Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:56:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Salford City game  (Read 8205 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Salford City game
« Reply #60 on March 18, 2023, 06:01:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think it's clear that Schofield has a system and he's not going to shift from this. The question is whether he can get better players to make that system work better or indeed work at all. I don't think we are going to get exciting and flowing football from him, but with better players it might be enough to get us out of here next season. We can hope at least.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on March 18, 2023, 06:05:14 pm by bpoolrover »
I think it's clear that Schofield has a system and he's not going to shift from this. The question is whether he can get better players to make that system work better or indeed work at all. I don't think we are going to get exciting and flowing football from him, but with better players it might be enough to get us out of here next season. We can hope at least.
we have no money to get better players thou

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on March 18, 2023, 06:06:00 pm by Lesonthewest »
Utter embarrassment 2nd half, any player, or manager worth their salt (knowing in effect it's the last chance to pressure the play offs), would have come out 2nd half & showed at least a bit of motivation or urgency for the fans that they didn't deserve today, & have a go. We showed absolutely nothing, players ambling about like it's a friendly, & an utterly clueless manager, who has no idea how to set a side up for this league.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on March 18, 2023, 06:11:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
Schofield has been in charge for 22 league games and has now managed to lose more (10) than he has won (9), in addition to the historically bad result in the FA Cup which was the first time as a league club we have ever been beaten at home by a non-league side.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on March 18, 2023, 06:14:29 pm by scawsby steve »
  We really do need to get rid of the pit pat soft underbelly players and system we are trying to instil in really not that good a players, and change the game plan to uncompromising winning football, and encourage our forward players to attack defenders on the run with the ball, and get defenders who are defenders first and physical.
  It's time to stop dreaming of making a silk purse out of a pigs bladder.

Exactly, Brian. We need a John Coleman or a Paul Warne type of manager, and a team of big, strong, athletic players playing direct football.

This is not La Liga, it's League 2 FFS.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on March 18, 2023, 06:47:54 pm by tyke1962 »
 This is the tale of two season's , bear with me .

Two season's ago we had a HC who quickly identified what the players he'd inherited could do and what they couldn't .

They were extremely fit and energetic and had quite a bit of physicality about them so we got the ball forward extremely quickly and direct , the front three pressed the life out of defenders who then had no option but to kick it long too , only we had our three man defensive line parked on the half way line waiting to return it back quickly .

Good championship teams with multi million pound players couldn't cope and they crumbled , they couldn't handle the pressure we put on them and made mistake after mistake after mistake , we finished 5th with 78 championship points .

It wasn't great to watch but my word it was effective .

Said coach leaves for WBA and incoming coach comes in and thinks we can build on 5th by playing more football , he throws the previous season's tactics out of the window .

We finish rock bottom and lucky to get 30 points .

That's a 48 point differential with  the very same players minus Mowatt and Dike .

Whilst nobody expected another play off place we didn't expect rock bottom either and the worst season for 40 years .

To witness both season's was extraordinary .

The moral of the story is , know your players and stop trying to put square pegs in round holes .

This isn't a complicated game , it's complicated by idiots .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on March 18, 2023, 06:54:25 pm by ravenrover »
What's your source for that?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on March 18, 2023, 06:57:39 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Agreed. Making the most of what you’ve got is the key to success in any sport, but DS’s objective is to fit what he’s got into an inflexible plan. Just a bit of give and take could improve things, but as I’ve been saying for a long time, you only have to listen to him to know that he will not compromise or adjust. I don’t see enough of them to know whether the current players could be more successful if he allowed them more freedom, but it surely could not be worse.

Is their complacency a reflection of an imagined belief that all the manager expects of them is to populate the Schofield template?

I am not sure I’d want a team who performed his way and as is agreed, it would surely involve unaffordable expense and even then would it work in League 2?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 18, 2023, 07:04:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  We really do need to get rid of the pit pat soft underbelly players and system we are trying to instil in really not that good a players, and change the game plan to uncompromising winning football, and encourage our forward players to attack defenders on the run with the ball, and get defenders who are defenders first and physical.

Exactly, Brian. We need a John Coleman or a Paul Warne type of manager, and a team of big, strong, athletic players playing direct football.

Someone let Leyton Orient know.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on March 18, 2023, 07:08:48 pm by ravenrover »
DO ?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on March 18, 2023, 07:22:09 pm by RugbyRover »

Current situation reminds of that old joke where a lad is lost in Ireland I think is was. He stops an old fella and asks him the way to process driven possession based football. Old fella turns to him and says "well young lad I wouldn't start from here".

