Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:39:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wamderers game  (Read 3711 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Wycombe Wamderers game
« on November 20, 2019, 10:03:15 am by selby »
  Probably the surprise team of League 1 this season at the moment in a promotion place with more fancied teams like Sunderland And Portsmouth visiting their ground and leaving beaten and with their tails between their legs.
  For us to come away with any points we are going to have to play at somewhere near our best form, Wycombe on a nine game unbeaten run having won 6 and drawn three, and are dangerous up front and strong in defence.
   Their next two games are against ourselves and Ipswich, two games their fans are touting as games they can prove their true credentials as serious contenders for promotion, if they do well against us both, so at least we are seen by them as a decent side.
  They have a few forwards who are dangerous, Jacobson, Afinkenwa, Kashnet, and Odyedinma  all scoring vital goals, and have a tight defence with two well thought of wing backs and central defenders.
   We will need to be on our game from the off, and play well in both halves of the game, unlike in the last few games when we have seemed to play well for parts of the game, and not impose  our game on the opposition in other periods.
  What side we will field is not straight forward in some positions, the central defenders are in for a physical examination whoever plays, Wright and Anderson would be my pick,
   The Full backs and midfield are a shoe in if everyone is fit, and Sadlier would start for me if we set up the same as last night, but would Gomes  lying more central and deeper give us more  in midfield to start the game?
   Unlike some I thought Thomas did a good job last night linking play, yes he didn't show a lot in the area, but is a unit most would not like to mark, and is getting better and fitter. If we are forced back, and our build up is slow in front of their defence like in the first half last night, not many forwards would show up well.
  The worst thing about the game is the travel for the away supporters, general traffic can be bad, and the last few miles , getting in and out of the ground is terrible, with seemingly one way  in and out, and a major roundabout to negotiate.
   Are you going to the game?
   Are you confident we can get a result?
   Would you make changes?
   Would a win show we were credible promotion challengers?
  Lot's to discuss as we get back hopefully to regular footie, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wamderers game
« Reply #1 on November 20, 2019, 12:22:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Wycombe have been the surprise team this season.
In my pre season prediction which i do every year i had them 3rd from bottom after Bury were expelled. So only Bolton & Wimbledon i had below them.
So unless they do a quite remarkable collapse my prediction has gone very astray.

This is going to be a big test for us on Saturday and it will be a serious pointer towards our promotion potential. I don’t though see it as a defining one as there is a lot of football to be played between now and May.

Akinfenwa was a problem for our defenders last season particularly when he came on as a sub at Adams Park and changed the game. If my memory is correct i think we were 2-0 up when he came on and we subsequently went on to lose the game.
Need i say any more.
Personally sometimes i think you just have to let him win the 1st ball as he is such a powerful unit and just concentrate on winning the 2nd ball that’s played off him.

Wycombe are going to lose a game sooner or later so i don’t see why it can’t be this Saturday. If we are at it from the start take our chances and keep our discipline and organisation when we don’t have the ball then we can win this game.
Let’s face it we are due a win on that ground ( never won there ) and Wycombe well overdue a defeat.
I would start Thomas up front with Sadlier in for Gomes. Otherwise unchanged from last night. Bingham is a good option to come on if required up front as he did well last night in the short time he played.
Looking forward to this one, hopefully it will be a happy coach coming home.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:25:50 pm by Campsall rover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 20, 2019, 06:15:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Similar to how Shrewsbury started the other season, we expect Wycombe to blow up at some point but credit to them, they keep going. They clearly have belief in what they are doing.

Not sure we have the same belief given the stop/start nature to the season we have had so far. That said, we've played Ipswich and other form teams and played them off the park for long periods.

Tough game. I'll take a point.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 20, 2019, 10:22:59 pm by dknward2 »
Playing extra time in their game tonight losing vs Tranmere who have played with 10 men after a sending off on 40 mins. Hopefully it will be demoralizing and we can take advantage on Saturday

Just finished lost 2-1.

Maybe they just want to concentrate on the league but for me winning breeds Winning.

They have done well up to now but their next run of fixtures against the so called harder teams will show if they really mean business.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:26:11 pm by dknward2 »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 20, 2019, 10:26:02 pm by since-1969 »
Second Half Extra Time ends, Wycombe Wanderers 1, Tranmere Rovers 2. Got to be good for us now they’ve had their arses kicked at home by 10 men

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 21, 2019, 04:30:21 am by roversdude »
Hopefully they played first team and they’re knackered for Saturday lol

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 21, 2019, 05:38:45 am by Alan Southstand »
Normally, after a defeat, the manager expects (and will probably get) a reaction from the players. I don’t see dropping out of the FA Cup as a bad thing for them and it leaves them to concentrate on the league.

The only thing in our favour is the possible fatigue it may bring, but that may only show towards the end of the game. And I’m not sure how many were ‘rested’ last night, either.

They have certainly found a level of consistency in the league and that is commendable.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 21, 2019, 10:20:11 am by selby »
  I am with you Alan, a reaction will be expected, and their players pride will be hurting thinking they are better than that and will want to put things right.
  Nothing changes though as far as we are concerned, whatever they throw at us we have to be ready, play our own game, and impose ourselves on them in an important game. We have to think that they will be on their game, and we have to be better than them on the day to win.
  Every team, even the best have periods in a season when form  dips, and they have a couple of poor results, so hopefully we have dropped on Wycombe during one of those periods.
  Although we are a fairly new team, different quite a bit from last season player wise, we have seen enough of them to realise, at our fluid best, we can match most teams in this division for playing football that is  direct, fast, and can trouble teams, so can go there with confidence we are capable of getting a good result.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 21, 2019, 12:32:37 pm by Retdon1 »
Normally, after a defeat, the manager expects (and will probably get) a reaction from the players. I don’t see dropping out of the FA Cup as a bad thing for them and it leaves them to concentrate on the league.

