Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:13:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fitness coach  (Read 2114 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Fitness coach
« on January 03, 2022, 11:08:05 am by Filo »
Many have touched on the lack of fitness of the players, now I know Greeny is held in high regard, but should our fitness coach be part time which appears to be the case with him still playing for Boston? The appointment of him smacks of “jobs for the boys” and only Wellens can be blamed for that

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Fitness coach
« Reply #1 on January 03, 2022, 11:18:58 am by Padge_DRFC »
The fitness of this team is visible even without the injuries we are knackered by 70 minutes. I'd get them all running around Armthorpe pit top until they're throwing up.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 03, 2022, 11:29:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Never heard of a part time fitness coach, we are trend setters at our club.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 03, 2022, 11:31:04 am by GazLaz »
The whole fitness issue has spiralled out of control since the poor preparation in the summer and the knock on affects of the Covid isolations. It then becomes very difficult to get a full squad that is being hammered by injuries and short on bodies up to fitness during the season. You can’t dog a paper thin squad during the week when they are all needed on a Saturday. That’s why pre seasons are so important. Ours was a shambles.

Is Greeny part time? He’s at the training ground every day.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 03, 2022, 11:32:16 am by ditch_drfc »
Again, it's just another clear indication of the mess we're in. Every little detail is a contributing factor.

How can we have a fitness coach who is part time? It's just as integral as any other member of the coaching staff. I don't get the theory behind signing Green anyway. We've got an odd affiliation with ex players and we probably need to move forward as a club and stop hiring familiar names just because they've played for the club at some point in the last 30 years.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 03, 2022, 11:41:57 am by DRFCSouth »
The whole fitness & sports science approach seems to be failing.

The odd injury, fair enough, but to lose 3 in a match seems to smack of a deeper problem.

It has plagued us for a while. Maybe its an area that needs a lot of attention.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 03, 2022, 11:54:08 am by ditch_drfc »
The whole fitness & sports science approach seems to be failing.

The odd injury, fair enough, but to lose 3 in a match seems to smack of a deeper problem.

It has plagued us for a while. Maybe its an area that needs a lot of attention.

That's the thing isn't it, 3 in a game makes you think there's a deep rooted issue. Agreed that it's also an issue that's plagued us for a while. Something needs sorting. I honestly think they need to reassess all areas of coaching staff and the wider team.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 03, 2022, 11:55:40 am by Filo »
The whole fitness issue has spiralled out of control since the poor preparation in the summer and the knock on affects of the Covid isolations. It then becomes very difficult to get a full squad that is being hammered by injuries and short on bodies up to fitness during the season. You can’t dog a paper thin squad during the week when they are all needed on a Saturday. That’s why pre seasons are so important. Ours was a shambles.

Well he still plays for Boston so I would assume he’s part time, I have no idea if he is or not, so maybe my initial statement could be wrong

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 03, 2022, 11:59:04 am by EasyforDennis »
Does part time mean we only have to be fit for 70 minutes?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 03, 2022, 12:06:07 pm by roversdude »
But the 3 we lost yesterday
One was an impact injury
One after effects of covid
Only Bogle was a pull

Not defending the fitness regime by the way I’ve been highly critical of it this season

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 03, 2022, 12:09:45 pm by ditch_drfc »
If its after effects of Covid and he's not fit enough to play, what's he doing on the pitch?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 03, 2022, 12:10:48 pm by Janso »
Would Boston not be training in an evening if they're part time? if that's the case then he's only going to be missing on match days.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 03, 2022, 12:37:42 pm by graingrover »
We get lots of information about strategy ( community , financial stability ) but there is a pretty big change of management philosophy afoot just now .With the multiple responsibilities and activities that make up the footballing side of things we have talent spotting and selection new recruits , physical fitness , mental health , set piece coaching , goalkeeper coaching , coaching proper , and more .There are so many people involved but who actually pulls all this together and do they work together as a team .We have filled all the management positions now .What we all need now is a clear mission statement like we used to get from JR and not just about sustainability .
We have a vacuum at that level in terms of the football .I would have expected a Director of Football to speak to that particular issue but that idea has died a death as we now have a personal mentor to GM instead .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 03, 2022, 01:09:40 pm by River Don »
If its after effects of Covid and he's not fit enough to play, what's he doing on the pitch?