For Copps to install someone like Schofield and insist that he plays the way he does, with the resources he has, is bonkers.

Can't believe there ain't been a poll about DS yet.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on March 18, 2023, 07:39:04 pm by danumdon »
Capitulation,

Totally and utterly by the players, manager and owners. We are football club that is utterly devoid of anything that's good and right. I have grave doubts that this shower have the minerals to keep us in the league next season never mind get promoted.

First off the players, we are a club in absolute free fall, we have no leadership on the field, we have no strength and commitment and we have the heart of a mouse, no player today could say they put a proper shift in, we went down like pinballs in every and any tackle, where is the players responsibility and commitment to be fit and conditioned to play a full season, we are back to the old ways of the last few seasons, we have no impact resistance conditioning and we play like its a friendly seniors match. We look venerable and frightened every time a ball comes into our box, its just so humbling to watch, every week.

Now the management, (if you can call it that) we have a head coach who is so blinkered and rigid in his failing systems he played 41 mins with a left back who was totally exposed and getting taken to the cleaners at every opportunity, we finished the last game sort of resembling a football team because we played someone who can perform the duties of a left back, so what does our genius do! he decides to revert to Rowe at left back and sticks Seaman out wide on the right? why ! are we totally devoid of any common sense, we have been telling this joker all season that Rowe is not a left back and cannot tackle for his life, unbelievable. We continue to play Moly and Hurst who have the combined heart of an amoeba, no drive, desire or commitment to get up or down so both Miller is left abandoned again and the power puff midfield of Close and Biggins are given the protection of a chocolate fireguard, its so sad to see our club play like it's real level is tier 6 or lower, because make no mistake a none league club would right now take us to the cleaners.

We keep saying that we don't have the personnel to play this turgid and forced game, we put our central defenders under pressure every time we to play out from the back and we create every week chances for the opposition to punish us, and the do. It's really the definition of madness to keep on exposing these poor players to this awful setup.

I have grave doubts that this fella will have anything in his bag to improve us with next season, he would make premier league players look really poor with his forced and convoluted game plan. I complete no from me for next season.

Finally the owners, if we are insistent on starving the club of the type of finances to turn us into a middling 4th tier club then we as fans don't have a great deal that we can do bar stay away from the club and i feel that nest seasons crowds will be our poorest since we nearly folded, its going to be that poor because many fans will not pay good money to be exposed to a a level of football they can watch for nothing on a Sunday morning on pitches right across town.

Its not working, your whole business case is weak and ineffective for our team to compete, even at the top of the bottom league in pro football, we have limited funds, poor players, shocking manager and a HOF who really should now take himself out of the firing line instead of being the fall guy for this shit show.

Can i respectively say to you, please take you money, plan and club Donny and stick it where the sun does not shine, ever for us. Id rather we take our chances with anyone bar this setup, its like watching your granny die, its a slow and painful existence for us,

We need a fresh start, if that means us being rid of this awful leadership that is going to see us in the none league again then im prepared to take my chance starting again , because the football cannot be any worse.

Ive just looked at my season ticket and flicked it across the room, the dog chased it, i don't know or care what he's done to it, as long as he's alright i've no desire to retrieve it whilst we persist with this debacle.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on March 18, 2023, 07:56:00 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
Today was awful, Wimbledon was awful, Harrogate was awful. The crowd is really turning though, it was really hostile today, anti-Schofield chants all second half and even against the team not being fit to wear the shirt. The money we've wasted on sacking bad inexperienced managers could have been spent on a half-decent experienced manager and we'd still be in League 1. That was tough to take today. Really tough.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on March 18, 2023, 07:58:21 pm by Avsuptem »
Capitulation,

Totally and utterly by the players, manager and owners. We are football club that is utterly devoid of anything that's good and right. I have grave doubts that this shower have the minerals to keep us in the league next season never mind get promoted.

First off the players, we are a club in absolute free fall, we have no leadership on the field, we have no strength and commitment and we have the heart of a mouse, no player today could say they put a proper shift in, we went down like pinballs in every and any tackle, where is the players responsibility and commitment to be fit and conditioned to play a full season, we are back to the old ways of the last few seasons, we have no impact resistance conditioning and we play like its a friendly seniors match. We look venerable and frightened every time a ball comes into our box, its just so humbling to watch, every week.

