Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:12:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How do you solve a problem like Doncaster Rovers?.l  (Read 2421 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Three nil up and we go on and lose it!. Unbelievable, I still can’t believe it.
Can anyone remember a game against Yeovil years ago, three up and we lost, Carl Alford coming back to haunt us.

Encouraging that we scored three, but to lose from there :headbang:. I definitely think we might need a holding midfielder and centre half.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 05:24:46 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: How do you solve like Doncaster Rovers?.
« Reply #1 on January 02, 2022, 05:04:01 pm by BobG »
How about 4-0 up at half time against 10 men at Telford? we just (!!) managed to stuggle to a draw.

BobG

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 02, 2022, 05:05:57 pm by DonnyNoel »
How about 4-0 up at half time against 10 men at Telford? we just (!!) managed to stuggle to a draw.

BobG

Not the time but I remember being gloriously drunk watching that capitulation on a sky sports news screen in a Walkabout in Newquay. Good times. Sort of.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 02, 2022, 05:14:01 pm by DRFCSouth »
Remember the Yeovil game. I seem to remember it being 5-4 to them after we were 4-1 up. Hard to recall though.

Then another crazy game against Dover where I think we came out on top 5-4 after almost throwing a 4-1 away. Glenn Kirkwood being amongst the scorers.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 02, 2022, 05:29:13 pm by PDX_Rover »
I remember us being 3-0 up at home versus Halifax in the late 80’s I think and losing 3-4. It happens. We move on.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: How do you solve a problem like Doncaster Rovers?.l
« Reply #5 on January 02, 2022, 05:29:33 pm by RoversAlias »

BobG

Thing is, that was a freak result and we were a good team back then. This is the result of a long list of massive problems in the team and club.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 02, 2022, 05:32:23 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I remember all those games mentioned. The titanic could go through our midfield and avoid it better than it did that iceberg.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 02, 2022, 05:46:10 pm by Lesonthewest »
I remember us being 3-0 up at home versus Halifax in the late 80’s I think and losing 3-4. It happens. We move on.

Was at that game, thought I would never see the likes again, but here we are.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 02, 2022, 05:57:35 pm by Padge_DRFC »
In answer to the actual post. Someone in a role that understands football well would be a start.
Leave the dome vending machine sales to  Baldwin

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 02, 2022, 06:01:52 pm by silent majority »
In answer to the actual post. Someone in a role that understands football well would be a start.

How pathetic.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 02, 2022, 06:07:08 pm by Padge_DRFC »

How pathetic.

Why he's good at that? It brings in extra revenue. He's however garbage on the football side of things. Leave him to what he's good at. Get someone good at football in.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 02, 2022, 06:37:21 pm by silent majority »

How pathetic.

Why he's good at that? It brings in extra revenue. He's however garbage on the football side of things. Leave him to what he's good at. Get someone good at football in.

You do realise he’s the CEO don’t you? He just does what the Chair expects him to do.

The football responsibility lies with David Blunt.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 02, 2022, 06:46:51 pm by scawsby steve »
Remember the Yeovil game. I seem to remember it being 5-4 to them after we were 4-1 up. Hard to recall though.

Then another crazy game against Dover where I think we came out on top 5-4 after almost throwing a 4-1 away. Glenn Kirkwood being amongst the scorers.

Yes, we won 5-4 against Dover but were never in the lead up to the 5th goal. In fact, it was one of the greatest Rovers comebacks of all time, seeing as we were 0-3 down, and then 3-4 down.

You were right about Kirkwood though. He scored the winner, and many Rovers fans ran on to the pitch.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 02, 2022, 06:58:29 pm by RobTheRover »

How pathetic.

You do realise he’s the CEO don’t you? He just does what the Chair expects him to do.

This is exactly what all those calling for Gavin to go don't understand. How business works.

The CEO isn't the one calling the shots. That's the Chair of the Board. The CEO is the one tasked with delivering.

If the Chair isn't giving the CEO the tools to deliver the job then where does the failing lie? Most CEOs I know are too professional to take any grumbles about resources outside the business and I'm sure Gavin is no different.

If the critical actions required (which we can all see plainly are necessary to retain L1 status) in the next month don't materialise then the Chair is where that responsibility starts and ends.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 02, 2022, 07:06:52 pm by DearneValleyRover »
It’s been mentioned before, even the league cup tie at Arsenal that David Blunt isn’t an appropriate chair, this got shouted down at the time but we are now bearing the fruit of his leadership the fault isn’t with Gavin.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 02, 2022, 07:08:49 pm by Padge_DRFC »

How pathetic.