Lack of options.

A 90% fit player has to be better than the 100% fit alternatives.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 03, 2022, 01:28:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Nail on head. We don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 03, 2022, 01:40:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Greeny came in half way through the season when the ship has sailed for the fitness side of things really. Then it's about match recovery and conditioning. As Gaz says can't be really getting into them with gruelling sessions (which is whats needed) and then play twice a week.

Come preseason we need to be better. Not sure what Wellens and Hunt did with the lads but we are unfit in comparison to other teams and you do wonder how much that plays a part if everyone getting injured all the time

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 03, 2022, 01:46:56 pm by DearneValleyRover »
The fitness of our players isn’t something new it’s been going on for years. I look back to the Rotherham game a few years ago when Moore scored a late equaliser, that only happened because Rotherham were still running through brick walls in the 95th minute and we were knackered by the 79th. If we had that level of fitness we wouldn’t be in as big a mess as we currently are. One of the best investments we could make is in excellent strength and conditioning coach.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 03, 2022, 02:05:45 pm by danumdon »
The fitness of our players isn’t something new it’s been going on for years. I look back to the Rotherham game a few years ago when Moore scored a late equaliser, that only happened because Rotherham were still running through brick walls in the 95th minute and we were knackered by the 79th. If we had that level of fitness we wouldn’t be in as big a mess as we currently are. One of the best investments we could make is in excellent strength and conditioning coach.

Agree, this season is now a right off in the fitness department, Greeny for all his attributes has his hands full as it is. We need a proper pre season with all the squad buying into the effort, i would hope they are getting pre season plans ready for all the retained staff, they need to hit the new season running, something we haven't done for a long time. we've had players coming back overweight and nowhere near ready for the season ahead(one absentee striker comes to mind before other issues where raised)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 03, 2022, 04:55:31 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We've not had a fit And physical team since the Saunders/Flynn promotion season.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 03, 2022, 05:15:54 pm by ravenrover »
We drew that game because Marquis didn't put in row Z before they scored

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 03, 2022, 05:53:44 pm by swintonrover »
We need Mal Purchase back, Saunders appointing him was a masterstroke. We've never been as fit. Judging by his LinkedIn he works independently these days.

Either that or whatever made John Marquis not miss a game through injury in his entire time here.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 03, 2022, 06:00:05 pm by ditch_drfc »
Mal Purchase was fantastic and the last time I remember a squad with real fitness levels.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 03, 2022, 06:48:54 pm by streathamdave »
I agree with the Mal Purchase comments

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 03, 2022, 06:59:09 pm by RugbyRover »
Shouldn't be too hard to get hold of him, quick check and he's on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.   :)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 03, 2022, 07:36:35 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Shouldn't be too hard to get hold of him, quick check and he's on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.   :)

I'm sure he's at Mansfield now. He was anyway not sure if he's left since.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 03, 2022, 08:37:09 pm by DearneValleyRover »
We drew that game because Marquis didn't put in row Z before they scored

If we’d been fitter we might have put the game to bed without having to put it in row z

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 03, 2022, 11:06:19 pm by GazLaz »
The Mal Purchase thing is a bit of a hyped up myth based on a very small sample size in my opinion. We had a good relatively injury free season, luck plays a massive part in that though. 

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 03, 2022, 11:14:44 pm by The Beast »
The fitness of this team is visible even without the injuries we are knackered by 70 minutes. I'd get them all running around Armthorpe pit top until they're throwing up.

Brings back memories ! :crying:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 04, 2022, 01:46:03 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The team Saunders built was more robust and less susceptible to injuries than our squads since. Purchase got some of the credit which he deserved but maybe not all the credit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012