Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:09:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Rochdale game  (Read 8839 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« on January 16, 2021, 07:47:43 pm by selby »
  Well after a hard earned and very welcome three points at Swindon we hardly have time to catch our breath and away we go with another game against a side fighting to stay in this division, and are doing it by scoring for fun.
  Lund and Stephen Humphrys who we were linked with last season when he was at Southend are two players who are in the top scorers list for Division 1 and will test our defence to the limits.
  A club I have the utmost respect for continually competing at a decent level, occasionally having punts at play offs and cup runs, and always seeming to bring along good players that move up the divisions that have been cast off previously by other clubs, and all within a few miles and in the shadow of some of the biggest clubs in the world, underestimate them at your peril.
  Their last few league games have been a feast of goals at both ends of the field suggesting their defence dare I say it is slightly vulnerable
which has been alluded to on another thread and us being Doncaster Rovers points us to a nil nil draw., although we ourselves have scored our fair share and also rarely keep a clean sheet.
  What team we will be able to field for this game, because of suspensions and new injuries especially to JJ throws our team selection not at any time easy to guess even harder than the norm, Jones at No9 anyone?
  Seriously our squad size and the number of games in a short period is now causing us some difficulties although every youngster thrown in Jones, Grieves, Amos, Lokilo (he of the lovely chip stand up to the far post for our second goal today) have all done well and will want more game time as will Horton and are a credit to the youth coaches, are we at last seeing players coming through, at least this manager gives them a go, and yes I know Lokilo was at CP but had time here last season after not getting a chance there.
  Will we see anyone new for this game? doubtful with the time available but Darren did say on Radio Dee Dah we were looking.
  What positions really stand out to you as we need to strengthen?
  Would you go for someone like Humphrys who was supposedly on our radar or someone who has not yet got a club from the beginning of the season? as someone said on the list are a few decent players by reputation, but would they be ready to go fitness wise?
  Would you go for a raw diamond from non league who is a goal scorer at that level?
  Loans or a signings?
  Can we stop them scoring?
  As ever Lot's to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« Reply #1 on January 17, 2021, 12:15:29 am by Alan Southstand »
We may be able to put 11 on the field, but what/who could we put on the bench? We are now desperate for reinforcements and they need to come in ASAP. The problem is, of course, they need to be fit and ready to play!

Fingers crossed for JJ, but it doesn’t look good for him. Gomes still out, Wright now with a calf injury, who joins Copps, with the same problem. No Reece James either, with his yellow card.

Any more injuries and/or red cards and we’ll be struggling to name 11 players. Having said all that, the manager continues to get it right, along with a fierce determination from the players.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 17, 2021, 12:40:03 am by RoversAlias »
Balcombe

Halliday
Anderson
Butler
John

Smith
Richards

Lokilo
Simoes
Taylor

Okenabirhie

That is a strong XI but it is almost a default selection if TJJ is out as expected along with all the other absentees.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 17, 2021, 09:59:23 am by Chris Black come back »
That’s fine I think, so long as Taylor and Smith are up to a full game. The bench will be a bit short of names and experience, would be Jones, Horton, Greaves, Amos, errrrm?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 17, 2021, 10:15:12 am by selby »
  The front four you have selected are probably our fastest with regards to pace we have had for a long time.
  And the four subs are from our much maligned youth system and have not in any way let us down when coming on in some tricky situations.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 17, 2021, 10:35:28 am by Alan Southstand »
Only 3 outfield players there, though. Where’s young Ravenhill? Is he injured as well? Absolutely zero back-up for Fej, so it’s obvious what we need to add to the squad.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 17, 2021, 11:36:35 am by Campsall rover »
Think we have signed a very good goalkeeper.
Thought Bursik was decent, very good shot stopper. but not great coming for crosses.
Lumley was an improvement on crosses but not totally dominant.
This lad Balcolme looks the real deal though.
So with Jones as back up we are ok in that dept.

Back 4 if we get another centre back injured we will be short although I understand Horton can play in that position.
We need one more midfielder in and unquestionably a striker.
I would imagine Simoes may be able to play as a striker but better playing off someone else rather than on his own.

Yes we look very short after the 1st 11 which virtually picks itself for Tuesday.

I expect a couple more loan players to come in hopefully next week. 2 players who are up to speed match fitness wise who could go straight into the match day 11 if required.