The only thing in our favour is the possible fatigue it may bring, but that may only show towards the end of the game. And I’m not sure how many were ‘rested’ last night, either.

They have certainly found a level of consistency in the league and that is commendable.

SSN this morning said they made 3 changes last night

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 21, 2019, 12:41:01 pm by Alan Southstand »
Obviously, then, 3 players without whom they would find difficulty in maintaining their consistency.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 21, 2019, 12:51:13 pm by IDM »
But also 8 regulars..

Shouldn’t make any difference as these are professional athletes, unless they picked up little injuries I wouldn’t take last nights game to be of any consequence for Saturday.

At our best, we an beat anyone in this division.

I haven’t seen enough on Wycombe to see what their performances have been like, or have they been able to grind out consistent results so far.?

Will be happy with a draw to be honest.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 21, 2019, 02:07:01 pm by since-1969 »
We need to do better than last couple of seasons where we’ve allowed them to bully the game and end up coming away with nothing . 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 21, 2019, 02:33:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
Last season our capitulation there was an embarrassment. As bad as any (there were more than a few) under Ferguson or Dickov. Totally spineless.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 21, 2019, 03:21:12 pm by IDM »
Although we beat them comfortably at home I remember..

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 21, 2019, 04:19:03 pm by Rovers91 »
I fancy us to win 2-1 on Saturday.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 22, 2019, 08:51:58 am by mrfrostsdad »
Having watched them play away at Tranmere on the telly last weekend, they don't look anything special at all to me. Tranmere were the best team in the second half by a distance.
If we play to the best of our potential, I fully expect us to come away with a result.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 22, 2019, 08:56:39 am by Chris Black come back »
Their home record in League One this season is absolutely terrifying - played 9, won 7, drawn 2. They have beaten Sunderland, Portsmouth and Shrewsbury and drawn with Peterborough. This will be a very tough game.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 22, 2019, 09:17:47 am by IDM »
Hopefully our players won’t be distracted by the Bolton fiasco.

Don’t forget we also made Peterborough look very ordinary as well as Portsmouth (despite the actual result) - we will need to be at our best butvwe shouldn’t fear any team in this division..

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 22, 2019, 10:05:29 am by Campsall rover »
Their home record in League One this season is absolutely terrifying - played 9, won 7, drawn 2. They have beaten Sunderland, Portsmouth and Shrewsbury and drawn with Peterborough. This will be a very tough game.
Even more reason why we could beat them. They are not going to go the whole season unbeaten at home.
Well very unlikely imo.
So why not us to be party poopers tomorrow. Go out with a winning mentality and we have every chance.

I think Wycombe have done remarkably well so far this season but i just can’t see them finishing in the top 2 come the end of the season. In fact i will go as far as saying they may not even make the top 6.
Could have egg on my face of course and Shrewsbury defied the odds 2 seasons ago.
But I think they are way over achieving at the moment as i had them as relegation candidates pre season.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 22, 2019, 04:20:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Agree. As DM says, every player has to win their own personal battle. We will have to at least match them for the full 90 odd minutes.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 22, 2019, 05:35:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
Currently, they have a much more settled squad with a lot of belief and that goes a long way. Compare and contrast with us and it seems we fall short. Some of that is no fault of ours, what with postponed fixtures, etc. Then there’s the striker situation that is far from ideal.

Hoping for a win, would settle for a draw, but I think we’ll probably lose this one.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 22, 2019, 05:36:42 pm by IDM »
I’m sure we can match them for belief in our own abilities however..

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 22, 2019, 11:25:04 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
i looked at the odds out of interest for this match expecting Rovers to be 3/1 or whatever

the draw is a best priced 5/2 but the best price Rovers to win is ONLY just over 2/1

in my world there is more chance of a draw than Rovers winning unless Ennis or Stirling (and or turn out)

but when you look at Wycombes last 4  results you can argue whatever you want to prove your point

in simple terms 3 out of the last 4 of Wycombes matches have been against Tranmere !!

midweek F A Cup replay we have Wycombe 1 Tranmere 2 (after extra time) & 10 men Trannie

week before in the league Tranmere 0 Wycombe 2  !!!!!

MK Dons 1 Wycombe 2

and then Tranmere 2 wycombe 2 ( the score went 1-0 1-1 1-2 & 2-2)

so should we take that Wycombe loss seriously ? they missed out on a gimmie ( v Chichester) to get into the 3rd round

you pays your money and takes your choice

Graham Hirst

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 23, 2019, 08:57:15 am by Graham Hirst »
I'm not reading too much into Wycombe defeat v Tranmere,, Tranmere keeper made several excellent saves, having said that they had two chances and scored two goals , so to quote a cliche we need to take our chances COYR

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 23, 2019, 02:12:29 pm by Retdon1 »
How on earth is Gomez keeping Sadlier out of the side

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 23, 2019, 02:41:01 pm by eastender »
How on earth is Gomez keeping Sadlier out of the side

May be DM just wants to be a bit more defensive against a top side away from home.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 23, 2019, 02:48:25 pm by andysly »
But that doesn't cover why Gomes was also in front of Sadlier against Wimbledon.

Maybe Sadlier has a slight injury and DM wants to keep him out of the front line if possible, no other explanation i can think of.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 23, 2019, 03:01:54 pm by drfchound »
To be fair, Sadlier hasn't been at his best in the last two or three matches that he played (since the international call up thing) so maybe DM is trying to keep KS's feet on the ground.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 23, 2019, 05:12:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012