Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:52:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 57156 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #90 on May 12, 2020, 06:14:47 pm by IDM »
I read the transcript (the football parts) today - thanks SM.

It is difficult to comment when we are so far removed from what is going on, other than it is clear that there are lots of variables and lots of discussions being had.

Whether there are any long term changes to how football is financed as a result of all these goings on, remains to be seen.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 12, 2020, 09:06:22 pm by drfchound »
Guardian article on the next steps;
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/12/efl-clubs-set-for-crunch-talks-this-week-to-find-solution-to-unfinished-season

From quickly reading that article it would appear that they are in for an interesting meeting.
League one and two clubs don’t appear to be in favour of playing behind closed doors because of financial issues around that while a Championship source suggested that several clubs are against the season resuming.
The EFL are in favour of resuming the season but it would appear that lots of clubs are against it.
Individually too some players have voiced fears about playing.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on May 12, 2020, 10:48:01 pm by Draytonian III »
Lincoln with lay a new pitch because they’ve dug Sincil Bank up

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on May 13, 2020, 09:36:28 am by DonnyOsmond »
EFL Clubs Meeting this coming Friday with a decision expected shortly afterwards.

Yep, as I mentioned above. Meeting with Government on Thursday, clubs on Friday, but I think you may be disappointed about a decision shortly afterwards if my updated info is correct.

Is the meeting just to discuss this current seasons ending or will it be to discuss future changes too?

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on May 13, 2020, 10:14:05 am by keyser_soze »
I thought there was a proposal that promotions would stand but relegation wouldn't, and the PL would just accept 3 more teams?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on May 13, 2020, 10:52:28 am by IDM »
Here’s a thought, apologies if it has been said before..

Play out this season, eventually, probably behind closed doors - but to finish by Christmas.

Run the 2021 season say February to October - and then again the same in 2022.

That would then align with the World Cup starting in November that year.

Of course this would need to be an international plan driven by FIFA, and almost certainly not going to happen.

Just a thought.?

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on May 13, 2020, 11:31:12 am by firestarter »
So does this mean Bolton escape punishment once again?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on May 13, 2020, 12:02:10 pm by albie »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on May 13, 2020, 01:00:15 pm by drfchound »
BBC take on the situation;
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52644313

Lots of potential problems there then.
Had to laugh about how they emphasised that Sunderland would have to have another year in L1.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on May 13, 2020, 01:15:51 pm by IDM »
As I said before, the best sporting option is to play out the season.

The least worst alternative is to void the season.

Anything else opens up a whole can of worms.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on May 13, 2020, 01:50:36 pm by silent majority »
EFL Clubs Meeting this coming Friday with a decision expected shortly afterwards.

Yep, as I mentioned above. Meeting with Government on Thursday, clubs on Friday, but I think you may be disappointed about a decision shortly afterwards if my updated info is correct.

Is the meeting just to discuss this current seasons ending or will it be to discuss future changes too?

Nobody knows, the EFL haven't given the clubs an agenda, nor have they intimated what may or may not be discussed. My info says that they will be talking but no decisions will be made and no votes taken.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on May 13, 2020, 02:47:36 pm by drfchound »
The EFL do have a history of not being able to make a decision.
This could be something else that drags on and on.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on May 13, 2020, 03:06:43 pm by bedale rover »
The EFL do have a history of not being able to make a decision.
This could be something else that drags on and on.

Like the lockdown?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 13, 2020, 04:09:57 pm by drfchound »
TBH Bedale I don’t think the lockdown should have been eased off yet.
For another thread perhaps.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on May 13, 2020, 04:48:03 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Am i the only one who thinks unless we have an antidote/vaccination it will just re-occur until this is found? Social distancing and other measures such as a form of lockdown will be the only way we can stem the death toll, far more important than whether i see matches i paid for via my ST or when/whether i get to see next seasons. I have always been a Rovers fan out and out but this is MUCH bigger....   

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on May 13, 2020, 05:05:39 pm by IDM »
Am i the only one who thinks unless we have an antidote/vaccination it will just re-occur until this is found? Social distancing and other measures such as a form of lockdown will be the only way we can stem the death toll, far more important than whether i see matches i paid for via my ST or when/whether i get to see next seasons. I have always been a Rovers fan out and out but this is MUCH bigger....   