This is exactly what all those calling for Gavin to go don't understand. How business works.

The CEO isn't the one calling the shots. That's the Chair of the Board. The CEO is the one tasked with delivering.

If the Chair isn't giving the CEO the tools to deliver the job then where does the failing lie? Most CEOs I know are too professional to take any grumbles about resources outside the business and I'm sure Gavin is no different.

If the critical actions required (which we can all see plainly are necessary to retain L1 status) in the next month don't materialise then the Chair is where that responsibility starts and ends.

He isn't delivering though on the football side that's the problem. Nonsense he hasn't been given the tools. The money has been wasted.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 02, 2022, 08:06:38 pm by PDX_Rover »
So… does Mr. Blunt need replacing, then?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 02, 2022, 08:18:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »

About 5 years ago

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 02, 2022, 08:51:19 pm by The Beast »
We try and sign some hungry players who want to play for DRFC and are capable of getting us out of league 2 next season, give them 4 months to try and gel.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 02, 2022, 11:10:56 pm by Bentley Bullet »

About 5 years ago
I wonder why he hasn't been replaced then?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 02, 2022, 11:24:43 pm by normal rules »
I have given this some thought and wondered if more could be done with the reserves. Perhaps this is where some time and a little investment development could bear fruit. Oh, and a much more effective selection and identification of unknown talent mechanism.
It did not do Brentford any harm.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 02, 2022, 11:26:29 pm by drfchound »
It appears that the knives are being sharpened. Has the time come?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 02, 2022, 11:44:49 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
If the board don’t get on with John Ryan, which I don’t know for certain, why don’t they change this and get him in to replace Blunt ,on the footballing side?.
John has a lot of experience and would take the pressure off the rest of the board.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 02, 2022, 11:47:18 pm by ChrisBx »
If the board don’t get on with John Ryan, which I don’t know for certain, why don’t they change this and get him in to replace Blunt ,on the footballing side?.
John has a lot of experience and would take the pressure off the rest of the board.

Football has moved on since John Ryan was successful with us. The less said about his later ideas the better.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 03, 2022, 12:16:01 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Football has moved on since John Ryan was successful with us. The less said about his later ideas the better.
I was totally against his latter ideas as well ,but the guy has done much more good for us than bad. The chairman role suits him, he creates interest in our club. The rest of the board seem to prefer working quietly on their jobs.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 03, 2022, 01:15:54 am by BobG »
Hmmm. Two powerful men. Two men accustomed to leading. Two different sets of ideas. Two armed camps amongst the supporters. Two power centres.... Not a good idea, really, don't you think...?

One or the other, ok. Both? Hmmm... That would end in a lot more tears than even today.

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 03, 2022, 01:54:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Maybe, just depends whether they could get over any difference’s for the good of the club. Since he left the club hasn’t been the same. You can work in different ways but both for the clubs good.
We definitely need someone who knows what they are doing on the football side of things.

None of them can please everybody all of the time. They make decisions for the good of the club.
We can’t afford to go down. Extra wages spent in the right way now, would allow the club to start recovering from its decline.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 03, 2022, 02:11:16 am by BobG »
I'm sorry Sammy. I don't understand. My understanding, belief, is that the 'football side' is led by and managed by football professionals. The business is run by  the Board. The Chairman is the guy responsible for the overall organisational objectives. The Chief Exec delivers the business management part of that and the football management team deliver the footy side of it.

I don't get what the point is in wanting someone on what we might call the 'company side' of the organisation to 'know what they are doing ' on the football side. Do you really want to create conflict even inside the club??? If you or I were manager of the 'football  side' just how do you think you or I would react to being advised, instructed or ordered by some interfering business person who ' knows what they are doing ' on the football side?

Two small words spring to mind Sammy. And one of them ends in 'Off'!

Cheers :)

BobG

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 03, 2022, 05:42:17 am by Danmckay456 »
One thing is for sure the head of recruitment needs to do his job and get some half decent players through the door , granted some of the players who we got in august might not have been due to him but I think we would genuinely struggle in league 2 with this squad.

I can’t fault the effort from some of the youngsters but come on they simply aren’t good enough along with the summer signings apart from possibly Olowu and one or two of the loanees.

And why did we give Taylor a new three contract with his injury problems last year  and close three years at this level it’s just farcical.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012