Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:29:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game  (Read 6369 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game
« on October 01, 2022, 10:15:24 pm by selby »
  A game we could have done with playing a couple of weeks ago when it was supposed to take place when we would have been up against a team that would not have had the benefit of a of weeks of organisation by their now new manager Keith Curle.
  They are still awaiting their first win in a run now stretching to twenty games without a win, but in Curle's first two games they have shown good improvement and obtained two credible draws against Gillingham and last night coming from two down at Mansfield in the second half to snatch a point in the 87th minute with the second goal scored by substitute Umerah who scored his fifth goal of the season to gain the point.
  So the task of not being the first team to lose to Hartlepool since March this year and 21 games ago in the league looks a lot harder now with Curle at the helm than it did for the original date for the fixture, although four of their six points have come from five home games only loosing once at home.
  They will be up for the fight that is for sure, Curle will at least see to that, they will keep it simple and look to put us under pressure all over the park, and if we do fall behind then they will take some pulling back, it will be a test of our fighting character  from the start, and we will have to match and win our individual battles to come away with anything from the game.
  Olowu could be a miss, but if so Faulkner is the sort of character you need in these games, he will not shirk a battle. Mitchell like at Northampton will want to show an old team they made a mistake letting him go, and Molyneux will be looking to impress at his old club as well.
  So both sides will be looking to do well in the game to carry on their little revival's, and the game looks poised to be a hard fought affair.
   Can we get the win we need?
   Are you going to the game?
   Can we build another unbeaten run  of games?
   Lot's hinging on this game for both teams, how do you see it panning out?
   Lots to look forward to, lots to discuss Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Panda

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game
« Reply #1 on October 01, 2022, 10:31:19 pm by Panda »
My advice would be to find the space bar on your PC.  :)

I'd be happy with a draw here tbh. Can see this being a toughie.

According to the met office - 16 degrees at 7pm in Hartlepool on Tuesday!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 01, 2022, 10:32:15 pm by Alan Southstand »
A hard game in prospect, no doubt. 2-2 at Mansfield is no mean feat (I wish we could have got that in our home game). We have to start and impose ourselves a bit more and, if Molyneux does impress, it will be the first time this season, so fingers crossed on that front.

Hoping for 3 points, rather than expecting!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 01, 2022, 10:57:16 pm by Colin C No.3 »

You’d be happy with a draw, why?

You also said before todays game you would settle for 1-1.

We got 2 points more today than ‘you’ would have settled for.

If we had have done & then went on to get your ‘happy draw’ come Tuesday, that would give/ have given us 5 points from the last 3 games against teams in the bottom four of this division. Would you have been ‘happy’ with that?

‘Happy’ perhaps in as much as you could have then come on the forum to slate GM, as is your want.

Jeez.

We’ll win on Tuesday & be in the top six in the table.

We’ll then go on to beat Orient at home.

That’s what I’ll be ‘happy’ at.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 01, 2022, 11:02:30 pm by Colin C No.3 »
And your comment about selby needing to find his space bar on his computer was crass.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 01, 2022, 11:04:08 pm by Panda »

If we had have done & then went on to get your ‘happy draw’ come Tuesday, that would give/ have given us 5 points from the last 3 games against teams in the bottom four of this division. Would you have been ‘happy’ with that?

‘Happy’ perhaps in as much as you could have then come on the forum to slate GM, as is your want.

Jeez.

You clearly can't read and struggle to interpret basic information.

Today i predicted the score would be 1-1. Not that i would be happy with a 1-1. There is a clear distinction and therefore i ask you to find the quote where i said i'd be happy with a 1-1 today. Rochdale are shit and are probably going down. Hartlepool are a different proposition and i'd be happy with a draw there all things considered.

Happy now?

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 01, 2022, 11:04:51 pm by Panda »
And your comment about selby needing to find his space bar on his computer was crass.

Crass but pertinent.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 02, 2022, 09:27:58 am by Chris Black come back »
Another absolutely terrible side. They haven’t won at home in the league since 15 February 2022 and last won a league game of any kind on 18 March 2022. They have managed 2 league goals at home all season and 1 of those was a penalty. They are the only side in the Football League without a league win this season. They are arguably more hopeless than Rochdale. A truly terrible side.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 02, 2022, 10:11:23 am by Campsall rover »
Another absolutely terrible side. They haven’t won at home in the league since 15 February 2022 and last won a league game of any kind on 18 March 2022. They have managed 2 league goals at home all season and 1 of those was a penalty. They are the only side in the Football League without a league win this season. They are arguably more hopeless than Rochdale. A truly terrible side.
So terrible that they managed a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down at Mansfield on Friday night.  ;)

They have a new manager in Keith Curle and they will be up for it on Tuesday I promise you.
This will be a tough game. There won’t be many easy ones I promise you that also.
Yes 2/3 games may turn out to be easy as the season progresses. I am not expecting this one to be though.

Having said that if we impose ourselves on them and play with a positive mindset from the off I expect us to grind out another 3 points.  :)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 02, 2022, 12:23:39 pm by Chris Black come back »
They are a terrible side. Whether people think we win win, lose or draw against them is a different matter. Objectively, they are bad. Really bad.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 02, 2022, 01:31:53 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Mansfield, played with one up front, missed a boat load of chances, switched off when they went 2 up, then 2 individual errors led to Hartlepool scoring the only chances they had. All according to the Mansfield and Hartlepool fans who watched the game. It appears as though Hartlepool have got a bit more organised under Curle but are still vulnerable.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 02, 2022, 01:32:31 pm by Alan Southstand »
Then explain how they got a 2-2 at Mansfield.

