Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:43:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Rochdale game  (Read 8831 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« Reply #30 on January 18, 2021, 02:01:03 pm by selby »
  April before the new pitch was laid and at the end of the season when rugby and football had been played all season. Plus fixture congestion already building up,and it will be on the ground that  has had very little use this season compared with others.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:44:32 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 18, 2021, 04:12:35 pm by Campsall rover »
Think we have signed a very good goalkeeper.
Thought Bursik was decent, very good shot stopper. but not great coming for crosses.
Lumley was an improvement on crosses but not totally dominant.
This lad Balcolme looks the real deal though.
So with Jones as back up we are ok in that dept.

Back 4 if we get another centre back injured we will be short although I understand Horton can play in that position.
We need one more midfielder in and unquestionably a striker.
I would imagine Simoes may be able to play as a striker but better playing off someone else rather than on his own.

Yes we look very short after the 1st 11 which virtually picks itself for Tuesday.

I expect a couple more loan players to come in hopefully next week. 2 players who are up to speed match fitness wise who could go straight into the match day 11 if required.

Hopefully, Wright, Copps and Gomes will all be fit for the following League game at Lincoln.  A real 6 pointer.

Cameron John is a centre back. We'll be OK there.
Yes SS thanks, I almost forgot he was a centre back!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:25:09 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 18, 2021, 05:09:14 pm by drfchound »
  I have seen us pl.y at the Keepmoat in some heavy wet conditions, and can't remember the pitch being unfit to play on

2nd April 2018 v Wimbledon

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2018/april/game-off-match-at-doncaster-is-postponed/

I remember another home game being called off at very late notice in the last three or four years, I think it should have been against MK Dons.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 18, 2021, 08:04:45 pm by idler »
Don't remind me. We got all the way to the ground before we found out.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 18, 2021, 09:09:30 pm by drfchound »
So did me and my mate, he had travelled to my house from Selby as well.
I had watched football focus before we left and there was no mention of our game being off.
The decision was made VERY late.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 18, 2021, 09:37:15 pm by idler »
The worst thing for me was that we left early so I could shop at the Lakeside with the granddaughter. At least the Leeds ring road was quiet as we came back.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 18, 2021, 09:49:41 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Some fair comments from the Rochdale fans’ forum:

THE OPPOSITION:

Perhaps 'play-off chasing' is an unfair description of Doncaster Rovers right now, as only three points separate them from Hull City in the automatic promotion spots after five victories in their last six matches.

Although Rovers were never considered to be among the frontrunners for promotion this term, they are very much in the hunt at this stage and with two games in hand on the Tigers they'll perhaps be targeting Tuesday night's fixture against relegation-threatened opposition as one in which to really stamp their mark on the chase for a top two spot.

The run of fixtures, it has to be said, has been kind for Donny. In those six matches that have yielded five wins, they've played no team higher than 12th placed Gillingham facing Swindon in second-bottom twice and Burton Albion, who are currently in 24th, once.

However, performances have been very deserving of the points that they have amassed in this run and this is a very youthful, energetic side. The evergreen 40 year old James Coppinger aside, Donny don't have another player over the age of 28 in their rather small, tight-knit squad at the Keepmoat Stadium.

They have, however, just lost the key component to their side in captain Ben Whiteman. The Rochdale-born midfielder had made over 100 appearances in South Yorkshire, but left the club to join Preston North End last week, in an undisclosed deal believed to be worth six figures to the South Yorkshire side.

Although the money hasn't yet been re-invested in the squad, highly-rated coach Darren Moore has moved to bring in two loanees so far in this transfer window, with Ellery Balcombe and Elliot Simeos joining from Championship clubs Brentford and Barnsley respectively.

Moore, whose sacking at West Bromwich Albion was seen as slightly harsh in the 2018/2019 campaign, arrived at the Keepmoat in the following summer and led the club to a 9th placed finish on PPG, although their hopes of gate-crashing the play-offs were not completely over when the season came to an early end in March.

This time around, his side look set to finish in the top six as a minimum although this recent run of form will have seen supporters set their sights on a top two finish and a possible return to the Championship for the first time since they were relegated in the 2013/2014 campaign.

Both meetings between the two sides last year ended in 1-1 draws, with Kieran Sadlier's late header in August handing Donny a point at Spotland before Ollie Rathbone's driving run and finish saw Dale secure a tie at the Keepmoat later in the season, although it's the Yorkshire that have had the better of this match-up in recent years.

Dale have won just one of their last six against Rovers, and indeed of the 115 historical meetings between the two sides, the Lancastrians have come out on top just 38 times compared to Doncaster's 56.

History won't count for too much on Tuesday night though and Dale will be keen to flex their new-found attacking muscles here - the issues are likely to arise at the other end of the field, where a leaky defence will have a job on their hands in keeping out the likes of Fejiri Okenabirhie and Reece James here.

