Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:28:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game.  (Read 5386 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Portsmouth game.
« on September 30, 2019, 02:03:05 pm by selby »
  Another game against a team that at the start of the season were a fancied promotion team this season, have not started the season like themselves and many others thought they would, but have the players on their books to put a long successful run together of good results.
 In Burgess, Curtis , Pitman, Cannon,Close, and Marquis, they,and others they have playing for them form what should be a very strong group of players at our level, and we will have to be on our top form and respect them to keep our good form up, get the points from this game, and keep the pressure on the top sides in this division.
   The big question about our own side is injuries from the Coventry game, Ennis especially a worry, hopefully Sterling will be fit, and John's injury not as problematic as thought and he is available also.  Wright is a bonus being fit, and the centre of defence looks to be well covered now, as is the goalkeeper position, where  Dieng has come in and looked very solid and commanding in his area.
    Up front the back up to the starters are at best make weights apart from Sterling, we really do need at least one, if not two new players  of better quality to what we have got at the moment. After Ennis went off at Coventry, they dominated the game from then on, as we showed hardly any threat going forward, and had difficulty in holding the ball up in forward areas.
   So, injuries permitting it would be the same team for me, apart from John if fit, I like his pace at the back, and he is competitive, if John is not fit and Ennis is the same team as started at Coventry.
    What team would you pick?
    What do you expect from Portsmouth?
    Do you expect our home crowd numbers to start to pick up with our good form?
    Do you expect us to make signings in the near future?
  Lot's to discuss .about this game, please have your say.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:19:16 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Portsmouth game.
« Reply #1 on September 30, 2019, 04:06:40 pm by RoversAlias »
    What team would you pick?

It would be the same as this past weekend for me, injuries permitting. If John is fit then yes, bring him back in for Daniels but don't rush him back if not. I hope Ennis is fit to start but can see Sadlier deputising there, we will see how the week progresses.

What do you expect from Portsmouth?

I expect them to be a threat, they have lots of good players but just haven't nailed down a playing style this season yet and aren't getting the best out of the group. I hope that continues here, and the fans will be grumbling if they don't start the game well I'm sure. But they're a quality team on their day so we need to be wary.

Do you expect our home crowd numbers to start to pick up with our good form?

I hope so, but it may take some sustained success to really make numbers increase. Like being in the top 3/4 for the majority of the season. I will have another extra one with me this weekend, so I'm doing my bit, but whilst we're in League One the attraction will always be limited.

Do you expect us to make signings in the near future?

No, unfortunately. It is slim pickings in the free agency pool and if Anichebe isn't signed, I don't think anyone will before January. We have to hope that Ennis and Sterling get fit and stay fit through until the transfer window, and hope they can both push on and start scoring.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 30, 2019, 04:23:26 pm by IDM »
I hope Ennis can be fit.. we bumped into his mum before the game on Saturday and you could just tell how proud she was..

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 30, 2019, 04:41:00 pm by scawsby steve »
I agree with most of that Brian, but I'd much prefer Sterling to Cameron Stewart.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 30, 2019, 04:45:48 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Assuming no new incomings, if neither of Ennis or Sterling are fit would anyone consider playing either Wright or Dieng up front, or use them in that capacity from the bench? Apparently Dieng started off as an outfield player including striker.

Question for the oldies - I seem to remember at least of couple of players who started as defenders (football league level) and later turned striker and played for England as a striker. I think Malcolm MacDonald was one, and either or both of Fred Pickering and Frank Wignall? Anyone else remember?

Also I remember Rovers playing at Home against Chesterfield in the 1960's, before substitutes were allowed, and the opposition goalie (Osborne?) injured a hand or shoulder and then went to play on the wing as was a real handful.

Of course our own 1960's goalkeeper Fred Potter was also a striker and played at least one game for us up front

Edit: Just checked and it was indeed John Osborne of Chesterfield and he is credited with an outfield appearance. He went on to play very successfully in goal for West Brom
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:50:03 pm by Dutch Uncle »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 30, 2019, 05:08:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
If DM was right about John looks being out for October. But we should have Daniels and Wright to step in. So defensively we should be ok. The stability of Whiteman and Sheaf in front makes those six look solid. Dieng in goal also improves the defence. I would say those six/ seven as a unit are very good.
Now we come to the attacking unit. If fit the best four we have at the moment are Taylor, Coppinger, Sadlier and Ennis. Behind them and looking to kick start his season, hoping to get over his injury is Sterling.
Without Ennis and Sterling both young players we have a attacking unit that will do their best but it will be a lot of hope.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 30, 2019, 05:11:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
The game hinges on 2 players being fit and able - Sterling (not Stewart) and Ennis. The alternative is to get Anichebe ‘over the line’ this week, as he’s had a pre-season, effectively. Surely, DM will know by now whether he’s going to be suitable for us.

If Ennis and Sterling are fit, then one in and one on the bench. The rest have earned their shirts. Cameron may have to sit this one out, due to the 5 loan rule. Donervon didn’t let anyone down at the weekend and his physicality will come in handy.

