Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:17:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game  (Read 6133 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Hartlepool United game
« Reply #30 on February 01, 2023, 07:24:04 pm by Upton Rover »
Hope it’s a win
If we lose big big serious questions will be asked

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 01, 2023, 07:30:29 pm by roversdude »
I almost thought the questions had been edited into an interview

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 01, 2023, 09:18:39 pm by Thorney »
Very straightforward questions from the interviewer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f09mrq

Breathe of fresh air from the interviewer. Finally someone asking the straight shooting questions a lot of us want the answers too.

DS sounded like he was uncomfortable at times. No disrespect to Robbie who does the interviews within the club but he bloody spoon feeds the response by the way he asks his questions.

I thought it was a poor interview. Just reading from a list of questions and not responding to any of the answers. In fact, asking questions that had just been answered.

Best one for me was the one where she asked if it was important to finish the next run of 5 games in a higher league position than now.
Shouldn't of even given a response to that. Be worried if he come out with "nah not really"

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 02, 2023, 10:51:10 am by ForsolongaRover »
I think the Football Heaven interview was replicated on iFollow and I listened to that and gained no knowledge at all from Schofield’s  answers.

His replies are generalisations. He could be taking about any team or even any sport. The best interpretation you could put on his reticence is that he does not want to commit himself in any way. More critically you might deduce that he is afraid to promise anything and his fear of that seems to show by his nervous and uncomfortable manner.

I lost patience when the second questioner asked him about where he would play Tommy Rowe and he said in a roundabout way that he could play anywhere, not wanting to commit himself.

Danny is clearly a worried man. He may well have the knowledge and posses good coaching skills, but his coaching theory is all he seems to have to cling to.

He is badly in need of advice. Copps and Baldwin can surely help him there.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 02, 2023, 10:55:42 am by Filo »
I haven’t listened to DS interview, if it was the same interviewer that did the James Brown interview I don’t want to either, it was like a bot asking questions

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 02, 2023, 11:01:14 am by ForsolongaRover »
I should have said “talking” about any sport.

We also have a Media Manager of course in the shape of Liam Hoden and how Schofield comes across in interviews is presumably within his wider remit.

Good interviews with managers can surely reassure restless fans rather than the opposite.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 02, 2023, 11:23:46 am by Thorney »
I haven’t listened to DS interview, if it was the same interviewer that did the James Brown interview I don’t want to either, it was like a bot asking questions

That's basically all it was. Questions written on a piece of paper and just read out. The interviewer didn't engage in discussions based on previous answers

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 02, 2023, 11:43:15 am by Filo »

That's basically all it was. Questions written on a piece of paper and just read out. The interviewer didn't engage in discussions based on previous answers

I won’t be listening then, it was awful to listen to

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 02, 2023, 01:30:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It was weird. Maybe the interviewer is new and a bit nervous or they just don’t want to do the job.

Might as well have had Alexa read out the questions from a text

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 02, 2023, 02:17:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sack the interviewer!

Crikey. Yes, probably very nervous. We all had to start somewhere!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 02, 2023, 03:34:58 pm by pib »
New journalist-in-training at BBC Radio Sheff I think. Probably best to cut young people like that some slack, and hopefully she'll hone the craft.

The frustration, I suppose, is that when you drop into the lower echelons of the teams in the BBC Radio Sheffield patch, you get seemingly less time and resources dedicated to coverage of the club, perhaps understandably. Us and Chezzy get the least airtime at the moment. Tom B aside (who I think is a very good commentator and reporter) the big hitters tend to focus most of their efforts on the Blades, Owls, Rotherham and Barnsley.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 02, 2023, 04:46:28 pm by ForsolongaRover »

...with the person answering them like an automaton, programmed with coaching jargon - but no actual data that was Rovers-specific - answering them! Even Paxman would have problems getting information out of Schofield. Perhaps we should pay Clarkson, who, rather dubiously, has been named as a Rovers fan in the past, to have a go!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 02, 2023, 06:05:38 pm by The Beast »
I’d personally go for a 433 but don’t think DS will change. Assuming no change in back 3 I’d go

Mitchell
    Olowu Anderson Nelson
Brown Close Biggins Maxwell
              Hurst
          Lavery Miller

Anderson stay’s because we know he can be better. Don’t think Williams can other than the odd game. Molyneux could do with a spell coming off the bench against tired legs to build his confidence up.

Good side but not sure if I'd give Molyneux one of his last chances against Hartlepool, see if he can prove himself against his old club. If he's got owt about him he must know his place is in jeopardy and be desperate to play.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 06:54:11 pm by The Beast »

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 02, 2023, 06:48:58 pm by jmt23 »
We’ve not seen the best of him because he has constantly been injured , then he comes back starts to show the odd flash and gets injured again. He has quality, probably the most in the squad - he just needs a break to gain fitness and a goal for confidence.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 02, 2023, 08:05:07 pm by ncRover »
I’d personally go for a 433 but don’t think DS will change. Assuming no change in back 3 I’d go

Mitchell
    Olowu Anderson Nelson
Brown Close Biggins Maxwell
              Hurst
          Lavery Miller

Anderson stay’s because we know he can be better. Don’t think Williams can other than the odd game. Molyneux could do with a spell coming off the bench against tired legs to build his confidence up.

I’ve been critical about Anderson after the last game but Umerah seems the physical type, if I’m correct. Williams isn’t good at dealing with that. So this is about right.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 02, 2023, 09:59:27 pm by since-1969 »
Hope it’s a win
If we lose big big serious questions will be asked
The pressure must on all the players after last week! New players don’t alway gel in the combination you think . L2 next season is all it’s about now and beating Hartlepool has to be the start !

