Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:47:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What's the highest standard of football or opponent you have played against.  (Read 7054 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
I joined a pub team out here in oslo,infact the only pub team in oslo as the set up is a tad different out here.

We played against a scratched up other pub team in a friendly about 15yeara ago.

We was all ex pats on some local noggys ,and the other team were a cross section from former Yugoslavia and new firmed country's from that neck of woods.

In their team was a former Yugoslavian U21 international,and he was  out of this world .i could not kick him never mind get a tackle in to get the ball off him .i have never been so dizzy during 90mins in my life.

It was as if the ball was glued to his foot  and the pitch was really bad full of pot holes and bumps ,but that only seemed to inspire this chap.

At one point in the game I was that confused and disturb I was just about sick.

Never again > know your level

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover

• Forum Member
I've played against..

Andrew Boyce (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Boyce) - Conisbrough & District JFC

Leon Osbourne (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Osborne) - Hyde Park Knights JFC

Danny Rose - (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Rose_(footballer,_born_1990) - Barnby Dun JFC

Nudga

• Forum Member
I've played against Ian Snodin, what a class act he was. Also played against kev Noteman and a few ex lower league players who's names escape me now.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
The best I have played against was probably Michael Coulson, who has played for Scarborough, Grimsby and York City. I'm not sure where he plays now. It was in the under 11's and I think he was 8 and he was still the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Also played against Dave Penny on Belle View. There used to be an organised kick about on there after the last game of the season every year, and I always got to join in.

wing commander

• Forum Member
When I was in the Navy we often arranged games against teams from the next port we were in...Normally on a local park...We were in Sweden and had a game against a local side..We rocked up hungover and were shocked to find it was in a proper Stadium against a Swedish league 2 side....They ran us absolutely ragged and we were throwing up after ten minutes...They were quite confused as lost in translation they thought we were professionals for a behind closed doors friendly rather than a bunch of pissed up sailors..lol

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
I played for England Vs Algeria in SIDI BEL ABESS in 1985 ( ok it was local side V expats working on Gendarmerie National project ).

But i have played in the past against

Kevin Keegan
Malcolm Webster
Brian Turner.

Oh and a guy called Eric Roe from Fishlake, Man U wanted him, as did Arsenal, But was war time, so he ended up playing in the forces. when i played against him he was well over 55, but still had some silky skills.

Just as a matter of fact, he was my uncle
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:04:30 pm by Wild Rover »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
I played for England Vs Algeria in SIDI BEL ABESS in 1985 ( ok it was local side V expats working on Gendarmerie National project ).

But i have played in the past against

Kevin Keegan
Malcolm Webster
Brian Turner.

Not against but played in same secondary school team as Mal Webster.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
The best I have played against was probably Michael Coulson, who has played for Scarborough, Grimsby and York City. I'm not sure where he plays now. It was in the under 11's and I think he was 8 and he was still the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Also played against Dave Penny on Belle View. There used to be an organised kick about on there after the last game of the season every year, and I always got to join in.

I can top that last one - I also played in one of those when I was probably 14/15, and DP was in goal for the opposition. I was one on one and went to put it round him, but somehow managed to get my foot under it and lob him. Straight into the goal. Even more remarkably it somehow didn't look like a mishit, and everyone thought it was a cracking goal!

Never played against anyone decent at football, but I did bat against Tim Bresnan when at school.

donnydanny

• Forum Member
Best player played against was Stephen Taylor, newcastle centre half. He was head and shoulders above everyone.
Played with Ricky Ravenhill, Ben Muirhead, Darrius Henderson, Lee Beavers.

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
Fortunately I can beat the lot of you, I have played with Laurie Sheffield in the Retro Rovers walking football team  :). (Still  a lot better player  than me)

idler

• VSC Member
Played against Kevin Keegan and Morgan Hunt in Donny Sunday League.
There were a few other ex-league players, I think that they were called K permit players I think in those days.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member

I can top that last one - I also played in one of those when I was probably 14/15, and DP was in goal for the opposition. I was one on one and went to put it round him, but somehow managed to get my foot under it and lob him. Straight into the goal. Even more remarkably it somehow didn't look like a mishit, and everyone thought it was a cracking goal!

Never played against anyone decent at football, but I did bat against Tim Bresnan when at school.

I never played football with or against anyone who made it in the professional game, although when at college I used to take part in lunchtime kickabouts with the tennis player Jeremy Bates. He was a better footballer than the rest of us put together.

Played cricket with and against a few first class and even Test players though.

