Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:37:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ITEN: Rovers Failings Laid Bare in Coppinger Hire  (Read 2460 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
ITEN: Rovers Failings Laid Bare in Coppinger Hire
« on April 22, 2022, 04:18:57 pm by RoversAlias »
Hi folks,

Yes the club have jolted me back into life with their infuriating decision-making and ill-judged attempts to get us back on side.

I have written a piece this afternoon discussing today's news about James Coppinger being hired as Head of Football Operations. Hopefully I have been able to sum up my concerns in a reasonable manner! Make no mistake, I'd love nothing more than for Copps to turn it all around in this role and prove a great success, but I have major doubts and feel that even if he does, it likely won't be because the hierarchy could actually see that happening when they decided to put him in position.

You can check out the article here: https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/rovers-failings-laid-bare-in-coppinger-hire

Please let me know your thoughts on the topics discussed within, are you for or against? Are these issues genuine concerns for you or do you think this is finally a step in the right direction?

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
Re: ITEN: Rovers Failings Laid Bare in Coppinger Hire
« Reply #1 on April 22, 2022, 04:29:23 pm by EasyforDennis »
excellent post. I agree with every word.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 22, 2022, 04:34:10 pm by Michael Shaw »
I keep hearing the expression Netto shopping and have never used it myself, but it is clear that is exactly what we have. A board with no ambition and not prepared to spend any money in any area of the club. A manager who has no idea how to manage, players who aren't fit to wear the DRFC shirt, and now a DOF,  what what positive thing can I say. Nothing, nothing, nothing about this club fills me with any positivity whatsoever.
We will have a nicey-nicey club wallowing in the 4th tier of English football for many years to come.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 22, 2022, 05:21:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
Good post Alias and very good read of the article. Agree with every word.

We still wait from In order Bramall, Blunt and Baldwin to admit their responsibility starting January 2021 through to now their failings to allow a club that was pushing for promotion to now relegation.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2022, 05:36:24 pm by roversdude »
Well written piece, my only disagreement is the more I think about the more I think it could actually be a decent appointment. Copps obviously has some back bone and will be keen to shake things up

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 22, 2022, 05:38:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hi folks,

Yes the club have jolted me back into life with their infuriating decision-making and ill-judged attempts to get us back on side.

I have written a piece this afternoon discussing today's news about James Coppinger being hired as Head of Football Operations. Hopefully I have been able to sum up my concerns in a reasonable manner! Make no mistake, I'd love nothing more than for Copps to turn it all around in this role and prove a great success, but I have major doubts and feel that even if he does, it likely won't be because the hierarchy could actually see that happening when they decided to put him in position.

You can check out the article here: https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/rovers-failings-laid-bare-in-coppinger-hire

Please let me know your thoughts on the topics discussed within, are you for or against? Are these issues genuine concerns for you or do you think this is finally a step in the right direction?

I'm sorry. I Don't share the same view and don't believe you have the knowledge and experience to use such strong words to express why you think a man of Coppingers experience in football and his desire to take on the role is the wrong for him and the wrong appointment by the  club.

Unless you are fortunate enough to speak to Copps and give him the opportunity to address the concerns, that others share too,  in detail, then you're not being open minded enough and grossly unfair in your assessment.

I would like to hear more from Copps and his opinion on what needs to be changed and how he intends to go about it. Until then, I'll reserve judgement.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 22, 2022, 05:48:53 pm by normal rules »
But here’s the thing.
I cannot see Copps coming out and openly discussing the failing he perceives at the club at the moment.
He talks about being at the club for the good and the bad.
There is something inextricably bad running through the veins of drfc at the moment.
I’d like to see him identify this, if he has already done so, speak openly about what it is he perceives is wrong, and then Do something about it.
Assess, identity, rectify. And be open, honest and transparent with the fans. Re connect with them.
But I fear there will be some Johnson esque  bluster around the whole thing and he will blunder through a  Few years of tenure with little or nothing changing.
To effect real change at the club means a few people are going to have to be given some very straight talk about how they are failing the club and shown the door.
Starting with the shambles that is player recruitment .
I’m unsure he will orchestrate this.
I’ll judge him on the next few seasons and how he and the club re connect with the supporters.

