Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:23:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 1 in 10 Police Officers a danger to the public  (Read 1055 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
1 in 10 Police Officers a danger to the public
« on February 05, 2023, 10:24:02 pm by wilts rover »
1 in 10 police officers should never have passed vetting according to a new report by HM Constabulary. They lied on their forms, have prior convictions and/or links to criminal that are 'not explained'.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-02-05/hundreds-of-uk-police-officers-should-never-have-been-recruited-inspector-says

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11678645/One-ten-police-officers-shouldnt-vetting.html

Which comes only 4 days after the Met was revealed to be re-hiring 350 former officers who were either dismissed for misconduct or resigned during misconduct investigations:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/01/met-under-pressure-not-to-rehire-retired-officers-with-misconduct-record

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: 1 in 10 Police Officers a danger to the public
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2023, 10:46:03 pm by SydneyRover »

No Comment

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2023, 06:04:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
The Guardian article is 'Tosh' Advice is metered out by over zealous Professional Standards departments to Miscreants, who have quit a point to go for a call of nature, or been caught passing wind on a tape recording when only other officers of the same gender were present!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2023, 09:17:37 pm by normal rules »
The guardian article is very misleading.
Misconduct takes very different meanings and may be low level. The officers who have resigned are likely not to have lost their job as a result of the misconduct, it was just something they did during their career.
Take for example a local Lincs officer who recently went through a very public misconduct hearing for failing to follow orders when he pursued a motorist who failed to stop when requested, who subsequently crashed and died. He didn’t lose his job. Doesn’t mean he is not suitable for re employment if found guilty of the misconduct but kept his job.
Once again, police are not alone in being subject to misconduct hearings during their employment . Every profession has some sort of disciplinary process. Cops are no different .

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 06, 2023, 09:28:46 pm by normal rules »
And slightly off topic, for those that watched Happy Valley, which was excellent btw. I would like to point out that in the final episode where Catherine went into her house that had clearly been broken into, and given the extenuating circumstances around Tommy absconding, and the risk he posed, and his subsequent death, I can tell you with some certainty that if this was a real life scenario , she would have been investigated for possible misconduct. Especially because she was alone and he subsequently died.
Because we have become such a risk averse society. And the so called police leaders have become shit scared of their own shadows.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 07, 2023, 01:35:14 am by SydneyRover »
''Lincolnshire Police officer guilty of gross misconduct over fatal police pursuit''

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2023/01/lincolnshire-police-officer-guilty-of-gross-misconduct-over-fatal-police-pursuit/

''“It was apparent from the evidence we gathered that PC Brereton knew that following the instruction not to pursue he should have followed policy by deactivating his emergency equipment, pulling off the road and going in a different direction. Despite the instruction PC Brereton continued to pursue at high speed until just before the tragic collision. The disciplinary panel found gross misconduct proven and the final written warning will stay on his record for two years.”''

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/news/lincolnshire-constable-given-final-written-warning-over-unauthorised-pursuit-fatal-collision

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 07, 2023, 08:19:00 am by normal rules »
''Lincolnshire Police officer guilty of gross misconduct over fatal police pursuit''

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2023/01/lincolnshire-police-officer-guilty-of-gross-misconduct-over-fatal-police-pursuit/

''“It was apparent from the evidence we gathered that PC Brereton knew that following the instruction not to pursue he should have followed policy by deactivating his emergency equipment, pulling off the road and going in a different direction. Despite the instruction PC Brereton continued to pursue at high speed until just before the tragic collision. The disciplinary panel found gross misconduct proven and the final written warning will stay on his record for two years.”''

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/news/lincolnshire-constable-given-final-written-warning-over-unauthorised-pursuit-fatal-collision

Yep that’s the one.
I know the lad.
It was all over social media. And the general consensus was against the toe rag who failed to stop.  Very few of the public that commented on social media wanted this lad to lose his job.
He did wrong. He accepts that.
He didn’t deserve to lose his job. Which he didn’t.
And if he retired tomorrow, he would still be eligible to re join.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 07, 2023, 08:47:04 am by turnbull for england »
Disobeying orders is a issue rightly dealt with , with regard to the results thoughMan sees blue lights , man pulls over , man doesn't die.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 07, 2023, 09:28:09 am by normal rules »
I’ve been in a similar situation many years ago.
What crosses your mind is if that driver continued and then Ended up killing an innocent member of public. And then the police get hammered for perceived lack of action. Dames if you do etc.
It’s a real double edged sword. Doing what you feel is right. Pushing boundaries and sometimes over stepping them.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 07, 2023, 09:40:34 am by SydneyRover »
I don't wish to get into a never ending debate about this but what happens if an untrained police driver disobeys a direct, order loses control and kills his passenger and other motorists?