Doncaster Rovers:
Swindon Town (h) - WIN
Burton Albion (a) - WIN
Shrewsbury Town (h) - LOSS
Blackburn Rovers (a) - WIN
Swindon Town (a) - WIN

Rochdale:
Wigan Athletic (h) - DRAW
Charlton Athletic (a) - DRAW
Crewe Alexandra (h) - DRAW
Gillingham (h) - LOSS
Wigan Athletic (a) - WIN

DONCASTER - 56
DRAW - 21
ROCHDALE - 38

06 Jan 2018 - Doncaster Rovers 0-1 Rochdale - FA Cup
13 Oct 2018 - Rochdale 2-3 Doncaster Rovers - League One
01 Jan 2019 - Doncaster Rovers 5-0 Rochdale - League One
10 Aug 2019 - Rochdale 1-1 Doncaster Rovers - League One
08 Feb 2020 - Doncaster Rovers 1-1 Rochdale - League One

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 18, 2021, 09:55:40 pm by drfchound »
Good info there Wiltshire Exile.
I think though that Andy Butler will be delighted to be considered to be no older than 28.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 19, 2021, 06:48:45 am by dickos1 »
6 figure fee for whiteman !!
That would cause this forum to go into meltdown

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 19, 2021, 08:53:56 am by Wiltshire Exile »
6 figure fee for whiteman !!
That would cause this forum to go into meltdown

Missed that dickos1...well spotted!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 19, 2021, 10:33:37 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I've chucked 20 quid on us to win and btts so if someone would like to put some money on 0 0 as that's now nailed on to happen.

You're welcome!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 19, 2021, 10:52:13 am by Filo »
Some fair comments from the Rochdale fans’ forum:

THE OPPOSITION:

Perhaps 'play-off chasing' is an unfair description of Doncaster Rovers right now, as only three points separate them from Hull City in the automatic promotion spots after five victories in their last six matches.

Although Rovers were never considered to be among the frontrunners for promotion this term, they are very much in the hunt at this stage and with two games in hand on the Tigers they'll perhaps be targeting Tuesday night's fixture against relegation-threatened opposition as one in which to really stamp their mark on the chase for a top two spot.

The run of fixtures, it has to be said, has been kind for Donny. In those six matches that have yielded five wins, they've played no team higher than 12th placed Gillingham facing Swindon in second-bottom twice and Burton Albion, who are currently in 24th, once.

However, performances have been very deserving of the points that they have amassed in this run and this is a very youthful, energetic side. The evergreen 40 year old James Coppinger aside, Donny don't have another player over the age of 28 in their rather small, tight-knit squad at the Keepmoat Stadium.

They have, however, just lost the key component to their side in captain Ben Whiteman. The Rochdale-born midfielder had made over 100 appearances in South Yorkshire, but left the club to join Preston North End last week, in an undisclosed deal believed to be worth six figures to the South Yorkshire side.

Although the money hasn't yet been re-invested in the squad, highly-rated coach Darren Moore has moved to bring in two loanees so far in this transfer window, with Ellery Balcombe and Elliot Simeos joining from Championship clubs Brentford and Barnsley respectively.

Moore, whose sacking at West Bromwich Albion was seen as slightly harsh in the 2018/2019 campaign, arrived at the Keepmoat in the following summer and led the club to a 9th placed finish on PPG, although their hopes of gate-crashing the play-offs were not completely over when the season came to an early end in March.

This time around, his side look set to finish in the top six as a minimum although this recent run of form will have seen supporters set their sights on a top two finish and a possible return to the Championship for the first time since they were relegated in the 2013/2014 campaign.

Both meetings between the two sides last year ended in 1-1 draws, with Kieran Sadlier's late header in August handing Donny a point at Spotland before Ollie Rathbone's driving run and finish saw Dale secure a tie at the Keepmoat later in the season, although it's the Yorkshire that have had the better of this match-up in recent years.

Dale have won just one of their last six against Rovers, and indeed of the 115 historical meetings between the two sides, the Lancastrians have come out on top just 38 times compared to Doncaster's 56.

History won't count for too much on Tuesday night though and Dale will be keen to flex their new-found attacking muscles here - the issues are likely to arise at the other end of the field, where a leaky defence will have a job on their hands in keeping out the likes of Fejiri Okenabirhie and Reece James here.

Doncaster Rovers:
Swindon Town (h) - WIN
Burton Albion (a) - WIN
Shrewsbury Town (h) - LOSS
Blackburn Rovers (a) - WIN
Swindon Town (a) - WIN

Rochdale:
Wigan Athletic (h) - DRAW
Charlton Athletic (a) - DRAW
Crewe Alexandra (h) - DRAW
Gillingham (h) - LOSS
Wigan Athletic (a) - WIN

DONCASTER - 56
DRAW - 21
ROCHDALE - 38

06 Jan 2018 - Doncaster Rovers 0-1 Rochdale - FA Cup
13 Oct 2018 - Rochdale 2-3 Doncaster Rovers - League One
01 Jan 2019 - Doncaster Rovers 5-0 Rochdale - League One
10 Aug 2019 - Rochdale 1-1 Doncaster Rovers - League One
08 Feb 2020 - Doncaster Rovers 1-1 Rochdale - League One

