Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:56:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Oxford United game  (Read 8220 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Oxford United game
« on January 31, 2021, 02:11:59 pm by selby »
  Nothing get's easier, from playing the top of the division, we now have the top form side to play with a very impressive run of wins behind them coming to the Keepmoat to test our resilience and stop our little run that has got us all excited about just how far we can go in the division this season.
  Eight wins on the trot, including seven in the league by Oxford setting a new club record is certainly impressive after a poor start to the season, and what has propelled them to the fringes of a play off place in the table. Taylor with 11 league goals to his name is an obvious threat and Ruffels goal yesterday ended a run of thirteen games without a win v Fleetwood who up to yesterday must have been one of the best jinx sides of all time never having beaten them before. There away record is won 5 drawn2 lost 5 soring 20 but conceding 20 although obviously most of the losses came earlier in the season with the play off hang over still raw.
  So a hard game in prospect against a Carl Robinson team, a manager who I have always wondered just what is the fascination with him by the media, a miserable interviewee who seems to land clubs with funds and never does a lot, always eventually messing up and seemingly blaming other things and the fourth official ala Fergie.
 We now have a little break both to have a little rest from the heat of battle, and also to assimilate our new acquisitions into our way of doing things, which is not always to hang on for most of the game like yesterday, while Oxford hope to extend their long unbeaten run V AFC Wimbledon in the pizza cup on Tuesday, not an easy game for them, and could end up feisty being fairly local.
  What team will we pick? god knows and Darren only I think, but go ahead and have a go, the odds on getting all eleven correct about the same as six lottery numbers, in fact do both.
  Will our new signings be involved?
  Can we stop the Oxford run of victories?
  Are you now getting nervous about our chances to push on?
  Because of their long victorious run, is this our hardest game to date?
  Have you like me been very impressed with Smith in the last couple of games? some one I think has really stepped up and is real quality.
  If Taylor Richards carries on improving like he is, can the pair of them become the new Stock and Wellens in our hearts? although young players they are rapidly improving and are highly tallented and are starting to effect games with their play on a regular basis.
  Are we likely to do the business a little easier this weekend, and save our hearts from all that fluttering and tension?
  Lots to talk about this game,lots to look forward to, and can we get another win against a side that could enter the party at the top of the division? Please have your say, any Oxford Dons who want to join in please do but please use plain English language us Yorkies will understand easily.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Oxford United game
« Reply #1 on January 31, 2021, 03:24:36 pm by BobG »
Crikey!! The new Stock and Wellens! If that is true then we will be blessed beyond I ever imagined. I never dreamed I would see a midfield duo as good as they were. In my eyes they were so good I would have had their babies... Never imagined i would again see a Rovers midfield as good as theirs.

What a team is being built here. And what leadership we have - right up to the very top. I am stunned tbh.

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 31, 2021, 04:05:10 pm by RobTheRover »
Interesting point made on the EFL on Quest show last night.  Their league run has only been against teams in the bottom half of the league. Still, you have to beat what's in front of you, and they have done that and built a good run. They will be far more tested when we play them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 31, 2021, 04:09:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Interesting point made on the EFL on Quest show last night.  Their league run has only been against teams in the bottom half of the league. Still, you have to beat what's in front of you, and they have done that and built a good run. They will be far more tested when we play them.
I hope so Rob. But they have definitely turned the corner and this is going to be a tough game. Tough for both teams.
I think Oxford were the best team we played last season at the Kassam stadium. Some very good players in their team.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 31, 2021, 04:40:20 pm by deebee »
They are top of the form guide and we are second. I still think we will win this one as our games have been slightly tougher than theirs over the last 10 games even though the number of points has been equal. If you like stats this is a good place to look.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/lincoln-city/form-guide/ten

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 31, 2021, 05:02:25 pm by 1879Rovers »
Oxford fans were baying for his head at the end of November when they conceded twice in the last few minutes against local rivals Swindon to lose.

Since then, they are unbeaten in 12 in all competitions but they have only really played Hull City from the teams in and around the top. Reading local reports, Fleetwood were apparently very unlucky to lose on Saturday despite playing most of the game with ten-men.

We haven't got a great record against Oxford despite winning the last meeting.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 31, 2021, 06:39:28 pm by sha66y »
1-1 draw, toughish game but I never feel optimistic to beat Oxford....

Narrrrrr f##k it , we’ll beat em 1-0

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 31, 2021, 06:54:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
They’ll be feeling very confident after such a run, but how must our lads be feeling?

