Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:18:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Notts County game  (Read 5364 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Notts County game
« on December 23, 2023, 10:15:11 am by selby »
  The second of the hard fixtures we have over the Christmas period and we go into the game on a distinct downer with very little hope of players returning from injury in the short term, and are left with a group of players lacking character and the ability to compete against the top sides in this division we play in.
  Over the last few years since Moore left us up the Swanee river we have gone through various managers, have brought in a number of different players, coaches , and managers, but there is still a core of players here who are the common denominator, some amazingly here for quite a while still due to contracts, who are patently not good enough, still rule the roost in selection and have been a big corner stone in what is becoming the demise of a good club, a club that now has to change its priorities on the field of play to attract a fast deserting support base that in many cases now just support the club out of habit having been fed dross for three years.
  Any hope of challenging the playoffs are barring a miracle surely just dreams and the EFL cup our only hope of salvation if we manage to strengthen over the transfer window.
 So on to this game at Notts County that looks like at the moment another game to spoil Christmas, but against a team that set off the season like a house on fire but have slipped back but in Langstaff have a very dangerous goal scorer and with McGoldrick will give our Bill and Ben defence a big problem if not on it.
  With Faal now being more closely watched and being picked off as he collects the ball deeper which worked well until teams got wise to it, we are left with very little coming out of midfield offensively and creatively and are consistently poor defensively, a big problem as that part of the game disrupting the other teams flow not on our mid field players agenda by the look of it.
   Personally I would play Flint in a defensive mid field role in front of the central defenders which would be a back four. Until Faulkner and Wood are fit we are stuck with what we have got.
  So confidence low, form poor, players in the knowledge the manager is actively looking to bring players in to replace them, and a support base more and more disinterested living in hope of better things to come. At the moment it isn't a good look.
  Am I going to the game, yes I am hoping we can play well, but not very confident, the next few weeks can't come quick enough when I hope we get some out and new in and our better defenders back from injury.
  Lots to discuss, lot's of home truths to put right, a tough game to try and get something out of if we can play well, and some pride to recover, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Notts County game
« Reply #1 on December 23, 2023, 10:17:01 am by selby »
  Sorry lads, in the immortal words of Radio Sheffield it's a moan.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 23, 2023, 11:02:50 am by Chris Black come back »
Third best home record in League Two, only Stockport County (who played two more home games) has won more home games. Only Stockport County and Wrexham have scored more at home. In only 1 home game this season (against Wrexham) has Notts County failed to score.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 23, 2023, 12:20:12 pm by edlored »
Another drubbing same excuses so what only a game of football until we building teams of average non league players it will be like this every season untill we eventually drop down there

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 23, 2023, 01:11:41 pm by danumdon »
Riot act should of been well and truly delivered after that spectacle last night.

We all know we have injuries and are lacking in key areas, we can accept that and have no issues with things outside of the managers and players control.

What we cant accept is a turgid and pathetic display that we all  had to witness, you don't need to be the best players in the league to show some heart and determination to attempt to succeed, when players give less of themselves than should be the absolute  minimum then we all have grounds to not accept it.

County will be a difficult game for us, we have every chance of being turned over again, but we also have every chance of the players not feeling sorry for themselves and getting out their and giving their all, after that anything can happen.

Its called having some guts, determination and a resolve top do well, we should try it.

Its all we ask, nothing  more, anything after that will be a bonus and a relief.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 23, 2023, 04:01:51 pm by monkeytennis »
No way are we beating county on their turf unless most of that bunch receive a spine and a set of nuts for Xmas.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 23, 2023, 04:37:48 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
There is no set in stone plan, with each new manager it goes off in a different direction. McCann has suddenly adapted what he thinks the teams chances are by saying it’s going to take longer. I understand to a degree but don’t on another. He recruited the players in the summer. He has had a long time to have a way of playing and get players doing what he wants them to.

Some responsibility is on him. Everyone could see we needed solid, reliable players. He thought Wood, would be that, it hasn’t worked out. Sterry has barely played. The kid from Gateshead Bailey is a good signing. Faal and Ironside also. Senior and Nixon are decent players. Lawlor just a cheap signing.

Then you go to others already here. Close top player if on it, but either goes missing or injured. Molyneux top player for Hartlepool, never reproduced it for us. Hurst needs to realise he is a man not a boy any more.

McCann needs to be ruthless, this bunch will cost him his job. The board need to back him for a better quality of player.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 23, 2023, 05:26:25 pm by ncRover »
This will be a different game. They have smaller and more technical attacking players. Can’t play Anderson.

Notts are in poor form with 4 losses in their last 5 league games. And we saw their comical “playing out from the back” against Shrewsbury.