“The run of fixtures have been kind to Donny”

No mention of our opening sequence of fixtures where we played all the too sides and got points hung in there so we can make hay against the weaker teams. I wouldn’t say that is a fair reflection on us at all

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 19, 2021, 11:09:02 am by Alan Southstand »
The next 2 months are horrendous!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 19, 2021, 11:11:38 am by NickDRFC »
Filo, they're talking about form - they specifically reference 5 wins in 6 games, and that run of fixtures has been kind to us. Not sure why they should mention our results from months ago.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 19, 2021, 11:44:54 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well the heavy rain hasn't materialised so far so the game should be on. Hopefully a nice slick passing suface.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 19, 2021, 02:09:01 pm by sha66y »
2-1 ,
Fej & Richards
scrappy as f##k
Plenty to moan about ..ie,
depth of squad,
Injuries
Square pegs n holes
Board not backing manager
Lack of ambition

Blah,blah,blah.......oh look...we are upto 3rd blah,blah,blah...

Said in fun

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 19, 2021, 02:16:26 pm by the vicar »
Just been on the Rochdale forum, and one of there fans said he has just seen they are delivering sandbags to parts of Doncaster on the news.
Another came on and said can they put them on there goal like, that made me chuckle

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 19, 2021, 02:16:49 pm by Filo »
Well the heavy rain hasn't materialised so far so the game should be on. Hopefully a nice slick passing suface.

I’ve just come back from Sheffield in the last 10 mins no hint of heavey rain over that way either, and thats the direction the weather is coming from

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 19, 2021, 03:19:25 pm by StocksArmy »
Team tonight could be interesting. The obvious choices would be for Taylor to replace JJ moving Fej into CF and Smith to replace James. But this is DM. I wouldnt be surprised to see Amos and Greaves start.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 19, 2021, 05:08:04 pm by the vicar »
Greaves had a good game when he came on

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 19, 2021, 05:35:56 pm by scawsby steve »
             Balcombe
Halliday Anderson Butler John
         Richards.   Smith
Taylor.        Simoes     Lokilo
             Okenabirhie

Jones Horton Blythe. Amos Greaves Ravenhill Williams     

I know there both left footed but Horton or Amos could play right back and put Halliday in midfield but the defence is working well so why put it at risk.

I don't think anyone could argue against that 11 right now Steve.

However, knowing DM, he might try something else, like Amos in at left back, and John moving forward into left attacking midfield.

You just never know with DM, which makes team selection so fascinating.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 19, 2021, 06:34:53 pm by scawsby steve »
             Balcombe
Halliday Anderson Butler John
         Richards.   Smith
Taylor.        Simoes     Lokilo
             Okenabirhie

Jones Horton Blythe. Amos Greaves Ravenhill Williams     

I know there both left footed but Horton or Amos could play right back and put Halliday in midfield but the defence is working well so why put it at risk.

I don't think anyone could argue against that 11 right now Steve.

However, knowing DM, he might try something else, like Amos in at left back, and John moving forward into left attacking midfield.

You just never know with DM, which makes team selection so fascinating.

Well, we're all wrong again.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 19, 2021, 06:58:43 pm by selby »
  Don't tell me you are surprised Steve, I like the way we are starting to dip youngsters like Lokilo and Greaves toes in and out and are not over exposing them, it was the old way it was done, and gradual improvement was always the way.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 19, 2021, 07:51:59 pm by Campsall rover »
Winning 1-0 but room for improvement 2nd half.

We simply have to get more quality into the box. Rochdale are very shaky at the back and we need to get at them.

Humphries looks a decent player and needs watching.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 19, 2021, 07:56:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
AJ Greaves looks at home here. Very assured.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 19, 2021, 08:59:22 pm by Campsall rover »
Crikey apart from The Plymouth match that has to be the worst performance of the season.

Well they do say it%u2019s a good side that wins when they are below par.

And a clean sheet. 3 points that%u2019s what counts.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 19, 2021, 09:03:30 pm by no eyed deer »

I must be watching a different game?

Played ok for someone who is so young. This is not the time to throw him in.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 19, 2021, 09:05:01 pm by drfchound »
I don’t think it was a bad performance in particular.
We did what we had to do and were in control for most of the game.
Dale showed a few flashes of inspiration but Balcombe didn’t have much to do really.

I also though that AJG did well.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 19, 2021, 09:05:08 pm by Campsall rover »
We just never got out of 2nd gear but did not have to as Rochdale were very poor.

Neither keeper has had a save to make apart from our goal.
Really surprised we did not put our game together tonight against a team that concede goals for fun.

AJ Greaves knows how to tackle. Memories of Alan Little with some of those tonight.  Apart from that stupid one near the end that could have cost us.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:51:35 pm by Campsall rover »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 19, 2021, 09:05:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

I must be watching a different game?

Played ok for someone who is so young. This is not the time to throw him in.

Who should we play instead?? If we can't play him now we might as well pack up the youth team for good

TinyPortal © 2005-2012