Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:29:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wigan Athletic game.  (Read 5329 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Wigan Athletic game.
« on January 13, 2024, 08:44:47 pm by selby »
  Can we have a performance please? would be the majority of our fans wish.
  We are playing a better team than Newport, with a player in Wyke I have seen bully and score against us when we had much better teams than we currently have, and will be a test for any of our central defenders.
  Will Faulkner at last get a game or keep up his record of knees up on the touch line warming up for 90 minutes?  will we see Flint? a cultured player who could move into midfield and do no worse than what has passed for a midfield all season.
  Will McGrath play again in what could turn out to be a much stiffer test against Wyke and Magennis than sit back and wait Newport posed?
  If Wigan want to have the chance of a day out in London they will be licking their lips at the draw they have got, especially if they have recordings of our games this season, easy on the eye, easy to play against, give chances away , and miss them at the other end.
 Can our new signings play? would you play them? McGrath and  Waters  played well I thought, the jury out on Craig although tough coming into a poor midfield anyway, and Carty not seen enough of him.
  We really are powder puff in that midfield we need a rethink IMHO, we are a soft touch with mistakes in us to add to our problems, Newport never tried to win the game, just waited for us to lose it, which is what we do.
  We have not got a hard man to play against on the field apart from Ironside and he sticks out like a sore thumb with a bandage on.
  So what team would you play? We are desperate for something to cheer, and are starting to look like falling into a big hole in the league.
  Wigan are not having the best of seasons but have some good experienced players but have a good young u21s team some of which could play a part in this game and have in Tickle the England U21s keeper tipped for big things, and we need to play well if we are to progress to play Bradford City,
  So what do you think, a fixture that is in a competition unloved by many but our last chance of actually achieving something this season, will we be s**t or sugar the biggest question I suppose, will Taylor and Faulkner get a game of sorts? is Wood fit to play and look after Wyke? What sort of team will Wigan put out? how many after today will brave the weather and go to the game? the one thing we are losing quicker than games being supporters.
  Lots to discuss, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

In the box

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wigan Athletic game.
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2024, 08:50:54 pm by In the box »
Is this a game we are bothered about or an opportunity to let rip without constraints and just go for it !!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2024, 09:00:41 pm by scawsby steve »
I doubt that GM will prioritise this competition now that we're clearly in a relegation scrap.

We've Bradford coming up on Saturday, a likely defeat that will push us even further into the mire.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2024, 09:38:25 pm by Nudga »
I actually think we need this cup run to keep interest in the fan base going.
Would also give us a bit more funds and could help the league form as well.
If I was GM, I'd be putting my best 11 on the pitch.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 13, 2024, 09:40:17 pm by drfchound »
That is just what I was saying at the game today Nudga.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2024, 09:42:25 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We need to get a performance to take into league games imo. If we’d won today fair enough play a weaker team. That doesn’t mean not trying something new.

I might try Bailey in midfield in front of the back 4 with Craig and Close also in there. Then let Faulkner and McGarth play together at centre half. Hurst is probably due a start to help him get back fully and Moly can sit it out after today.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:50:32 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2024, 09:46:54 pm by Thorney »
Give ironside a rest and stick bobby upfront.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 13, 2024, 09:59:05 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Grant said Craig and Waters are cup-tied having played in the competition for Spurs U21 and Wrexham.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 14, 2024, 03:33:17 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I would hope he would give minutes to the new lads (those eligible) alongside his first choice others, they need time to develop understandings and this is a good chance to do that.  I like the idea of playing Faulkner and McGrath together to see if that pairing works and get Bailey into the midfield holding role.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 14, 2024, 03:53:19 pm by tyke1962 »
This isn't the greatest Wigan league one side I've seen by any means but if you take away their points deduction they would sit 9th .

We played them at Oakwell on New Year's Day and whilst it was a very leggy performance from ourselves Wigan were well worth the point and could easily have taken all three points .

