Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:18:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Charlton Athletic game  (Read 4708 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Charlton Athletic game
« on March 29, 2021, 04:54:22 pm by selby »
  Here we go again, a game  early on TV on Good Friday, exposure all over the country while we are out of form completely, against a side that have been taken over by a new owner who seems at first glance to at least be better than the last few they have had.  A new  experienced manager in Nigel Adkins and showing better form and a long lay off having a rest at the weekend, just the things stacked against us we turn to our advantage I hope.
  There is no denying things have not gone well lately, even Fatty Evans has dreams of playing us on a regular basis.
  The answer is to get back on track, start playing well as a team, the team work not the individual performances disappointing me, earlier in the season when picking up points we had an identity of the style of play we imposed on teams, fast progressive football which has been missing for a couple of months, much of it due to the lack of confidence.
  The players can perform, we have seen it, and I think everyone of us would like to see it again and the sooner the better.
  Down to the team, Quite honestly I wouldn't make many if any changes in the match day squad, Would you? I just think it is time for consistency  and trust the players in the squad to turn it around, although I would be tempted to bring Fey in and alter the line up to four four two which I think would suit our present players more at the moment, do you agree?
  Charlton themselves have been up and down, and have had some good results at the Keepmoat in the past, when we have deserved more from the games, lets hope for a better result this time.
  Lots to discuss about this game, and with lots of moans on the forum about the board, the team and the manager, we are not the most together team of supporters at the moment, and need a performance to weld us back together behind the team, COME ON YOU REDS LET'S DO IT and please have your say.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:33:18 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Lats talk about the Charlton Athletic game
« Reply #1 on March 29, 2021, 05:58:56 pm by the vicar »
Don’t think we would beat the bells at the moment lol
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:41:47 pm by the vicar »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 29, 2021, 07:44:53 pm by sha66y »
A very easy game to throw the towel in early doors, the saga that is the leaky defence will not be allowed to get it right on the night,
Charlton just need to attack our right flank and play for as many free kicks and corners as they can.....close down the tippy tippy straight away and they will be practically be in the driving seat.....

I see a humble 4-0 drubbing with heads down by 15 mins on the clock,
I see Lokilo looking effective but not being effective
I see Halliday linking down the right wing to no avail and being targeted constantly .....
I see a timid midfield performing wannabe creative footballer cameos
I see a lone striker wondering why his support act hasn’t turned up again
I see a team with a lot of worry and no belief

I see a hot tub and a few wetties callingmy name.......

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 29, 2021, 07:46:49 pm by Campsall rover »
Don’t think we would beat the bells at the moment lol
On the other hand we may well beat Charlton on Friday. Why not? 
The game is on Sky & that might just be the extra motivation needed to show we are still very much in the promotion race.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 29, 2021, 08:01:55 pm by Campsall rover »
A very easy game to throw the towel in early doors, the saga that is the leaky defence will not be allowed to get it right on the night,
Charlton just need to attack our right flank and play for as many free kicks and corners as they can.....close down the tippy tippy straight away and they will be practically be in the driving seat.....

I see Halliday linking down the right wing to no avail and being targeted constantly .....

Crikey we may as well not turn up then.   
So we have gone from being automatic promotion contenders to a bunch of no hopers.
That is not the way i see it. We still have the same players.
We have have lost our best midfielder, lost our Manager and had a crippling injury list over the last 10/11 weeks. If that hadn’t affected results it would have been quite remarkable.
Yes results have been even worse than we would have hoped for agreed, but it will just take one good result to reignite the the spark that’s needed to get the team’s confidence levels back to where they were earlier in the season.
It’s very fine lines in football and confidence and self belief is all that is missing.
Ability is permanent not temporary and this team is full of players with loads of ability.

It’s up to Butts now to show his management credentials by reigniting the spark.
Can he do it? Let’s at least give him our 100% support on this forum which he deserves.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 29, 2021, 08:02:20 pm by scawsby steve »
A lot depends on which Matt Smith turns up. If it's the one from the Oxford game, we've no chance. If it's the one from the Gillingham game, we've every chance.

What concerns me the most is Charlton's new manager bounce.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 29, 2021, 08:04:45 pm by drfchound »
Camps, I think we are missing Whiteman and Sims more that you think.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 29, 2021, 08:08:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Camps, I think we are missing Whiteman and Sims more that you think.
Of course we are missing them. They are both quality players at this level. Top quality players.

