Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:27:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Reality  (Read 4224 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Reality
« on August 01, 2019, 11:58:37 am by dickos1 »
The reality is our starting 11 apart from striker is still very good.
We’ve got a new goalie who looks like an improvement the two new full backs in my opinion are an improvement on Blair and Andrews.
The midfield is strong with whiteman, sheaf, Blair/copps, Crawford, and then we’ve sadlier, Blair/ copps.
Add to that the likely signings of ward and Baptiste to bolster the squad.

We’re lacking two attacking players and a more dynamic midfielder.
If we get those in of the right quality along with the two players mentioned as back up I think we’re every much as strong as last season.

People are saying we’re going to get relegated etc, it’s just nonsense.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Reality
« Reply #1 on August 01, 2019, 12:08:42 pm by idler »
It's nice to see a positive post.
I'm as concerned about the team as anybody but surely this is our lowest point and it will only improve. We will strengthen and at least DM will be getting the players that he wants to suit his style.
Sometimes adversity brings out the best in players.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 01, 2019, 12:15:08 pm by Retdon1 »
In my opinion our current starting 11 is side that would finished around 14th-18th. I agree the GK, back 4 and central midfielder areas are stronger than last season, but we have zero goals in this side and take Copps out we have very little in attacking quality

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 01, 2019, 12:18:19 pm by Super Colin Cramb »
Hallelujah! Some positivity. We have improved in some areas and in the areas that require work, in DM we trust!
Regardless of the team we put out on Saturday I for one will be cheering the lads on.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 01, 2019, 12:19:52 pm by dickos1 »
Yes
But we are addressing the attacking areas of the side.
So if you think 8 out of the 11 players are stronger than last season and you know we’re chasing players now as we speak. Why are you so negative?
Marquis, Kane and Wilks need replacing
Let’s see who we get

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 01, 2019, 12:34:37 pm by Retdon1 »
Yes
But we are addressing the attacking areas of the side.
So if you think 8 out of the 11 players are stronger than last season and you know we’re chasing players now as we speak. Why are you so negative?
Marquis, Kane and Wilks need replacing
Let’s see who we get

It’s not a negative post it’s just me giving my honest opinion. I wouldn’t say 8/11 players are stronger. Whilst our back 4 as a whole is better, I wouldn’t say Anderson or Wright currently are an improvement on downing. And copps being another year older won’t be an improvement on his performances from last season.... I can’t comment on attacking options until we actually sign them. There is no guarantee that the players we bring in will be better than marquis and Wilkes. We have heard players are coming in for the last week or so now and still nothing. Until they do arrive we can only comment on what is here now.   

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 01, 2019, 12:38:45 pm by dickos1 »
You’ve just said the gk, back 4 and midfield areas are stronger than last season though?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2019, 12:39:29 pm by since-1969 »
It’s the day after the damp squid went off and I think it’s forward thinking that’s needed . News of how the squad are getting ready for the opening game would be nice to hear  as I’m sure Darren Moore would I’m have liked more time to prepare and less stress on loosing his main striker . Saturday’s game  isn't going to define the season but it could show how the players are taking to the new regime and probably a different style of play . 

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2019, 01:02:55 pm by Retdon1 »
You’ve just said the gk, back 4 and midfield areas are stronger than last season though?

Both full backs are an improvement, Anderson and butler are both about the same level, while downing for me currently is better than wright. So that’s 2 better, 1 the same and 1 less, hence why I said the back 4 as a whole is better, in my opinion. As it stands we don’t have 8/11 players who are better than the side of last season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 01, 2019, 01:08:40 pm by dickos1 »
I think this starting line up is good

Dieng

Halliday.  Wright.  Anderson.  James

Whiteman.  Sheaf.

Blair/new signing Copps. Sadlier.

May/new signing

You’ve still got on the bench
Crawford
Gomes
May
Ward?
Baptiste?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 01, 2019, 01:14:41 pm by redarmy82 »

Dieng

Whiteman.  Sheaf.

May/new signing

Crawford
Gomes
May
Ward?
Baptiste?

Assuming we sign anyone before saturday,

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 01, 2019, 01:17:25 pm by dickos1 »
If not it would be Blair and May like it says though.
Can handle that for one game,
But the basis of that team looks good to me

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 01, 2019, 01:46:59 pm by grayx »

Dieng

Whiteman.  Sheaf.

May/new signing

Crawford
Gomes
May
Ward?
Baptiste?

