Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:28:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Realistic transfer targets  (Read 3633 times)

aidanstu

• Forum Member
Realistic transfer targets
« on June 07, 2013, 06:20:27 pm by aidanstu »
This isn't a pop at anybody in particular but each possible signing that has been mentioned this preseason has been met with derision by some supporters who appear to be underwhelmed by the players being suggested.

To gage how reslistic the supporters views are who would people be happy with us bringing in considering the apparent restraints on budget?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Realistic transfer targets
« Reply #1 on June 07, 2013, 07:58:20 pm by RobTheRover »
Anyone better than what we have who is willing to come for less than we want to pay.

If what I've heard about Jose Baxter's wages is true then we can certainly offer him championship football and a handsome pay rise and not break the bank.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 07, 2013, 08:29:21 pm by eastender »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 07, 2013, 08:33:35 pm by RobTheRover »
Jay Tabb, Rory Delap and Lee Camp stand out, but virtually everyone any good on that list would cost more in wages than we will be willing to pay.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 07, 2013, 09:20:19 pm by andyst79 »
If we signed Messi some of these on here would find something negative to say about it. Some people are getting grand delusions that were a big club all of a sudden and we shouldn't be signing the likes of Lee Croft  or whoever & we can get a bigger manager than Dickov , well go follow the Blunts you'll fit in well.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 07, 2013, 09:57:28 pm by Filo »
If we signed Messi some of these on here would find something negative to say about it. Some people are getting grand delusions that were a big club all of a sudden and we shouldn't be signing the likes of Lee Croft  or whoever & we can get a bigger manager than Dickov , well go follow the Blunts you'll fit in well.

It would n't be hard to find a bigger manager he's only 4ft 10ins :)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 07, 2013, 10:05:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
My only concern with some names we have been linked with is that they are more injury prone than me and I have limited mobility in one leg a fractured foot and a broken toe. If they are less injured than that then ok.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 07, 2013, 10:38:55 pm by Viking Don »
Jay Tabb, Rory Delap and Lee Camp stand out, but virtually everyone any good on that list would cost more in wages than we will be willing to pay.

Lee Camp please. I know I was laughed outta site last time I mentioned him, but what has done since apart from a few appearances for Norwich? He's too good to be a number 2 or 3 there, and I'll say it again a keeper can make the difference between staying up or dropping back down again. Does he want first team football or just the money? If it's the latter then let him stew on the sidelines for the rest of his career. If he wants to play football then get him in, may be expensive but may be worth it long term.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:41:04 pm by Viking Don »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2013, 05:30:47 am by roversdude »
Ian Harte for a season, best set piece delivery I have seen when we played Reading last at KMS

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2013, 06:28:17 am by andyst79 »
It's so he can Flynns old track suit Filo!

mina75

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2013, 08:10:49 am by mina75 »
Anyone who can improve the current squad. I'm fine with people like Jose Baxter being mentioned but i hope we don't go to Oldham for too many players such as the likes of Croft, lets face they only just survived relagation last season.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2013, 10:08:07 am by aidanstu »
Anyone who can improve the current squad. I'm fine with people like Jose Baxter being mentioned but i hope we don't go to Oldham for too many players such as the likes of Croft, lets face they only just survived relagation last season.

Because they had lee croft? Another way of looking at it is they avoided relegation because they had him.
Would you tell all premier league clubs not to buy any QPR stock including Julio ceser because they got relegated?

Looking back to when we avoided relegation to the conference would you said to any league 1 side avoid Darren Moore and Collin Cramb because the team nearly got relegated. Sorry it's a ridiculous argument.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2013, 10:17:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What about the Rovers side that won 47 points in 65 games in the Championship from Jan11/May12?

Didn't stop Billy Sharp, Jimmy O'Connor, George Friend, Simon Gillett being picked up by other Championship sides.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2013, 10:44:51 am by Dutch Uncle »
What about the Rovers side that won 47 points in 65 games in the Championship from Jan11/May12?

Didn't stop Billy Sharp, Jimmy O'Connor, George Friend, Simon Gillett being picked up by other Championship sides.

Or Sean O'Driscoll or Dean Saunders for that matter!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2013, 11:25:21 am by mrfrostsdad »
Andyst, I son't think anyone has delusions about us being a big club all of a sudden, what we all want is for us to sign better players than we have now, within our tight wage constraints.
I think a lot of people's opinions, mine included, is that bringing in players from another League 1 club that struggled all season, will not improve us overall.

Of course, if we have a different opinion we should go and support Sheffield United. Really?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2013, 05:49:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't get too hung up about where the players come from or what division they've been playing in. Experience tells us there are some good players out there who wouldn't break the bank and they would help to strengthen the team if we can gell them in.

One player I think will do well next season, as he offers something different than most other teams if we are brave enough to let him play freely, is David Syers.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2013, 06:02:09 pm by Mr1Croft »
Coppinger
Furman
Syers
Bennett

I seem to recall these players came from teams who were below us in the pyramid of football. In fact I remember the spirit when we signed Martin Woods from a relegated Rotherham, we all said it was a great signing and a coup.

El Hadji Diouf went on to play for Leeds despite playing in the DRFC side relegated from the Championship. The former club (or current club for some) is irrelevant as whether someone should be signed or not.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2013, 06:40:40 pm by andyst79 »
MrFrostsdad , tight wage constraints means that we have to look at players from divisions below, this doesn't necessarily mean they aren't any good and to suggest otherwise is extremely short sighted.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012