Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:42:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Harrogate Town game  (Read 5185 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Harrogate Town game
« on April 11, 2023, 10:15:03 am by selby »
  This is a big game for us in my mind, we need at least not to lose, easier said than done against a team that showed at Leyton that they at least can score two goals in a game, something if they do so against us probably guarantees three points, and unlike us can come back in a game when two goals down, something that looks beyond us at the moment.
  We have been slightly better the last two games, and playing away probably relieves some pressure, the atmosphere at home fluctuating from apathy to toxic in short time when things go tits up in games as has been the norm lately.
  So really what can we do with very little hope of players suddenly becoming fit, few changes to personnel can be envisaged, although Flint, and Adamson ( probably too early for him but attacking cover is scarce and like Goodman is a real prospect and a foil to Goodman being a different type of player and can play wide).
  Flint is a midfielder but also a good centre half who reads the game and can also spot a pass and another good prospect who would strengthen the bench. The one player I would involve is Jones if he can just walk on grass Mitchel seeming to have lost it badly at the moment.
  Yes I am being controversial, and putting a lot of trust in youth, but the standard of our squad between those that actually played yesterday and the best of the youth team is very small if any to me, and the youngsters can get better being around the first team games and the odd one in an emergency would not let anyone down.
  Matching other teams will to win games is as important as the game itself at this juncture of the season, teams in fear of relegation often pull together and battle while mid table sides tend to ease up something we cannot afford at all so need to go to Harrogate in the same mind as them and battle, something they were better than us at at the Eco and mugged us.
   So what do you think? me I think we are second favourites just in attitude and leadership, and need to stand up to be counted for a change.
   Lots to discuss, please have your say.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:24:18 am by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Harrogate Town game
« Reply #1 on April 11, 2023, 10:20:46 am by Canadian Rover »
Bottomley should start. I think Jones suffered a really bad injury didn't he? Mitchell does not justify playing.

Big worry is also without Ben Nelson is are we contemplating playing Rowe at CB again or RSW? Because you just know we won't play with a 4.

Looking forward to Hurst and Godman getting a 90 second cameo again though. My God how badly do we treat our younger players?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 11, 2023, 10:44:06 am by danumdon »
The first half display yesterday gave hope for this group of players that there is a bare standard that they can adhere to, that they were let down by the coach's inaction has been unfortunate but something that's occured on a regular basis.

If we can get our head space right for a change then you never know. It looks like it will be same again with Williams for Nelson, if he takes Rowe from midfield and weakens the area where we're really struggling then he needs carting away in a straight jacket for me.

I'd change out Brown for Seaman and ask the groundsman if he can play left back, if not play Seaman LB and get Moly up top with Agard, he was crying out for support yesterday which undid all his good hold up play.

I'd also ensure they tie up DS at half time and gag him to prevent any negativity being demonstrated to the players, Gribble looks like he likes to sign language from the touch line, ask him to mutter a few words of his own.

Someone needs to inject some positive vibes into the squad, would make a mountain of difference.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 11, 2023, 10:52:21 am by Donnywolf »
I thought till Nelsons injury that we were performing well.

Scope for a few jests as I asked who is the new bloke at CF. Agard actually winning headers against bigger defenders

I also said , it's great to see Away Goalkeepers running as I thought none of them could

Then it evaporated as we stopped doing what had brought a 1 goal lead , and for me optimism. I was sick when we went 1 1 and really hoped we didn't lose

So I am hoping we can do this again at HGate on Saturday with the young uns like Faulkner and Long given further starts. Pity no Nelson ( guessing at this stage ) but those three together looked very promising

I would start Goodman ( the future) and if he blows up 60 minutes in , so what,  he may have scored by then

Leedsrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 11, 2023, 11:01:25 am by Leedsrover »
Unfortunately, after 68 years of being a supporter , for the first time in my life I can honestly say , I don't care a jot whether we win  lose or draw. This coach has taken away any remaining enthusiasm for my club. I can't see any light at the end of this depressing tunnel.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 11, 2023, 11:46:53 am by edlored »
The game will be get bullied and lose

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 11, 2023, 11:56:50 am by Donnywolf »
Unfortunately, after 68 years of being a supporter , for the first time in my life I can honestly say , I don't care a jot whether we win  lose or draw. This coach has taken away any remaining enthusiasm for my club. I can't see any light at the end of this depressing tunnel.

That's how I felt until yesterday morning , nay right up to ko

But then our 1st half performance was light years away from what I had expected , and we scored

Then we capitulated and that's why it was a much disappointed me as I left the scene.

But roll on Saturday and then Stevenage and more importantly the Seasons end .

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 11, 2023, 12:02:32 pm by Upton Rover »
Once again pointless talking, hope we lose because a win will give this clown a platform to think he’s turned the corner, No talking till this inapt coach is shown the door

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 11, 2023, 12:03:41 pm by Mike_F »
I'll be at Harrogate on Saturday, more to have a few beers and get another ground in than for the football. I'm expecting another defeat and Schofield to still be in a job on Monday. I said before the match on Saturday that I think we'll lose every remaining match but there's always a chance that we'll catch someone on a bad day and fluke a win. I've onw reached the point of hoping we lose abjectly to further underline the desperate need to get shot of our hopeless manager.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 11, 2023, 04:21:07 pm by normal rules »
If it’s ale you’re after then the little ale house is a must and North Bar. Plus Harrogate Tap of course .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:57:31 pm by normal rules »

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 11, 2023, 04:32:00 pm by adamtherover »
I'll be at Harrogate on Saturday, more to have a few beers and get another ground in than for the football. I'm expecting another defeat and Schofield to still be in a job on Monday. I said before the match on Saturday that I think we'll lose every remaining match but there's always a chance that we'll catch someone on a bad day and fluke a win. I've onw reached the point of hoping we lose abjectly to further underline the desperate need to get shot of our hopeless manager.
sadly you are not alone,. If there is a glimmer of hope after another defeat, is that DS  does the right thing and walks away..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 11, 2023, 05:45:35 pm by Donnywolf »
If it’s all you’re after then the little ale house is a must and North Bar. Plus Harrogate Tap of course .

