Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:54:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game  (Read 6130 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game
« on January 29, 2023, 01:11:46 pm by selby »
  Again a very important game against a side we for the second time this season we can get back on track to winning ways, which seems to be our only success this season getting other teams out of a rut.
  What team we will field is anyones guess, whether we have signed better players than we already have here after yesterdays game seems to be up for debate,

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game
« Reply #1 on January 29, 2023, 02:01:28 pm by roversdude »
If we have no more incomings, for me the team that started the second half (assuming Close recovers) with Olowu in for Nelson.
By the way we are at the end of January and no sign of Rowe being back, is his injury worse than was reported

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 29, 2023, 05:15:23 pm by Campsall rover »
If we have no more incomings, for me the team that started the second half (assuming Close recovers) with Olowu in for Nelson.
By the way we are at the end of January and no sign of Rowe being back, is his injury worse than was reported
Back in training was reported over a week ago. May be available for Hartlepool game was my understanding.

If he is who does he replace assuming Close is fit.  Or does he sit on the bench. It is a bit of a tough one.
Think with his first game he would likely be a sub.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 29, 2023, 05:56:02 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I’d personally go for a 433 but don’t think DS will change. Assuming no change in back 3 I’d go

Mitchell
    Olowu Anderson Nelson
Brown Close Biggins Maxwell
              Hurst
          Lavery Miller

Anderson stay’s because we know he can be better. Don’t think Williams can other than the odd game. Molyneux could do with a spell coming off the bench against tired legs to build his confidence up.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 29, 2023, 06:17:28 pm by Campsall rover »
If Olowu is back ( he was on bench yesterday ) then toss up between Nelson or Williams who makes way i suspect.
Don’t see Anderson getting left out with him being captain.
Wasn’t great Saturday but neither were the other 2
Williams was possibly the best of the 3

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 29, 2023, 06:21:22 pm by normal rules »
I so hope there are not any protests this sat.
It’s possibly the last thing the club, the manager, the players and other fans need at this time.
A positive performance and three points should keep the boo boys quiet.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 29, 2023, 06:23:43 pm by roversdude »
Williams has been the most consistent centre back this season so for me he starts

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 29, 2023, 06:25:55 pm by roversdude »
I so hope there are not any protests this sat.
It’s possibly the last thing the club, the manager, the players and other fans need at this time.
A positive performance and three points should keep the boo boys quiet.
Agree NR - still don’t get how they even think the board can be sacked

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 29, 2023, 06:55:53 pm by scawsby steve »
  Again a very important game against a side we for the second time this season we can get back on track to winning ways, which seems to be our only success this season getting other teams out of a rut.
  What team we will field is anyones guess, whether we have signed better players than we already have here after yesterdays game seems to be up for debate,

By God, Brian, that's a short OP for you to start one of these threads off. Are you getting as disillusioned as the rest of us?

Regarding the team line-up, if DS can't see the difference between the team he sent out for the first half, and the team he sent out for the second half, in terms of performance, then I doubt he's the man to take us forward.

Brown is better than Seaman for me, and Lavery's better than either Agard or Griffiths, and we need 2 up top right from the off.

I'd bring Olowu in for any one of the current back 3. We might also have to bring TR in, if Close is still injured. Other than that, the same team as started the second half on Saturday for me.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 29, 2023, 07:45:39 pm by Chris Black come back »
They’ve got horrendous away form. Lost 10 of their 14 away league games, and drawn 2. Their only 2 wins have been at truly awful sides in Rochdale and Crawley. This is a side that has horrific form on the road.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 29, 2023, 07:46:28 pm by Thorney »
I'm optimistic about this game. 4-0 win. Goals from Hurst, lavery x2 and a late tommy Rowe goal after coming off the bench.

Come to think of it. I better make this can my last

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 29, 2023, 08:08:29 pm by Lesonthewest »

By God, Brian, that's a short OP for you to start one of these threads off. Are you getting as disillusioned as the rest of us?

Regarding the team line-up, if DS can't see the difference between the team he sent out for the first half, and the team he sent out for the second half, in terms of performance, then I doubt he's the man to take us forward.

Brown is better than Seaman for me, and Lavery's better than either Agard or Griffiths, and we need 2 up top right from the off.

I'd bring Olowu in for any one of the current back 3. We might also have to bring TR in, if Close is still injured. Other than that, the same team as started the second half on Saturday for me.