No you’re not the only one.  The spread of the virus will go up and down relative to the relaxation and re implementation of lockdown measures.

We could easily get to a point where football had restarted but had to stop again.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on May 13, 2020, 05:25:35 pm by drfchound »

No you’re not the only one.  The spread of the virus will go up and down relative to the relaxation and re implementation of lockdown measures.

We could easily get to a point where football had restarted but had to stop again.

I also think the same.
IDM, I have posted elsewhere today that I am not certain that it is even worth starting next season due to the potential  for further lockdowns disrupting the football again.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on May 13, 2020, 06:33:17 pm by silent majority »

I also think the same.
IDM, I have posted elsewhere today that I am not certain that it is even worth starting next season due to the potential  for further lockdowns disrupting the football again.

You have to remember though that this is an industry employing many thousands, it needs to open up again like many others. My guess is it will, later this year, but with sever restrictions in place.

It will also look different to how it looks today, fewer players, lower salaries etc.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on May 13, 2020, 06:42:33 pm by drfchound »

I also think the same.

You have to remember though that this is an industry employing many thousands, it needs to open up again like many others. My guess is it will, later this year, but with sever restrictions in place.

It will also look different to how it looks today, fewer players, lower salaries etc.

Yep, I understand about the football industry implications SM.
I just think it is inevitable that we will have similar problems with regards to lockdowns etc next season.
The only thing that can prevent that is a vaccine which can be given to everyone quickly.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on May 14, 2020, 09:20:11 am by silent majority »
The latest statement from the EFL. It says nothing really and just confirms what I said earlier, that more discussions will take place but no votes or decisions yet.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on May 14, 2020, 09:23:45 am by silent majority »

I also think the same.

Yep, I understand about the football industry implications SM.
I just think it is inevitable that we will have similar problems with regards to lockdowns etc next season.
The only thing that can prevent that is a vaccine which can be given to everyone quickly.

I think they'll find a way, as I stated earlier.

They need to open up again otherwise the whole football league will close permanently. They can't keep paying players and other members of staff indefinitely. They may be behind closed doors but if that's the case TV will take over and become the income stream they need.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on May 14, 2020, 10:31:06 am by karldew »
What we could not accept is a situation where we play all our games and get relegated, but the Championship can't play, and they automatically promote some teams who haven't finished the season," Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber told Sky Sports

Another twist in the story.. are we going to have this through out the leagues from the bottom sides?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on May 14, 2020, 11:15:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but surely, from a selfish point of view the suggestion to have promotions without relegations benefits the Rovers immensely?

It would mean that when the next season starts, L1 is almost guaranteed to be of weaker overall quality than any other solution. We keep Bolton, Tranmere, Southend and Wimbledon and lose Barnsley, Charlton and Luton.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on May 14, 2020, 12:03:28 pm by Herman Hessian »
absolutely fail to see how you can have promotion without relegation - that's complete nonsense - every argument for "saving" clubs from being relegated (unequal split home/away games - balance of easier/harder matches blah blah blah) can be applied with absolutely the same degree of impact to reasons why teams should not be promoted

has to be either up and down, or null and void - and I'd very strongly favour the latter

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on May 14, 2020, 01:20:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Philosophically I think the argument is that erroneously giving someone a benefit and denying that to someone else is morally less bad than erroneously applying a punishment to someone.

I can see some merit in that.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on May 14, 2020, 07:32:35 pm by NewDonny »
Talk about contriving a situation to suit your own means and ambitions lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52670556

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on May 14, 2020, 09:19:07 pm by drfchound »
Talk about contriving a situation to suit your own means and ambitions lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52670556

Well if six clubs want to play but say, sixteen don’t, what happens next.
In a vote it would look to me like a win for the don’t wants.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on May 15, 2020, 01:28:03 am by albie »
The 6 appear to be living in a dream world.

Tranmere are replacing sub surface drainage, and someone above said Lincoln are doing pitch work.

All the routine prep for the new season needs to be done, so just how they can squeeze it the outstanding fixtures from this needs to be thought about.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on May 15, 2020, 08:55:59 am by Chris Black come back »
Given we are neither going to get promoted or relegated, my only concern is we do not end up with null and void which will wipe out all the 2019/20 appearances and goals from Copps’ career record.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012