Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:41:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Realistic Expectation & The Threat from Others  (Read 5369 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Realistic Expectation & The Threat from Others
« on July 10, 2016, 09:23:38 am by Alan Southstand »
Team building I hope not quite completed yet and with a couple of top quality long loans I think we will be challenging.

BUT, who are going to be harbouring thoughts of automatic promotion this season? The obvious one is Portsmouth, but I think Plymouth will be very strong. Amongst the others, I reckon both Hartlepool and Mansfield will be up there. The others, I'm not sure about. Grimsby have gone all out and signed everything that's moved, as have Crawley. I nearly forgot Blackpool, but who knows how things will progress there. Crewe will no doubt unfurl a crop of very able youth teasers and could be up there as well.

Thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Realistic Expectation & The Threat from Others
« Reply #1 on July 10, 2016, 09:28:13 am by The Red Baron »
Difficult to say. Who would have had Burton and Walsall as promotion contenders in League One last season.

Portsmouth are the obvious danger, but until a few games have been played it will be difficult to say. Of the teams relegated from League One I would say we are in the best shape to bounce back.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 10, 2016, 09:29:24 am by Filo »
I expect and demand automatic promotion, there's three places up for grabs, anything less will be considered a failure by me

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 10, 2016, 10:07:00 am by ridgewoodrover »
I don't like putting my cash on the rovers , but they've featured e/w in all my bets along with the massive rusty blades . So that's a struggle against relegation then coming up  :rtid:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 10, 2016, 10:18:51 am by IDM »
I struggle with predictions, whatever our scenario..

I say the same as I always do.  I expect us to be competitive in every match, and to entertain and to score goals.

Do that enough, and we should be competing at the top end.  You may get a random team replicating Northampton but we should be strong.

I would expect this squad to be competing for the play offs at least, and to be capable of the top 3.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 10, 2016, 10:30:08 am by Nudga »
Team building I hope not quite completed yet and with a couple of top quality long loans I think we will be challenging.

BUT, who are going to be harbouring thoughts of automatic promotion this season? The obvious one is Portsmouth, but I think Plymouth will be very strong. Amongst the others, I reckon both Hartlepool and Mansfield will be up there. The others, I'm not sure about. Grimsby have gone all out and signed everything that's moved, as have Crawley. I nearly forgot Blackpool, but who knows how things will progress there. Crewe will no doubt unfurl a crop of very able youth teasers and could be up there as well.

Thoughts?

Youth teasers? Totally the wrong forum.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 10, 2016, 10:35:04 am by Retdon1 »
Plymouth have lost most of there better players from last season. Idd expect us, Portsmouth, Luton and Cambridge to challenge for the top 3 spots.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 10, 2016, 11:34:05 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Cracking name for a band.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 10, 2016, 11:56:59 am by swintonrover »
Plymouth have lost most of there better players from last season. Idd expect us, Portsmouth, Luton and Cambridge to challenge for the top 3 spots.

They've signed Goodwillie, he'll be class in League 2. Don't write them off.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 10, 2016, 12:14:46 pm by Retdon1 »

They've signed Goodwillie, he'll be class in League 2. Don't write them off.

The last 2 seasons playing in Scotland he has a scoring rate of a goal every 6 or so games so I wouldn't worrie too much about him.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 10, 2016, 12:34:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Carlisle have brought in some good players so will be up there with Cambridge, Luton and Pompey.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 10, 2016, 12:37:35 pm by Red wizard »
I think we will go up with or without DF at the helm. A bad start after 10-13 game will see him gone. I hope he is the man to get us up but any decent manager should get our squad up this coming season. I'm not been arrogant in saying that either.  I just look at us from a far and we are set up for l1 minimum now. Were not that club at obv anymore.  We will of had the cherry pick of players and will do with loans. I only see pompey as a team who could compete with us for players. Well they will get first pick us second.

darren61

« Reply #12 on July 10, 2016, 01:01:43 pm by darren61 »
Cracking name for a band.
Sounds like a Manics album.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 10, 2016, 01:22:59 pm by RoversAlias »
Not sure if Hartlepool will be up towards the top, Alan, but we'll see.

I don't disagree with any of the rest though.

They've made some eye-catching signings to be fair but yes, they have a long, long way to improve upon where they've been at the last few seasons.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 10, 2016, 04:03:36 pm by silent majority »
There's a lot of ownership problems at Crewe, can't see them doing well.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 10, 2016, 05:42:59 pm by RoversAlias »
Yes concur with you both. Crewe look a good bet for immediate relegation again at the present time.

Also agree on Hartlepool. Should be clear of trouble with players like Amond and Deverdics, but probably not up the top.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 10, 2016, 07:58:54 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes concur with you both. Crewe look a good bet for immediate relegation again at the present time.