Your second paragraph says it all for me Scawsby. I really want DS to do well, but if he goes back to Miller up there on his own on Saturday I fear for us & him. He now has the personell for us to start on the front foot & go at teams, instead of knocking balls up to Miller & waiting for the inevitable mistake or the opposition to take advantage.

With respect, Hartlepool is the perfect game. Ben Close is getting better every game, & if fit he would provide the ammunition for a front two, 2 years now of mainly boring, rubbish football we have had to endure, about time it changed.

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game
« Reply #12 on January 29, 2023, 09:02:23 pm by selby »
  Again a very important game against a side we for the second time this season we can get back on track to winning ways, which seems to be our only success this season getting other teams out of a rut, and by the same token slowly digging our own rut.
  What team we will field is anyone's guess, whether we have signed better players than we already have here after yesterdays game seems to be up for debate, and the manager position is already attracting debate as to just how long the present tenancy will last, and dragging in the position Director of Football and need for paying out good money that could be used for the playing side for someone in that position in the debate with some at our level.
  Basically the club is in turmoil and mostly self inflicted, the club and board crumbling to criticism on social media against some good men as managers who were never really given a chance or time, and the same scenario is raising its ugly head once again, with some on social media not happy with the situation they have by their past lack of patience been in some way responsible for, by putting pressure on the club to sack those managers.
   And so we start the joining the circle again.
   Back to this game, at Hartlepool we were basically bullied out of the game, out fought in midfield and Josh Umerah scoring and giving us a hard time all night, and it has set a president that other teams have followed with success ever since as we are an easy touch.
    The two players over the last two seasons I have seen able to combat this are now, or should be available, and if I was Mr Schofield looking to have a career in management in league football, or the owner of this club wanting to upgrade the value of the club on the transfer market Olowu and Faulkner would start in my back line this weekend coming, giving us a physical presence and pace to recover, and potentially two players who could bring much needed transfer money into the club, Hurst of all the rest being the only other one we would get a return on, and possibly Maxwell if he keeps improving as he seems to be doing.
  And there is the secret staring people in the face in Maxwell and Hurst, two young players who have had a run in the team, not shoved to one side if they have had, and they have had the odd dicky game, but have learnt from mistakes and look to be shoving on now to be better players.  Repeat please with others.
  I would go as far as saying  a good result in this game is much more important than a performance, and a defence that repeatedly lets the side down needs surgery.
  So what would you do?  can we get a win? would you make changes? this and plenty
 of other questions to make about this game please have your say.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 29, 2023, 10:05:32 pm by Silkscarf »
This must surely be the game where it all clicks for Molly. We know he's got talent but the grumbles are getting louder because we've rarely seen it so far. I predict he will be subbed on after 60-odd minutes (at 0-0), he cuts inside and pings a 25-yarder into the South Stand net.

Almost as good as this we will keep a clean sheet to the end. FT 1-0 to the Rovers. Not a fantastic display but green shoots visible.

This is a prediction based entirely on groundless optimism. We have to visualise something good happening or there's no point bothering. That's generally been my approach as a Rovers fan all these years. I could have supported someone else but I'm stuck with these buggers now.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 29, 2023, 10:33:01 pm by selby »
  Co.uld the moderators please  place this post as my opening post on the original thread I have obviously had big fingers unknowingly. Thanks in advance

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 29, 2023, 10:36:19 pm by selby »
  Excuse my big fingers Steve not that good myself at the moment and unwittingly have posted twice hopefully the moderators can sort it out with a bit of luck.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 30, 2023, 04:11:12 pm by donnievic »
If Olowu is back ( he was on bench yesterday ) then toss up between Nelson or Williams who makes way i suspect.
Don’t see Anderson getting left out with him being captain.
Wasn’t great Saturday but neither were the other 2
Williams was possibly the best of the 3
agree about Anderson and everyone has a bad game,Nelson I don’t think did anything really wrong and looked ok but not great playing him on the left of a three when he is right footed,lavery has to start for me also as he looked lively

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 30, 2023, 04:20:04 pm by BiargeBob »
Got to start Molyneux, the only decent game he had was Hartlepool away  :woohoo:

Just noticed on website that he is on there twice, is one of them because he is a shadow of his former self   :woohoo:

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 04:31:31 pm by BiargeBob »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 30, 2023, 04:29:07 pm by roversdude »
I honestly think things might click into place and Hartlepool will get a drubbing

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 30, 2023, 04:31:43 pm by Scooter »
This must surely be the game where it all clicks for Molly. We know he's got talent but the grumbles are getting louder because we've rarely seen it so far. I predict he will be subbed on after 60-odd minutes (at 0-0), he cuts inside and pings a 25-yarder into the South Stand net.