Why bother bringing in legislation to stop to reduce dangerous pursuits?

Why have supervisors in the police force if they are disobeyed? 

What if all police drivers trained/untrained decided to ignore a direct order?

Are police not trained to follow orders?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 07, 2023, 09:55:05 am by normal rules »
In you first scenario, then there would most certainly be a charge of death by careless or death by dangerous. Which most certainly would result in a job loss of course and a custodial term being imposed.

If only we lived in a world where everyone complied with the law, then there would be no need for police or any other law enforcement agency.
But what sort of a world would that be ?

Having a supervisor and obeying their instruction. Hmmm. Where do I start with this?
Some leaders I would gladly follow into battle. All day long.
Some I would happily shoot in the back. Literally. Because their orders and instructions would put lives at risk. Because they are clueless.
And I have experience of both.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 07, 2023, 10:00:43 am by SydneyRover »
I think I'll hop out of this conversation right here

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 08, 2023, 05:51:13 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
1 thought i would look into this

Metropolitan Police F.C.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metropolitan PoliceSmallMetPolicelogo.png
Full name   Metropolitan Police Football Club
Nickname(s)   The Met
The Old Bill
The Blues and Twos
Founded   1919
Ground   Imber Court, East Molesey
Capacity   3,000 (297 seated)[1]
Chairman   Desmond Flanders
Manager   Gavin Macpherson
League   Southern League Premier Division South
2021–22   Southern League Premier Division South, 4th of 22
Website   Club website
Home colours

Away colours

Metropolitan Police Football Club is a football club based in East Molesey, Surrey, England. Originally made up of players from the Metropolitan Police, the rule requiring players to be employees of the service was removed when the Commissioner refused to sanction time off for playing. However, the club is still part-funded by a police staff lottery.[2] They are currently members of the Southern League Premier Division South and play at Imber Court, the base of the Met Police Sports and Social Club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Police_F.C.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 08, 2023, 10:17:57 pm by SydneyRover »
In you first scenario, then there would most certainly be a charge of death by careless or death by dangerous. Which most certainly would result in a job loss of course and a custodial term being imposed.

If only we lived in a world where everyone complied with the law, then there would be no need for police or any other law enforcement agency.

Having a supervisor and obeying their instruction. Hmmm. Where do I start with this?
Some I would happily shoot in the back. Literally. Because their orders and instructions would put lives at risk. Because they are clueless.

This sounds like extremist behaviour to me?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 09, 2023, 07:46:34 am by normal rules »

This sounds like extremist behaviour to me?

Context SR. My military days are well behind me. 25 yrs to be precise.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 09, 2023, 08:01:47 am by SydneyRover »
Maybe you should explain yourself a littler clearer in the future so I and others don't get the wrong idea, but your xenophobia is current though aye?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 09, 2023, 08:02:47 am by drfchound »
Just going back to the title of this thread.
Do the people who see one in ten police officers as a danger to the public include the members of the public who are caught for committing crimes.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 09, 2023, 09:43:43 am by Bentley Bullet »
Starmer will sort it!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 09, 2023, 10:55:48 pm by Sprotyrover »
I assume there is a massive re vetting exercise nationwide to wroot out the Bad apples! And there are a few of them in the newly recruited Cops. As the vetting has been appalling! This coupled with
Rubbish pay means the Police Force will Dwindle way, as Cops leave after a short couple of years.
So the new Vetting standards will automatically exclude a large proportion of the male Population.
How many of us on here have a Caution from the Police in our Cupboard? Last time I checked it was 25% of all males under 30. So we will see a Police Force which may be 65% female. With all of the baggage that brings, families and childcare issues

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 09, 2023, 11:54:08 pm by SydneyRover »
I'll be surprised if anyone under 30 comes anywhere near.

