Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:23:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Most embarrassing performance since 97/98?  (Read 2923 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Most embarrassing performance since 97/98?
« on September 28, 2021, 09:50:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of one to top it. Not just the scoreline. The abject capitulation. The fourth (or was it third, I'm punchdrunk) and sixth goals in particular where there were literally 3 or 4 Ipswich players lined up to score without a Rovers player within yards of them.

Thank f**k they packed up and played it along the back line for the last 15 minutes. That would have been double figures if they'd wanted it, because we had totally given up. I have never seen a rabble so disorganised since  Weaver and Bergara were in charge.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Most embarrassing performance since 97/98?
« Reply #1 on September 28, 2021, 09:53:06 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Weak mentality this team. Says it all when you hear an interview basically from Wellens hoping his players can cope with a journey as far as Plymouth.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 28, 2021, 09:53:32 pm by colincramb »
Agree BST. Sadly, I agree.

The question is just what on earth we do about it? I honestly can’t see where or how this changes. I’ve lost track of our run now, what is that? 3 wins in our last 30+ games?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 28, 2021, 09:57:02 pm by belton rover »
Billy. I agree with all of that.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 28, 2021, 09:57:56 pm by POD »
Agree BST. Sadly, I agree.

The question is just what on earth we do about it? I honestly can’t see where or how this changes. I’ve lost track of our run now, what is that? 3 wins in our last 30+ games?

Yes it’s not just this season, the downward spiral has been happening since February and no one seems to be able to stop it.   There were tentative signs of improvement in the previous two matches, but all that has been blown out of the water by tonight’s performance and result.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 28, 2021, 10:03:25 pm by tommy toes »
Wellens's recruitment had been abysmal.
Apart from Dahlberg,who is by no means perfect, and Tommy Rowe, who wanted to come back to Donny,  the rest of them are absolutely woeful.

If Cukur is a footballer, I'm Princess Margaret. Who on earth decided to sign him?
The rest of his signings are complete dross.
Could have done better missen.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 28, 2021, 10:04:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Tommy certainly wasn’t without guilt tonight either.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 28, 2021, 10:04:44 pm by Donnyjim »
As I’ve said before there has been an omnipresent sense of doom at the club for some time. On and off the pitch. The players, the managers, the owners. Something has to give or we heading out of the football league for a second time. I think there is something very worryingly wrong behind the scenes.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 28, 2021, 10:20:34 pm by acacia94 »
I feel even worse – I was there!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 28, 2021, 10:21:13 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I would agree. It's the worst I can recall in the 20 years I've been watching rovers.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 28, 2021, 10:25:20 pm by Filo »
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of one to top it. Not just the scoreline. The abject capitulation. The fourth (or was it third, I'm punchdrunk) and sixth goals in particular where there were literally 3 or 4 Ipswich players lined up to score without a Rovers player within yards of them.

Thank f**k they packed up and played it along the back line for the last 15 minutes. That would have been double figures if they'd wanted it, because we had totally given up. I have never seen a rabble so disorganised since  Weaver and Bergara were in charge.

Agree with all that, they should be ashamed, I can see the fans getting hostile on Saturday if they don’t pull their finger out

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 28, 2021, 10:32:47 pm by acacia94 »
Truth is half those players who were in red tonight would struggle in LG2. They're just piss poor footballers. It's looking dire boys and girls.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 28, 2021, 10:35:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Truth is half those players who were in red tonight would struggle in LG2. They're just piss poor footballers. It's looking dire boys and girls.

I think, possibly, the first choice XI might just about be able to squeak enough points to stay up.

But take just one or two out and we have nothing to replace them with. The squad is threadbare. I just cannot understand how Wellens has spent up putting together a squad so lacking in quality.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 28, 2021, 11:06:46 pm by drfc1951 »
Was tonight worse than the 6-0 home defeat to Ipswich a few years ago.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 28, 2021, 11:14:09 pm by dijit8 »
Yes it was, as soon as I saw the team sod put out that night I rang a few people to tell them to back Ipswich. I think h e dropped a few of the first eleven after they were in a bit of trouble in town the previous weekend.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 29, 2021, 12:04:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »

That was the only other one that came to mind. I missed that match but I'm struggling to believe that side just gave up like we did tonight. As I said in the OP it was the manner of the surrender tonight that hurt. The defending for the last 25 minutes was like a Sunday League side getting a caning from a team 5 divisions above them. We just gave up.