I see that midfield getting completely over run. Sheaf may well be needed to cover at centre half, depending on Wright, and god knows where the goals would come from. Neither May or Sadlier impress me.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 01, 2019, 01:54:02 pm by dickos1 »
Why would it be overrun?
Last year we played a lot of the season with whiteman, Crawford and then someone like Rowe or Blair and we didn’t get overrun.
We’ve got more players in the midfield this season so lot less likely to get overrun

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 01, 2019, 01:54:58 pm by Retdon1 »
Why would it be overrun?
Last year we played a lot of the season with whiteman, Crawford and then someone like Rowe or Blair and we didn’t get overrun.
We’ve got more players in the midfield this season so lot less likely to get overrun

I think your forgetting about Kane

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 01, 2019, 01:59:27 pm by RoversAlias »
Agree with your OP Dickos. I think the starting XI as it is currently can compete. We obviously need new players in but they will come, Darren Moore knows that. He referred to it as a "skeleton squad" on Monday so he isn't oblivious. Just need a bit more patience now Marquis has been sold.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 01, 2019, 02:00:21 pm by dickos1 »
Why would it be overrun?

I’m not,
He missed a decent part of the season through injury

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 01, 2019, 02:05:28 pm by Retdon1 »
Why would it be overrun?

I’m not,

He played 49 games for us last season including 38/46 in the league. Not sure how you can class that as missing large parts of the season.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 01, 2019, 02:06:02 pm by graingrover »
The dimension that is still the unknown to us of course is the Darren Moore  effect on the players he puts out .if they play with fire in their bellies without fear of expressing themselves ..as he preaches ..the fans will respond for sure.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 01, 2019, 02:06:34 pm by Retdon1 »
Agree with your OP Dickos. I think the starting XI as it is currently can compete. We obviously need new players in but they will come, Darren Moore knows that. He referred to it as a "skeleton squad" on Monday so he isn't oblivious. Just need a bit more patience now Marquis has been sold.

The time for patience has now gone. The season starts in 2 days

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 01, 2019, 02:13:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, and the reality is the season ends in 9 months. The transfer window closes early September.

If you listen to Paul Warne at Rotherham. They've lost 17 players and gained 9. Says they are short in certain areas and says a lot of managers are in the same boat and are trying to get deals over the line. Says a lot will happen once Champ deadline day passes.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 01, 2019, 02:13:53 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
That team will be fine for the first game or two. Everyone knows we need new players coming in...however there’s no point panic buying. I’d much rather DM takes a bit of time ensuring we buy the right players for the way he wants the team to play. I know it’s not a popular opinion but these things do take time. The preparations for the forthcoming season will have begun way before the end of last season but all that went up in smoke when GM left, consequently we’re in catch up mode. It’s not ideal but it is what it is, however the last thing we need to do is panic buy.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 01, 2019, 02:19:10 pm by RoversAlias »

The time for patience has now gone. The season starts in 2 days

And yet the transfer window has a full month to run, by which time only a handful of games will have passed. The season is not decided for any team by the end of August, and there's no guarantee we wouldn't win some of those games anyway.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 01, 2019, 02:26:39 pm by dickos1 »
Why would it be overrun?

I’m not,

He played 49 games for us last season including 38/46 in the league. Not sure how you can class that as missing large parts of the season.

And we signed Kane the day before the season started last season didn’t we? Yet you’re saying it’s too late now

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 01, 2019, 02:35:36 pm by Retdon1 »
Why would it be overrun?

I’m not,

And we signed Kane the day before the season started last season didn’t we? Yet you’re saying it’s too late now

Where have I said it’s too late now ? Also you haven’t addressed my point

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 01, 2019, 02:46:20 pm by Campsall rover »
The way Gomez played against Hull would make him a starter for me on Saturday

Dieng

Halliday
Wright / Baptiste ( if JW is not fit & Baptiste signs )
Anderson
James

Gomez
Whiteman
Sheaf
Sadlier

Copps

A.N.Other  Ward ( if he signs ) May or new signing ( if made in time )

Subs.
From Lawlor, Amos, Blaney, Crawford, Blair, Longbottom, Kyiwomya etc etc.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 01, 2019, 03:04:54 pm by dickos1 »
Why would it be overrun?

I’m not,

When you said the time for patience has gone

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 01, 2019, 03:17:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The OP is spot on assuming we sign Ward/Baptise that adds depth and then if we do get two strikers who are said to be good at this level we'll be in a decent place. Also all the deals we are talking about are permanent we can then still add loans from champ/prem clubs right until deadline. People should remember the season only starts v gillingham it doesn't end then.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 01, 2019, 03:19:23 pm by Retdon1 »
Why would it be overrun?

I’m not,

When you said the time for patience has gone

I was meaning that we have to start signing players now rather than have the opinion that the window doesn’t shut for another 4 weeks and we don’t need to rush. I didn’t say it was too late

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 01, 2019, 03:24:58 pm by Barmby Rover »
The jury has to be out at the moment, I never thought last season's squad would do as well as they did, there has been such a tectonic shift in this squad whether you are optimistic or not you have absolutely no idea about their potential, and neither do I! It will be interesting to see how it works out, they have been together for such a little time if they start firing immediately it would be surprising, but I like surprises.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012