They can’t possibly have been really bad. We only scored once v Mansfield - what does that make us?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 02, 2022, 01:35:07 pm by DearneValleyRover »

They can’t possibly have been really bad. We only scored once v Mansfield - what does that make us?

They scored because as stated if you had cared to read properly, 2 individual errors by a Mansfield defender, as a team they thought they had won at 2-0 so switched off.

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 02, 2022, 02:16:57 pm by Panda »
The only side not to have won yet in L2 this season are Hartlepool.  :(

They have drawn 6 though but only scored 8 and conceded 19.

In theory this should (on paper) be easier than Rochdale but Hartlepool is a tight little ground, they've got Keith Curle now and so i think it will be tough. I'd take a point so long as we got at least a draw  against Orient.

5 Points from Rochdale, Hartlepool and Orient would be a not bad return.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 02, 2022, 02:32:44 pm by Campsall rover »
The only side not to have won yet in L2 this season are Hartlepool.  :(

They have drawn 6 though but only scored 8 and conceded 19.

In theory this should (on paper) be easier than Rochdale but Hartlepool is a tight little ground, they've got Keith Curle now and so i think it will be tough. I'd take a point so long as we got at least a draw  against Orient.

5 Points from Rochdale, Hartlepool and Orient would be a not bad return.
They have drawn 4 home games lost 1
Only conceded 4 goals at home. Only scored 2 though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:34:55 pm by Campsall rover »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 02, 2022, 05:04:25 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Not an easy game. They obviously stay in games due to how many draws they’ve had. We have to make sure we aren’t their first victims. I would take another narrow win now.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 02, 2022, 06:23:07 pm by NickDRFC »

Hate to tell you Alan but football doesn’t exactly work like that. Aston Villa drew with Man City last month, but they’re sure as hell nowhere near as good as them.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 02, 2022, 07:18:59 pm by scawsby steve »
A hammers B 6-0; B hammers C 6-0. When A plays C, it should be a walk in the park for A, but it isn't, and C somehow manages a win.

That's football.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 02, 2022, 09:38:09 pm by roversdude »
I really hope they are as bad as posters think, personally I think Curle will have tightened things up, granted he can only work with the squad he has inherited.
I sense a much tougher game than people anticipate.
How many are we expecting to have after selling out for the original game ?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 02, 2022, 10:10:41 pm by adamtherover »

Crass but pertinent.
there's me thinking the comma key would have been more apt?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 02, 2022, 10:27:01 pm by EasyforDennis »
I hope we perform better than the last time we played them. We thought we only had to turn up to win the game and the league title. We all know how that turned out. We lost and came third in a one horse race for the title.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 03, 2022, 04:25:21 am by Alan Southstand »
They scored because as stated if you had cared to read properly, 2 individual errors by a Mansfield defender, as a team they thought they had won at 2-0 so switched off.

Sorry, DVR, but I was replying to cbcb (I hadn’t realised you’d sneaked one in between)!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 03, 2022, 04:29:46 am by Alan Southstand »
Hate to tell you Alan but football doesn’t exactly work like that. Aston Villa drew with Man City last month, but they’re sure as hell nowhere near as good as them.

I fully appreciate all that, but in the context of the thread above, what I’m saying is Hartlepool can’t possibly be this ‘really terrible’ side, currently. Similarly, AV aren’t a really terrible side either.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 03, 2022, 08:38:59 am by DearneValleyRover »

Sorry, DVR, but I was replying to cbcb (I hadn’t realised you’d sneaked one in between)!

Fair enough Alan

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 03, 2022, 09:27:40 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Frankly if we want promotion we need to win games such as this, no questions asked, I can't see how that's up for debate.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 03, 2022, 12:41:42 pm by ncRover »
Any news on Rowe? I think Clayton could be at risk of getting leggy.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 03, 2022, 12:59:47 pm by Upton Rover »
We should be beating a team like this, it will be another little setback if we don’t come away with all 3 point’s, No if’s or but’s

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 03, 2022, 02:25:49 pm by Prez »
Andy Haines is the ref.

Hes awful.

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 03, 2022, 02:36:32 pm by South East Rover »

Jeez.

You clearly can't read and struggle to interpret basic information.

Today i predicted the score would be 1-1. Not that i would be happy with a 1-1. There is a clear distinction and therefore i ask you to find the quote where i said i'd be happy with a 1-1 today. Rochdale are shit and are probably going down. Hartlepool are a different proposition and i'd be happy with a draw there all things considered.

Happy now?

If we play shit then 6 points is a must and nothing else. If we show the opposition what we are made of and create lots of chances then i'd be happy with 3 points, maybe even 1.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 03, 2022, 03:17:55 pm by Barmby Rover »
We should be beating a team like this, it will be another little setback if we don’t come away with all 3 point’s, No if’s or but’s

Careful UR, that was very close to "we should be beating the likes of..." that we used to object to! Rovers are capable of beating Hartlepool, and I suspect they will, but we don't have the right to a win.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012