Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:27:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let'stalk about the Wycombe Wanderers game  (Read 7792 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let'stalk about the Wycombe Wanderers game
« on January 07, 2019, 10:27:00 am by selby »
  What a feeling today after that game yesterday, we just have to keep it going now after working so hard to  getting the team and the supporters to empathise and have the feeling we are in this together. Yesterday I feel that was part of our strength, both the team and supporters drawing off each other to become one in the best way.  You could tell at the end of the game what it meant to the players and staff.
   So on to Wycombe who we had our first win ever against in the 3-0 victory earlier in the season, so our chance of another double this season, although we have never tasted victory on their ground, and may I add have never got out of the car park easily at the end of the game.
   Their team contains names we have come up against on a regular basis over the years, two of them our ex players Adebayo Akinfenwa and Nathan Tyson, add Mackail Smith and in the past they have been very good players who can still be a danger.
   In their last game  at home on New Years day they lost 2-0 to Coventry so will want to make amends, and have had time to prepare not having a cup game.
  If we play well we have every chance,but I expect them to be high energy, physical, and direct,a different style of play to Preston, which we will have to match to play our football
  Injuries allowing I expect much the same starting eleven, do you?
   The substitutes bench should have some new names added, are you looking forward to seeing our new additions integrated into the side? and do you see them getting on the field of play?
  Has  that display and result got your mojo working again?
  Are you thinking of going to more  games following our improved form?
   Much to discuss, a game just as, if not more important than cup games, and a game that can cement our position as serious top six contenders, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Let'stalk about the Wycombe Wanderers game
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2019, 10:34:10 am by since-1969 »
After the last we played them it’s a good rodgering on their ground they need and is long over due . We were absolutely rubbish and as for marking the TANK Akinfenwa he bullied Butler every time he went close to him. We are a better side now so I can see us scoring a hat full.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2019, 10:50:40 am by Donnywolf »
I fancy more of the same as well.

They may want to make amends for a  2-0 loss to Coventry and have had a day off and be fresher but at the mo I would back us over anyone

Akinfenwa is physical for sure but he should not bother us (our defence that is) any more surely ?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2019, 10:56:35 am by Chris Black come back »
They have lost their last four in a row and have scored only two goals in the process, including losing at home to shitty AFC Wimbledon.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2019, 11:10:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not sure about a hat full but we have to be confident. As long as the players can swiftly put the FA Cup aside and get back to the bread and butter. All games now demand hard work as we have to earn the right to overcome any team.

I'm sure McCann will study the opposition and might make one or two tweaks now he has 5 more players at his disposal.

It's a fair chance Mason will come back in at right back. Bankers will be Butler, Anderson, Andrew, Whiteman, Kane, Marquis and Wilks. The rest are up for grabs but I think he will elect to stick with Crawford who's energy, link up play and set pieces have gone up a notch.

Blair, May, Coppinger, Rowe, Sadlier, Smith & Wright will all have to wait and see how McCann wants to approach it tactically and on what he sees in training this week.

Whatever the starting XI, the bench will be very strong.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2019, 11:12:28 am by Alickismyhero »
How can anyone as small as Akinfenwa, height wise, head the ball on time and time again when the two centre backs are taller than him,I just don't know. He seemed to get the ball every time against Butler!

I was talking to a friend, a Wycombe supporter, about Akenfenwa and asked why he wasn't playing at the moment,(two weeks ago) He said he was injured but will be back for the Rovers game, we will see.

Its a local game for me, 25mins, all being well I will be there. I don't know why but Wycombe stopped selling tickets in the away end last time yet but there was plenty of spare seats available, I had to sit in the home stand.

I may well  meet up with a friend, Bill, I play golf with who, as a lad was on the Blades books and later played representative games for Wycombe. I suspect we will meet up after the game to discuss the finer points over a beer, If he shows his face that is, so don't let me down Donny like the last time.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2019, 11:16:14 am by idler »
That last game was a good day out ruined by our football or lack of it.
We never got out of first gear.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2019, 11:32:38 am by Alickismyhero »
idler,

you are so right,

I could have kicked a cat,

metaphorically speaking of course.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2019, 12:06:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Akinfenwa is an immovable object so when he stands his ground under the flight of the ball, you've got choices.

1. Muscle him away? Not.
2. Go round the side? No, he's that wide you can't get round him and he'd turn you.
3. Go over the top? Your timing needs to be impeccable but once you hit him, you're likely to end up in a heap.
4. Let him have it? That's what many centre halves do and try to stop him turning in possession and hope you pick up the second balls.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2019, 12:26:42 pm by steve@dcfd »
So I suspect GM will stick to the same eleven.
I believe tomorrow we have a development game against Notts County at home.

So Mason and Wright if fit can play.
Lewis and Horton could play.

Midfield could have Rowe, AJ Greaves and another.

Smith Sadlier and Boocock up front maybe can’t see Copps playing.

Then GM will know his bench for Saturday which could be strong.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2019, 12:36:42 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Akinfenwa is an immovable object so when he stands his ground under the flight of the ball, you've got choices.