Hopefully, Wright, Copps and Gomes will all be fit for the following League game at Lincoln.  A real 6 pointer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:42:07 am by Campsall rover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 17, 2021, 11:57:55 am by Chris Black come back »
Balcombe looks good. His distribution much better than against Blackburn.

If Fej is injured we really do have nobody. Not even a Sadlier-style make-do.

Who would it be? Maybe ask Simaes to play there? Can’t think of anyone else.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 17, 2021, 02:11:46 pm by Plumbster »
We need JT and Lokilo to step up and be much more effective in the final third imo- there were signs from Lokilo yesterday that he is starting to do that

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 17, 2021, 02:56:47 pm by dickos1 »
Lokilo made the second goal yesterday with a great cross

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 17, 2021, 03:06:51 pm by Plumbster »
Agreed I hope he takes a lot of confidence from that

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 17, 2021, 04:24:59 pm by RoversAlias »
That’s fine I think, so long as Taylor and Smith are up to a full game. The bench will be a bit short of names and experience, would be Jones, Horton, Greaves, Amos, errrrm?

Ravenhill and Williams too. But yes I think that's it unfortunately!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 17, 2021, 04:26:18 pm by Retdon1 »
Have we got any strikers in the youth team that could step up and get a place on the bench ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 17, 2021, 04:40:25 pm by selby »
Luka Nelson and Aleksander Wolney two tough quick forwards hard working off the ball, who knows, Rashford got a start when never thought of really, just in the right place at the right time and never looked back.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 17, 2021, 06:48:35 pm by NickDRFC »
  The front four you have selected are probably our fastest with regards to pace we have had for a long time.
  And the four subs are from our much maligned youth system and have not in any way let us down when coming on in some tricky situations.

It’s great that we’re seeing players from the youth system getting minutes but, Amos aside, the majority of the time that these players are on the bench in the first place is because we have had injury issues. Hopefully they show enough promise to become first team regulars but I wouldn’t say there are any signs just yet of improved output from the youth team just because of a handful of sub appearances.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 17, 2021, 06:58:19 pm by albie »
Forecast is for a deluge all day on Tuesday, so it might be rained off.
Not such a bad thing if we are struggling for numbers, but the fixture log jam is going to be an issue.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 17, 2021, 07:34:39 pm by scawsby steve »
Think we have signed a very good goalkeeper.
Thought Bursik was decent, very good shot stopper. but not great coming for crosses.
Lumley was an improvement on crosses but not totally dominant.
This lad Balcolme looks the real deal though.
So with Jones as back up we are ok in that dept.

Back 4 if we get another centre back injured we will be short although I understand Horton can play in that position.
We need one more midfielder in and unquestionably a striker.
I would imagine Simoes may be able to play as a striker but better playing off someone else rather than on his own.

Yes we look very short after the 1st 11 which virtually picks itself for Tuesday.

I expect a couple more loan players to come in hopefully next week. 2 players who are up to speed match fitness wise who could go straight into the match day 11 if required.

Hopefully, Wright, Copps and Gomes will all be fit for the following League game at Lincoln.  A real 6 pointer.

Cameron John is a centre back. We'll be OK there.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 17, 2021, 08:02:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I thought Lokilo had one of his better games so far.

Simoes looks a similar sort of player, maybe odd times doing some fancy stuff in the wrong area but he showed he can cut in and shoot.

I would think it likely they will flank Fej.

With James out DM will either promote Halliday to midfield or give further game time to Greaves or Hasani depending how he assesses Rochdale's threat.

He still has some wriggle room with selections but he'll want to maintain his preferred style of play with Richards playing a pivotal role again no doubt.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 17, 2021, 08:09:43 pm by albie »
Hasani is now at Gateshead on loan.

Played for them on Sat, and I think cannot be recalled until 28 days have passed.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 17, 2021, 08:35:27 pm by NickDRFC »
I thought Lokilo had one of his better games so far.

Simoes looks a similar sort of player, maybe odd times doing some fancy stuff in the wrong area but he showed he can cut in and shoot.

I would think it likely they will flank Fej.

With James out DM will either promote Halliday to midfield or give further game time to Greaves or Hasani depending how he assesses Rochdale's threat.