And let’s not Forget , for all the talk about being fully committed to this new role, there will be a big fat pay cheque attached to it, which would have been a motivational factor. Probably much more than he is on at the moment. I wonder if it has a failure clause in it ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 05:52:08 pm by normal rules »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 22, 2022, 05:53:27 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
A good write up of the situation, I don’t think anybody who doubts this appointment does it out of malice towards, Coppinger.
There isn’t a more well thought of ex player. The doubts we have are that he isn’t qualified to do the job. That if things go wrong he then becomes the scapegoat, which I wouldn’t like to see.

I don’t know what help and advice he can give the manager, he hasn’t been one himself.
Having said that I would rather have had Coppinger as manager with an experienced ex manager above him.
Could this be a case of McSheffrey being given a few months then Coppinger takes over his role?.

If you are promoting from inside, Tony Cook or Steve Eyre would have fit this role better.
Having said all that I hope Coppinger makes a success of the role. It won’t be for the want of trying if he doesn’t.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 22, 2022, 06:34:45 pm by PDX_Rover »
A well-written piece as usual. But I firmly believe that Copps has the mettle and will not fear making changes. You only have to listen to the guy on commentary and speak to him outside of Rovers to know that he's clearly biting his tongue because he's on commentary. I have complete faith in the man. He's not daft. He knows that you don't take the decision to risk your legacy if you don't have complete belief in your ability to do the job. In a way, it's perfect for him - he has more experience at the club than anybody at the club. It's in his blood, this club. He turned his own life around and he's a winner. He will have the space and remit to put a vision into action and the absolute full backing of the board 100%.

Yes, a fresh pair of eyes might have been a good thing. But a pair of eyes that already knows in depth what's wrong and what needs doing, AND has the drive and passion to succeed, to me, is a much better thing. He won't accept complacency.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 22, 2022, 07:12:12 pm by Upton Rover »
Totally agree the club is in a utter mess, the hole seems to be getting deeper and deeper

redordead

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2022, 07:24:24 pm by redordead »

Re: Copps confirmed as Head of Football Operations
« Reply #60 on Today at 06:39:38 pm by redordead »
(3 people liked this) QuoteModifyRemove
I have lost count of the interviews that I have had to sit through for senior positions where candidates present various qualifications and testimony of experience. I can count on one hand the number of these candidates that were employed. The successful candidates demonstrated a passion for the position on offer along with a rationale of how it would be achieved.
James has a passion for football ,he is intelligent and capable of succeeding in business, James has succeeded in football and business acumen in his 41 years on this planet.  I am not a great fan of criticism or contradicting individuals capacities of doing a good job without being witness to the individuals results in the job. JC has knowledge of the club, football tactics, fitness and diet, contracts negotiating and has set up a number of successful companies.
So before handing down any question of not being suitable for the post of HoF at DRFC I will listen to his rationale and plan for taking DRFC forward before sitting in judgement. All I would add is knowing JC as I do he would not taking the job on unless he felt that he would be successful and he would put the same commitment to HoF as he did as a player.
Modify message
Report to moderator   

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2022, 07:26:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The last three posters are posing the right sort of questions.

Not sure if it's feasible but I wonder if Copps would be open to a Q&A session although I suspect the DFP will be thinking about something similar.

A face to face session with a small group would be better perhaps. Something so Copps would feel more comfortable responding candidly to good probing questions about the role, him in the role, what he wants to achieve and how should he be judged?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 22, 2022, 08:24:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
Excellent piece, Alias. No need for further comment.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 22, 2022, 09:05:44 pm by BradwellRover »
Hi folks,

I'm sorry. I Don't share the same view and don't believe you have the knowledge and experience to use such strong words to express why you think a man of Coppingers experience in football and his desire to take on the role is the wrong for him and the wrong appointment by the  club.

