Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 01:57:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Should the season finish now (CORONAVIRUS thread)  (Read 12176 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Should the season finish now (CORONAVIRUS thread)
« on March 03, 2020, 08:34:03 am by since-1969 »
and take a moral stance to avoid a catastrophic out break of the CORONAVIRUS .

Reducing the overall congregation of people now may help save many lives . The F.A. etc have to take the world wide outbreak of this unpredictable virus that could stretch into next winter more seriously  if the infection rate can’t be contained . Football supporters are particularly at risk as many are elderly and this particular group is most susceptible. Italy Ireland etc have made a stance but closing the season now will not be liked by all but it could guarantee that the sport survives for next season .   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:09:44 pm by Forum Admin »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Should the season finish now
« Reply #1 on March 03, 2020, 09:05:08 am by IDM »
Italy Ireland is off because as far as I can tell the main region for Italian rugby is in the north of the country (might be wrong) so supporters may have travelled from infected areas.

I don’t think we should lock down, yet.  Worst case is some fixtures being played behind closed doors.. perhaps.?

Edit - I just read that the Ireland vs Italy 6 nations fixture is off at the behest of the Irish government.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:13:31 pm by IDM »

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 03, 2020, 09:06:11 am by phil old leake »
Why don’t we all just not go out ever again. Have no relationships or meet friends in case they might breath germs near us
On the basis of this all factories, office blocks and shopping centres should close and no one should use any public transport I’m sorry but this is a suggestion of total overkill
Most people become poorly. I agree that the elderly and poorly could potentially be at risk   
At the end of the day they are adults with minds of their own
Please keep things in perspective until we really do have a major problem
Every day throughout the world mosquitoes kill more people than corona virus

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 03, 2020, 09:08:41 am by DaveDRFC »
Currently less than 0.00006% of the UK population have contracted the virus. Forgive me for not being overly worried just yet.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 03, 2020, 09:42:19 am by since-1969 »
Currently less than 0.00006% of the UK population have contracted the virus. Forgive me for not being overly worried just yet.
If you catch it will you just want to be the 0.00007% or an  elderly relative who caught it from you ?  . Ostrich heads like most fans can’t except that IT IS COMING and the closure of Cinemas , Racing Tracks and Football Stadiums will be closed until ‘further notice’. All I’m saying is act sooner and reduce that possibility of it being indefinitely!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 03, 2020, 09:48:02 am by sha66y »
As this was part of a controlled experiment to eradicate the common cold, but managed to mutate...and GET OUT!

I’d say we will be a few billion down by 2025, and the apocalypse will have begun...

Or not!

So play all the games whilst we can....

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 03, 2020, 09:50:44 am by since-1969 »
As this was part of a controlled experiment to eradicate the common cold, but managed to mutate...and GET OUT!

I’d say we will be a few billion down by 2025, and the apocalypse will have begun...

Or not!

behind closed doors ?

“The Football Association is holding internal discussions at Wembley to discuss the implications of coronavirus.
Events across the sporting landscape have been effected by the outbreak, with Italian authorities putting restrictions in place in an attempt to stop the spread of the disease. Euro 2020 is almost certainly going to be another topic of discussion, but the main focus is on March as the tournament is then the jurisdiction of Uefa and the relevant authorities.”
Press association!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 03, 2020, 09:52:14 am by sha66y »

Can I just say that you got them figures from the government.....nobody actually knows the true numbers, and nobody is actually telling us how this happened!

Don’t listen to statistics ..... listen to the mood of the nations infected and what they are putting in place ..... others countries are worried....very worried indeed

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 03, 2020, 09:54:36 am by sha66y »

Or not!

behind closed doors ?

“The Football Association is holding internal discussions at Wembley to discuss the implications of coronavirus.
Events across the sporting landscape have been effected by the outbreak, with Italian authorities putting restrictions in place in an attempt to stop the spread of the disease. Euro 2020 is almost certainly going to be another topic of discussion, but the main focus is on March as the tournament is then the jurisdiction of Uefa and the relevant authorities.”
Press association!

The only authority being listened to is the W.H.O , they will be the ones giving approvals not any footballing organisation.....

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 03, 2020, 09:57:29 am by IDM »

Or not!

behind closed doors ?

Press association!

Your post questions behind closed doors then says nowt more about that point.?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 03, 2020, 10:11:21 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Reducing the overall congregation of people now may help save many lives . The F.A. etc have to take the world wide outbreak of this unpredictable virus that could stretch into next winter more seriously  if the infection rate can’t be contained . Football supporters are particularly at risk as many are elderly and this particular group is most susceptible. Italy Ireland etc have made a stance but closing the season now will not be liked by all but it could guarantee that the sport survives for next season .   

