Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:45:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Realistic Replacements for Billy  (Read 4394 times)

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
Realistic Replacements for Billy
« on January 09, 2012, 10:18:02 am by Wade Falana »
Who would you like to see us try and get? I'll start the ball rolling...

Martyn Waghorn (Leicester)
Andy Bishop (Bury)
Billy Kee (Burton)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Realistic Replacements for Billy
« Reply #1 on January 09, 2012, 10:32:20 am by Chris Black come back »
No way in 20 lifetimes will we be able to pay wages that Waghorn will be on.

Other two are vaguely affordable but unlikely I would have thought on a permanent contract.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 09, 2012, 10:33:34 am by dickos1 »
Think waghorn went to hull on loan and then subsequently got injured. Pearson seems to be a massive fan of his. The guy bamogo who we've got is very good, different level to Bagayoko,

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 09, 2012, 10:34:07 am by ctay »
Well as DS said he wont get the money to spend. I suspect his replacements are already here in Bagosummut and Umbongo or whatever the names are. Maybe we will get another five players in from little Willie.

I thought Waghorn, but he is injured apparently.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 09, 2012, 10:34:48 am by inSODwetrust »
I heard a rumour other day we're after Matt Tubbs of Crawley Town. Crawley Town have a bit of money though so wages might be the old stumbling block.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 09, 2012, 10:36:50 am by dickos1 »
We can't afford that, they want over a million for him

Keith Myath

« Reply #6 on January 09, 2012, 11:05:29 am by Keith Myath »
Quote from: \"ctay\" post=210373
Well as DS said he wont get the money to spend. I suspect his replacements are already here in Bagosummut and Umbongo or whatever the names are. Maybe we will get another five players in from little Willie.

Its Bamogo & Bagayoko, to be fair they didnt have to come to DRFC and while fans are keen to ridicule them and wish there downfall its hardly going to help. As poor as Bagayoko looked on saturday it was his first game in the country, looking at both their stats they were never going to be Lionel Messi from the start but im happy to give them a go, and not attack the players, McKay or Saunders for doing so.

Although I doubt this was your intention, calling someone Umbongo, probably isnt the most tactful use of the english language. If i were black and/or African i may have well taken exception to your point.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 09, 2012, 11:26:15 am by AbsolutDRFC »
In terms of \"not getting the money to spend\", of course we're going to play it down.....

If clubs think we've got between £1.8m to £3m (minus sell on clause & tax) to splash about, then any player we enquire about will see their value rise (and we waste money as a result).

The club needs to send messages out to other clubs that we don't have spare cash.

Some of our fans need to be a bit more thoughtful and read between the lines instead of taking every word literally.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 09, 2012, 11:38:45 am by Chris Black come back »
The only figure that matters is that we budget each year for a loss of circa. £3m. Until someone comes up with a viable solution for this being filled then we will have to reduce our wage bill considerably and plug the gap with player sales.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 09, 2012, 11:39:24 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I love how people are implying Bamogo isn't good enough.  Someone at the game said to me on Saturday why are we signing crap like him?  My question to them is have they ever seen him play?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 09, 2012, 11:49:19 am by eastender »
Bamogo , a touch of Billy about him.

Can't wait to see his goal celebration , just hope i don't have to wait to long .

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_26rhcy824E[/video]

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 09, 2012, 12:06:25 pm by ditch_drfc »
I wondered a while ago about Billy Kee, I would've thought a higher placed team would take a punt on him

stoxy001

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 09, 2012, 12:12:47 pm by stoxy001 »
i thought jordan rhodes, but I reckon he'll bypass the championship.

i'm interested to see how Bamogo & Bagayoko go, Bagayoko looked a bit short of fitness the other day, but lets give him a chance.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 09, 2012, 12:25:14 pm by ctay »
Quote from: \"Keith Myath\" post=210391
Quote from: \"ctay\" post=210373

Its Bamogo & Bagayoko, to be fair they didnt have to come to DRFC and while fans are keen to ridicule them and wish there downfall its hardly going to help. As poor as Bagayoko looked on saturday it was his first game in the country, looking at both their stats they were never going to be Lionel Messi from the start but im happy to give them a go, and not attack the players, McKay or Saunders for doing so.

Although I doubt this was your intention, calling someone Umbongo, probably isnt the most tactful use of the english language. If i were black and/or African i may have well taken exception to your point.

Ok, take your point. Didnt mean to cause any offence. I hope they both prove to be great signings. To be fair most of Mckay's boys have been ok.

I am told that was Bagayoko's first game in six months!

