Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 03:23:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Should the season finish now (CORONAVIRUS thread)  (Read 12185 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Should the season finish now
« Reply #30 on March 03, 2020, 03:10:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CiM

Yes it was him. Thanks for that video. Very informative.

For the record, because the tone of your post suggests there may be a misunderstanding, I didn't say and don't think that we should be cancelling football matches.

Yet.

But I suspect those sorts of measures are coming and probably a lot sooner than folk realise.

On that topic, the Swiss, who don't have a reputation for succumbing to ignorant panics, have just banned all football matches with expected crowds over 1000.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 03, 2020, 03:12:31 pm by scawsby steve »
Coronavirus, climate change, Brexit, Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, biological weapons, and on top of all that, f*cking rap music.

We're all doomed, I tell ye, all doomed.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 03, 2020, 03:21:57 pm by Iberian Red »
Coronavirus, climate change, Brexit, Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, biological weapons, and on top of all that, f*cking rap music.

Rap??!!
It's all trap now.
With that answer you must be high up on the death pool!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 03, 2020, 03:36:14 pm by IDM »
CiM

Yes it was him. Thanks for that video. Very informative.

For the record, because the tone of your post suggests there may be a misunderstanding, I didn't say and don't think that we should be cancelling football matches.

Yet.

But I suspect those sorts of measures are coming and probably a lot sooner than folk realise.

On that topic, the Swiss, who don't have a reputation for succumbing to ignorant panics, have just banned all football matches with expected crowds over 1000.

I read that the Swiss over 1000 fans ban is only for 2 weeks..

Hence the argument for behind closed doors fixtures.

Of course, football isn’t the same without the fans, but at least games could be played and the results valid, for promotions and relegations etc..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:16:59 pm by IDM »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 03, 2020, 03:49:59 pm by DearneValleyRover »
My wife works in the funeral industry and they have been briefed about the certainty of a global pandemic for the last 10 years. There are plenty of measures in place if or when this happens. From what she told me it’s an inevitability just a matter of when

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 03, 2020, 05:38:29 pm by DRNaith »

Rap??!!
It's all trap now.
With that answer you must be high up on the death pool!

I thought it was another verse of "We didn't start the fire"!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 03, 2020, 06:12:45 pm by adamtherover »
Currently less than 0.00006% of the UK population have contracted the virus. Forgive me for not being overly worried just yet.
If you catch it will you just want to be the 0.00007% or an  elderly relative who caught it from you ?  . Ostrich heads like most fans can’t except that IT IS COMING and the closure of Cinemas , Racing Tracks and Football Stadiums will be closed until ‘further notice’. All I’m saying is act sooner and reduce that possibility of it being indefinitely!

Ok, mr 1969,  serious question, and i want you to answer honestly....     many  people without question are gonna die on the UK roads this week.  You know this, yet i suspect that you travel by car regularly.  Its a much more curently dangerous situation than Covid 19 in the UK.  Have you considered ever refusing to travel by car to save your life????.  of course you havnt..,  why??? because the risks are very low!!  THE END.
  In 1918 40m died when they had no protection against a similar virus and it started with 1  , ever since then civilised world has embarked on virus protection .. today the is NO anti viral on Covid19 and by the time they find on it is likely to have mutated again and leave many millions dead . The END!!
I'll take your refusal to answer a simple question as confirmation that you drive every day of youe life without a care in the world.

You sir are a hypocrit and a drama queen!! Be gone with you!!!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 03, 2020, 06:14:33 pm by since-1969 »
Currently less than 0.00006% of the UK population have contracted the virus. Forgive me for not being overly worried just yet.
If you catch it will you just want to be the 0.00007% or an  elderly relative who caught it from you ?  . Ostrich heads like most fans can’t except that IT IS COMING and the closure of Cinemas , Racing Tracks and Football Stadiums will be closed until ‘further notice’. All I’m saying is act sooner and reduce that possibility of it being indefinitely!

Ok, mr 1969,  serious question, and i want you to answer honestly....     many  people without question are gonna die on the UK roads this week.  You know this, yet i suspect that you travel by car regularly.  Its a much more curently dangerous situation than Covid 19 in the UK.  Have you considered ever refusing to travel by car to save your life????.  of course you havnt..,  why??? because the risks are very low!!  THE END.
  In 1918 40m died when they had no protection against a similar virus and it started with 1  , ever since then civilised world has embarked on virus protection .. today the is NO anti viral on Covid19 and by the time they find on it is likely to have mutated again and leave many millions dead . The END!!
I'll take your refusal to answer a simple question as confirmation that you drive every day of youe life without a care in the world.

Awa and boil yar heed !!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 03, 2020, 06:20:26 pm by scawsby steve »

Awa and boil yar heed !!