Tough one to call for sure, as who knows what our team will be? Will Bostock be available, Robertson maybe? Gomes will be available and he’d be in my 11, with Simoes dropping to the bench. It would certainly make the midfield stronger and, as we’ve seen earlier in the season, he brings an additional goal threat. Maybe Bostock could make the bench, at least.

Fingers crossed for Bogle and Sims to make speedy recoveries, as Fej could do with resting.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 31, 2021, 08:21:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I liked the lads comment after seeing those results “It will be the first proper test coming up against a class team like Doncaster"

They will test and stretch us no doubt. We need to be a little better in possession by keeping the ball for longer, as we have given it away a bit cheaply at times. DM has a full week to address that and tweak things.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 31, 2021, 09:31:06 pm by adamtherover »
Richards being subbed early was interesting? Someone suggested that it was maybe due to his lack of passing to team mates..  And DM was making a point.  I think potentially that DM was shielding him from the foul upon foul he seemed to be on the receiving end..  That the ref did bugger all about.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 31, 2021, 09:45:23 pm by drfchound »
DM seems to have a habit of subbing T-R off around the hour mark in recent games.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 31, 2021, 09:47:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Richards being subbed early was interesting? Someone suggested that it was maybe due to his lack of passing to team mates..  And DM was making a point.  I think potentially that DM was shielding him from the foul upon foul he seemed to be on the receiving end..  That the ref did bugger all about.?

He's been subbed at a similar time in the last few games (except, WHU) which I think is just protecting him however now we have more options he may not need to be so protective.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 31, 2021, 10:43:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
We don’t want or need another hamstring injury, so that maybe in the manager’s thoughts. Richards tends to make some lung bursting runs with the ball, probably more than any other midfielder.

I think he’s keeping him available for selection.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 31, 2021, 11:34:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes definitely. He is the main man for opening teams up so we've not been able to afford to lose him.

With Gomes and others to come in then he can let Richards more off the leash and burn himself out for an hour

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 01, 2021, 03:50:24 am by SydneyRover »
selby '' So a hard game in prospect against a Carl Robinson team, a manager who I have always wondered just what is the fascination with him by the media, a miserable interviewee who seems to land clubs with funds and never does a lot, always eventually messing up and seemingly blaming other things and the fourth official ala Fergie''

I think you're being a bit tough on KR selby his record so far is not to be sniffed at.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Robinson

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 01, 2021, 07:42:31 am by Chris Black come back »
Their last six away games have yielded 4 wins and 2 draws but Portsmouth are they only decent team they have come up against and that was way back at the start of that run in late November (1-1). They are no mugs but their run of three away wins on the roll has been against Rochdale, Burton and Plymouth.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 01, 2021, 08:02:58 am by SydneyRover »
and Fleetwoods Mulgrew got a straight red around 10 minutes in, Oxford must have been a bit frustrated they could only score once.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 01, 2021, 08:40:19 am by Campsall rover »
Their last six away games have yielded 4 wins and 2 draws but Portsmouth are they only decent team they have come up against and that was way back at the start of that run in late November (1-1). They are no mugs but their run of three away wins on the roll has been against Rochdale, Burton and Plymouth.
Plymouth are strong at home CBcb so that was a very good result for them.
Always confident of winning and our lads must be buzzing at the moment. We can’t afford to drop our standards though against Oxford. They will be buzzing also.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 01, 2021, 08:52:19 am by the vicar »
it’s ok them on Quest saying they have not played anyone.  they should know as we all do it doesn’t matter who you play and beat, as winning breeds confidence.  So we will have to be full on our metal against all teams especially those clubs near the bottom as this time of the year they become as good as the top clubs with trying to battle away from the danger zone
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:15:05 am by the vicar »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 01, 2021, 09:47:37 am by selby »
  Glyn, he came from Chelsea youth not a surprise there that he was reasonably successful and gained a reputation at that time they were buying every good youngster in Europe. He has since managed MK Dons when they had money thrown at them and used his contacts for loans for such as Bamford, Charlton again in a period when money was being chucked about by the new owners with the benefit of being a London side with the pull on players especially the better loan players from Arsenal Chelsea  Spurs etc. and now Oxford again an easy reach for good loan players and within easy travelling distance from London and again in
 the top spenders in the division.
  Result he has overseen a couple of failed play off positions, managers like Paul Cook, Derek Adams, John Coleman and especially Gareth Ainsworth make him look what he is, a very bang average manager  who has a pitch side manner to match the worst, and a history of bottling the big occasions, who for some reason the media bull up, probably because of his Chelsea connections.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 01, 2021, 12:34:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Karl Robinson has never worked for Chelsea.

