Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:59:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Peterborough United game  (Read 9127 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Peterborough United game
« on November 28, 2023, 11:32:11 pm by selby »
  A game we can surely go into under no pressure at all result wise, against a team that are more established as a unit,  have more expensive players, and play every week at a standard we are way off, and generally score lot's of goals, have a chairman that gets more exposure on the radio, and a manager who knows us back to front and backroom staff who have also served time here so to speak.
  Then the side show of the two managers who have managed both clubs, and whose careers have collided more than is healthy to be close buddies.
  A lot at stake, probably more for us who could do with the prize money a cup run would bring and not to mention the extension of interest into the new year in a competition.
   They are a good side score a lot of goals, but concede goals as well, tend to dominate the ball possession and have a lot of shots 22 in their game at Stevenage tonight and 75% possession so I think it is fair to say I suggest we try and play the game in their half and not expose our defence too much.
  In fairness Fergie has them lying in fifth position in the league and most seasons seams to head them into at least a cup run in one of the competitions or playoffs  and has had some glory nights on national TV and also dramatic falls from grace such as v the Wendies in the play offs when everybody else didn't do what he told them to do, well he said so, and I can just imagine him waiting to strut his stuff after taking down little ol Donny, a place not big enough for the likes of him.
  It is interesting, we are better going head to head, because we can't or haven't at any stage been able to frustrate anyone for more than a few minutes in most games, they can be easy to play against, the trouble is we are generally easier to play against. so an entertaining game could be in prospect and we could well be on the end of an hammering, or a glory team for the day, they have players who score goals Mason Clark and Poku
We have Faal and Ironside and players like Molly who should offer more up front goal wise but could be the star of the show, it could be a very good game, or a walk over if we don't rise to the occasion and our defence and mid field don't get it together and improve before Saturday.
  What do you think? can we please have our day in the sun? and I would love to get one over Fergie, would you? Lots to discuss, lots to be gained if we can sneak a win, please have your say.   

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Peterborough United game
« Reply #1 on November 29, 2023, 12:03:22 am by drfchound »
It’s no secret that Ferguson and McCann really don’t like each other so that alone will add a bit of spice and neither will want to lose this match.
All the pressure though is on Peterborough as they are out and out favourites to win.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 29, 2023, 06:24:24 am by Chris Black come back »
They have a very strong home record in League One. 5th in overall table yet 3rd in home form table despite playing a game less at home than most of the other top home form sides. Only Bolton have scored more at home and nobody has a better home defensive record. They are very strong at home.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:12:37 am by Chris Black come back »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 29, 2023, 06:42:22 am by Draytonian III »
Rovers are 6/1 to win on Saturday

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 29, 2023, 07:25:45 am by Nudga »
I really want us to stuff these, I never warmed to Fergie and we really need the cup money to boost our coffers in January.

Hopefully sell a few more tickets off the back of last night's win.
Hopefully the santa hat idea has got around and we turn Posh red and white.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 29, 2023, 08:16:47 am by drfchound »
Myself and my mate have got our Santa hats but I wonder what percentage of our travelling fans will have read about this.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 29, 2023, 08:57:30 am by Nudga »
Myself and my mate have got our Santa hats but I wonder what percentage of our travelling fans will have read about this.

Needs to be shared on social media. Could rovers get on board to help spread the word?

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 29, 2023, 09:33:40 am by Batleyred »

It's being talked about on Facebook words getting round  :santa:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 29, 2023, 10:46:52 am by selby »
  The approach to the game Fergie takes is of interest to me, he never showed much interest in cups when he was the manager here and usually picked at least a couple of players on the fringe of the first team, then blamed them for not taking their chance when it went tits up.
   I hope he hasn't changed and has a head like a bears arse after this game.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 29, 2023, 10:48:43 am by normal rules »
Best place to pick up a couple of cheap Santa hats? I’m pretty crap at shopping .

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 29, 2023, 10:49:10 am by pib »
Looks like we've sold over 800 now. Can we get to 1k+? Would be a good turnout if so I think.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 29, 2023, 11:03:24 am by drfchound »
Best place to pick up a couple of cheap Santa hats? I’m pretty crap at shopping .

Sainsburys have them at £3 each.
Could try Poundland too.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 29, 2023, 11:20:07 am by Nudga »

Amazon are really cheap and quick delivery

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 29, 2023, 11:31:57 am by Donnywolf »
  The approach to the game Fergie takes is of interest to me, he never showed much interest in cups when he was the manager here and usually picked at least a couple of players on the fringe of the first team, then blamed them for not taking their chance when it went tits up.
   I hope he hasn't changed and has a head like a bears arse after this game.

I hope he just wants to shoot the Ref

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 29, 2023, 02:35:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Looks like we've sold over 800 now. Can we get to 1k+? Would be a good turnout if so I think.
Someone said we had sold 900 in 1st 2 days and 1.100 up to last Friday. We were supposed to be getting another 400 on top of the original 1.300.
What is the real figure sold then. Looks like someone telling porkies.

Really cheesed off I am missing this game. Sneaky feeling we will sneak a win.
That’s 5-0 to them than. :facepalm:

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 29, 2023, 02:53:16 pm by pib »
Someone said we had sold 900 in 1st 2 days and 1.100 up to last Friday. We were supposed to be getting another 400 on top of the original 1.300.