Almost as good as this we will keep a clean sheet to the end. FT 1-0 to the Rovers. Not a fantastic display but green shoots visible.

This is a prediction based entirely on groundless optimism. We have to visualise something good happening or there's no point bothering. That's generally been my approach as a Rovers fan all these years. I could have supported someone else but I'm stuck with these buggers now.

I love a bit of groundless optimism. I’ve bought tickets to Crawley away and taking my boys. New ground for me. It might be a waste of money and a load of rubbish. However my optimistic side tells me it will be worth it

Leedsrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 31, 2023, 11:20:04 pm by Leedsrover »
22:45 Oliver Finney [Crewe - Hartlepool] Free
22:30 Connor Jennings [Stockport - Hartlepool] Free
22:15 Brendan Kiernan [Walsall - Hartlepool] Free
22:00 Taylor Foran [Arsenal - Hartlepool] Loan
16:30 Dan Kemp [MK Dons - Hartlepool] Loan

A little bit of activity on deadline day by our opponents on Saturday!!!!

Wonder if they will all play?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 01, 2023, 03:20:40 pm by steve@dcfd »
We’ve had a behind closed door game for fringe and recovering players. Tommy is ready for Saturday DS said he will choose if he will be involved.
Faulkner and Olowu both played 90 and 45 minutes respectively.
Younger as had a setback from his injury they waiting to see the extent of it.
Long as a hamstring injury
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-defender-ollie-younger-suffers-setback-in-his-return-from-injury-4010092

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 01, 2023, 04:13:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very straightforward questions from the interviewer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f09mrq

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 01, 2023, 04:38:48 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes the young lady interviewer appeared to have her questions ready and asked them even when DS had given his answer on the previous question.
He appears to be happy with the signings we have made. He’s says he identified he problems defensively and they appear to be cropping up in various games. So we will see on Saturday if we have learnt and then can put into practice against a side who’s made 11 signings this window.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 01, 2023, 04:48:42 pm by Filo »
One thing we do know is that someone at the club monitors this forum, it’s clear there is growing discontent among the fans, some long standing and loyal fans as well, the silence is not doing any favours, we are probably weeks away from season ticket time, and there just seems so much apathy around the club

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 01, 2023, 05:55:30 pm by scawsby steve »
One thing we do know is that someone at the club monitors this forum, it’s clear there is growing discontent among the fans, some long standing and loyal fans as well, the silence is not doing any favours, we are probably weeks away from season ticket time, and there just seems so much apathy around the club

Hit the nail on the head there. This is no longer about the Netto brigade, it's about decent, loyal fans who've just had enough of all the bullsh*t.

Nothing less than 6 points against Hartlepool and Tranmere will be acceptable in the next week, or people really will start voting with their feet.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 01, 2023, 06:30:33 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Yes it’s hard to argue that the club looks to be in a managed decline on the field. I don’t believe that’s on purpose but it’s what’s happened. Apathy is the word.

Next season is huge. The club need to provide the finance (even if it means TB stumping up) to get top 3. Stay around here for too long and we’ll never have the funds to have a promotion push while been sustainable. The crowd will slowly dwindle and the playing budget will reduce with it in a vicious cycle.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 01, 2023, 06:44:34 pm by Arsenal Of The North »

Breathe of fresh air from the interviewer. Finally someone asking the straight shooting questions a lot of us want the answers too.

DS sounded like he was uncomfortable at times. No disrespect to Robbie who does the interviews within the club but he bloody spoon feeds the response by the way he asks his questions.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 01, 2023, 06:52:27 pm by andy didcott »
Rovers 3-0.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 01, 2023, 06:58:17 pm by RugbyRover »

Breathe of fresh air from the interviewer. Finally someone asking the straight shooting questions a lot of us want the answers too.

DS sounded like he was uncomfortable at times. No disrespect to Robbie who does the interviews within the club but he bloody spoon feeds the response by the way he asks his questions.

I thought it was a poor interview. Just reading from a list of questions and not responding to any of the answers. In fact, asking questions that had just been answered.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012