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 09, 2012, 12:28:53 pm by Petche »
We need to realistically shop at league 2 level at best!
Billy Kee is a good shout as is Matt Tubbs but if Crawley want 1m then that obviously rules us out.
A couple more suggestions are Vardy at Fleetwood or what about Billy Clarke from Blackpool, apparently on his way back to the Blades and did really well there so not fancied by Blackpool.
One thing is for sure we need to develop someone from the lower leagues or someone out of favour at our level.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 09, 2012, 12:46:31 pm by Petche »
Another one to think about is Luke Murphy at Crewe, never heard of him until i saw his two goals at the weekend. Two very confident strikes!

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 09, 2012, 12:52:37 pm by rtid88 »
We could only sign Billy Kee on loan anyway as he has already played for 2 clubs this season and I would have thought it would have to be a sizeable loan fee to make Burton interested in letting him go, which I can't see our board going for!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 09, 2012, 12:53:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
Yep, unless we can find another 2-3k of people walking the streets in Doncaster every other Saturday with 27 quid burning a hole in their pocket, then Willie's boys are what we have like it or not.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 09, 2012, 12:54:51 pm by rtid88 »
Charlton already apparently offered £1million for Yardy and Blackpool weighing up a bid, so thats another one out the window!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 09, 2012, 12:55:28 pm by Chris »
Quote from: \"Petche\" post=210414
Another one to think about is Luke Murphy at Crewe, never heard of him until i saw his two goals at the weekend. Two very confident strikes!

He's a midfielder who has scored six goals in over seventy League Two games. Lets hope that DS/WM put more thought into Sharp's replacement!

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 09, 2012, 12:57:30 pm by rtid88 »
I think Andy Bishop would be totally out of his depth in the Championship as well IMO!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 09, 2012, 01:02:49 pm by eastender »
I think you'll find we've already got Billy's replacement on board , until the end of the season anyway .

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 09, 2012, 01:17:53 pm by donnybez »
Quote from: \"Petche\" post=210414
Nick Powell, Danny Shelley and Ben Garrett anybody?

paddymacca

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 09, 2012, 01:18:33 pm by paddymacca »
I think peoples judgments on Bagayoko and bamogo are well over the top as they they have barely touched the keepmoat pitch yet. Bagayoko i thought on saturday looked tense and maybe tried a little to hard but it was his first game in a new country and his first match for a while by all accounts.

They both have decent stats at a decent level, well above the level Rovers currently play at and i'm sure, when there match fitness improves and they get use to the way the boys play, they will be fine and do well for us.

On the realistic replacement for Billy, Jamie Vardy at Fleetwood town seems to be turning some heads. Wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, surely, and he's a sheffield lad as well.

I think we need to be realistic in the sense that we are struggling to cope in this very difficult league, and maybe the best way to approach this is to go down, rebuild and comeback stronger.

League 2 and non-league players could be the way to go. Look at the likes of Eastwood, McClean, Kightly etc

paddymacca

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 09, 2012, 01:25:06 pm by paddymacca »
Another avenue of course is the Youth team. We have just signed that young striker from Rangers, Sam McMahon and he is supposed to be a good young prospect.

Also the Scottish leagues. There can be a few bargains north of the boarder. I know Shiels wasn't exactly the greatest success but it doesn't mean we can't find someone else up there.

No matter what happens this season, I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Rovers are in the middle of  a transitional period. We need to accept that the club want to try new ideas and a different approach by the management both on and off the field.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 09, 2012, 01:56:12 pm by Petche »
He's a midfielder who has scored six goals in over seventy League Two games. Lets hope that DS/WM put more thought into Sharp's replacement![/quote]

Please accept my apologies, i dont have hours of time to thoroughly research this!!

sheffieldROVER

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 09, 2012, 03:05:32 pm by sheffieldROVER »
Quote from: \"eastender\" post=210403
Bamogo , a touch of Billy about him.

Can't wait to see his goal celebration , just hope i don't have to wait to long .

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_26rhcy824E[/video]

gotta be honest im really looking forward to seeing bamogo play!  he looks class and from deans point of view hes a bit like kyle bennet but a striker!!!:scarf:

sheffieldROVER

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 09, 2012, 03:10:12 pm by sheffieldROVER »

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 09, 2012, 03:32:30 pm by benaldo »
Bamogo might just be a real find?! And let's face it, both he and bagayoko have played at a much higher level than this...and done well.

It's sad to see Billy go (which it looks like he is going to do) and I wish him all the best, but Bamogo might go on to be much, much better?

If it were up to me, I'd play Bamogo and Bagayoko together (after they get fit) and see how much Jordan Rhodes is going for - didn't he score 4 on Saturday, after scoring a hat-trick in the previous game? If he could be persuaded to come here, with all Mckays help, it might not be unrealistic?

Anyway, it's not time for tears yet, he hasn't left yet and in Bamogo we might just already have someone better? Who knows?

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 09, 2012, 03:47:27 pm by Derby Viking »
And there is always Diouf who we all seem to have forgotten too.....although no 18 month contract signed yet

TinyPortal © 2005-2012