Unless you are fortunate enough to speak to Copps and give him the opportunity to address the concerns, that others share too,  in detail, then you're not being open minded enough and grossly unfair in your assessment.

I would like to hear more from Copps and his opinion on what needs to be changed and how he intends to go about it. Until then, I'll reserve judgement.

I’m sorry, I don’t share the same view as you. But I don’t feel the need to be condescending…

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 22, 2022, 10:27:43 pm by pib »
I think a lot of us were hoping for a fresh pair of eyes that might upset the Apple cart a bit and give the club a bit of a jolt.

Not ruling out Copps being that man, but I understand the frustration.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 23, 2022, 12:40:59 am by Plumbster »
I fully agreed with the sleepwalking piece of 12 months ago but I don’t agree with this which IMO is full of cheap shots with no real substance.  This is different to the situation 12 months ago when the risk that we were going to sink further was clear to anyone close to the club.  It may not be obvious but I think we have already started to turn this around, the DoF role is an example of this, and to dismiss Copps as a credible candidate is disrespectful to him, and overestimates the calibre of candidate that a fourth tier club can attract.  I may be proved completely wrong but I think Copps will play a pivotal role in the resurrection of the club we love.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 23, 2022, 02:21:06 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hi folks,

I’m sorry, I don’t share the same view as you. But I don’t feel the need to be condescending…

Fair comment but quite ironic considering Alias' judgemental comments in the article.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 23, 2022, 01:35:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks to all who have read and commented so far, some really solid points and counter-points to my own opinion (and that's all it is, a considered opinion) both here and on social media.

I completely refute the notion that I have been "judgemental" in the article however, and I certainly haven't taken "cheap shots" against Coppinger or anyone else. I decided to re-read the article this morning after seeing those comments in case I did let emotion rule in any part of the piece, and I simply do not accept that I have been.

What I have done is state my opinion based on the events and facts that we have in front of us throughout the whole sorry season. I've also made it clear that I'm not doubting Coppinger as an individual or his desire to succeed, simply that the appointment speaks to some big mistakes that the board have made on several occasions now with the end result being the team failing miserably and getting relegated.

I certainly don't expect or need people to agree with me, and knew such a piece would cause divided debate - my article asking if the club were sleepwalking into League Two back in September had that effect and time told us what the answer was, just as time will tell us now. I sincerely hope Copps succeeds and leads us out of the mire, but there is a reason why many supporters have expressed concern or cynicism around the appointment.

A well-written piece as usual. But I firmly believe that Copps has the mettle and will not fear making changes. You only have to listen to the guy on commentary and speak to him outside of Rovers to know that he's clearly biting his tongue because he's on commentary. I have complete faith in the man. He's not daft. He knows that you don't take the decision to risk your legacy if you don't have complete belief in your ability to do the job. In a way, it's perfect for him - he has more experience at the club than anybody at the club. It's in his blood, this club. He turned his own life around and he's a winner. He will have the space and remit to put a vision into action and the absolute full backing of the board 100%.

Yes, a fresh pair of eyes might have been a good thing. But a pair of eyes that already knows in depth what's wrong and what needs doing, AND has the drive and passion to succeed, to me, is a much better thing. He won't accept complacency.

One thing that had been bandied around by some that I absolutely disagree with is that Copps may just be a "Yes Man" or someone not strong-minded enough to enact change. I think we have seen from him over many years that he has no qualms with making his feelings known on a situation, even with those he is colleagues or friends with, and I'm quite certain that he will take the steps he feels are needed (within his remit of course) to get Rovers back on track.