"Somebody glassed this wee lassie, and naebody leaves until we find the c*nt what done it".

Begby.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:20:27 pm by scawsby steve »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on March 03, 2020, 06:46:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam

There were 1870 people killed on UK roads last year. If this virus isn't contained (and it's very unlikely to be), you can multiply that by at least 100 in terms of the number of fatalities.

The two cases just don't compare. It's everyone's responsibility to stop and think how serious this is, and start thinking what they can do to slow the spread and limit the deaths.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 03, 2020, 08:17:54 pm by adamtherover »
Adam

There were 1870 people killed on UK roads last year. If this virus isn't contained (and it's very unlikely to be), you can multiply that by at least 100 in terms of the number of fatalities.

The two cases just don't compare. It's everyone's responsibility to stop and think how serious this is, and start thinking what they can do to slow the spread and limit the deaths.
of course they compare.  Deaths occur in the roads every day yet we still drive using sensible precautions..   covid 19 at this moment in time is minuscule in the uk,  so cancelling the rest of the season right now is foolhardy!  As we speak the contagion rate figures are very very small. If 39 ppl had it last week and it's in the 40s now, its hardly grabbing hold now is it. 
What about the tube system, as long as boris hasnt shut the tube, the government don't think its serious!!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 03, 2020, 08:48:01 pm by sha66y »
“Acceptable attrition” springs to mind....

and the ill informed, snatching manipulated statistics from the many media sources that drip feed a containment strategy whilst readying the many underground cities to house the “special ones” ....

The military will have been briefed...........lol

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 03, 2020, 09:34:47 pm by Colin C No.3 »
“Acceptable attrition”.....’The military will have been briefed’

Ayup.....Shabby of the ‘Home Guard’ has arrived to inspect & galvanise the troops!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on March 03, 2020, 10:22:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam

of course they compare.  Deaths occur in the roads every day yet we still drive using sensible precautions..   covid 19 at this moment in time is minuscule in the uk,  so cancelling the rest of the season right now is foolhardy!  As we speak the contagion rate figures are very very small. If 39 ppl had it last week and it's in the 40s now, its hardly grabbing hold now is it. 
What about the tube system, as long as boris hasnt shut the tube, the government don't think its serious!!

Adam.
39 people had it yesterday. 52 have it today.

Currently, outside China, the number of cases are doubling every 3 days. That's pretty much exactly what's happening in the UK too. The numbers were in single figures last weekend.

Come back at the end of the month and see what it looks like. Or by the end of April. If it carries on doubling every three days (and it will unless we start taking action to slow it down) it'll be 50,000 cases in the UK by the end of this month. And in the millions by mid-April.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on March 04, 2020, 08:46:47 am by Pancho Regan »
and take a moral stance to avoid a catastrophic out break of the CORONAVIRUS .

Reducing the overall congregation of people now may help save many lives . The F.A. etc have to take the world wide outbreak of this unpredictable virus that could stretch into next winter more seriously  if the infection rate can’t be contained . Football supporters are particularly at risk as many are elderly and this particular group is most susceptible. Italy Ireland etc have made a stance but closing the season now will not be liked by all but it could guarantee that the sport survives for next season .   

If people are worried, they shouldn't go to football matches.

This !
Allow the public to asses and make their own decisions based on their own worries.
End of the day, if the virus is built to spread...it's going to spread.  Closing stadiums and postponing large events will only act to slow the inevitable IMO.  Besides, with symptoms taking a couple of weeks to show, by the time Jeff and the boys sit down next Saturday at 3pm, it will probably be too late in certain grounds in the UK...

Avoid unnecessary large gatherings.

So we're OK to carry on watching the Rovers then....

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 04, 2020, 08:49:26 am by Axholme Lion »
It would be worth just to see the Leeds fans explode!  :)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 04, 2020, 08:57:56 am by IDM »
If the season ended now, Leeds would be in the promotion place so why would their fans be upset.?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 04, 2020, 11:57:38 am by ravenrover »
Do you think that the other clubs would allow the standings now be used as promotion or relegation? The season would have to be declared null and void and then watch out for the legal battles

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on March 04, 2020, 12:00:23 pm by IDM »
I have no idea to be honest..

That’s why I think of it comes to it, fixtures would go ahead behind closed doors.  Maybe the EFL could permit Saturday fixtures to be made available via ifollow and with free viewing for ST holders.?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 04, 2020, 12:08:52 pm by adamtherover »
Adam

Adam.

Currently, outside China, the number of cases are doubling every 3 days. That's pretty much exactly what's happening in the UK too. The numbers were in single figures last weekend.

