Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:56:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What's the highest standard of football or opponent you have played against.  (Read 7053 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Every time we played against the navy the team would give us a plague that was tied to the ship.

You must've become pretty disease-addled after a few years of this. Think I'd have skipped out on the invite back to the pub.

LOL, that reminds me of a classic line from Only Fools and Horses "Jolly Boys Outing film".
Del boy asked Denzil "How is your disease Denzil" when he was trying to book the last remaining room in Margate.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Billy Bremner for Rovers Juniors v Leeds in Northern Intermediate League 1959.

RedJ

• Forum Member
Had many a kick around with a lad who'll be wanting to stick a few past Arsenal this weekend. Jono Margetts.

Did they manage to get him back on loan? I remember he went to Scunny and it didn't really work out.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
Had to mark Jack Lewis in a Sunday League game once. We lost 6-4 and he scored a hat-trick so you can guess how that went.

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
Cyril Regis & the Snodin brothers in the Brian Makepeace testimonial at Belle Vue.

Cyril Regis - Amazing strength

Snodin brothers - didn't miss a pass, unreal movement (even when jogging/walking)

Tied me in knots.

Bezza

• Forum Member
played with Mick Bates for Bentley Vics in the Yorkshire league shortly after he had finished with Leeds United , also Kevin Keegan in his time with the Lonsdale.

Al4475

• VSC Member
I played against Derby County old boys about 2002(ish) they consisted of a fair few of the Derby lads that played in the semis(?) Of the European cup - Kevin Hector was the one name I really knew but they also had Phil Gee up top who did the rounds in the Midlands for Derby and Leicester (certainly) in the late 85/early 90s! Played against several ex-pros in the o-35s league over the last 2-3 years and also played against Craig Nelthorpe in Sunday prem last season!

There was a lad in my uni team who played against Bayern Munich in the European cup for one of the Welsh league winners (maybe cwmbran or Barry) and another lad in my uni team was ex-england schoolboy captain! I actually took the number 1 slot at uni in the first team for a while from the guy who a the time was the then current n-ireland u-21 keeper - which was really bizarre as I thought he was an amazing keeper!

andysly

• VSC Member
Biggest name played against was Kevin Hector in Central Midlands League, he must've been well into his 40's but decent.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
Best player played against was Stephen Taylor, newcastle centre half. He was head and shoulders above everyone.
Played with Ricky Ravenhill, Ben Muirhead, Darrius Henderson, Lee Beavers.

Taylor was in my school team ( I was manager not playing) and he was quality. Great lad too. Not big on brains but would always put school games before his Academy commitments, be it cricket, basketball, athletics or whatever.
Played him in my u15 area team  a year up as a left winger and he was a handful there. Came back to school quite a few times, as recently as last year, to take part in exhibition games. Got in trouble for playing in a staff match under Bobby Robson. Tried to keep,it quiet but him and other ex pupils Peter Ramage and as I recall Ben Smith were playing and about 500 kids mobbed the touch line.

I was frightened to death of even touching the ball for fear of making a mistake that I would be getting abuse around the corridors for weeks after.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Had many a kick around with a lad who'll be wanting to stick a few past Arsenal this weekend. Jono Margetts.

Did they manage to get him back on loan? I remember he went to Scunny and it didn't really work out.

Yeah he signed the other week. He was at Crewe for a short while as well. He got himself a move to Scunny after he bagged 4 in 1 game for Lincoln. Scored once for Scunny v Charlton in the check a trade trophy.

Al4475

• VSC Member
I know Ben Muirhead quite well (in that I have a pint with him every now again) he's hopefully gonna try and start playing again soon - for my Sunday morning team - sadly he never quite reached his potential which he regrets!

A few people I know think he's a bit of a cock but always found him a real nice guy!

RedRover45

• Forum Member
Was once holidaying in the Maldives when their national team was training on a pitch on Meerufenfushi Island where we were. After watching them a couple of times and half heartedly pestering them, we were amazed when they agreed to give us a game if we could get a team together. Managed to get a team of English and German holidaymakers together and then proceeded to beat them and I managed to score twice. Never forgotten it and dined out on the story for years after.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
I played against Alan Murray - the Rovers midfielder of the 1970's

Mind you it was on a squash court, and I beat him.  :silly:

idler

• VSC Member
Played against Willie (Grahame) Watson plenty of times at Oswin Ave school.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
I played against Alan Murray - the Rovers midfielder of the 1970's

Mind you it was on a squash court, and I beat him.  :silly:

Was that because you were good or that he could not get around you to play any shots !

(Sorry ... anything for a cheap joke)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Played against Willie (Grahame) Watson plenty of times at Oswin Ave school.

Actually that reminded me of playing against him too. I knocked about with a couple of Balby lads when at Danum and we used to have kick abouts in a Park there.

All I remember was it had a big slope (was tarmac I think) and what I always thought was a kind of Bus Stop that formed one of the Goals at the top of the slope - but of course no Buses came anywhere near. No idea where it was - Idler ?

Also I remember Grahame Watson who of course was very good !

idler

• VSC Member
The park doesn't ring a bell Wolfy.
I used to play at Westfield park  (Fishers Park) on Balby Rd.
We used to play in the dip between two slopes. There was a big brick shelter at the top.
Sometimes played on the school fields at Sandford Rd. as well.
Spent hours playing and it didn't cost a penny.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
That sounds like the place. I will look it up on Google Maps

idler

• VSC Member
It's not far from Peglers chimney Wolfy.
It used to have a big stone wall at the top end.
This was replaced by a metal fence when they widened Balby Road about 1962.
There were swings and slides at the top of the slope towards Balby Rd.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Played against Mike Elwiss, in the Doncaster Intermediate League. For the record the result was 1-1, he scored their goal and I scored ours.

Played in a Uni 5 a side tournament with a lad who had signed for Burnley (can't remember his name) but he was simply the best player I have ever had the pleasure of playing alongside. We got beat in the final but this lad almost won it for us on his own.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012