Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:26:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Memorable Opening Day Away Days  (Read 1864 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Memorable Opening Day Away Days
« on July 26, 2022, 11:01:14 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure there's plenty of you out there with good and bad memories of our opening day away days over the years.

The easiest ones to remember of course are the winning starts.

Two obvious ones will be Leyton Orient and Derby County.

For me, I don't think I'll surpass that day at Derby in my lifetime. Could we complete at Championship level? Can our brand of football stand up to the big boys? How would our players cope with the big stadiums?

I was quite late getting a ticket for the game, so my seat was 2 rows back from the front. Not ideal from a viewing perspective.

It wasn't long though before I felt the full force on all those Rovers voices behind me, all singing in unity. It really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

When Lewis Guy got the faintest touch to score, there was that smallest of delays before the whole stand erupted which nearly blew me into the pitch. I don't think I'll ever hear noise like that again but what an experience!

What are your memories of opening day adventures?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Memorable Opening Day Away Days
« Reply #1 on July 26, 2022, 11:10:18 am by Ldr »
Dover away 1st season in conference. We lost but was overjoyed we still had a club and Richardson had gone

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 26, 2022, 11:14:50 am by mugnapper »
Hartlepool 3 Doncaster Rovers 4.
3-1 down at HT
1978/79.
The locals weren't happy, but we were!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:18:35 am by mugnapper »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 26, 2022, 11:17:56 am by Janso »
Walsall away 2012, not really sure what to expect. Scored one from half way. Never seen that in the flesh before, and the closest since was the Harry Forrester debacle.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 26, 2022, 11:21:16 am by Bentley Bullet »
Away at Peterborough on the opening day of the season in the '60s. We had just been promoted. Rovers fans were on the pitch and swinging on the crossbar prior to kick-off. Peterborough's John Wile scored an early own goal. Rovers went 3-1 up before Peterborough pulled two goals back to end the game at 3-3.

I remember feeling very nervous before the game, thinking we might be out of our depth in the dizzy heights of the 3rd division, but in the end, getting only a point was disappointing.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 26, 2022, 11:47:37 am by Donnywolf »
I'm sure there's plenty of you out there with good and bad memories of our opening day away days over the years.

The easiest ones to remember of course are the winning starts.

Two obvious ones will be Leyton Orient and Derby County.

For me, I don't think I'll surpass that day at Derby in my lifetime. Could we complete at Championship level? Can our brand of football stand up to the big boys? How would our players cope with the big stadiums?

I was quite late getting a ticket for the game, so my seat was 2 rows back from the front. Not ideal from a viewing perspective.

It wasn't long though before I felt the full force on all those Rovers voices behind me, all singing in unity. It really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

When Lewis Guy got the faintest touch to score, there was that smallest of delays before the whole stand erupted which nearly blew me into the pitch. I don't think I'll ever hear noise like that again but what an experience!

What are your memories of opening day adventures?

Memorable for all those reasons for sure

I still think of that game though and think of the Paul Green welcome and general "worship" and of course the Red and White balloons and the 10% or so Green ones were really "touching" for me. Said it before on here big up to whoever proposed that

Peterborough exactly what BB said ! I was just going to write about that but saw he had beaten me to it. Only the Bar he hasnt beaten me to now  ;)

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 26, 2022, 12:24:09 pm by ctay »
Carlisle away, 3-2 win back in the 90's. Rovers fans going mad singing jingle bells.... great day. I think this was the Dave Jones, Jonny Muir, Kev Noteman era. We wore a nice green away kit that day :whistle:

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 26, 2022, 12:39:44 pm by ditch_drfc »
Really enjoyed Southend away a few years ago. Trip to the seaside with decent weather. Start of a new era under McCann, and after watching half an hour of Wilks messing around in their box you just knew we were in for an entertaining season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 26, 2022, 12:40:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
Dover away 1st season in conference. We lost but was overjoyed we still had a club and Richardson had gone

That was absolute chaos. Think their keeper got assaulted.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 26, 2022, 12:59:01 pm by adamtherover »
Really enjoyed Southend away a few years ago. Trip to the seaside with decent weather. Start of a new era under McCann, and after watching half an hour of Wilks messing around in their box you just knew we were in for an entertaining season.
just about to put the same.....

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 26, 2022, 01:32:49 pm by Prez »
Chester away won 1-0 around 1993. Think it was David Moss with a great goal

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 26, 2022, 02:18:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
Great day at Orient, with big LFW having a great day. Boy, was it hot on that terracing!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 26, 2022, 03:58:50 pm by drfchound »
Away at Peterborough on the opening day of the season in the '60s. We had just been promoted. Rovers fans were on the pitch and swinging on the crossbar prior to kick-off. Peterborough's John Wile scored an early own goal. Rovers went 3-1 up before Peterborough pulled two goals back to end the game at 3-3.

I remember feeling very nervous before the game, thinking we might be out of our depth in the dizzy heights of the 3rd division, but in the end, getting only a point was disappointing.

BB, this brought back many happy memories for me.
At 13 it was my first away game without an adult.
I went on a supporters coach from Moorends and it felt as thought I had travelled the length of the country.
I found out a few years later that my dad had asked his mates from the pit to look out for me.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 26, 2022, 04:08:20 pm by Campsall rover »
We haven’t had a memorable away day for the 1st game of the season for some time now.
Last one that stands out was at Preston which we won in the Championship.