Come back at the end of the month and see what it looks like. Or by the end of April. If it carries on doubling every three days (and it will unless we start taking action to slow it down) it'll be 50,000 cases in the UK by the end of this month. And in the millions by mid-April.

so what we are saying is that because of one day 13 extra cases has occured in a country of 60 million, that all of a sudden that rate is going to carry on at that 1/3 increase every day and on and on...   By that rate, in 2 months, the entire country has it, is that what you are getting at....

CHina has 93000 reported cases, in a country of over 1 billion, where the virus has been on the go for months, much less hygiene facilities outside of the main cities..  Surely by your equations, they would be all dead and buried by now?

no ones is saying its not an issue, just that, in the UK, right now, its not as bad as the media frenzy would have you believe.  54 cases in a country of 60 million!. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:21:12 pm by adamtherover »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 04, 2020, 12:43:20 pm by sha66y »
“Acceptable attrition”.....’The military will have been briefed’

Ayup.....Shabby of the ‘Home Guard’ has arrived to inspect & galvanise the troops!

2 key points that I hope won’t be lost on you....

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 04, 2020, 01:21:11 pm by drfchound »
Adam

Adam.

I think I read on the forum, when this all kicked off, that if the infection rate doubled every day, or something like that, that there would be millions infected by now.
That hasn’t happened.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 04, 2020, 01:40:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam/Hound.

You can give your own opinions on what will or will not happen. Me, I prefer to listen to people who have spent their entire lives studying these things.

That video that CiM posted yesterday with the professor from Imperial College. He says that typically, epidemics spread at a rate that more or less doubles every five days. Of course that doesn't go on forever because it's self-limiting. In a normal flu epidemic, most people have some level of immunity, so it only spreads to 10-15% of the population.

The point with this one is that we have zero natural immunity because it's a new virus. So more people who come into contact with it will get infected. As I say, yer man from Imperial College says that we expect the doubling rate to be every five days. At the moment, in Europe and the UK it's more like about every 3 days. We are at the very start of the wide spread of the infection.

Once it's out, you can expect that doubling to continue at something like that rate if we do nowt about it, until maybe 40million people are infected in the UK. That will take about 2-3 months. The key issue is that how we behave can slow down that doubling rate. And the slower the rate of doubling, the fewer people will have the infection at any one time, and the better the treatment the NHS will be able to provide.

That is my entire point.

You say that China contained it.

Fine. They did that by effectively closing the country down when they only had a few dozen cases. You are saying that we shouldn't do that because it would be an over-reaction. Which way do you want it?

Hound.

If the doubling rate is every day, it would take 20 days to go from 1 to 1million cases. No-one who looks at this ever sees doubling rates of once every day. If it doubles every three day, it takes 2 months to get to a million. Every five days and it is 3 months.

The virus started getting a hold outside China about a fortnight ago. There were about 500 cases outside China at that time. By this time last week it was 3000. By Sunday it was 8500, last night it was 12,750. As we speak it is about 14,250.

Go and think about it. It's been doubling at a rate of once every three days for a fortnight. If that continues, there will be about 7 million cases worldwide by the end of the month. If it slows down to doubling every 5 days, there will about 500,000. If we really got on top of it and slowed the doubling rate to once every ten days, there would only be about 100,000 by the end of the month.

That's the difference that different amounts of effort can make in the early stage.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 04, 2020, 01:56:53 pm by adamtherover »
Adam/Hound.

You can give your own opinions on what will or will not happen. Me, I prefer to listen to people who have spent their entire lives studying these things.

since when have either one of us given any opinion on what will happen,  you are the one spouting doomsday scenarios,    we are merely looking at whats happpened right now, in this country!!!, Thats all, and one in a million current cases with zero fatalities, suggests RIGHT NOW is not the time to go in panic mode!!!!!  Thats all, everybody suggests caution of course, but once we start shutting things down, with no date of opening them up again, stadiums,  shopping centres, tube sytems, cities???  where does it end!!!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 04, 2020, 02:01:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam

Just get prepared for it. By May or June, depending on how quickly it spreads, There will be mass closures of all sorts of events, and advice for us not to congregate in large numbers.

If you want to stop the virus from infecting millions of people, you would be doing that right now. Just like China did. If you don't take serious action to stop it when there are fifty cases, there WILL be a million cases within 2-3 months.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 04, 2020, 02:43:08 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I agree with the projected figures, and the point of slowing it down helps the NHS cope. There's also a likely seasonal factor - another argument for slowing down the spread in the near future.

On the other hand, the biggest spreading places are schools,, workplaces and supermarkets. Footy is a very small part of the picture, but looks good on the news whilst having a minimal effect on the economy. Maybe just shut the prem grounds?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012