Now the management, (if you can call it that) we have a head coach who is so blinkered and rigid in his failing systems he played 41 mins with a left back who was totally exposed and getting taken to the cleaners at every opportunity, we finished the last game sort of resembling a football team because we played someone who can perform the duties of a left back, so what does our genius do! he decides to revert to Rowe at left back and sticks Seaman out wide on the right? why ! are we totally devoid of any common sense, we have been telling this joker all season that Rowe is not a left back and cannot tackle for his life, unbelievable. We continue to play Moly and Hurst who have the combined heart of an amoeba, no drive, desire or commitment to get up or down so both Miller is left abandoned again and the power puff midfield of Close and Biggins are given the protection of a chocolate fireguard, its so sad to see our club play like it's real level is tier 6 or lower, because make no mistake a none league club would right now take us to the cleaners.

We keep saying that we don't have the personnel to play this turgid and forced game, we put our central defenders under pressure every time we to play out from the back and we create every week chances for the opposition to punish us, and the do. It's really the definition of madness to keep on exposing these poor players to this awful setup.

I have grave doubts that this fella will have anything in his bag to improve us with next season, he would make premier league players look really poor with his forced and convoluted game plan. I complete no from me for next season.

Finally the owners, if we are insistent on starving the club of the type of finances to turn us into a middling 4th tier club then we as fans don't have a great deal that we can do bar stay away from the club and i feel that nest seasons crowds will be our poorest since we nearly folded, its going to be that poor because many fans will not pay good money to be exposed to a a level of football they can watch for nothing on a Sunday morning on pitches right across town.

Its not working, your whole business case is weak and ineffective for our team to compete, even at the top of the bottom league in pro football, we have limited funds, poor players, shocking manager and a HOF who really should now take himself out of the firing line instead of being the fall guy for this shit show.

Can i respectively say to you, please take you money, plan and club Donny and stick it where the sun does not shine, ever for us. Id rather we take our chances with anyone bar this setup, its like watching your granny die, its a slow and painful existence for us,

We need a fresh start, if that means us being rid of this awful leadership that is going to see us in the none league again then im prepared to take my chance starting again , because the football cannot be any worse.

Ive just looked at my season ticket and flicked it across the room, the dog chased it, i don't know or care what he's done to it, as long as he's alright i've no desire to retrieve it whilst we persist with this debacle.

Although very well.written this is horrible to read. Because it  is also true.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 18, 2023, 08:13:16 pm by The Dav »
Great statement Danum ! Every word is a 100% true.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on March 18, 2023, 08:15:47 pm by normal rules »
At the top end of the football pyramid, it seems Conte’s comments could ring true a bit closer to home?
Players playing for themselves? An out of touch ownership?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65002960

He said this, which we will never hear from the likes of DS.
"Until now I try to hide the situation but not now because, I repeat, I don't want to see what I have seen today because this is unacceptable and also unacceptable for the fans."

And of course DS isn’t without fault. Blinkered, uninspirational, inexperienced, lacklustre.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:18:54 pm by normal rules »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 18, 2023, 08:16:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Stop using budget as the reason for poor performances. It none sense. Total rubbish.

The players we have should and could be doing much much better than they are. I do think we are 3 or 4 players short of what we need in this league for top 3 but this team should be capable of top 7

The reason is squarely on the a manager / coach. He is trying to play a way which will not get success in this league. He is also unbelievably naive tactically. Also he must have almost zero motivational skills.
What in heavens name did he say to them at half time to produce one of the most disgraceful 45+ mins of football I have seen considering what was at stake in this match today.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on March 18, 2023, 08:24:03 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
You're absolutely right. The second half was terrible, no fight or passion or quality. I like Miller but clearly he didn't fancy it and got 'injured' and went off. We have a great away following but we just end up watching apathetically as there's just nothing to get excited about. The most excited the crowd got was about a man who was wearing chinos in the away end. Says it all.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on March 18, 2023, 08:26:52 pm by scawsby steve »

Someone let Leyton Orient know.

Well, the last time I saw Leyton Orient play, they didn't exactly look like f*cking Real Madrid.

However, the last 3 times I saw us play Rotherham, I saw a team of giants utterly and totally humiliate us. A club from a p*sspot little town that's got nothing going for it.

But, hey ho, if you're happy with nice guy Danny and his tippy tappy football, then dip your bread.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on March 18, 2023, 08:28:21 pm by ncRover »
Stop using budget as the reason for poor performances. It none sense. Total rubbish.

The players we have should and could be doing much much better than they are. I do think we are 3 or 4 players short of what we need in this league for top 3 but this team should be capable of top 7

The reason is squarely on the a manager / coach. He is trying to play a way which will not get success in this league. He is also unbelievably naive tactically. Also he must have almost zero motivational skills.
What in heavens name did he say to them at half time to produce one of the most disgraceful 45+ mins of football I have seen considering what was at stake in this match today.