Think the Derby County game has to go down as the best, although that day in scorching temperatures at Leyton Orient will live long in the memory.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 26, 2022, 05:03:19 pm by NickDRFC »
We haven’t had a memorable away day for the 1st game of the season for some time now.

Think the Derby County game has to go down as the best, although that day in scorching temperatures at Leyton Orient will live long in the memory.

This was a good one and a lot more recent than Preston.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 26, 2022, 05:04:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

But in absolute despair at the behaviour of our 'fans'.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 26, 2022, 05:10:26 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Orient away has to be my favourite, was a belting day in the capital topped off with a great win and just set the season on its way perfectly.

Southend away also came as a welcomed shock and another enjoyable season followed.

Let’s hope this season follows suit!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 26, 2022, 05:52:46 pm by scawsby steve »

Seems you beat quite a few of us that were going to post about this one, BB. However, me being the smartarse that I am, I'll give you the Rovers scorers.

The first, as you correctly said, was an OG from Posh. The second was a diving header from Alick. At HT it was 2-1 to us.

Then came the famous incident when the entire contingent of Rovers fans walked the full length of the pitch to change ends. At the beginning of the second half, Alick put in a perfect cross from the left for Laurie Sheffield to score with a low header.

At 3-1 up, we thought we had it nailed, but Posh scored 2 late goals to force a 3-3 draw.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 26, 2022, 06:07:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Seems you beat quite a few of us that were going to post about this one, BB. However, me being the smartarse that I am, I'll give you the Rovers scorers.

The first, as you correctly said, was an OG from Posh. The second was a diving header from Alick. At HT it was 2-1 to us.

Then came the famous incident when the entire contingent of Rovers fans walked the full length of the pitch to change ends. At the beginning of the second half, Alick put in a perfect cross from the left for Laurie Sheffield to score with a low header.

At 3-1 up, we thought we had it nailed, but Posh scored 2 late goals to force a 3-3 draw.
Cheers for that SS. I missed quite a lot of the action because I spent most of the time trying not to get thrown out of my pram by the delirious Rovers contingent.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 26, 2022, 06:17:11 pm by Campsall rover »

This was a good one and a lot more recent than Preston. I had forgotten.  ;)
Your right the Southend game was only 4 yrs ago in 2018.  Yes that was a good one 3-0 I think.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 26, 2022, 06:38:09 pm by scawsby steve »

This was a good one and a lot more recent than Preston. I had forgotten.  ;)
Your right the Southend game was only 4 yrs ago in 2018.  Yes that was a good one 3-0 I think.

3-2. We had been 3-0 up, but late goals from Tom Hopper and, would you believe it, Theo Robinson, almost gave Southend a point.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 26, 2022, 07:05:26 pm by RoversAlias »
All three Donny goals came in front of our fans too, right? Southend was bloody tropical that day.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 26, 2022, 07:34:01 pm by Branton Rover »
I didn’t go but listened to Radio Sheffield reporter won 3-2 away at Newport County 1983/4 season think Mickey Nesbitt scored twice with Douggy getting the other.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 26, 2022, 07:38:40 pm by IDM »
I haven’t been to very many away opening days so for me it has to be Derby..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 26, 2022, 09:40:08 pm by Donnywolf »
My mate the Terriers chief Scout used to take me to games when we were in same Division as them if he was spying on their upcoming opposition

Bristol City was first away game one Season and looking at fixtures Udders played them quite early on . I got the call and went as Ashton Gate was a new Ground for me. Traffic was murder but we made Strensham Services in a decent time. Then wham gridlock. We diverted off M5 into Bristol .... Big mistake and it took us ages to make the Ground

I said surely they will delay ko ... There must be hundreds or thousands stuck .... the Radio said at 3, over to Ashton Gate and the Reporter said well here we go the season is underway.

I got in the Ground to see 4th official holding up the 1 minutes added time board up for HT

On the way home Jacko rang my mate and he gave him chapter and verse of everything. When they finished the call I said I notice you didn't tell him we only saw 2nd half ... No need to tell him everything he said

That's an opening day game that still irks me.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 26, 2022, 09:44:13 pm by GazLaz »
I remember sleeping on the platform at Derby station then getting a taxi home at about 7 on Sunday morning.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 27, 2022, 07:11:02 am by rich1471 »
It was memorable because we could have been 3/4 down at half time ,but what a second half and a great season we had

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 27, 2022, 12:21:13 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

My Dad, Uncles and their mates would wax lyrical about this game for years! Apparently, Peterborough were awarded a penalty during the game. Whilst the boro player waited to take the kick, Alick Jeffery walked up to the Rovers keeper (Fred Potter?) and whispered in his ear, before slowly walking away. Mind games done, the Peterborough player blasted the ball over the cross bar! This is fairly common now, but in 1966 it was unheard of and so unusual that it was mentioned on Grandstand!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 27, 2022, 04:24:15 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes ... Thanks for that HA .... Had forgotten that entirely

TinyPortal © 2005-2012