Scooter

• VSC Member
I played against Colin Douglas in Sunday league

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Played against Andy Butler. I dominated him to be fair. Ben Muirhead was good.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Played WITH Mark Atkins for Hatfield Chance at u15/u16 level. He was a class above. Big lad even then. We had some team in our u16 season. Played against Rovers first team back in the late  80s/early 90s in a few end of season games for the supporters' team at OBV. They toyed with us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
The biggest names I played against were Chris Waddle and Frank Worthington.
My highest level as a player was tier five.
As a 17 year old I remember getting on as a late sub for my debut and the ex England number nine, Ray Charnley was on the pitch playing for Morecambe.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
When I was in the Navy we often arranged games against teams from the next port we were in...Normally on a local park...We were in Sweden and had a game against a local side..We rocked up hungover and were shocked to find it was in a proper Stadium against a Swedish league 2 side....They ran us absolutely ragged and we were throwing up after ten minutes...They were quite confused as lost in translation they thought we were professionals for a behind closed doors friendly rather than a bunch of pissed up sailors..lol

The said pub team in oslo that I was in have played against various navy football teams when they was docked in the harbor.

Every time we played against the navy the team would give us a plague that was tied to the ship .

I have the  HMS Illustrious plague at home up on me wall .that was a aircraft carrier for those that are not sea worthy.

can't recall what navy ship it was but we had them down the pub for the weekend and the only framed football shirt that went missing from the pub wall was my signed doncaster rovers shirt.

I had no issue with it been taken as whoever took it deserves it in my book

idler

• VSC Member
As a 17 year old I remember getting on as a late sub for my debut and the ex England number nine, Ray Charnley was on the pitch playing for Morecambe.

Who were you playing for against Morecombe hound?
I remember Ray Charnley scoring a hat trick for Blackpool against Man U in the League Cup in the mid sixties.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
I played against ex Barnsley player Rory Prendergast he was a really good player he scored four of the eight goals we conceded, i scored one of our consolations.

donnyoddlegs

• Forum Member
 :saywhat:I've played hopscotch with Andy Rhodes, very competitive player kicked my arse everytime

drfchound

• Forum Member

Who were you playing for against Morecombe hound?
I remember Ray Charnley scoring a hat trick for Blackpool against Man U in the League Cup in the mid sixties.

Goole Town mate, it would have been 1970 ish.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
I "think" Kevin Keegan if he went to Armthorpe Mere Lane and was in the team that drew 3-3 against Stainy? Our Birthdays are just a few days apart

He may have noticed a defence splitting pass from the Stainy Right Half through to their speedy Centre Foward though the Right Half did not notice him !

He probably got all 3 goals or went to a different School !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Played against Kevin Keegan and Morgan Hunt in Donny Sunday League.
There were a few other ex-league players, I think that they were called K permit players I think in those days.

I read your post with interest and the K permit thing in particular . I kept thinking it was not quite right but v v close for some reason. Took me ages to remember they were actually called Permit K s !

I need a lie down .... and I have only just got up !

Capmeister

• Forum Member
I have a five a side knockabout most Sundays with my mates. We used have this bloke Bez play..............not the Happy Mondays bloke and he was pretty special. Turns out he was in the Iranian national squad that played in Argentina in 1978. I don't think he played a competitive game in the tournament but ended up on trial with Spurs but they signed Villa and Ardilles

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
There will be some on here that played in the last game at Belle Vue - Brian Makepeace's testimonial.  Its not quite the same as having played at a particular level but it was one hell of a one-off experience.  Cyrille Regis did me for pace, Colin Douglas flattened me and I took John Buckley out twice before I tried to block a Mark Rankine cross that was so hard it ripped the sole off my boot.

nightporter

• VSC Member
I stuck a few past Mark Samways at Intake Middle School late 70's

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
I tried drinking with Dougie once , ended badly

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
There will be some on here that played in the last game at Belle Vue - Brian Makepeace's testimonial.  Its not quite the same as having played at a particular level but it was one hell of a one-off experience.  Cyrille Regis did me for pace, Colin Douglas flattened me and I took John Buckley out twice before I tried to block a Mark Rankine cross that was so hard it ripped the sole off my boot.

I played in that, got taken out by Lee Warren....never meet your hero.

I was marking Richard O Kelly when he stopped me, we were near the benches, he told me we were on the exact spot where his career ended, broken leg playing for Walsall against us, he never recovered to play.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Had many a kick around with a lad who'll be wanting to stick a few past Arsenal this weekend. Jono Margetts.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Every time we played against the navy the team would give us a plague that was tied to the ship.

You must've become pretty disease-addled after a few years of this. Think I'd have skipped out on the invite back to the pub.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012