Portsmouth will want to start clawing back some points on the top teams, but there appears an air of discontent around the Club at the moment and confidence has been low. However, that win on Saturday, even though they made hard work of it, will have been a boost for them. We have to make sure it was only a one-off.

The crowd will get better when we do eventually complete our squad, as recently referred to by our u23 manager, and Darren gets his striker and another attacking midfielder, as I believe the draws will soon turn into wins, with the 2 right players added.

Fingers crossed for a 99% fit squad this weekend, with only Blair on the treatment table.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 30, 2019, 05:38:24 pm by Campsall rover »
Who is this player called Stewart Brian?
He went under the radar when we signed him.
Presume you meant Sterling.  ;)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 30, 2019, 06:20:28 pm by selby »
  I reserve the right to dream and have a senior moment.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 30, 2019, 07:25:46 pm by drfchound »
I though we had brought in that number nine at last.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 30, 2019, 11:19:58 pm by Drover »
Assuming no new incomings, if neither of Ennis or Sterling are fit would anyone consider playing either Wright or Dieng up front, or use them in that capacity from the bench? Apparently Dieng started off as an outfield player including striker.

Question for the oldies - I seem to remember at least of couple of players who started as defenders (football league level) and later turned striker and played for England as a striker. I think Malcolm MacDonald was one, and either or both of Fred Pickering and Frank Wignall? Anyone else remember?

Also I remember Rovers playing at Home against Chesterfield in the 1960's, before substitutes were allowed, and the opposition goalie (Osborne?) injured a hand or shoulder and then went to play on the wing as was a real handful.

Of course our own 1960's goalkeeper Fred Potter was also a striker and played at least one game for us up front

Edit: Just checked and it was indeed John Osborne of Chesterfield and he is credited with an outfield appearance. He went on to play very successfully in goal for West Brom

Players who made a switch between defense and attack,For Rovers,Dougie? although he never played for England or Scotland,and Bruno Jones made the temporary switch for us in Freight rovers trophy northern final against Tranmere.
other non Rovers linked players who I can think of,Paul Warhurst,Dion dublin,Ian marshall and John Charles.

As regards playing Wright or Dieng up front,not for me,I think I would rather use one of our forwards/wingers(Taylor/Copps etc) to play striker,which one,Im happy to let DM decide,if he has to.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:26:38 pm by Drover »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 01, 2019, 11:29:50 am by sha66y »

If .....and it’s a big if!
Ennis and sterling were both unable to make the squad, I would also consider playing the likes of Dieng or even Wright in the forward line...
Big, clumsy, physical, and fearless .
Are good characteristics to have if you are needing to shake up the opposition....I’m sure they can both head the ball, so for me it would be worth the experiment just for the entertainment value....

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 01, 2019, 12:14:28 pm by selby »
  With Burgess and other big players down the middle in the Portsmouth defence, and having seen them play on a number of occasions in the past for different clubs and Portsmouth, I hope we stay with the set up (mobile and quick up front) we have played this season, rather than a target player, which is normally meat and drink to their defence as Sunderland found out to their cost in the playoffs last season.
  I have no doubt it will be a tough game, and we will have to be on our game, but we have formed a successful way of playing, with threats coming from the front runners and midfield, and building from the back and feeding runners through the lines. If players to carry on this way of playing are fit, I see no reason for change

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 01, 2019, 12:28:15 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Are people seriously on about playing our goalie up front! i know we've injuries but it's not nearly as bad as that

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 01, 2019, 03:02:20 pm by Reesielad »
If you have a look on their forum they are in complete meltdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 01, 2019, 03:24:28 pm by drfchound »
I think the game is too important to consider playing people up front just for entertainment value.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 01, 2019, 04:24:34 pm by scawsby steve »
I think it's time for Hound to get his boots out again.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 01, 2019, 04:43:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I was actually just musing about a late sub more than starting a defender or GK up front tbh. Anyway the injury news seems to be a bit more hopeful at the moment.

Drover - many thanks for the names you mentioned - Paul Warhurst in particular is a great shout I had forgotten about.

IIRC Duggie started as a forward and then turned into a defender rather than vic versa - just like Alan Warboys.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 03, 2019, 12:58:40 pm by selby »
  It is strange to look at the Portsmouth forum, and their opinions on players we know well as good players, and their total lack of trust in them to play well for Portsmouth.
  An interesting comment is the lack of any left footed players, making the team unbalanced, and lacking penetration in the forward positions.
  With no news on whether at last we are likely to strengthen before the weekend, then I expect the same team to start for us, and hopefully Sterling and Ennis will ease our worries up front, with both players hopefully fit to play.
  Play well and we are a match for any team at this level, let's hope that Portsmouth continue to be a little off colour for at least another week.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 03, 2019, 02:15:08 pm by drfchound »
Hi selby, I suppose the Portsmouth fans are no different to ours.
How many times do we hear people berating our own players when fans of other teams seem to have a good opinion of them.
I guess that it is just normal for supporters to expect their own players to be infallible.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 03, 2019, 02:27:19 pm by Reesielad »
No Sterling for this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 03, 2019, 04:26:58 pm by selby »
  If Sterling is missing it is a knock back for the club and for the player, who has not had the best start with injuries while being here with us.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 03, 2019, 04:48:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Two very good pre match interviews on RS from DM and Copps, particularly Copps who's seen it all and makes reference to the different approaches of our current and previous managers.