So on that front I am with you there PDX, I have faith in Copps to do his best for the role and the club. It is more the fact that the club themselves seem to think they have solved everything when they maybe just hire a certain person and tout their passion, enthusiasm or desire. It didn't work out with Wellens nor is it working with McSheffrey. I think the board have gotten a little lucky in a sense with how well McCann and to a lesser extent Moore did for a while. Good that they identified them as the stand-out candidates at the time they were hired, but beyond that the infrastructure never appears to have been set up for true success, sustained over longer than a short period. That needs to change right here and now with Coppinger's hire and the support for him and the manager, who I suppose will be McSheffrey for the time being at least.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 23, 2022, 06:52:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Glad you've responded with some valid balanced points.

I'm sure we're not poles apart and can at least have some healthy debate about all things DRFC, particularly at this time when things can go either way.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 23, 2022, 06:57:13 pm by RoversAlias »
I certainly hope so too Baz, tis largely why I write this stuff to be honest - to create debate and mull over the club's fortunes with supporters.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 23, 2022, 07:06:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Totally agree the club is in a utter mess, the hole seems to be getting deeper and deeper
On what basis is the hole getting bigger and deeper. Please explain how you justify that statement.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 23, 2022, 07:10:56 pm by BradwellRover »
Hi folks,

Fair comment but quite ironic considering Alias' judgemental comments in the article.

I was not being ironic, I was being specific.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 23, 2022, 11:24:43 pm by phil old leake »
Alias I’ve not read your link but have similar feelings. I think Copps could live to regret taking this role. If he fails miserably his legacy will be this failure

I’ve mentioned this on another thread. I think it’s really short sighted by the club and him

I think he’s had some input into the last round of transfers and that hasn’t actually been a great successs

I do hope he does a great job and he helps the club succeed

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 24, 2022, 12:05:58 am by acacia94 »
Copps is lovely and great but its not what this club needs right now. It needs fundamental change. New ideas organisational change top to bottom. Its a comfy organisation thats got stale and believes in its own smug 'we're a well run club' ethos. Weve been failing for a while now. It needs an injection of new personalities and a more dynamic brave direction from the board.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 24, 2022, 01:08:18 am by Goole Rover »
Copps is lovely and great but its not what this club needs right now. It needs fundamental change. New ideas organisational change top to bottom. Its a comfy organisation thats got stale and believes in its own smug 'we're a well run club' ethos. Weve been failing for a while now. It needs an injection of new personalities and a more dynamic brave direction from the board.
It’s all well and good saying what’s needed but getting the right people to do it is very difficult and let’s be honest we don’t know what’s going on back stage. Just be thankful that we’ve have Mr Bramall.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 24, 2022, 04:35:12 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I think that the article brings together most of the points on here that were made against Copps potential appointment.

To give top-billing in announcing it to his unrivalled knowledge of the club the Chairman made himself an easy target and putting the emphasis on this was ill-judged. Clearly it implies that this aspect of qualification was very prominent and drawing attention to it emphasises the probability of them giving it undue weight when it really should not have come into consideration at all.

Obviously, anyone taking this job needs to know how things are organised now to examine why it hasn’t worked and doing so entirely without prejudice which, again is not easy for an insider.  Can you confidently re engineer procedures and organisation  without some experience of what works elsewhere though?

If he does succeed it will be greatly against the odds and if he fails he will not be easily forgiven

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 24, 2022, 06:21:48 pm by essexrover »
Rovers Alias, thanks for the article. It was a great read & you're spot on in my humble opinion.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 25, 2022, 01:28:50 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Coppinger could come out and say he’s going to do this, that and the other. It’s not what he says he’s going to do it’s the actions I’m interested in. We’ve heard talk before, actions speak louder.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 25, 2022, 01:42:51 pm by Campsall rover »
Did some of you actually listen to what JC said in his interview?

Give the guy a chance for heaven sake. He is condemned before he has started.
Well it actually looks as though he has already started.
Younger has gone already. So that didn’t take long.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012