We were allocated just over 1300, and there are around 430 left on the Rovers ticketing site.

That's the most reliable source of info I have. I'll defer to anyone who has first-hand knowledge of the sales figures though.

I think there was some confusion over the numbers initially as only two out of the four blocks were released for sale online at the start.

I don't think it has ever been confirmed that we would be offered another 400 though, that was conjecture.

CORRECTION/EDIT - we were actually allocated 1363 and there appears to be 430 left, so that would make it 930ish sold.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 02:55:27 pm by pib »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 29, 2023, 02:57:49 pm by normal rules »

There’s a question mark over tickets sold. The initial Allocation was 1363. As of now there are 401 tickets left. However i noticed at the middle of last week that upper blocks an and lower a were not part of the initial ticket release. So have the club been given more over and above the initial allocation?  Ground guide has away capacity at 1800. So rovers have either sold 962 or over 1400. Either way, there are tickets left . Some who have been to TO recently report the figure is around 900 sold. I did think this would be very well attended given 800 went to Wimbledon. But it is closer to xmas, freezing cold and train disruptions. Plus the realists will be expecting rovers to get hammered.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 29, 2023, 03:16:49 pm by Nudga »
Even 1k is a good turnout

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 29, 2023, 03:29:16 pm by Pancho Regan »

Sainsburys have them at £3 each.
Could try Poundland too.

£2 in B&M for your ‘luxury’ Santa hat.
It has a very fetching white bobble on the end of a long string. Perfect for your annoying mate behind you to yank it off. (Nudga, I said YANK it off…)

I’ve got mine.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 29, 2023, 04:38:06 pm by selby »
  My take is we have the ability to go toe to toe with them football ability wise, whether we can match their athleticism and physicality in midfield remains to be seen.
  To do so I think more of our players are going to have to play the game at the top end of their range than Peterborough's who hopefully turn up in a generous mood and  wondering how much on their credit cards  the wives and girl friends are spending on the gold card on Christmas presents in the smoke down the road, or where do we go tonight to celebrate a cup win, lots of teams have fallen on a sword thinking its easy.
 In fairness anyone of our P v O competitors who put down win are looking for one against the head, or away with the fairies.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 04:41:21 pm by selby »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 29, 2023, 05:47:21 pm by drfchound »
  My take is we have the ability to go toe to toe with them football ability wise, whether we can match their athleticism and physicality in midfield remains to be seen.
  To do so I think more of our players are going to have to play the game at the top end of their range than Peterborough's who hopefully turn up in a generous mood and  wondering how much on their credit cards  the wives and girl friends are spending on the gold card on Christmas presents in the smoke down the road, or where do we go tonight to celebrate a cup win, lots of teams have fallen on a sword thinking its easy.
 In fairness anyone of our P v O competitors who put down win are looking for one against the head, or away with the fairies.

Only league games are included in the PvO mate.
More importantly though, have you shelled out yet for a Santa hat?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 29, 2023, 08:16:18 pm by selby »
  I have been in four different shops hound and have had the same reply in each one " big headed ones have to be to special order, especially those as big as your head, but we hope to get outsize in before Friday" 
   I might have to think about the supporters sat behind me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 29, 2023, 09:32:35 pm by drfchound »
The ones in Sainsburys have a short piece of elastic in the back of them so I guess they will be one size fits all.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 30, 2023, 07:25:31 am by normal rules »
Posh obv not expecting a bumper crowd for this. One whole end, the Moys end is closed for it.thats the  new all Seater stand behind the goal that replaced the wonderful away terrace .

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 30, 2023, 08:00:54 am by bobbymax »
While it would be nice to grab a shock win and some more prize money, let's be honest, the league has to be the priority.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 30, 2023, 08:48:33 am by normal rules »
While it would be nice to grab a shock win and some more prize money, let's be honest, the league has to be the priority.

I’d take a cup Run to third or fourth round with the chance of a few big away days and take mid table obscurity as a trade off this season . The club would benefit from a good cup run . And we are well overdue one .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 30, 2023, 09:22:07 am by Chris Black come back »
We reached the 5th round only a few seasons ago, when McCann was last here.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 30, 2023, 09:23:28 am by Herbert Anchovy »
I'm not expecting to get much from this game to be honest. I think that teams go to Posh and defend hoping to catch them on the break so I just hope that we go out and attack them from the start and don't give them a moments peace. If we play with endeavour and without fear then we'll give them a good game.

Had some brilliant away days at Posh over the years. A minibus trip organised by some lads who worked at Pilkingtons in the 1980's stands out (wonder if Big Jim from Balby eventually made it home!!). So I hope that those of you going to the game have a great day out!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 30, 2023, 10:11:24 am by normal rules »
March 2010. Posh 1 rovers 2. Gareth Roberts scoring a blinder from the edge of the box and then John Oster popping in the winner in the 90th minute in front of the jubilant rovers faithful in that wonderful away terrace is a fond memory.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 30, 2023, 11:22:41 am by Bezza »
One thing for sure ,Fergie won't want to lose this game,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012