Interesting comments from DM about the triallist Kian Flanagan. Appears to be planning ahead, giving both parties a chance to look at each other. I suspect DM may have January in mind with a view to improving the squad but is very non committal at the moment and quite rightly so.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 04, 2019, 05:28:53 pm by WheatleyRover »
Lets get a good turn out tomorrow and get behind the lads, 140 years, the club deserves this towns support, be nice to see some more bums on seats, lots of empty seats in the west and east looking at the online count

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 04, 2019, 06:04:40 pm by selby »
 It will be interesting to see if our new signing Thomas  is  included in the squad tomorrow, probably as cover for Ennis.
 He has everything to gain to try and get his career as a league player back on track, and the club are covered by giving him a short term contract, and the lad has a chance here with us.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 04, 2019, 06:39:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If anyone can get the best out of a player DM can!

chave

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 05, 2019, 09:40:59 am by chave »
Ponpey fan here. Certainly a good time to play us - Fans have turned on Jackett amid rumours he's lost the dressing room, and the players have started criticising the fans for not showing enough support.

We laboured to a 1-0 win against Bolton last week, only our second league win of the season. Biggest drawback for us has been our defence. We lost all our first choice back four from last year to either injury or other clubs, and the new players havent settled. Downing started the season as 1st choice centre back, but didn't even make the match day squad last week. Lately its seemed teams can score at will any time they attack.

We've also been weakened by injuries and players leaving up front. Harness, signed from Burton in the summer, looks our best player and is returning from injury. Without him we've struggled to give Marquis the service to feet he thrives on, and hes only scored once in the league all year. On paper our attack is the best in the league but they havent clicked yet, so Jackett is likely to try a 442 with Marquis and Pitman up front to see if that fixes our issues.

Hard to predict a Pompey win the way we've been playing, hopefully it's a good game though!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 05, 2019, 09:53:02 am by NickDRFC »
Ponpey fan here. Certainly a good time to play us - Fans have turned on Jackett amid rumours he's lost the dressing room, and the players have started criticising the fans for not showing enough support.

We laboured to a 1-0 win against Bolton last week, only our second league win of the season. Biggest drawback for us has been our defence. We lost all our first choice back four from last year to either injury or other clubs, and the new players havent settled. Downing started the season as 1st choice centre back, but didn't even make the match day squad last week. Lately its seemed teams can score at will any time they attack.

We've also been weakened by injuries and players leaving up front. Harness, signed from Burton in the summer, looks our best player and is returning from injury. Without him we've struggled to give Marquis the service to feet he thrives on, and hes only scored once in the league all year. On paper our attack is the best in the league but they havent clicked yet, so Jackett is likely to try a 442 with Marquis and Pitman up front to see if that fixes our issues.

Hard to predict a Pompey win the way we've been playing, hopefully it's a good game though!

It's not clicked for you yet but on paper you still have a very strong squad and it's only a matter of time before results improve. Just hope it's not today! Our biggest concern is goals - if Ennis & Sterling aren't fit we'll be starting Sadlier up front. Excellent player as he is, he's better pulling the strings playing off a striker and with him up front for the first couple of games of the season we didn't look anywhere near as threatening as we have recently. Either way, still hopeful we can get a win today which would be a great result.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 05, 2019, 10:01:03 am by dknward2 »
Thank you for that honest assessment unfortunately we may play today without a recognised out and out striker, thankfully we seem to be scoring goals from players all over the pitch not unlike our last promotion from this league.

Hopefully we see a good fair game with a decent ref unfortunately can’t see it we have a habit of helping teams that have been struggling

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 06, 2019, 09:11:15 am by selby »
  A prophetic post by dknward2, my thoughts entirely when I heard that Ennis  was not playing my heart sank a little, and we do seem most seasons to get decent teams out of ruts on a regular basis, both things I pointed out before this game, either on this thread or another during the week. We are not as good in front of goal as most teams fnacied to do well in this division.
  Luck deserting us,lack of natural goal scorers, silly mistakes, combined to bring about the result, and lots of pretty football although mainly in areas of the pitch that a team is quite happy for us to have the ball, and help to pull our side out of shape and cover players, all were on show.
  In a game of football, you can do what you want on the field with a ball within the rules of the game, you could run around with the ball stuck to your forehead for 90 minutes if you want to, the only thing that counts is putting the ball in those two onion bags at each end of the field.
  The team we fielded yesterday don't have a player who does that on a regular basis, and is the reason we should have beaten two top sides in this division in the last two games and have only got one point from six.
  Whatever else this club does,  the main thing we have to do is try and address this situation  if we are to have any success this season and get a couple of goal scorers in.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012