Also agree on Hartlepool. Should be clear of trouble with players like Amond and Deverdics, but probably not up the top.

Some potentially good predictions on here and coincidentally I am considering a Competition featuring Division 2 predictions !

The Champs, 2nd, 3rd etc plus Relegated 2. Then Rovers Top scorer, Div 2s top scorer Rovers Goals Rovers Points so if I go for it then we you will all have chance to "shine"

Give me a few days and we will see if it has a future or its a boring Kitson ! In fairness it will NEVER be as bad as the real Kitson !

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 11, 2016, 12:01:24 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Crewe have been a mess for a while now, not enough money reinvested in players to replace those going out in the past. At the minute the 'Youth machine', that was churning them out, has got a dry joint on the electrics, so it's stopped working. I don't see them being a factor up the top.
Mansfield will take a bit of time to get over losing their best centre half,l see them dropping back a bit. Plymouth will be round about the play-offs. Hartlepool i also see being up there this season.
I don't think it's cut and dried that we do well this season, we have unknowns to contend with. Can the manager integrate the new players into the side?.

Are the players as good as we think?, i personally think they are, and we will start off with draws, hard to beat, then steadily pick up, hitting our best around christmas.
I would see us, Portsmouth, Wycombe, Carlisle and Hartlepool up in the top five. For me we still have areas needing strengthening, i see us needing another striker, midfielder, winger and defender, and maybe better back up for the goalkeeper.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 11, 2016, 07:53:20 am by Alan Southstand »
Mansfield havn't wasted anytime in replacing Tafazolli and its a good solid replacement for this level. My Mansfield supporting colleague is quietly optimistic for this season - they have been steadily building each season since they got back in the division.

Hartlepool, for me, have possibly one of the best managers in the division and were doing well towards the end of last season so if they can maintain that momentum, who knows?

Plymouth will be pushing very hard this season and, again, they have made some very solid acquisitions. Fair enough, they have lost a few, but they have been really busy in the market.

For me, we're not there yet and I sincerely hope we're not found wanting when it comes to rounding off what could be a very competitive squad. I don't think we need that much, but we do still lack in the midfield area and that was arguably our weakest part of the team last season. Pace and power still required and then a bit of Fergie glue to get them stuck together as a team.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 11, 2016, 09:21:48 am by NickDRFC »
I really don't understand why you consider the midfield to be weak. A midfield of McCullough, Rowe, Coppinger, McSheffrey and/or Blair is arguably the best in the division. Depth might be an issue but certainly the first choice midfield to me looks strong.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 11, 2016, 09:29:09 am by The Red Baron »
Keegan is more than adequate for this level. My big concern with him is getting him on the park. Middleton will also handle this league better, I think.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 11, 2016, 09:46:38 am by Retdon1 »
I think we need 1 more mid and a striker with pace. If we're playing 3 centre halfs then we would maybe need another centre half for cover.

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 11, 2016, 09:53:49 am by PopStander »
I think Carlisle are the surprise ones to watch, but us and Portsmouth are the ones everyone wants to beat, I think it'll come down to last game who finishes top!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 11, 2016, 10:37:17 am by Donnywolf »
Good call ....

Some potentially good predictions on here and coincidentally I am "trialling" a Competition featuring Division 2 predictions to see if it generates enough interest amongst the Punter / Experts on here

Predict The Champs, 2nd, 3rd etc plus Relegated 2. Then Rovers Top scorer, Div 2s top scorer Rovers Goals / Rovers Points so if interested see Thread "Division 2 - Who knew ?"

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 12, 2016, 01:41:38 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Add to the others i mentioned, Grimsby and Cheltenham, both will be stronger coming back into the league.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 12, 2016, 08:33:57 am by Alan Southstand »
Orient seem to be fancying their chances this season.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 12, 2016, 08:49:50 am by Mike_F »
I've got Orient as my dark horses for the title.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 12, 2016, 08:55:26 am by Mike_F »
Having looked at the odds available with a view to sticking a few quid on them it's hardly worth it. They're clearly being well backed as they're at tens on Skybet and 9.5 (8.5-1) on Betfair.

Our odds have shortened recently on Skybet too. 9-2 second favourites.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 12, 2016, 11:11:07 am by NickDRFC »
I'm surprised you'd consider Orient a dark horse. Underachieved last year an signed a few half decent players this summer.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 12, 2016, 11:51:26 am by Mike_F »
Aye, a dark horse inasmuch as everybody is talking up Pompey for the title with us and a few others sniffing around behind but I actually fancy the O's to win it and have put that down on Mr. Wolf's prediction thingy (which I still need to send back).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012