Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:38:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The budget next season  (Read 24821 times)

Yargo

• Forum Member
Re: The budget next season
« Reply #150 on June 11, 2018, 11:48:18 am by Yargo »
Here's this fella from early Feb 17

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-big-promotion-budget-if-millers-go-down-says-stewart-1-8378385

"The budget next season in League One would be one of the top four again".

Guess where they finished

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on June 11, 2018, 12:14:43 pm by Cantley Rover »

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-big-promotion-budget-if-millers-go-down-says-stewart-1-8378385

And look how much of his own money he has put into the club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on June 11, 2018, 12:42:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I suspect however you beat the drum about what you perceive to be under funding, it ain't going to change anytime soon.

If you feel your approach would be so much more beneficial for all concerned why not e-mail the club or save it for the 'Meet the Owners' event and challenge TB directly?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #153 on June 11, 2018, 12:58:18 pm by silent majority »

Don't you mean how much of his money has he loaned RUFC? A significant difference.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on June 11, 2018, 01:00:58 pm by silent majority »
If our owners have to put 2 million quid in the pot to keep us afloat don't you think we're in financial difficulty already?

How are we in financial difficulty?  We have no debt, at all. We pay our bills on time and honour our commitments.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on June 11, 2018, 01:22:02 pm by pib »
If our owners have to put 2 million quid in the pot to keep us afloat don't you think we're in financial difficulty already?

This is what makes me laugh with some of the sustainable club comments on this forum. So the directors put in £2m a year to make the club sustainable. Wouldn't the club be even more sustainable if they put in £5m for example.
I will now sit back and wait for all the "Well you put the extra money in" comments.
Ambition? Huh.

Depends how much risk the owners want to take.

One form of potential longer-term sustainability would be "pump priming" the club with a few extra million a year for a while, hoping the club gets into the Championship, hope it stays there and does reasonably well, attracts the next generation of fans with a successful team and cheap(er) tickets/season tickets and an amazing matchday experience, and hoping that will boost the club to the next level by the time they come to sell it.

Obviously that would increase the short-to-medium term risks and potentially threaten future sustainability so it's a tightrope.

They are taking the slower and more cautious approach, which is laudable and of course completely up to them.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on June 11, 2018, 01:43:43 pm by Cantley Rover »

Don't you mean how much of his money has he loaned RUFC? A significant difference.

Well he must be really niaive then to have loaned his club £30m over 6 years with very little hope of getting it back.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:49:04 pm by Cantley Rover »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on June 11, 2018, 01:50:01 pm by RedJ »
You said it.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on June 11, 2018, 02:03:54 pm by Cantley Rover »
You said it.

What a surprise. I just knew who would be the first to react.
I guess the difference is though he is a Rotherham fan.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on June 11, 2018, 02:07:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

This is what makes me laugh with some of the sustainable club comments on this forum. So the directors put in £2m a year to make the club sustainable. Wouldn't the club be even more sustainable if they put in £5m for example.
I will now sit back and wait for all the "Well you put the extra money in" comments.
Ambition? Huh.

No they don't. They put £2 million in because the club isn't sustainable. Sustainable means the club generating all its own revenue and not having to rely on very generous people bailing them out year after year. The current board are trying to get DRFC sustainable to safeguard they future when they aren't there to plug the gap any more.

What makes me laugh are comments about being a sustainable club by people who don't understand what 'sustainable' means.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:11:37 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on June 11, 2018, 02:11:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Well he must be really niaive then to have loaned his club £30m over 6 years with very little hope of getting it back.

It still means RUFC have debts of £30m on their books.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on June 11, 2018, 02:12:16 pm by Cantley Rover »

Ambition? Huh.

No they don't. They put £2 million in because the club isn't sustainable. Sustainable means the club generating all its own revenue and not having to rely on very generous people bailing them out year after year. The current board are trying to get DRFC sustainable to safeguard they future when they aren't there to plug the gap any more.

What makes me laugh iare comments about being a sustainable club by people who don't understand what 'sustainable' means.