1. Muscle him away? Not.
2. Go round the side? No, he's that wide you can't get round him and he'd turn you.
3. Go over the top? Your timing needs to be impeccable but once you hit him, you're likely to end up in a heap.
4. Let him have it? That's what many centre halves do and try to stop him turning in possession and hope you pick up the second balls.

say a couple of months ago when he scored on a saturday Stelling said that was his first in 19 games

if the stats are right on wikipedia he's scored 4 in 16 league matches. From memory he scored more in the second half of last season than the first half as i kept on thinking wtf is happening letting him score so many simple goals

I've had been expecting them to get relegated straight away last season (they used to have a very old team) but was wrong - a defeat here for them could send them closer to the trapdoor

geriatric Tyson started against Coventry and Akinfenwa came on as a sub after 65 minutes

yes they are on a bad run lost last 4  draw before that we have some "Rovers friendly results"

Wycombe 1 Barnsley 0 December 4th
sunderland 1 Wycombe 1 Nov 17th Wycombe scored first and
Wycombe 1 Peterbru 0  November 3rd

pretty obvious they will be playing for a 1-0 at best

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2019, 12:37:56 pm by glosterred »
Having kept the same side for the wins agains Rochdale and PNE I suspect that he will, if all are fit, keep the same side that started those games. Changes to the bench would bring in Smith for one of the young lads along with either Wright or Mason if they are fit for the other young lad.

COYR

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2019, 12:59:25 pm by glosterred »
Just seen this on the Wycombe twitter feed, may affect some journeys

COYR

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2019, 02:59:18 pm by selby »
   The recall of Horton made me wonder if Mason has had a set back with his injury. I hope not as he seems to have settled in the right back position, and was one of those young players you could see getting better as he gained experience.
 When Coppinger came on at Preston there was a marked improvement in our play, and would start for me,probably giving way for Sadlier later in the game if it goes well.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2019, 03:31:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
   The recall of Horton made me wonder if Mason has had a set back with his injury. I hope not as he seems to have settled in the right back position, and was one of those young players you could see getting better as he gained experience.
 When Coppinger came on at Preston there was a marked improvement in our play, and would start for me,probably giving way for Sadlier later in the game if it goes well.

GM quoted he was hoping to send Amos out on loan and bringing Horton back to replace him.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2019, 04:29:06 pm by adamtherover »
Don't change a winning team is my guess, plus, what message would it give the lad.who lost his place....  GM seems.very apt at looking after the mental side of the lads game. After the performance of the season yesterday, only illness or Injury should change the starting line up.

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2019, 04:55:10 pm by jm291 »
Probably posted elsewhere but does anyone know if its pay on the day? Exile potentially on the way up from London to watch

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2019, 10:55:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, let's talk about it, cos I'm depressed about Oldham already! 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 07, 2019, 11:10:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Tyson, Akinfenwa and Makail-Smith up front? Who's on the bench? Methuselah?

It must be a while since we played a side who had three strikers whose combined age exceeded our number of years in the League.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2019, 08:17:50 am by Metalmicky »
Trouble is, three old pros like that are well capable of out foxing us.  I hope we play a high paced game and get out of the traps early.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2019, 03:02:12 pm by Avsuptem »

It must be a while since we played a side who had three strikers whose combined age exceeded our number of years in the League.

I hope they don't still have Methuselah playing for them. Last time I saw him he had a fantastic left peg and could do a brilliant Noah turn but I think he was transferred round about the time of the flood so we should be ok.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2019, 03:39:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
So I suspect GM will stick to the same eleven.
I believe tomorrow we have a development game against Notts County at home.

So Mason and Wright if fit can play.
Lewis and Horton could play.

Midfield could have Rowe, AJ Greaves and another.

Smith Sadlier and Boocock up front maybe can’t see Copps playing.

Then GM will know his bench for Saturday which could be strong.

Neither Mason or Wright played this afternoon.

Lewis (90min)Smith (90min) and Sadlier (subbed) played.

Rowe (90min) and Taylor (subbed) played.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 08, 2019, 04:30:15 pm by drfchound »
........and we lost 4-0.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2019, 04:43:49 pm by steve@dcfd »
........and we lost 4-0.

The score doesn’t count it’s about getting players fit in match conditions.
Rowe and Lewis performances were good. Taylor had a good first half.
Sadlier and Smith needed this game for match fitness.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 08, 2019, 04:45:46 pm by drfchound »
........and we lost 4-0.

Agreed, I posted that because it was missing from the previous one.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 08, 2019, 04:54:15 pm by RedJ »
........and we lost 4-0.

It does to some people. Surprised no one has come on here and told the world how our squad is shit and we're f**ked if Ben Whiteman breaks a toenail or Wilks' hair gets messy.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 08, 2019, 05:11:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
........and we lost 4-0.

It does to some people. Surprised no one has come on here and told the world how our squad is shit and we're f**ked if Ben Whiteman breaks a toenail or Wilks' hair gets messy.
Pointless saying anything we will find out if toenails are broken or hair gets messy

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 09, 2019, 07:12:22 pm by drfchound »

Trouble is, three old pros like that are well capable of out foxing us.  I hope we play a high paced game and get out of the traps early.

I think they will be quite worried by our forwards, one in particular.

I remember that goal by JM against Wycombe when he ran from halfway and sat three players down in their box before slotting home a fantastic goal.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 09, 2019, 08:19:09 pm by philsky »

Any views on how many Rovers fans will be there ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 10, 2019, 07:48:41 am by Donnywolf »
Right at this moment 397 Tickets sold - so can probably add another "good few" for sales today and half of tomorrow so - 475 ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012