 »
Put out the youth team and save face .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 13, 2018, 04:49:00 pm by selby »
  Why 1969? please explain your statement, I am sure it would be interesting, Have you given up already?
    Wolfie see you in the pub, we go there every time the Rovers play there.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 13, 2018, 05:29:34 pm by Donnywolf »
  Why 1969? please explain your statement, I am sure it would be interesting, Have you given up already?
    Wolfie see you in the pub, we go there every time the Rovers play there.

I would have fancied the 2 for a Tenner or 2 for Twelve deals but I reckon Coach wont get there till after 7 ?

Time for 2 Beers - though. Might even buy you one ! Just splashed out on 9 Bingo Dabbers for PM !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 13, 2018, 06:18:00 pm by selby »
  We travel on the serene over 65's bus run by Higgy(the  travel club). Too many numbers on a card for us, so no dabbers required, just walking sticks.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 13, 2018, 07:55:14 pm by eastender »
Grimsby 1-0 Newcastle U21

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 13, 2018, 08:04:49 pm by eastender »
#    Team            Pl    W D   L   F  A  GD Pts
1    Newcast U21   2   2   0   0   5   1    4   6
2   Doncaster Rrs   2   1   0   1   3   3    0   3