For the third goal, Williams against their left winger turned slower than the seasons. He looked like a player doing the last shuttle run in training before collapsing exhausted. Then when the cross came over there were three players unmarked at the back stick.

Then the sixth. Four of their players lined up on the six yard line with no Rovers player anywhere near.

If Ipswich had pressed after that, it would have been 10-0. I've never, outside 97/98, seen a Rovers side just give up like that. That is what really hurts about tonight. The lack of basic professional organisation and pride.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:08:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 29, 2021, 06:40:47 am by tommy toes »
The 6-0 last night was far worse than the 0-6 in 2011.
That team was outclassed but never gave up and but for a wonder save by their keeper would have scored in the last minute

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 29, 2021, 06:47:10 am by Upton Rover »
Looks like the whole team don’t want to play for RW you can see the whole team just don’t gel

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 29, 2021, 07:50:32 am by BigH »
Confidence looks shot to bits - among the players and the manager - and that takes some recovering from. Particularly at this level.

Lack of leaders on the pitch is a concern. Only Rowe looks up for it and even he was off it tonight.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 29, 2021, 08:29:41 am by roverstillidie91 »

Agree with all that, they should be ashamed, I can see the fans getting hostile on Saturday if they don’t pull their finger out
Would you define them as supporters who turn on their players though? Shouldn't they support and encourage lift their spirits. RW said as much last night they are lacking in confidence. Doesn't help booing and jeering your own players. Never done it myself personally.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 29, 2021, 08:45:24 am by drfchound »

Would you define them as supporters who turn on their players though? Shouldn't they support and encourage lift their spirits. RW said as much last night they are lacking in confidence. Doesn't help booing and jeering your own players. Never done it myself personally.

I agree with this.
I have no doubt that there will be plenty of “fans” giving the team and the manager stick on Saturday.
Especially if MKD score first.
I also think that the most vocal with their angst on here will be among the loudest on Saturday.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 29, 2021, 08:53:03 am by Filo »

I’ve never done it myself either, but we know what a section of our fans are like

Walshy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 29, 2021, 08:55:50 am by Walshy »
Last night was as bad as the 8-0 at Orient and its what would have happened at Rotherham a few weeks back if they hadn't had a player sent off. Time to go Richie I'm afraid.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 29, 2021, 08:59:05 am by donnievic »
without a doubt least they tried but just wasn’t good enough in the home gone,their was none of that last night

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 29, 2021, 09:00:07 am by selby »
  It wasn't as bad as Gillingham away in the cup, nowhere near as far as trying goes, I could have executed a few that day.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 29, 2021, 10:44:30 pm by idler »
The 6-0 last night was far worse than the 0-6 in 2011.
That team was outclassed but never gave up and but for a wonder save by their keeper would have scored in the last minute
I thought that that effort crossed the line Tommy. We sit more or less in line and it looked over to us.
They then went straight up the other end to score their 6th which meant a new record home league defeat otherwise it would have been 1-5.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 30, 2021, 07:06:05 am by roversdude »
Last night was as bad as the 8-0 at Orient and its what would have happened at Rotherham a few weeks back if they hadn't had a player sent off. Time to go Richie I'm afraid.

Seriously !!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 30, 2021, 07:12:13 pm by IDM »
Posh away a few seasons ago - lost 4-0.  I think it was just as fergie was being appointed.

Didn’t deserve nil that day either..

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 30, 2021, 07:49:41 pm by scawsby steve »
happened at Rotherham
It wasn't at Rotherham, Rigo

Yes it was, if he's referring to the red card Rotherham got, that saved us from an absolute drubbing.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012