He took over at MK Dons aged 29 and did a very good job, his record speaks for itself in my opinion and he consistently manages sides who do pretty well at this level. He got MK into the Championship, hardly a failure.

Derek Adams is one of the most whiny, deluded managers in the EFL so he's a strange comparison as well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 01, 2021, 01:54:33 pm by selby »
RA, my mistake should have put Liverpool youth teams and Blackburn, was thinking of Bamford from Chelsea at the time, drop him into Morecombe the same as Adams and see how he went on, he is a serial bottler when he has had the advantage of being backed at the clubs he has managed.
 Another Fergie, people get fed up of him and his ways and he floats off to the next succor.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 01, 2021, 02:06:30 pm by RoversAlias »
Fair enough Selby, and to be fair I don't find Robinson too pleasant but he has got a good record at this level and has earned promotion before.

Derek Adams though, christ. I'll not forget him claiming Plymouth "would be top of the league if you only counted games played on Saturdays" during the League Two promotion season.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 01, 2021, 02:23:16 pm by wing commander »
  On Richards as much as i'm sure protecting his game time is a major factor, by the time he has come off recently we've been in front and his biggest weakness is his defensive work so i suspect DM likes to shore up those last 25 mins or so.

We don't need to fear anybody in this league and we can beat anybody so they should be more worried about us than we are about them.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 01, 2021, 02:40:17 pm by Metalmicky »
Oxford have just signed Blackburn defender Joe Grayson on loan......... not a regular in the Blackburn squad.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 01, 2021, 06:01:24 pm by selby »
  As RA says, Robinson has a good record as a manager, its just I can't stand the fella, last season he moaned at the fourth official in our game at the KM from the first minute to the last.
  If we put it together we are half decent ourselves as our goal tally and goals against column indicate with strengths at our level through out the team. Our work rate and covering the ground as a team must be up there with most sides in the division with James and Holidays fitness up there with the best of them the ground they cover I would guess.
  If we play well we can match any team in the division as we have seen in the first half of the season,but off the ball we are  the best I have seen in our division this season, disrupting the other sides momentum on a regular basis, keeping our shape and generally working hard for each other, and when the game is coming to an end we have kept our concentration and generally run the games down quite well by dominating possession of the ball.
 Long may it continue, Darren's voice may have something to do with it, he would scare me to death.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 01, 2021, 06:51:29 pm by NickDRFC »
  As RA says, Robinson has a good record as a manager, its just I can't stand the fella, last season he moaned at the fourth official in our game at the KM from the first minute to the last.
  If we put it together we are half decent ourselves as our goal tally and goals against column indicate with strengths at our level through out the team. Our work rate and covering the ground as a team must be up there with most sides in the division with James and Holidays fitness up there with the best of them the ground they cover I would guess.
  If we play well we can match any team in the division as we have seen in the first half of the season,but off the ball we are  the best I have seen in our division this season, disrupting the other sides momentum on a regular basis, keeping our shape and generally working hard for each other, and when the game is coming to an end we have kept our concentration and generally run the games down quite well by dominating possession of the ball.
 Long may it continue, Darren's voice may have something to do with it, he would scare me to death.

So he’s gone from being a “bang average manager” to having “a good record as manager” in less than 12 hours. Hopefully his Oxford side have a similar reversal in fortunes by the weekend.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 01, 2021, 07:20:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

He's been subbed at a similar time in the last few games (except, WHU) which I think is just protecting him however now we have more options he may not need to be so protective.

I said the other day that Richards has not managed 90 mins since the second match of the season. He's got all the talent in the world, but he needs to up his fitness if he's really going to make the most of it.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 01, 2021, 07:50:08 pm by Metalmicky »
Oxford United have made their second signing of the day - and the second son of a former professional footballer.

Elliot Lee, son of Rob, has joined on loan from Luton until the end of the season. He is a 26-year-old forward.

Earlier today they signed Blackburn defender Joe Grayson, Simon's son, also on loan.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 01, 2021, 07:56:56 pm by 1879Rovers »
They are after around four players today. They are also being linked with former Man City kid Brandon Barker who is now at Rangers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012