You have answered my q from other Thread NS

I had just about settled for Cold Bath and only one of your previous 4 you left out lol

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 13, 2023, 07:03:41 pm by In the box »
If after all your support you feel this let down , just imagine those who’ve only just in the last couple of seasons started to watching must think  :thumbdown:

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 13, 2023, 07:08:09 pm by Rovers91 »
Looking forward to Saturday, some cracking pubs in Harrogate. Just a shame with what we will need to watch between 15:00 - 16:45.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 13, 2023, 08:40:25 pm by normal rules »
Looking forward to Saturday, some cracking pubs in Harrogate. Just a shame with what we will need to watch between 15:00 - 16:45.

avoid the game. thats some decent drinking time you will miss out on.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 13, 2023, 08:47:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

There’s a strong possibility your day could free up around 15.45 if we concede a couple. That’ll be game over

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 13, 2023, 09:00:10 pm by Donnywolf »
If it’s ale you’re after then the little ale house is a must and North Bar. Plus Harrogate Tap of course .

Little Ale House it is .

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 15, 2023, 10:24:05 am by ForsolongaRover »
I see that the Yorkshire Post in a rather critical article picks up on this physicality theme https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/harrogate-v-doncaster-rovers-must-get-physical-to-save-danny-schofield-4103987
You could almost get the impression that this apparently experienced theoretical coach of ours has only just realised that players have to be fit and strong and has left this factor out of consideration until now.

I suppose it is a recognition of reality over the theory of “Process”. You could deduce that training has had insufficient emphasis on strength and stamina. Both fundamentals I would have thought.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 15, 2023, 12:20:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's not just about physicality though is it? Yes, more likely physical and mental stamina.

Had we have run out winners on Saturday as it was looking that way into the second half, nobody would be talking about being physical.

Much of our woes recently are self inflicted when we drop too deep, our midfield gets bypassed when the opposition are given free reign to bombard the box while we sit on the ropes. For me it's more about discipline and mental toughness. Is confidence a factor? Of course it is.

I get increasingly frustrated when Schofield (and managers before him) don’t appear to address this recurring theme and demand the players push up and maintain the shape that often gives us a foothold in games. It's the players too who should also be able to recognise what's happening.

Then of course, there's the issue of fresh legs. The use of subs last Saturday was bizarre to say the least.

These things can't be going unnoticed upstairs even given the mitigation of a long injury list. 

I'll definitely take a repeat of the first half performance last week but the coach has got to prepare better for the second half. Wasting subs is not an option.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 15, 2023, 02:07:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are a low energy, low stamina, low physicality, low concentration and low speed side.

This is largely why we lose so many games.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 15, 2023, 02:08:57 pm by steve@dcfd »
Looking at the team sheet for todays game reads like a second team fixture with with odd 2/3 first teamers playing. We extended contracts to 4 players and none are starting today. He wants physicality then let’s hope it’s not windy as it blow these over. Also take a look at funds we spent on these players and I bet none of them have justified the expenditure.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 15, 2023, 02:12:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
We have somehow found ourselves handing out the longest contracts to players in Taylor and Anderson, and some extent Rowe, who have arguably the worst injury records in the entire squad, and are in the final years of their careers. I am not sure what the logic is here.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:44:40 pm by Chris Black come back »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 15, 2023, 02:14:21 pm by ncRover »
We have somehow found ourselves handing our the longest contracts to players in Taylor and Anderson who have arguably the worst injury records in the entire squad, and in the final years of their careers. I am not sure what the logic is here.

Add to that the expectation that Anderson would be part of a playing out from the back defence.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 15, 2023, 03:11:21 pm by scawsby steve »
We have somehow found ourselves handing our the longest contracts to players in Taylor and Anderson, and some extent Rowe, who have arguably the worst injury records in the entire squad, and are in the final years of their careers. I am not sure what the logic is here.

I'll tell you what the logic is, CBCB; we have people running the club who are very good at making business decisions, but are utterly clueless at making football decisions.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 15, 2023, 03:37:32 pm by In the box »
0-1 Barlow . Good goal needs  to take more shots .

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 15, 2023, 03:52:17 pm by Little Wolf »
Better performance 1-0 up lets hope we do not try and park the bus second half and hope Danny remembers to use the subs   :facepalm:

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 15, 2023, 03:56:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
There is probably a pattern because the lads currently playing are many of them in no way 90 minute players. Not sure Agard, Barlow, Ravenhill, Westbrooke have played 90 minutes all season. Maybe a small number of exceptions. Take them off and you replace them with players from a very thin bench. Intensity and quality then drops.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 15, 2023, 04:08:40 pm by selby »
2-0 it's a goal fest.

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 15, 2023, 04:09:34 pm by Fal »
2-0, it’s bad when you were hoping we would lose so Schofield goes! However at the same it’s pleasing to see us actually score goals!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 15, 2023, 04:10:38 pm by selby »
2-1 here we go

TinyPortal © 2005-2012