If people are worried, they shouldn't go to football matches.

Aisley Drfc Leeman

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 03, 2020, 10:27:14 am by Aisley Drfc Leeman »

This !
Allow the public to asses and make their own decisions based on their own worries.
End of the day, if the virus is built to spread...it's going to spread.  Closing stadiums and postponing large events will only act to slow the inevitable IMO.  Besides, with symptoms taking a couple of weeks to show, by the time Jeff and the boys sit down next Saturday at 3pm, it will probably be too late in certain grounds in the UK...

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 03, 2020, 10:27:31 am by Copps is Magic »
You can understand some people's worries. I would take an educated guess one of the largest demographic of posters on here is males over 50, and that is the biggest at risk group in terms of this virus. The answer is at the moment seems to me to be wait and see what happens. We are not Italy (currently). If we reach the levels of Northern Italy then I would expect some action to be taken. But its really striking how most of the cases elsewhere in Europe seem to be linked to Northern Italy. Here in the Netherlands, there is 18 identified cases, and the public health authority has said that most (if not all) are linked to people travelling back from Italy. So, there is currently two open questions 1) can other European countries contain these isolated cases from Italy 2) how is the number of cases progressing in Italy. For question one, I don't think we should cancel sports events at this stage - isolated cases are being identified and contained fairly well. In terms of question 2, there is a report today that the number of new cases in Italy is slowing, so we will see.

If it isn't contained, then the public needs to have a broader conversation with itself about what it sacrificies and how much this thing impinges on our everday lives. For me, it can't at all. Life has to go on. Look at past famines in human history, caused by stupid human actions and panic rather than a lack of food.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 03, 2020, 10:36:03 am by phil old leake »
I suppose closing the season down would be 1 way of keeping Liverpool’s name off the premiership trophy. 

graingrover

• VSC Member

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 03, 2020, 11:56:20 am by ravenrover »
There would be more legal challenges issued if they closed the season down. Those that would have won promotion being the 1st but they would be in the queue behind Liverpool. What about the teams playing for European places next season? It would be the biggest can of worms that has ever been opened in English football history JMHO

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 03, 2020, 12:46:15 pm by adamtherover »

i think theres 39 cases in the UK, no deaths...  out of 60 million people!!!  Some would say you are being a tad over dramatic!!!!

When and IF figures increase, then it may be time to address matters.   Where do we draw the line tho, public transport banned, work environments banned?, everyone living and sleeping in seperate rooms???

At some stage we really do just have to get on with it, be vigilant, and take any necessary precautions!

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 03, 2020, 12:50:13 pm by adamtherover »
If you catch it will you just want to be the 0.00007% or an  elderly relative who caught it from you ?  . Ostrich heads like most fans can’t except that IT IS COMING and the closure of Cinemas , Racing Tracks and Football Stadiums will be closed until ‘further notice’. All I’m saying is act sooner and reduce that possibility of it being indefinitely!

Ok, mr 1969,  serious question, and i want you to answer honestly....     many  people without question are gonna die on the UK roads this week.  You know this, yet i suspect that you travel by car regularly.  Its a much more curently dangerous situation than Covid 19 in the UK.  Have you considered ever refusing to travel by car to save your life????.  of course you havnt..,  why??? because the risks are very low!!  THE END.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 03, 2020, 01:00:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Ok, mr 1969,  serious question, and i want you to answer honestly....     many  people without question are gonna die on the UK roads this week.  You know this, yet i suspect that you travel by car regularly.  Its a much more curently dangerous situation than Covid 19 in the UK.  Have you considered ever refusing to travel by car to save your life????.  of course you havnt..,  why??? because the risks are very low!!  THE END.

But it's not about what the immediate threat is. The number of people who will die from this is about two things from here.

1) How many people are going to get infected. Answer. Almost certainly a lot. A Professor of epidemiology from Imperial College suggested a couple of weeks ago that, if it takes hold, he'd expect 35-45million in the UK to get it.

2) How rapidly it spreads. That's the key. If it spreads very quickly, it will overwhelm the NHS and a lot more people will die from it as a result. If the spread is slower, there'll be fewer people infected at any one time and there's more chance of the NHS coping.

The rate at which it spreads CAN be controlled by reducing social contact. So I don't think 1969's suggestion should be dismissed out of hand.

Put it another way, if this gets very bad, there could be 1million of us dead by Xmas. I think folk might look back in those circumstances and be a bit pissed off at blasé attitudes in March.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 03, 2020, 01:06:18 pm by since-1969 »

In 1918 40m died when they had no protection against a similar virus and it started with 1  , ever since then civilised world has embarked on virus protection .. today the is NO anti viral on Covid19 and by the time they find on it is likely to have mutated again and leave many millions dead . The END!!

