Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:20:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens signs  (Read 3884 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Wellens signs
« on September 01, 2014, 01:15:31 pm by mrfrostsdad »
It's finally done.
Richie signs a new two year contract. Thank God for that

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobbymax

• VSC Member
Re: Wellens signs
« Reply #1 on September 01, 2014, 01:34:33 pm by bobbymax »
Injuries withstanding and with one or two possible loan signings, we surely have the squad to be very competitive at the top end of this league.
Over to you Mr Dickov!

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 01, 2014, 01:35:01 pm by RoversDave »
Can someone put the pen in the "On loan" tray please.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 01, 2014, 02:30:03 pm by bobjimwilly »
Of course he signed, the club just wanted something to announce on Sky Sports' "Deadline Day". Gives the journo outside the Keepmoat something to talk about too

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 01, 2014, 06:02:40 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Personally, I think we need another goalkeeper, a centre half and a goalscorer.
Had we kept Quinn, he could have played full back or centre half. Anyway, he's gone so that's it.
From what I've seen of Steer, I think he will cost us dear. I think he's cost us points already, and we've always needed a 20 goal a season striker, but then again so does every club.
I guess loans would do it, if the players are out there

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 01, 2014, 06:23:29 pm by GazLaz »
You can't sign "goal scorers", only forwards. You don't know if they are goal scorers until they play.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 01, 2014, 07:33:03 pm by phil o sophical »
It would be a start if we played to the strengths of the forwards we have already before thinking about signing any more

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 01, 2014, 07:36:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Got to agree on Steer,i'm usually very patient with goalkeepers settling in,but this fella gives me no indication that he is going to get any better,he is giving a decent defence the jitters.
I Do think we are a bit short of goalscorers,a lower league striker with potential would be a good way to go,it worries me if McCombe or Jones get injured again,that we won't be able to get the necessary experience in if we rely on the loan market.

On the goalkeeper,i would send him back to the factory and tell them he doesn't work properly,there are pieces missing,and get a replacement sent out.

Not sure about the decent defence, Oldham should have had 5 or 6 goals if they were any good.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 01, 2014, 08:03:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We've got promoted 6 times in my Rovers-watching lifetime. In only 2 of those seasons did we have a 20 goal striker (02/03 & 03/04).

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 01, 2014, 11:18:32 pm by jonnydog »
Regarding Steer, and maybe we were spoiled last year with Turnbull and Johnstone, but dare I say it...

... I think Woods was better :chair:

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 01, 2014, 11:23:08 pm by pib »
I don't really see how we were 'spoiled' when Turnbull now plays for another L1 club.

I think he's a great keeper and easily Championship class, but it just shows that we had a bigger chance of keeping him than we thought, if it wasn't for all the shenanigans.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 02, 2014, 09:20:57 am by roversam »
Regarding Steer, and maybe we were spoiled last year with Turnbull and Johnstone, but dare I say it...

... I think Woods was better :chair:
hope your joking about Woods.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 02, 2014, 09:24:11 am by Jenny »
You can't sign "goal scorers", only forwards. You don't know if they are goal scorers until they play.

To be labelled a ''Goalscorer'' for me it means you have scored goals for previous clubs at a decent rate,so they can be labelled a ''Goalscorer'',you please yourself what you call them :thumbsup:

Like Justin Jackson & Carl Alford were? And numerous others.... the reality is that even the proven goalscorers seem to struggle at DRFC, look at Billy's return last season.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 02, 2014, 10:04:25 am by Colin C No.3 »

To be labelled a ''Goalscorer'' for me it means you have scored goals for previous clubs at a decent rate,so they can be labelled a ''Goalscorer'',you please yourself what you call them :thumbsup:

Like Justin Jackson & Carl Alford were? And numerous others.... the reality is that even the proven goalscorers seem to struggle at DRFC, look at Billy's return last season.
You have to play to their strength's. It's no good buying a 'goal poacher' then hoofing balls up to him, that's why Ian Rush 'failed' at Juventus, Lineker at Barca when Cruyff stuck him out wide. It's why Billy 'failed' in his last stint here IMO. The manager has to know how to get the best out of each & every one of his players in order for them to be able to integrate & make the team as unit succeed. It's what marks out good managers from poor ones.

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 02, 2014, 11:46:04 am by Derby Viking »
We will look better up front once Main returns - he will get the goals that make the difference

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 02, 2014, 01:02:27 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Well, I've only seen Main the once this season and he didn't have a kick. I hope you're right though

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 03, 2014, 07:31:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
hope your joking about Woods.

I think the reference must have been to Andy Woods !!

Seriously, on my first viewing of Steer in the pre-season friendly v Rotherham, I did make a reference to some similarities to Gary Woods, mainly due to him not commanding his area and being a bit lightweight when coming to gather the ball.

I think Steer wants to do it, whereas Woods didn't. Steer does come for the ball but in time needs to do it with more authority.

I agree we were spoiled with Johnstone as he showed more command, awareness and agility around the box than I've seen from a goalkeeper of his age and experience.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012