I should also take you to task for dissing women

''So we will see a Police Force which may be 65% female. With all of the baggage that brings, families and childcare issues''

Remember who the majority are with the problems.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 10, 2023, 01:15:49 pm by Sprotyrover »
I'll be surprised if anyone under 30 comes anywhere near.

I should also take you to task for dissing women

''So we will see a Police Force which may be 65% female. With all of the baggage that brings, families and childcare issues''

Remember who the majority are with the problems.
[/quoteoh I do beg your Pardon, who was dissing women?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 10, 2023, 06:30:33 pm by normal rules »
Recruitment and retention in the countries police is a secret ongoing catastrophe. No one wants to be a cop. Who can blame them?
New young recruits are falling by the wayside at rates never seen before. Many citing “it’s not the job they thought it was”. Shift work, abuse, violence. Pay and conditions. The list goes on and on. And on top of that public confidence is at an all time low.
Oh, and you are committing to 40 years before you can look at a pension.
It’s an old adage, but it’s not the job it used to be.
And as a topical aside, many young cops are being sacked for inappropriate use of social media.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 10, 2023, 08:54:43 pm by ravenrover »
I thought about joining when I left school at 16, the Careers Officer put me off with one little phrase which I still remember
"Do you want to be unpopular all your life"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 09:37:51 am by ravenrover »

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 10, 2023, 10:42:50 pm by belton rover »
Recruitment and retention in the countries police is a secret ongoing catastrophe. No one wants to be a cop. Who can blame them?
New young recruits are falling by the wayside at rates never seen before. Many citing “it’s not the job they thought it was”. Shift work, abuse, violence. Pay and conditions. The list goes on and on. And on top of that public confidence is at an all time low.
Oh, and you are committing to 40 years before you can look at a pension.
It’s an old adage, but it’s not the job it used to be.
And as a topical aside, many young cops are being sacked for inappropriate use of social media.
I can’t think of any job in the public sector that is what it used to be.
My son is a cop and has been for three years. A bloody good one. Yes, he finds much of it frustrating, but he loves his job. He is immensely proud to serve the public and the country in this way.
And I am very proud of him for doing so.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 06:12:13 am by belton rover »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 11, 2023, 08:49:54 am by normal rules »
I doth my cap to you and your lad. If he stays the course, then he is made of the good stuff.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 11, 2023, 10:03:29 am by i_ateallthepies »
Doff.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 11, 2023, 12:49:30 pm by Sprotyrover »
Good luck to him Belton, my son is also a Cop with 19 years Service, but he has seen his pension cut by something like 30% his retirement age has gone up from 50 to 60 and his Pension contributions have gone up from 11% of his salary to 14%. Sadly the pension is no longer a hold and he will resign if the right Job pops up.
When he joined the older serving cops told stories of Nothing happening on a Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday on nights.
Going to jobs and not having a dozen morons start filming you on their mobiles and shouting abuse to put you off.
Actually having time to deal with stuff properly and having the support of seasoned CID officers who had got their role through bitter experience and being competent. Also having a large very professional Road Policing unit that took the difficult stuff on.and working in a environment where carrying knives and such like was a very rare occurrence. Those days  have long gone, they are under staffed and 15 Police officers get assaulted every week in our county. Cops at Thorne on nights find them selves working alone, and know that any possible help will be a very long time in coming. Also the streets are full of idiots armed to the teeth, due to the wokes in Government permitting asylum seekers into the U.K. From Knife culture countries.
Syria,Iraq,Albania,Kossovo,Eritrea,Sudan,Somalia.back in the day most idiots thought twice before assaulting Police officers. Those days have long gone. Plus we have a resurgence in football violence.
My other son was out with his partner in Leeds and had the Pleasure of meeting Derby Tosspots on Leeds station Sheffield bound Platform, he and some other members of the Public had to save a bloke from being bottled to death, he had been hit in the face by a gang of Derby thugs, when they rescued him and got on the train, he looked out of the window and saw 5 Cops on a quiet platform doing their best to avoid the
Rampaging Derby thugs on the Sheffield bound Platform!
I don't blame the Cops they get paid peanuts, society has got the Police Force it thoroughly deserves!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:57:36 pm by Sprotyrover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012