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 03, 2023, 05:45:09 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Mitchell

Williams.     Olowu

Brown.                      Maxwell

Close.       Lakin

Hurst.                        Molyneux

Lavery.      Miller

Subs Goodman, Todd Miller, Biggins, Seaman, Anderson, Nelson, Jones

I would retain Mitchell, he is the best keeper we have. Go for a centre back partnership of Williams/Olowu. Put Lakin in for Biggins and go two up front giving Lavery a chance to form a partnership with Miller.
On the bench I would give Goodman a chance from the youth side. Ease Todd Miller in from the bench. Seaman for his ability to play a few positions. Anderson for me hasn’t reached the standards he used to have. Nelson again ease him into the side from the bench.

We need a good start. Don’t allow Hartlepool to gain confidence. Let’s try and get some shots on target early on. Crosses into the box. Save the fancy stuff for when the confidence is high.
Try and control the game but move the ball quicker. The main objective is feeding the strikers with quality ball and situations.
Both are capable of scoring goals for us. George has proven that before.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 03, 2023, 07:10:46 am by roversdude »
Sammy that would be my choice however I don’t think Anderson will get dropped and Tommy supposedly fit so would have him on the bench

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 03, 2023, 07:42:23 am by Chris Black come back »
Hartlepool had as many shots on target in their last league game, as we have in our last three league games.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 03, 2023, 08:38:20 am by Thorney »
Hartlepool had as many shots on target in their last league game, as we have in our last three league games.

Bit of a pointless stat though.

What was the quality of those shots like. Didn't help them win. A 30yrd hit and hope that ends up dribbling straight to the keepers feet is no better that a shot from 18 yards that whistles just past or connects with the post or is blocked off the line.

On that note if you hit the post does that go down as a shot on target or off target? I'm assuming off

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 03, 2023, 08:58:22 am by roversdude »
Off

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 03, 2023, 09:03:11 am by drfchound »

What was the quality of those shots like. Didn't help them win. A 30yrd hit and hope that ends up dribbling straight to the keepers feet is no better that a shot from 18 yards that whistles just past or connects with the post or is blocked off the line.

On that note if you hit the post does that go down as a shot on target or off target? I'm assuming off

Hitting the post or bar is classed as off target.
Ridiculously, shots blocked by defenders are also not counted as being shots on target, even if they are blocked on the goal line.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 03, 2023, 09:15:30 am by Thorney »

Hitting the post or bar is classed as off target.
Ridiculously, shots blocked by defenders are also not counted as being shots on target, even if they are blocked on the goal line.

So  basically shots on goal stat can be a false one.
You could hit the bar 10 times in 1 match and have 3 shots cleared of the line, but the opposing team have 2 wild punts from the halfway line straight to the goalie and it will make it look  like they were the most dangerous team.

Has I said pointless stats unless you know the quality of the shots on goal

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 03, 2023, 09:17:14 am by ncRover »

Mitchell

Williams.     Olowu

Close.       Lakin

Lavery.      Miller

I would retain Mitchell, he is the best keeper we have. Go for a centre back partnership of Williams/Olowu. Put Lakin in for Biggins and go two up front giving Lavery a chance to form a partnership with Miller.
On the bench I would give Goodman a chance from the youth side. Ease Todd Miller in from the bench. Seaman for his ability to play a few positions. Anderson for me hasn’t reached the standards he used to have. Nelson again ease him into the side from the bench.

We need a good start. Don’t allow Hartlepool to gain confidence. Let’s try and get some shots on target early on. Crosses into the box. Save the fancy stuff for when the confidence is high.
Try and control the game but move the ball quicker. The main objective is feeding the strikers with quality ball and situations.

This team would concede a lot of goals

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 03, 2023, 09:33:31 am by vaya »
Looking forward to this game. Seems ages since we played at home, let alone on a Saturday.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 03, 2023, 09:53:00 am by ravenrover »
Wonder if he might go 4 3 1 2 with  Miller and Lavery with Hurst playing that floating role he did in  2nd half on Saturday. Maybe a 3 midfield of Close Biggins Lakin or Rowe if fit
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:05:09 pm by ravenrover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 03, 2023, 09:54:08 am by Chris Black come back »

Mitchell

Williams.     Olowu

Close.       Lakin

Lavery.      Miller

This team would concede a lot of goals

Agree with this.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 03, 2023, 10:33:13 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Need a response after last Saturday, gonna be one of them games where the first goal is massive, if we get an early goal I can see a 3/4-0 game, if they go ahead the netto brigade will be there and the atmosphere will be toxic.

I’d go with the same team we started in the 2nd half against with Mansfield, apart from Olowu coming in for Anderson (i don’t think Tom will be dropped but one way to keep standards high is to show that no one is guaranteed a place, not even the captain). Rowe will probs be back on the bench and maybe also Reo if we are gonna start with 2 up top id expect to see another striker on the bench.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 03, 2023, 11:12:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Pretty sure he will keep Anderson in. He's a good enough character to know he defended poorly last match and is likely to react in the right way. That's one of the the reasons he's been reinstated as team captain.

I expect Brown to start and possibly Lakin. Depends on the formation of course but he might go 4 3 3 just to make us more solid at the back. Get a foothold in the game and get alternate full backs and Biggins pushing on to support Miller and Lavery with Hurst given licence to come inside.

Mitchell

Brown
Williams
Anderson
Maxwell

Close
Biggins
Lakin

Hurst
Miller
Lavery.

ravenrover