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Charlton Athletic game
« Reply #8 on March 29, 2021, 08:36:37 pm by selby »
  I am going to put the Kibosh on us and say I fancy us to win this one.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 29, 2021, 08:43:24 pm by Campsall rover »
  I am going to put the Kibosh on us and say I fancy us to win this one.
Brian how dare you. Optimism isn’t allowed. Positivity is totally banned.

Yes i agree we can win. We will turn this bad run round and why not on Friday in front of the Sky cameras.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 29, 2021, 08:48:38 pm by since-1969 »
A painful draw . As we can’t hit a hard door at the moment!!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 29, 2021, 08:54:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
AB has got to get them ready and make sure players are fit. His selection is not hard he’s already decided on Jones in goal. Right back we don’t have competition so it’s Halliday. If Wright and Anderson are fit they will play, he’s left John out in the cold so he will be cover. James should play left back he gives better attacking qualities than in tried Horton and not up to it Amos.
Two in midfield Smith and Bostock should play with Robertson as understudy. Then we come to the three behind the striker on the left Okenabirhie  he should have started on Saturday wrong decision by AB. The other two the best who are left is Copps and Richards. The Bogle up front. He needs to make them all gell and concentrate on us doing our best to win the game.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 29, 2021, 09:16:34 pm by ravenrover »
A painful draw . As we can’t hit a hard door at the moment!!
Should that be barn not hard?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 29, 2021, 09:21:13 pm by selby »
  Come on, he meant a hard wood door.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 29, 2021, 11:38:50 pm by sha66y »

So we have gone from being automatic promotion contenders to a bunch of no hopers.
We have have lost our best midfielder, lost our Manager and had a crippling injury list over the last 10/11 weeks. If that hadn’t affected results it would have been quite remarkable.
Yes results have been even worse than we would have hoped for agreed, but it will just take one good result to reignite the the spark that’s needed to get the team’s confidence levels back to where they were earlier in the season.
It’s very fine lines in football and confidence and self belief is all that is missing.
Ability is permanent not temporary and this team is full of players with loads of ability.

It’s up to Butts now to show his management credentials by reigniting the spark.
Can he do it? Let’s at least give him our 100% support on this forum which he deserves.

I think you are over estimating our earlier form and aspirations, we have not shown ourselves to be a truly dominant force for such a long time,

A neutral watching our last dozen or more performances would be scratching their head as to how we have been in the play offs for all this time....we have been pretty poor against most if not all of the teams below us........and that is NOT how you get out of this division

I see us winning probably 2 of our remaining fixtures, drawing a couple and losing the rest...I don’t want this to happen, but by the same token I don’t want us to get any points unless we’ve earned em........I don’t subscribe to the idea of “ a wins a win” no matter how it’s achieved, if it’s not earned it’s not worth having....this is only my opinion

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 30, 2021, 08:49:47 am by Campsall rover »

I see a lone striker wondering why his support act hasn%u2019t turned up again

We have have lost our best midfielder, lost our Manager and had a crippling injury list over the last 10/11 weeks. If that hadn%u2019t affected results it would have been quite remarkable.
Yes results have been even worse than we would have hoped for agreed, but it will just take one good result to reignite the the spark that%u2019s needed to get the team%u2019s confidence levels back to where they were earlier in the season.
It%u2019s very fine lines in football and confidence and self belief is all that is missing.

It%u2019s up to Butts now to show his management credentials by reigniting the spark.
Can he do it? Let%u2019s at least give him our 100% support on this forum which he deserves.

I think you are over estimating our earlier form and aspirations, we have not shown ourselves to be a truly dominant force for such a long time,

A neutral watching our last dozen or more performances would be scratching their head as to how we have been in the play offs for all this time....we have been pretty poor against most if not all of the teams below us........and that is NOT how you get out of this division

I see us winning probably 2 of our remaining fixtures, drawing a couple and losing the rest...I don%u2019t want this to happen, but by the same token I don%u2019t want us to get any points unless we%u2019ve earned em........I don%u2019t subscribe to the idea of %u201C a wins a win%u201D no matter how it%u2019s achieved, if it%u2019s not earned it%u2019s not worth having....this is only my opinion
Football does not work like that.  A win is a win. Sometimes you outplay the opposition and get beaten. Sometimes you play poorly and win.
That is the way football is sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:04:37 am by Campsall rover »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 30, 2021, 12:31:56 pm by RugbyRover »
AB says that he's going to tweak a few things going forward.
I'd like him to start with a formation change - lets go 4 3 3.

