Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 01:08:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Should the season finish now (CORONAVIRUS thread)  (Read 12173 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Should the season finish now (CORONAVIRUS thread)
« Reply #120 on March 08, 2020, 11:33:01 pm by dickos1 »
TRB.

That is coming. Very quickly.

Currently,the number of cases in the UK is doubling every two days. If that continues unchecked, we'd be fast approaching a million cases by the end of the month, and at 10million cases by mid-April.

I've no idea if it WILL keep on doubling at that rate without steps to check it, but if I were in charge and it did keep on increasing like that into the middle of next week, I'd be introducing some pretty draconian steps.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the last weekend with a full set of football matches played in front of live crowds.

There’s 42000 people currently infected, there’s been 103000 infected since it began.
Almost 60000 people have recovered from it
It’s not doubling every two days

He said in the UK which it pretty much is.

29/02 - 21
02/03 - 39
04/03 - 85
06/03 - 163

We're up to 206 today.

08/03 - 273

The doubling every two days theory is already dropping off then?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on March 09, 2020, 09:18:24 am by IDM »
Don’t forget that is diagnosed and reported cases, not the amount infected who aren’t ill yet, or who just act as carriers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on March 09, 2020, 09:22:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickos.

Yes. Let's hope so.

But see my post on the previous page. If this settles down to a doubling every 5 days, that's still a catastrophe coming, and no cause for celebration.

It'd be like slowing down from 500 mph to 200mph before you hit the wall.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on March 09, 2020, 09:42:59 am by dickos1 »
Don’t forget that is diagnosed and reported cases, not the amount infected who aren’t ill yet, or who just act as carriers.

No but that’s not what was being discussed. You can only go by the figures released. And if there are thousands walking about with it with no illness doesn’t that show it’s not really that bad

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on March 09, 2020, 09:52:37 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickos.

You have zero evidence that there are "thousands walking about with it with no illness".

You are being utterly irresponsible if you choose to believe it isn't really that bad, when the experts who spend their lives studying these things are telling us it has the potential to be devastating.

Look at the superb post by Dutch Uncle last night.

If the people telling you to start social-distancing, cover your mouth, wash your hands etc are wrong, the worst that happens is you're inconvenienced for a few weeks.

If they are right and you ignore them, the worst that can happen is that you are complicit in the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people.

It is a no-brainer.

If it turns out I've been over-reacting (and I fervently hope it does) you can take the piss out of me for all eternity. If it turns out you are being dangerously complacent...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on March 09, 2020, 01:57:12 pm by IDM »

No but that’s not what was being discussed. You can only go by the figures released. And if there are thousands walking about with it with no illness doesn’t that show it’s not really that bad

No it doesn’t show that at all..

those people may become ill, and even if they don’t they could act as carriers to infect other more vulnerable people..

This isn’t about you or me or BST or anyone else on here who always seem to disagree or find ways to disagree, it’s about public health.

We all hope this can be contained, and the effects reduced as soon as practical.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on March 09, 2020, 02:03:12 pm by dickos1 »
Dickos.

You have zero evidence that there are "thousands walking about with it with no illness".

You are being utterly irresponsible if you choose to believe it isn't really that bad, when the experts who spend their lives studying these things are telling us it has the potential to be devastating.

If the people telling you to start social-distancing, cover your mouth, wash your hands etc are wrong, the worst that happens is you're inconvenienced for a few weeks.

If they are right and you ignore them, the worst that can happen is that you are complicit in the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people.

It is a no-brainer.

If it turns out I've been over-reacting (and I fervently hope it does) you can take the piss out of me for all eternity. If it turns out you are being dangerously complacent...

Of course I don’t have evidence to show that, but it’s common sense.
They’re only testing a tiny portion of people, the health secretary has stated its highly likely that there are thousands of people walking around with this virus

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on March 09, 2020, 02:07:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And your point is?

Do you broadly believe epidemiologists who are saying that we are likely to have 10s of % of the population infected and a mortality rate of around 1%?

If you don't, tell us explicitly with reasoning why not?

If you do, what are you arguing about?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on March 10, 2020, 05:02:06 pm by i_ateallthepies »
BST, we all know Dickos for his insatiable need to be contrary, it's his sole purpose for coming on here.  Just don't take his bait and he'll quickly lose interest in posting his bollox.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on March 10, 2020, 06:03:02 pm by wilts rover »
Dickos.

It is a no-brainer.

Of course I don’t have evidence to show that, but it’s common sense.
They’re only testing a tiny portion of people, the health secretary has stated its highly likely that there are thousands of people walking around with this virus

Unfortunately dickos may be correct - or should I say worryingly dickos may be correct.

New data released from Italy shows 45% of people tested and found to have the virus only had mild symptoms - and 10% had it with no symptoms at all.

This is of course good news for them but extremely worrying for those more vunerable as it is now clear there are carriers who wont be self-isolating as they don't know they have it. Hence the whole country being put into lockdown.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-symptoms-death-rate-italy-data-latest-a9389411.html

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on May 03, 2020, 03:12:05 pm by Al4475 »
This has been an interesting read today 5 - 6 weeks into lockdown and with all kinds of discussion on what to do with the sport in the country.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012