They like to play out from the back and that's where you can get at them , quite why league one outfits think they can play out from the back is a mystery to me but there you are .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 14, 2024, 03:59:49 pm by Filo »
This isn't the greatest Wigan league one side I've seen by any means but if you take away their points deduction they would sit 9th .

We played them at Oakwell on New Year's Day and whilst it was a very leggy performance from ourselves Wigan were well worth the point and could easily have taken all three points .

They like to play out from the back and that's where you can get at them , quite why league one outfits think they can play out from the back is a mystery to me but there you are .

We like to take attacking throw ins and work it back to our keeper and then try to play out from the back often resulting in an aimless punt upfield

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 14, 2024, 04:04:59 pm by danumdon »

The current "coach group think"

When i go to work in my BMW i don't try to drive on the A1 like i think i'm Louis Hamilton but there we go, every coach now thinks he can play like he has the players on a par with Man City!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 14, 2024, 04:50:03 pm by selby »
   Can anyone explain why when teams who play out from the back are one down with say 10 minutes to go they go long to try and get the ball in the box and score, even send the keeper up as an extra attacker in the box.
  Now if that's the get out to score a goal, why not do it in all the game and mix it up so you are not predictable.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 14, 2024, 05:22:04 pm by selby »
  It will be interesting just to see the line up we pick for this game.
   In Faulkner and Flint we have two youngsters who could have featured much more, in Faulkner's case through injury and Flint  has come through on a slow burner, but compared with McGrath and quite a few loan players have been side lined even after stepping in and doing well while others from bigger named clubs are thrown in straight away and look miles off it.
   In Wigan we are playing one of the strongest sides we have met this season if they take the fixture seriously, play a division higher and also have a good u21s set up as well as experienced players so will be a strong adversary we cannot afford to take lightly.
    We are a team in transition as we have to start evolving from the depths we have plunged to, and it will take time, but we need something to hold onto and inspire something of a rise in form to the end of the season, and this game and competition could be that spark.
   If we lose it is not the end of the world, probably expected by many and therefore a free hit, if we give it a go and play well they will have to play well on the day to beat us, and we should have a team of young players with the ambition to do well and make their name in football, this could be their chance just another couple of games away.  Just go for it, and play well.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 14, 2024, 06:31:47 pm by roversdude »
Just looked up the rules on how many players from previous game need to start - these are classed as “qualifying player”

Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches.

Guidance

‘Full Available Strength’ means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.
Qualifying Player means any Player who:

had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;
is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or
is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 15, 2024, 04:12:09 pm by ForsolongaRover »
With the need to integrate the newcomers you could argue that the more competitive practice the players have as a team, the more benefit there will be.

Do the way Wigan play create a significant risk of injuries?

Their position (admittedly after the points deduction) in League 1 is similar to ours in L2, so their priorities may well be similar.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 15, 2024, 04:26:40 pm by roversdude »
It would be great if we could integrate the new players tomorrow however as previously noted both Craig and Waters are cup tied

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 15, 2024, 04:46:24 pm by monkeytennis »
I know the thread is about the performance on the pitch but what really bugs me about these cup games is how the club never seem to go for it in terms of ticket sales, only opening up one side of the ground etc.

We are supposedly a good community club so why aren’t we out in schools, colleges, everywhere - handing out tickets and spreading the word about the game. Why are the SM channels so quiet on it?

If I was in charge (lol) it would be £5 each, kids are free, let’s pack the place out.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 15, 2024, 04:52:48 pm by Filo »
I know the thread is about the performance on the pitch but what really bugs me about these cup games is how the club never seem to go for it in terms of ticket sales, only opening up one side of the ground etc.

We are supposedly a good community club so why aren’t we out in schools, colleges, everywhere - handing out tickets and spreading the word about the game. Why are the SM channels so quiet on it?

If I was in charge (lol) it would be £5 each, kids are free, let’s pack the place out.