Jones

Wright   Anderson      John       James

Halliday     Bostock     Smith

Bogle       Okenaberihe   Copps

We get a defender paying at RB
We make best use of Halliday's talents by playing him further forward
Bostock gets supported by 2 more mobile midfielders
James overlapping Copps supplies quick cross into box
Bogle is our "out ball" . Quick direct ball up to him and then Halliday overlaps and quick cross into the box
Fey in the Penalty Area - our only natural finisher and boom!

I hope Smith is back from Wales?

Apart from that, and bad spelling, I think its the way forward.........

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 30, 2021, 12:34:54 pm by graingrover »
Matt Smith will galvanise us .

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 30, 2021, 12:39:38 pm by EasyforDennis »

Jones

Bogle is our "out ball" . Quick direct ball up to him and then Halliday overlaps and quick cross into the box

Horton at left back, James in midfield, Halliday firmly on the bench.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 30, 2021, 01:09:52 pm by Campsall rover »

Jones

Think that’s worth a try RR with Bogle down the middle not Fey.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 30, 2021, 01:21:21 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Jones

would like to see halliday in midfield because of his energy and the pressure he would put on the Charlton midfield and he played well there against Blackburn. Could also try Seaman at RB and see what he can do but he might go with Wright with him playing there a few times already this season. If he sticks with halliday in RB then I’d put Robertson in midfield.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 30, 2021, 01:39:16 pm by RugbyRover »

Jones

Think that’s worth a try RR with Bogle down the middle not Fey.

I'm thinking playing Bogle out wide does two things:

- it pulls a centreback out from the middle slightly which gives more room for FO and more chance for Bostock to slide a pass through to him.

- it puts him on the back post, to meet any cross from the left back, nodding it back for FO to slam it home.

If he plays straight down the middle he's wrestling two centrehalfs and keeping FO away from the penalty area..........

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 30, 2021, 02:22:48 pm by adamtherover »

I see us winning probably 2 of our remaining fixtures, drawing a couple and losing the rest...I don’t want this to happen, but by the same token I don’t want us to get any points unless we’ve earned em........I don’t subscribe to the idea of “ a wins a win” no matter how it’s achieved, if it’s not earned it’s not worth having....this is only my opinion

how do you get a win if you havnt put in a shift to deserve it?, be it all out attack or all out defense. The effort is still there?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 30, 2021, 02:45:32 pm by sha66y »

how do you get a win if you havnt put in a shift to deserve it?, be it all out attack or all out defense. The effort is still there?

By being very fortunate I guess...
there are differing types of “ putting in a shift” .....
we are on the end of other teams “ putting in a shift” , we unfortunately can’t match the attackers attacking and their defenders defending.....so we are buzzing around doing not too much....tell a lie, we are giving a lot of set pieces away, passing woefully at times and being over run...
our work rate is tantamount to capitulation at the first threat of “ in ya face football” and because we aren’t attacking fluidly and scoring freely... we are being torn apart and unfortunately,...we are now unable to hide our weaknesses

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 30, 2021, 02:53:25 pm by steve@dcfd »

Jones

would like to see halliday in midfield because of his energy and the pressure he would put on the Charlton midfield and he played well there against Blackburn. Could also try Seaman at RB and see what he can do but he might go with Wright with him playing there a few times already this season. If he sticks with halliday in RB then I’d put Robertson in midfield.
Seaman very rarely played at right back for Maidstone he played a more attacking role. If he is better than what we have? and he’s eligible to play?  then AB could give a chance but maybe not yet.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 30, 2021, 07:08:56 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Jones

Seaman very rarely played at right back for Maidstone he played a more attacking role. If he is better than what we have? and he’s eligible to play?  then AB could give a chance but maybe not yet.
Yh think he played as a winger more for Maidstone but he signed for us as a RB and we do like our full backs to attack.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 30, 2021, 07:33:20 pm by roversdude »
Is it possible we’ll see Seaman on the bench ........anyway moving on
If we turn up we win, if we play a la Oxford or MK Dons we get beaten heavily

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 31, 2021, 08:17:22 am by the vicar »
For me we just seem afraid to attack other teams, playing the ball back to Jones and piling pressure on us to, we need a more positive attitude to it and get behind there defence and a bit of inventiveness up top and get stuck in

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 31, 2021, 08:59:33 am by rich1471 »
Forgot the kick off time had changed to 12.30 on Friday

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 31, 2021, 01:59:48 pm by bedale rover »
How about a 4-3-2-1
Jones
Halliday