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 03, 2020, 01:08:21 pm by podrover73 »
Should this be in off topic Mr mainwaring

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 03, 2020, 01:23:34 pm by DaveDRFC »

But it's not about what the immediate threat is. The number of people who will die from this is about two things from here.

1) How many people are going to get infected. Answer. Almost certainly a lot. A Professor of epidemiology from Imperial College suggested a couple of weeks ago that, if it takes hold, he'd expect 35-45million in the UK to get it.

2) How rapidly it spreads. That's the key. If it spreads very quickly, it will overwhelm the NHS and a lot more people will die from it as a result. If the spread is slower, there'll be fewer people infected at any one time and there's more chance of the NHS coping.

The rate at which it spreads CAN be controlled by reducing social contact. So I don't think 1969's suggestion should be dismissed out of hand.

Put it another way, if this gets very bad, there could be 1million of us dead by Xmas. I think folk might look back in those circumstances and be a bit pissed off at blasé attitudes in March.

Only just over 3,000 people have died from this in China (a country of over 1.4 billion people) in the last 3 months. If we had a similar percentage of deaths to population that is around 130. Maybe I might regret my attitude towards this but at the current time I am just getting on with things!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 03, 2020, 01:30:02 pm by phil old leake »
Absolutely correct.   

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 03, 2020, 01:36:54 pm by since-1969 »
Should this be in off topic Mr mainwaring
Ostrich !

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 03, 2020, 01:50:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Only just over 3,000 people have died from this in China (a country of over 1.4 billion people) in the last 3 months. If we had a similar percentage of deaths to population that is around 130. Maybe I might regret my attitude towards this but at the current time I am just getting on with things!

That's because they effectively shut down the country. They banned people from leaving their houses.

That is simply not going to happen in the West. So we are far more vulnerable to wide spread of the virus. Like I say, a Professor of epidemiology at one of the leading universities in the world has said he expects 60-70% of us in the UK to get infected if we don't contain it. That's somewhere North of 40million of us. And the expected death rate is 1-2%. That's something like 0.5-1 million. If it isn't contained.

You HAVE to treat this seriously. It's by far the most serious immediate national threat we have faced since WWII. None of us are really ready for the changes of lifestyle that are coming if the 50-odd cases we currently have start to grow quickly.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 03, 2020, 02:24:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

This !
Allow the public to asses and make their own decisions based on their own worries.
End of the day, if the virus is built to spread...it's going to spread.  Closing stadiums and postponing large events will only act to slow the inevitable IMO.  Besides, with symptoms taking a couple of weeks to show, by the time Jeff and the boys sit down next Saturday at 3pm, it will probably be too late in certain grounds in the UK...

Aisley.

What you're saying sounds sensible. It's actually the sort of attitude that might lead to 100,000s unnecessary deaths.

We ARE most of us going to catch this virus. There will be a small percentage who it hits very badly. The number of them who then die will depend to a great extent on the capacity of the health service to treat them.

And THAT is why it is vital that we slow the spread. If it spreads very quickly, there will be many more people die, because we won't have the capacity to treat a lot of critically ill people at the same time. Spread the same number of infections over a year and many fewer people will die.

We all have a massive responsibility to play our own little parts in helping us slow that spread. Avoid unnecessary large gatherings. And wash your hands regularly. And do not be complacent. This could be horrific.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 03, 2020, 02:29:34 pm by podrover73 »

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 03, 2020, 02:42:17 pm by phil old leake »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 03, 2020, 02:58:44 pm by Copps is Magic »
BST, I think this is the proffesor you are reffering to, Neil Ferguson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7Qpvhh5m4

Two key things to point out.

1) Transmition has been suprresed in China, Hong Kong and Singapore - still spreading but suppressed.

2) Around 4.23minutes, he states the UK is still in 'containment' phase. The reason we don't have such measures yet (as the above places) is because we're simply in a different phase of the virus and it would be a disproportionate strategy. "Decisions shouldnt be made at moment" (5:14).

Being an evidenced-based advocate you will be taking note of the nuance of what he is saying and the timing of any response (and our individual responsibilities within that). Ultimately, for the benefit of the OP it is disproportionate to stop sporting events at this stage.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 03, 2020, 03:02:48 pm by IDM »
I would advocate behind closed doors fixtures if large gatherings are proposed as a precaution.

It’s much easier to check that what, 100 or so people are virus free rather than 7000-8000 individuals (more at other stadia).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012