I know exactly what sustainable means.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on June 11, 2018, 02:14:25 pm by Cantley Rover »

And guess who the club is in debt to? Tony Stewart. just in case you didn't know. He is the bloke who lent them £30 duh

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on June 11, 2018, 02:15:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So how does putting £2m in make the club sustainable then? If the club were sustainable no-one would need to put any money in at all!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on June 11, 2018, 02:16:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

And guess who the club is in debt to? Tony Stewart. just in case you didn't know. He is the bloke who lent them £30 duh

I know that. And when he sells the club does £30m of debt disappear from RUFC's acounts? Duh.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on June 11, 2018, 02:19:16 pm by Cantley Rover »

I know that. And when he sells the club does £30m of debt disappear from RUFC's acounts? Duh.

Do you really think he would be able to sell the club for £30m and get his money back?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on June 11, 2018, 02:23:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
When you've got £30m of debts on your books it makes it much easier to end up in administration. And I believe they count against the club under FFP rules.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:26:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on June 11, 2018, 02:43:30 pm by Cantley Rover »

When you've got £30m of debts on your books it makes it much easier to end up in administration. And I believe they count against the club under FFP rules.
   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on June 11, 2018, 02:54:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Go on then, answer this one - if he really doesn't care about the money, why doesn't he do what our board do instead of leaving it as debt on the club's books?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on June 11, 2018, 02:55:37 pm by Cantley Rover »
Go on then, answer this one - if he really doesn't care about the money, why doesn't he do what our board do instead of leaving it as debt on the club's books?

I can no more answer for him than answer for our board.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on June 11, 2018, 02:59:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I wasn't asking you to answer for him. I was asking what you think.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on June 11, 2018, 03:04:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »

How are we in financial difficulty?  We have no debt, at all. We pay our bills on time and honour our commitments.

SM, surely the owners wouldn't have to subsidize the club to the tune of 2 million quid if it wasn't in financial difficulty. It certainly doesn't seem to run in a self-sustaining manner if it's being topped-up to pay the debts.

My suggestion is that the sooner the club reaches a sustainable Championship level the better off financially it will be, and perhaps more financially self- sustaining. Of course, this will need more financial investment initially before it bears fruit.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on June 11, 2018, 03:05:08 pm by Cantley Rover »

Read what you posted. What I think is irrelevant. What the Rotherham chairman does is his concern. As it is with the DRFC directors.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on June 11, 2018, 03:05:26 pm by NickDRFC »
Glyn - he might well convert his debt to equity. For several years we owed Bramall and Watson a large amount before they converted it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on June 11, 2018, 03:07:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Read what you posted. What I think is irrelevant. What the Rotherham chairman does is his concern. As it is with the DRFC directors.

I'll bear that in mind in future.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on June 11, 2018, 03:09:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Glyn - he might well convert his debt to equity. For several years we owed Bramall and Watson a large amount before they converted it.

That's true, but from what I remember they couldn't do it whilst JR also owned a third of the club for some reason.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on June 11, 2018, 03:09:47 pm by Cantley Rover »

I'll bear that in mind in future.

I actually think BB sums it up pretty well. But that means putting extra money in which you seem to be totally against.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #177 on June 11, 2018, 03:17:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I agree with the target of being a sustainable Championship club but I don't agree with being foolhardy with the club's future and not being certain of being sustainable once you get there - there's certainly no guarantee of it. The club are taking the time to try to make the club more self-sufficient along the way and not putting it further in to hock, which is a more sensible option to me. We've already lost one of the Keepmoat Two, what would happen if we suddenly lost the other one?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on June 11, 2018, 03:39:02 pm by silent majority »

SM, surely the owners wouldn't have to subsidize the club to the tune of 2 million quid if it wasn't in financial difficulty. It certainly doesn't seem to run in a self-sustaining manner if it's being topped-up to pay the debts.

My suggestion is that the sooner the club reaches a sustainable Championship level the better off financially it will be, and perhaps more financially self- sustaining. Of course, this will need more financial investment initially before it bears fruit.

BB, let me emphasise, the club isn't in financial difficulty in any shape or form.

However the board of directors choose to operate at this level which means they are subsidising the club to the tune of £2m per season. But it's a choice, not a necessity.

One of the major reasons for doing so is because the off field activities and the commercial operating arm of Club Doncaster are doing exceptionally well. There will come a time shortly where their input will not be needed, and to be honest that could happen now if required, but it's not.

Terry has always insisted that he would hand the club over, debt free, to someone else if that person could do a better job than him. He doesn't want his money back, but until that person comes along he'll carry on doing what he's doing.

I don't see any downside to that, and believe me, in this game that's a rarity.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on June 11, 2018, 03:55:56 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Thanks, SM, I didn't know that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012