Not defending the current style. But what way would you play with the players we have? What are their strengths as a group?

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on March 18, 2023, 08:43:55 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
It's false logic to assume more defenders = better defence. It just means more pressure on the defence as we play much more of the game in our own half. Two of the three goals today came directly from defensive errors, the third from an inability to track and mark. Five defenders plus Close and Biggins sat deep and slow is a crime against football. It's boring to watch and it means we are always under pressure which we can't cope with. If we were on the front foot up the other end of the pitch it'd take the pressure off the defence and if nothing else it would at least get the fans up and jumping and give us some excitement! Miller, Lavery, Hurst and Molyneux can be on the same pitch at the same time - time won't collapse in on itself - let Schofield know! 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on March 18, 2023, 08:50:52 pm by Campsall rover »
It's false logic to assume more defenders = better defence. It just means more pressure on the defence as we play much more of the game in our own half. Two of the three goals today came directly from defensive errors, the third from an inability to track and mark. Five defenders plus Close and Biggins sat deep and slow is a crime against football. It's boring to watch and it means we are always under pressure which we can't cope with. If we were on the front foot up the other end of the pitch it'd take the pressure off the defence and if nothing else it would at least get the fans up and jumping and give us some excitement! Miller, Lavery, Hurst and Molyneux can be on the same pitch at the same time - time won't collapse in on itself - let Schofield know!
Bang on 100% :thumbsup:

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on March 18, 2023, 08:53:31 pm by adamtherover »
The sad thing is,. We gave them two soft goals, miller missed two one on ones at the end,. On another day, we take home an undeserved 3pts..

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on March 18, 2023, 08:58:42 pm by Lesonthewest »
I honestly wonder what the owners/board think when they watch what we've watched today. Is it ah well there’s always next week, or is it that's not acceptable for this club & it's supporters, without which, we are nothing.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on March 18, 2023, 09:02:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Not defending the current style. But what way would you play with the players we have? What are their strengths as a group?

A bit more direct, a lot more pace and attacking intent. In league 2 the centre halves need to defend and not much more.  The full backs are too passive and don't create space going forward.

I'm not even going to mention the midfield.....

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on March 18, 2023, 09:04:38 pm by since-1969 »
I honestly wonder what the owners/board think when they watch what we've watched today. Is it ah well there’s always next week, or is it that's not acceptable for this club & it's supporters, without which, we are nothing.
It’s been downhill ever since Darren Moore left . Too many half hearted manger appointments who intern made mediocre player’s appointments. What is puzzling is how did they decide that James Coppinger who  was so influential to the supporters on the pitch , that he was the answer to the problem off the pitch ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on March 18, 2023, 09:05:49 pm by Campsall rover »
The sad thing is,. We gave them two soft goals, miller missed two one on ones at the end,. On another day, we take home an undeserved 3pts..
Possibly yes you’re right.
But even more sad is our ability to make a team like Salford who had one quality player in Galbraith in their team look almost decent. Salford are an average team at best. For them to be 7th in the League shows how poor this league is and how much we have underachieved this season.
We made it so easy for them today, not just in the fact of gifting them the 1st 2 goals but in our total no show apart from Miller’s misses in that 2nd half.
It’s sad that we have a manager who is unable to motivate, sad that we have no leadership on the pitch and even sadder that the players didn’t have enough pride in their own performances to allow that shambles of a display to become almost a regular occurrence.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on March 18, 2023, 09:09:52 pm by GazLaz »
We keep signing pretty poor players so we will end up with a pretty poor team. Players are the most important thing to a football team. Hopefully James realises that his/the clubs eye for a player is atrocious and builds a structure to identify talent. Until that happens in a serious way, we will struggle to improve enough to be a threat in this division.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on March 18, 2023, 09:15:38 pm by Silkscarf »
What more is there to be said? Bag of shit today. First half was just 2 average teams. 2nd half we were embarrassing.

Pleased for George that he scored but that one he neshed in the 2nd half says it all. He doesn’t fancy himself to score. But that’s his job. He will be OK for us if he’s the second best striker we’ve got..

Todd Miller had his best game for us. That’s a fact. But why is he even playing? He should be off combing his hair.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on March 18, 2023, 09:15:55 pm by roversdude »
Today was totally unacceptable, the team that started was good enough to get a result there. Don’t know if Tommy’s legs have gone but Bolton will have given him nightmares. Brown wouldn’t get near the starting 11 again not good enough and not interested. I think there is only Nelson and  possibly Seaman who can hold their heads high, i’d include Miller but for the one on ones

TinyPortal © 2005-2012