I think attack is the best form of defence for us here. Give Mo a rest he has gone completely off the boil.

Perhaps a return to 4-3-3 with an attack of Hurst Ironside Molyneux to press them? We know Bostock is slow as well, with 3 in midfield we can overrun him.

Surely Biggins can’t be picked again despite the injuries. We cannot afford for him to give the ball away every time he gets it against these lot. I would put Flint ahead of him at present.

GK

Sterry
Bailey
Olowu
Senior

Nixon
Close
Rowe

Hurst
Ironside
Molyneux

Picking a team with this mess is really difficult. Thoughts?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 23, 2023, 05:54:31 pm by RugbyRover »
I'd go with

Jones

Bailey   Anderson    Nixon

Sterry     Close       Flint       Molyneux

Goodman         Ironside        Hurst

I don't think the players are good enough to be able to switch systems at the drop of a hat. We've played  three at the back for so long I think we're stuck with it until the New Year at least.

I'd play Jones. He's have saved all three we conceded against Bradford.

I saw this back three give a solid dogged performance against Tranmere.

Nixon is a good defender but limited further up the pitch. Same applies to Bailey.

Sterry should be able to start a game now.
Flint has got to be better than Biggins and Rowe.

Give Faal a rest and I'd like to see Goodman playing with someone else up front for a change.

I'd play Hurst. I think he's an exciting talent. Get him in and around the penalty box and he'll do some damage.

They're my thoughts anyway.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 23, 2023, 06:08:33 pm by Campsall rover »
I'd go with

Jones

Bailey   Anderson    Nixon

Sterry     Close       Flint       Molyneux

Goodman         Ironside        Hurst

I don't think the players are good enough to be able to switch systems at the drop of a hat. We've played  three at the back for so long I think we're stuck with it until the New Year at least.

I'd play Jones. He's have saved all three we conceded against Bradford.

I saw this back three give a solid dogged performance against Tranmere.

Nixon is a good defender but limited further up the pitch. Same applies to Bailey.

Sterry should be able to start a game now.
Flint has got to be better than Biggins and Rowe.

Give Faal a rest and I'd like to see Goodman playing with someone else up front for a change.

I'd play Hurst. I think he's an exciting talent. Get him in and around the penalty box and he'll do some damage.

They're my thoughts anyway.
So Nixon is going to be ok up against a 6ft 2in opponent on a set piece.
Sorry we must go to a back 4 we have 4 full backs on our books and we are asking them to play centre back.
It’s madness.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 07:46:00 pm by Campsall rover »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 23, 2023, 06:24:33 pm by RugbyRover »
Playing Full Backs in a back three has been around since Bobby Robson and El Tel did it at Italia 90 and Euro 96. If its good enough for them its good enough for me.

Nixon is allowed to jump you know? He just needs to jump higher than the other guy.  :laugh:

Bailey and Rowe are not the tallest but are two of our better headers of the ball, because they time the jump well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 23, 2023, 07:04:58 pm by selby »
  Faal is not playing badly, just being marked more tightly especially when he drops back into midfield where he is getting tackled when receiving the ball and doubled up on.
  A couple of weeks ago he was a youngster not really much danger and not worth special treatment by opposing sides, his goals, and being our best midfielder at the same time with Westbrooke changed all that, and he has to find an answer to being more tightly marked.
  He needs to play and work it out himself, and hopefully get a bit more help from those around him in midfield, like finding space for him to pass to when he drops back.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 23, 2023, 07:47:51 pm by Campsall rover »
Playing Full Backs in a back three has been around since Bobby Robson and El Tel did it at Italia 90 and Euro 96. If its good enough for them its good enough for me.

Nixon is allowed to jump you know? He just needs to jump higher than the other guy.  :laugh:

Bailey and Rowe are not the tallest but are two of our better headers of the ball, because they time the jump well.
Bailey and Rowe are quite good in the air. Nixon isn’t. He is not a centre back sorry.
Talking about England players playing in a 3 and our players is chalk and cheese.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 23, 2023, 10:56:49 pm by Prez »
County love playing out from the back. Will we have the energy to press them and close them down?
Doubtful as Faal looks Knackered and Ironside can only do so much.

Cannot see anything other than another heavy defeat. 4-1 prediction to County sadly.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 24, 2023, 03:23:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I would go

Jones

Nixon   Anderson Rowe

Sterry.                             Senior

Bailey   

Close.           Molyneux

Ironside.    Faal

I would swap Bailey and Rowe’s positions. I think in this game we need more energy in the midfield. Rowe is a steady defender with plenty of experience . Anderson would be the central piece in the defence, hopefully protected by Bailey in front of him and Rowe and Nixon either side.

