Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:47:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trump and democracy  (Read 52760 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Trump and democracy
« Reply #630 on January 06, 2021, 10:03:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »
At the same time, it ups the ante for Trump. It means his cover now is absolutely blown. Be interesting to see what effect that has on the far-right paramilitaries who are demonstrating in Washington tonight.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #631 on January 06, 2021, 11:05:17 am by SydneyRover »
I'm still struggling to believe it, the grass roots campaigners must have worked their collective butts off.

It would be nice to see trump get a bit of comeuppance.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #632 on January 06, 2021, 11:30:07 am by ravenrover »
I see he is now putting the pressure on Pence to do"the right thing" and refuse to confirm the Biden victory today

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #633 on January 06, 2021, 11:44:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
That's Trump's last hope in terms of anything remotely resembling normal process.

There has been talk of him invoking the Insurrection Act if violence kicks off in Washington tonight, which would be...interesting.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #634 on January 06, 2021, 11:44:54 am by MachoMadness »
Quite remarkable if Dems flip both seats as the analysts expect. I wasn't expecting them to, but it seems the GOP politicking over the stimulus checks has done for them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #635 on January 06, 2021, 12:15:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quite remarkable if Dems flip both seats as the analysts expect. I wasn't expecting them to, but it seems the GOP politicking over the stimulus checks has done for them.

I'd say it's about far wider issues than that and offers a lot of hope for the future.

Partly it's Trump's insanity since losing the Election turning off some Republicans and motivating some Democrats to get out and vote. Probably moreso though, it's about previously disenfranchised blacks finally getting organised and getting their vote out in numbers. That has been a problem for decades. Many blacks in the Deep South have been disconnected from the democratic process, for all sorts of reasons. That is very troubling for American democracy and society and one thing Trump has done is to bring into clear view the fact that if blacks don't vote, they can end up with an unhinged racist in the White House. Across the country, blacks voted in unprecedented numbers in November. And I suspect that has rolled over into this Senate election. If that continues, it can only be good for American democracy.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #636 on January 06, 2021, 12:37:20 pm by MachoMadness »
Without doubt Stacy Abrams deserves a massive amount of credit for her work organising disenfranchised voters. And of course, there is a myriad of other factors that go into traditional deep red states swinging into (relatively) comfortable blue. I watched the Loeffler/Warnock debate because I hate myself, and it was a trainwreck for Loeffler. It's worth seeking out for just how bad she was. Take a shot every time she says "radical liberal Raphael Warnock" and you'll be on the floor within half an hour.

Despite all that, I do still think they would've stayed red had it not been for the stimulus checks becoming such a wedge issue this close to election time. It was the straw that broke the camel's back in my opinion, although I might be proved wrong by the polls later. McConnell is normally a canny operator but he really f**ked it with this one.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #637 on January 06, 2021, 06:52:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Trump supporters storming the Capitol building as the vote to confirm Biden's win commences.

Here we go...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #638 on January 06, 2021, 07:03:06 pm by Filo »
Trump supporters storming the Capitol building as the vote to confirm Biden's win commences.

Here we go...

Trump supporters are thick as f**k, they lose the election then all you hear is to result was fixed, they now storm the Capitol building and then say how do you know they are Trump supporters, well it’s no coincidence that Trump incited them to do this earlier today from behind his protective screen

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #639 on January 06, 2021, 07:27:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The mob is now inside the Capitol.

Gunshots and pipe bombs reported.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepElaineLuria/status/1346890833266683904

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #640 on January 06, 2021, 07:28:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is Trump's last throw of the dice. Full on anarchy.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #641 on January 06, 2021, 07:30:45 pm by Filo »

Could the new administration charge Trump with treason, inciting crimes against the constitution

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #642 on January 06, 2021, 07:33:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Assuming they actually get to take power then yes, they could.

The danger here is that the reports earlier in the week were true. Trump uses this as an excuse to impose martial law.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #643 on January 06, 2021, 07:39:50 pm by Filo »
Is it time for the Generals to step in and protect the constitution

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #644 on January 06, 2021, 08:18:35 pm by Filo »
All those Countries that America sent the military into in the name of democracy eh?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #645 on January 06, 2021, 08:26:55 pm by Filo »
We get blamed for some stuff we do

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #646 on January 06, 2021, 08:42:43 pm by wilts rover »
Lets hope they improve security for the inaguration or it will be a bloodbath.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #647 on January 06, 2021, 08:47:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's a question.

Assuming the authorities put this back in the can, then what?

How do you let Trump remain in power for another day? If he's unleashed this, what else will he do if not incarcerated?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #648 on January 06, 2021, 08:48:36 pm by selby »
  Makes you wonder what we should do with Grieve, Soubry, Starmer, Thornberry and the gang who went against a democratic vote in the United Kingdom for four and a half years doesn't it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #649 on January 06, 2021, 08:50:32 pm by Filo »
Here's a question.

Assuming the authorities put this back in the can, then what?

How do you let Trump remain in power for another day? If he's unleashed this, what else will he do if not incarcerated?

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Vice President can take over if the believe the president has gone mad, Trump has obviously made an enemy of Pence after today

25th amendment
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:04:22 pm by Filo »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #650 on January 06, 2021, 08:51:37 pm by River Don »
After this lot, Trump has shown himself to be no longer a part of the democratic process. He's a would be dictator.

They need to arrest him.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #651 on January 06, 2021, 08:53:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Not anarchy, it's to get the martial law/state of emergency.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #652 on January 06, 2021, 08:57:14 pm by tyke1962 »
The Trump legacy played out in front of the whole world live from a failed state .

Truly shocking scenes going on in DC .

The saddest thing about this is I'm not surprised .

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #653 on January 06, 2021, 09:04:17 pm by Janso »
  Makes you wonder what we should do with Grieve, Soubry, Starmer, Thornberry and the gang who went against a democratic vote in the United Kingdom for four and a half years doesn't it.

Yes they definitely incited armed groups to storm Parliament. Grow the f**k up and drop the shite WUM act.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #654 on January 06, 2021, 09:12:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Yes they definitely incited armed groups to storm Parliament. Grow the f**k up and drop the shite WUM act.

I can't help but wonder if he gets a masochistic kick out of looking like a complete arse all the time. :silly:

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #655 on January 06, 2021, 09:35:08 pm by Janso »

You may well be right Selby if we had US gun laws , even with my shocking eyesight I could have hit Thornberry's fat ass from 200 yards .

:thumbsup:

This is a disgraceful comment, particularly in the context of current events.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #656 on January 06, 2021, 09:39:13 pm by Ldr »

You may well be right Selby if we had US gun laws , even with my shocking eyesight I could have hit Thornberry's fat ass from 200 yards .

:thumbsup:

This is a disgraceful comment, particularly in the context of current events.

Funny though

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #657 on January 06, 2021, 09:42:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye about as funny as a re-run of The Comedians.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #658 on January 06, 2021, 09:48:44 pm by selby »
  If that lot had been in the US and not the UK, and if the Brexiteers had reacted differently to the insults and undermining of democracy that  that lot instigated and some of you lot took up the mantle of on here and social media sites, the same thing could have happened here.
   You lot and that lot pushed it to the limit here in in this country many ways.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #659 on January 06, 2021, 09:54:07 pm by MachoMadness »
Yeah it's definitely not the fault of the literal fascists at all. The people raising confederate flags in the Capitol bear no responsibility whatsoever.

You know an MP was literally shot in the street during the Brexit campaign, don't you?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012