Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:30:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cantley park training complex  (Read 4032 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Cantley park training complex
« on March 07, 2017, 04:57:35 pm by not on facebook »
What is the standard of the training ground at cantley park?

Does it need any type of upgrades and if so are plans in place?

Do the rovers players like it?

Last question as I think I know the answer to this but who owned the cantley park cricket ground/ football ground before rovers bought it out right?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Cantley park training complex
« Reply #1 on March 07, 2017, 04:59:14 pm by Filo »
What is the standard of the training ground at cantley park?

Does it need any type of upgrades and if so are plans in place?

Do the rovers players like it?

Last question as I think I know the answer to this but who owned the cantley park cricket ground/ football ground before rovers bought it out right?

I think International Harvesters owned it pre Rovers

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 07, 2017, 05:08:15 pm by keith79 »
is it not council owned and rover just rent it

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 07, 2017, 05:21:11 pm by not on facebook »
International harvesters is what I thought was the previous owners but for some reason ICI was running around in me head.

The council only own the pitch and putt at cantley park and football pitches .

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 07, 2017, 06:19:57 pm by Bezza »
i also thought it was council owned, but we do need an indoor training pitch

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 07, 2017, 06:42:03 pm by glosterred »
Thought Rovers bought it during JR's tenure at Rovers. It was, I believe, international harvesters, then Case before Rovers took it over, played cricket there many years ago

COYR

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 07, 2017, 06:46:56 pm by not on facebook »
I could be wrong here and the training ground might be council owned ,but I have allways been on the understanding that rovers bought the place from international harvesters .

Iam certain that cricket is no longer played there .

There was allways been that white building on those grounds  and I guess rovers paid to have that building upgraded .

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 07, 2017, 06:50:49 pm by knockers »
Rovers bought it from Case many, many years ago

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 07, 2017, 06:53:39 pm by drfchound »
I played on the main pitch there a few times and I always thought it was better than the Belle Vue pitch.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 07, 2017, 07:27:36 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Can't let is owned by the council but Rovers have a long lease on it. There are some new developments planned for the training ground

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 07, 2017, 09:34:28 pm by ravenrover »
ICI had their own facilities footie and cricket near to the factory, played there a few times in the early 70's as I did on the Harvesters site at Cantley Park

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 07, 2017, 09:36:13 pm by ravenrover »
Didn't a Rovers team reserves or intermediates  play on a pitch somewhere in Thorne behind the Rising Sun?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 07, 2017, 09:43:49 pm by not on facebook »
So can anyone please confirm if either

A) DRFC own cantley park training ground

Or

B) is it leased from donny council.

someone must know

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 07, 2017, 09:51:47 pm by drfchound »
Didn't a Rovers team reserves or intermediates  play on a pitch somewhere in Thorne behind the Rising Sun?

That pitch many years ago, was the home of a club called Moorends Athletic.

ballysbackin

« Reply #14 on March 07, 2017, 10:01:23 pm by ballysbackin »

Raven that is correct and the ground and team that played there was a Rovers nursery team many years ago, I played there as will have hound. Bill Spencer lived in the house and his son Johnny who is sadly no longer with us worked at the Plant, he played for Thorne YC when I did. About half the team were apprentices at The Plant in 67 -69 time, I think Hound played for the Youth Club a year or two later but will know better than me about the ground. I think it was Thorne Trinity FC, come on hounds help me out

ballysbackin

« Reply #15 on March 07, 2017, 10:01:57 pm by ballysbackin »
Just seen your post Hound, thanks

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 07, 2017, 10:02:40 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Or

someone must know

It's on a long lease

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 07, 2017, 10:03:33 pm by Filo »

Raven that is correct and the ground and team that played there was a Rovers nursery team many years ago, I played there as will have hound. Bill Spencer lived in the house and his son Johnny who is sadly no longer with us worked at the Plant, he played for Thorne YC when I did. About half the team were apprentices at The Plant in 67 -69 time, I think Hound played for the Youth Club a year or two later but will know better than me about the ground. I think it was Thorne Trinity FC, come on hounds help me out

Tol Bar ground, opposite side of the canal to where Dunstons Shipyard used to be

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 07, 2017, 10:06:28 pm by not on facebook »

Or

someone must know

It's on a long lease

Thanks for that answer fella

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 07, 2017, 10:08:27 pm by drfchound »

Tol Bar ground, opposite side of the canal to where Dunstons Shipyard used to be

See my previous post Filo.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 07, 2017, 10:13:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Leased and protected with a community order on it to ensure the land is not used to make a quick buck, should anyone else acquire the lease. Same goes for the Keepmoat. 

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 11, 2017, 09:40:41 am by ravenrover »

Thanks, I remember playing there a few times against Thorne Moorends? Bog of a pitch

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 11, 2017, 10:07:15 am by Donnywolf »
I remember when Ernie Crawford was a "famous" Ref (and from Donny of course). He was at a Match on Toll Bar and my dad pointed him out. I wanted to get his Autograph and was watching his every move

Finally I saw my chance and pounced - can I have your Autograph please - "well he said I have been asked in some strange places but never while I was in the Toilet" . He had a point !

And when I say Toilet I mean something not quite as good as York City !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 11, 2017, 10:27:07 am by Bentley Bullet »
I know a story about Ernie Crawford.

As it was traditional back then for the FA to select a referee in his last year of service to officiate the FA cup final, Ernie Crawford was pencilled in for the role. However, there was a snag when Sheffield Wednesday made it to final, against Everton. Crawford, being from Doncaster, couldn't be considered as neutral between the finalists, so he was withdrawn.

Apparently, Crawford never got over his disappointment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012