And another 7pm KO, when will the penny drop that people need to finish work to attend

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 15, 2024, 04:55:24 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

And another 7pm KO, when will the penny drop that people need to finish work to attend

Absolutley.  I still have a grumble about this competition that they killed with the B teams.  But I'd never ever make a 7pm kick off.

But monkeytennis, you could charge £0 for this game, the crowd would still be awful.

McCammon egg n chips

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 15, 2024, 05:03:46 pm by McCammon egg n chips »
7pm kick off is a killer. Two of would've gone but the early kick off means neither of us can.

Is there any reason why these are always early kick offs?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 15, 2024, 05:22:31 pm by drfcsteve »

Absolutley.  I still have a grumble about this competition that they killed with the B teams.  But I'd never ever make a 7pm kick off.

But monkeytennis, you could charge £0 for this game, the crowd would still be awful.

Completely agree, our fan base has dwindled massively. If by some miracle we do get to Wembley it would be interesting how many went.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 15, 2024, 06:27:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
Saturday’s result was a shocker that will have a knock-on effect, no doubt about it.

I can’t see many being bothered!

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 15, 2024, 06:41:23 pm by RoversInSpain »
Success breads success, this to me is a big game. Let’s win it, we’ve got enough bodies to cope with any amount of games so now is the time they can sweat some blood and get stuck in.
Wins will bring the fans back…

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 15, 2024, 07:21:16 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Not sure a three year spiral down to 20th place in the fourth tier with no current sign of digging ourselves out of it is a good time to be trying to market the appeal of two hours on a frosty January night sat watching Rovers.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 15, 2024, 07:30:34 pm by Lesonthewest »
My enthusiasm for this game has waned. I would swap defeat tomorrow for a performance & positive result on Saturday, we really need to start picking up points.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 15, 2024, 07:33:43 pm by selby »
Two good results would be nice Les, nothing wrong with being greedy in football.
  I can remember going in the LDV trophy on the 12th of Nov 2002
 A conference team v a team just starting to rise to the top division, Roberts and Ellington ripping it up for them up front, Dave Beasant in goal for them and our team were non league guests instead of u21s teams.
  We won in their new ground against the odds, our side full of who would become folk law around these parts, also went in 1965 FA cup with rolls reversed us a league side, them non league re directed through Huddersfield because some roads blocked over the Pennines and before I think the  M62, we lost 3-1 I think their veteran centre forward the hero.
  The funny thing is both games preceded success for both sides just after, I hope history repeats itself.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:28:38 pm by selby »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 15, 2024, 08:15:13 pm by Donnywolf »

Not sure a three year spiral down to 20th place in the fourth tier with no current sign of digging ourselves out of it is a good time to be trying to market the appeal of two hours on a frosty January night sat watching Rovers.

We should be grateful for the warmth in Ground compared to the - 20c in American Football Play offs

6th coldest game on record. Bet that cold did for the losers Miami Dolphins

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 15, 2024, 08:19:36 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Be interesting to see how many changes McCann makes with a few still not fully fit so could be a good game for them but also Waters, Craig and Biggins all unavailable. I’d go with a strong side and try get to wembley which will bring excitement back to the club.

If senior is fit then he comes in at LB and Rowe into the midfield for me, if Senior is still out then Rowe LB and Faulkner partnering McGrath with Bailey just infront. Taylor on the bench again and look at giving him 10-15 mins maybe, Carty and Hurst starting either side of Ironside. Could also see Maxwell and/or Wood back in the squad.

Jones

Nixon Bailey McGrath Senior

Broadbent Close Rowe

Carty Ironside Hurst

Could go with Molyneux in the 10 possibly if Rowe needs a rest or Senior isn’t fit.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 15, 2024, 08:20:26 pm by Draytonian III »
I can’t do 7pm kick offs but I’m on cup direct so I’ve given my ticket away. Why have we moved the time forward ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012