The worst thing we can do is go there fearful. County can be got at defensively . We need to go there solid but with some creativeness. It’s important we have both strikers playing as that occupies their defence.

Close and Molyneux have the ability to cause them problems.
When defending you would expect Faal to drop into midfield. For me the defending has to start from the strikers. Ironside and Faal have to be annoying their defence all game.

The full backs would be important in providing crosses. They can afford to go forward as they have the reassurance of three central defenders and Bailey in front of them. You have the creativity of Close and Molyneux. For me this is solid without going gung ho .

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 24, 2023, 06:39:11 am by Padge_DRFC »
Don't suppose you can get a ticket on the day for this one? Thinking of joining the few 100 going.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 24, 2023, 07:54:50 am by andyst79 »
I'd love for GM to spring a suprise & see a change in formation for this game . Pointless playing 3 Cb's every week when we ship goals for fun, having said that we just don't really have the personnel to mix it up. The midfield pairing of Close & Biggins is the one that got overrun pretty much week in week out last season.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 24, 2023, 08:42:59 am by Padge_DRFC »
Bailey has to play in midfield

If he is going to be play 3 at the back. Put Nixon at lwb and Sterry at rwb then put Senior left of the 3 with Anderson and Oluwu.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 24, 2023, 11:10:17 am by Avsuptem »
We are too easy to beat. All they have to do is keep lobbing long balls into our goal area / penalty box and Bob's their uncle. Hard to believe we have not fixed this problem.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 24, 2023, 11:26:04 am by CJK »
Anyone know how many we've sold for this one?

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 24, 2023, 03:03:39 pm by Butchers Red »

My mate tried buying yesterday and was told it's sold out.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 24, 2023, 03:09:03 pm by Nudga »

I'm sure last day of sale was Friday

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 24, 2023, 08:12:55 pm by Barmby Rover »
I hate to say it but another stuffing is on the cards, 6-0 against County 4-1 against Mansfield, unless there is a Damascene moment and we learn how to defend!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 24, 2023, 09:50:37 pm by Pancho Regan »
We will get blown off the park and convincingly beaten.

My thoughts are with all our travelling fans.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 25, 2023, 12:28:57 am by dickos1 »
We haven’t been convincingly beaten away from home since August, so not sure there’s any reason why we should now

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 25, 2023, 10:05:04 am by Rovers Return »

I rang Notts County for a mate and was told it wasn’t a sell out and they were going to sell tickets on the day. I would advise ringing beforehand to make sure.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 25, 2023, 10:11:18 am by steve@dcfd »
If GM decides a back three then

Lawlor

Olowu.      Anderson.     Senior

Sterry.      Close.        Bailey.         Nixon

Rowe or Molyneux

Ironside.           Faal

Or play a back four

Lawlor

Sterry.        Olowu.        Anderson.     Senior

Bailey

Molyneux.      Close.      Rowe.      Hurst

Ironside
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 10:18:19 am by steve@dcfd »

Leedsrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 25, 2023, 10:25:25 am by Leedsrover »
Fond memories of the City Ground 26th December 2008- Forest 2 Rovers 4 against all the odds and then a brilliant 2nd half of that season to follow!

www.skysports.com/football/nottingham-forest-vs-doncaster-rovers/10758

Apologies no tech skills!

We can do it in the same city all over again- come on Rovers!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 25, 2023, 11:54:43 am by Campsall rover »
Fond memories of the City Ground 26th December 2008- Forest 2 Rovers 4 against all the odds and then a brilliant 2nd half of that season to follow!

www.skysports.com/football/nottingham-forest-vs-doncaster-rovers/10758

Apologies no tech skills!

We can do it in the same city all over again- come on Rovers!
We have only 6 points more now than we had before that Forest match on Boxing Day 2008

Would not surprise me if we pulled off a 4-2 win tomorrow ( well it would a little ) But it’s not fantasy.
County have remarkably conceded 4 more goals than we have in the league.

If we are up for this game tomorrow then there will be goals in this match for both teams
This is a good time to be playing County. Yes they will be thinking the same of course.

Maybe just maybe history can repeat itself and it’s 2009 again in 2024.

Has anyone put out an S.O.S call for Paul Heffernan.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 11:57:16 am by Campsall rover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 25, 2023, 11:57:36 am by Chris Black come back »
They have one of the very best home records in League Two and only Stockport has won more home games. They have scored in every home league game aside from one. Sure we could get a result, but it would be in the face of a strong and consistent record Notts County has at home, and a consistently poor away record for us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012