He still has some wriggle room with selections but he'll want to maintain his preferred style of play with Richards playing a pivotal role again no doubt.

Whilst Wright is out Halliday will stop at right back - who else could play there?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 17, 2021, 08:48:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
             Balcombe
Halliday Anderson Butler John
         Richards.   Smith
Taylor.        Simoes     Lokilo
             Okenabirhie

Jones Horton Blythe. Amos Greaves Ravenhill Williams     

I know there both left footed but Horton or Amos could play right back and put Halliday in midfield but the defence is working well so why put it at risk.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:52:43 pm by steve@dcfd »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 17, 2021, 09:23:10 pm by Alan Southstand »
From Balcombe to Smith the side picks itself and right now, so do the top 4. The options on the bench are not game changers. They’ll do a job, when called upon, but we can’t expect any of them to give us a tactical edge.

We’re passed the point, now, where reinforcements are necessary. After Tuesday, we get Reece back in the squad, but it’s not enough. We need Wright for cover at the back, Copps and Gomes for cover in midfield and JJ back urgently. All those things are not going to happen quickly enough, unfortunately.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 18, 2021, 11:39:35 am by selby »
  I share your fears to a degree Alan. but righting off lads contributions before a game is played and they have had a chance at that level is going a bit far.
  I know we are pushing it but so did Leeds, Manchester United and Chelsea in the distant past when they got to the point when they had to, at a different level with Manchester United admitted, but all did it because older players were not performing and they were in last chance saloon, as Crewe did and had their best period ever.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 18, 2021, 12:14:38 pm by selby »
  Looking at Rochdale's own forums it looks as though Rochdale themselves have problems with injuries and suspensions to an already small squad, especially in the central defensive positions, so somewhat matching our own problems up front.
  As I said for the last match we don't do easy so I am expecting another close game  that keeps the nerves on edge until the final whistle and am just hoping we can carry on the little run again.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 18, 2021, 12:31:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
Selby, I thought you knew me better than that! Nobody is writing anyone off, yet. All I’m saying is the young lads are what they are - relatively untried and untested. They will not let anyone down intentionally and will give it 110%, but you can’t plan your game around untried youngsters - not yet.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 18, 2021, 01:14:32 pm by selby »
  Alan, I don't expect us for one minute to plan our game strategy around young untried players, nor at this juncture do I see the need for it.
  I have always been an advocate of introducing youngsters in ones and twos when games allow, especially if you look in good control of the game or even when a game has got away from you, which is harder on the youngster but has it's benefits as we saw with Hasani at Luton a couple of years back.
  But two things, clubs are both reluctant to commit to bringing in new players and adding to the wage bill throughout the divisions at the moment, also conversely reluctant to let players out on loan with the meagre returns offered to cover existing wages by the loaning clubs, which means the class of player in the market is much reduced from past seasons.
   Yes there will be the odd exceptions, and as the end of the window nears managers and especially supporters will get more desperate  which causes panic and mistakes to be made, something as a club in the financial circumstances we are in we have got to avoid.
  Nobody would be happier than myself  for us to add good players to the squad, if the lad from Fulham is available and good enough great go for it, but I have no problems with the club being cautious, trying our own youngsters if they have confidence in them and just seeing what they can actually offer us, if staged and not all thrown in at once, given part games to rest the senior players somewhat at a busy time, both the club and the youngsters themselves can be winners out of the situation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:22:04 pm by selby »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 18, 2021, 01:16:39 pm by Filo »
With the amount of rain forecast over the next 48 hours it might be called off

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 18, 2021, 01:24:30 pm by selby »
  I have seen us play at the Keepmoat in some heavy wet conditions, and can't remember the pitch being unfit to play on
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:55:06 pm by selby »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 18, 2021, 01:37:52 pm by Filo »
  I have seen us pl.y at the Keepmoat in some heavy wet conditions, and can't remember the pitch being unfit to play on

2nd April 2018 v Wimbledon

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2018/april/game-off-match-at-doncaster-is-postponed/

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 18, 2021, 01:56:42 pm by steve@dcfd »
Another article from Liam DM talks about using the two older players from the young group. Brandon Horton and A J Greaves. He believes with the amount of games we have to play they will have to play some part. He believes that AJ showed on Saturday what he has picked up being out on loan and around the first team group since games were curtailed at Gainsborough and Reddich.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012