Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 05:22:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Richard wood  (Read 15802 times)

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
Re: Richard wood
« Reply #30 on August 19, 2023, 07:48:55 pm by RoversInSpain »
Crosses again! We could have the best midfield in the world but when a team puts in an average cross into our box we are a 3 year shambles.
There’s two ways this is going to go for Woody, he realises lge 2 is actually pretty decent and he wakes up and becomes a force or it’s a Tomlin retirement job.
How is Younger doing? Olowu has to go, absolutely dreadful yet again with a geographic problem combined with a feet in concrete problem, absolutely dreadful defender and has been for a long time (defensive record will prove that)
Anderson, Wood when awake or a rejuvenated Younger plus Faulkner.
Please not Long. Quite frankly if it were remotely possible, I’d get rid of all the central defenders (barring Faulkner) and start again.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 19, 2023, 07:50:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
How on earth did he play in the championship last season??? He is shockingly bad
I wonder if it has owt to do with the players around him?

Just a coincidence that the only competive game we have won so far this season he wasn't playing then?
What on earth has that got to do with what I said?

It is an answer to your question. The best defensive performance so far this season has come in the only game Richard Wood wasn't playing.
The question was, "How on earth did he play in the championship last season??? He is shockingly bad."

I answered, "I wonder if it has owt to do with the players around him?"

What on earth has my suggestion that he might have been less vulnerable with better players around him got to do with a Rovers performance in which he never even played?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 19, 2023, 07:54:06 pm by wilts rover »
How on earth did he play in the championship last season??? He is shockingly bad
I wonder if it has owt to do with the players around him?

Just a coincidence that the only competive game we have won so far this season he wasn't playing then?
What on earth has that got to do with what I said?

It is an answer to your question. The best defensive performance so far this season has come in the only game Richard Wood wasn't playing.
The question was, "How on earth did he play in the championship last season??? He is shockingly bad."

I answered, "I wonder if it has owt to do with the players around him?"

What on earth has my suggestion that he might have been less vulnerable with better players around him got to do with a Rovers performance in which he never even played?

If you don't like the answer to the question being is Richard Wood looking bad because of the players around him being those players looked better when he wasn't playing - then that's your problem.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 19, 2023, 08:11:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It seems you're the one with the problem Wilts, that being you having to resort to switching forums in order to start an argument.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 19, 2023, 09:37:02 pm by selby »
  Faulkner is our best defender and a danger in the opposition's box from set pieces, and as my friend pointed out today, both goals he scored last season were first time shots not headers which is unusual for central defenders, he had a towering header at Northampton ruled out for a foul.
   Totally misused and ignored this season in spite of obvious problems in front of our eyes.
    We have only defended well for seventy minutes at Hull, even there we were shocking the first twenty minutes

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 19, 2023, 09:37:23 pm by wilts rover »
It seems you're the one with the problem Wilts, that being you having to resort to switching forums in order to start an argument.

You are the one starting an argument. I answered your question - now you keep questioning me about it. Again if you don't like my answers - that's your problem.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 19, 2023, 09:49:54 pm by scawsby steve »
I think it's time young Faulkner was at least given a chance.

Let's be honest, he hasn't got to be brilliant to be an improvement on what we've seen so far.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 19, 2023, 09:50:03 pm by drfcsteve »
Something seemed off that he would drop from the Championship to league 2, even at his age. Seems Rotherham knew what they were doing getting rid.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 19, 2023, 09:51:46 pm by donnievic »
Not helped with no midfield infront of him

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 19, 2023, 09:57:26 pm by GazLaz »
Something seemed off that he would drop from the Championship to league 2, even at his age. Seems Rotherham knew what they were doing getting rid.

He had options but wanted to stay local as his kids are at school.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 19, 2023, 10:00:02 pm by NickDRFC »
He’s been part of a shocking team. I think Jaap Stam would look poor in this team.

Probably, he must be in his 50s now.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 19, 2023, 10:01:06 pm by belton rover »
I’ve put of writing this because I so wanted Wood to be the colossus we need. I can’t comment on today’s game because I’m away and couldn’t go, but I noticed in both the Harrogate and Mansfield games him chatting and laughing with opposing players when waiting for defending corners.
I would have no issue with this if he was putting in the performances, but he hasn’t, which makes me wonder if his head and and heart is really up for this.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 19, 2023, 10:01:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »

You are the one starting an argument. I answered your question - now you keep questioning me about it. Again if you don't like my answers - that's your problem.
You never answered my question. You just asked a silly question in response to mine.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 19, 2023, 10:26:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
Probably too early to make the call but I said in summer if you sign the older lads you could get a Rob Jones or you could get a Richard Naylor. Unclear yet where we will end up.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 19, 2023, 10:33:27 pm by Goole Rover »
Anderson Faulkner I think, current partnership clearly doesn’t work
Yes and a lot on here gave Anderson some stick, clearly the best central defender we have.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 19, 2023, 11:10:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
Olowu and faulkner for me

That, at least this season, would be a disaster. Each of them could be good with an adult next to them, but both together would not be pretty.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 19, 2023, 11:15:46 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Wood played in a 3 at Rotherham.. we don't play a 3 any longer so.why sign a slow 38 year old who doesn't fit the new managers system..  a shambles recruitment wise and the blame is at the door of the recruitment team and overseeing the entire club, the Chairman..Time he goes.  Blunt out asap.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 11:23:21 pm by Donny Exile in York »

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 19, 2023, 11:20:15 pm by grayx »

Let's be honest, he hasn't got to be brilliant to be an improvement on what we've seen so far.
Agree.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 19, 2023, 11:21:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It may be wrong but I heard that Wood was going to be signed by Schofield and Copps, long before McCann came back.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 20, 2023, 02:43:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
So far it’s looking like Wood, is like that boxing champion, that has one fight too many. Olowu has the attention span of a goldfish. McCann so far has talked a good game but has shown very little in how he is going to, go about building a top side for this division. Two of the things we most lack in the side are heart and intelligence. We lack aggression, we are the Swiss military of league two.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 20, 2023, 07:59:10 am by Filo »
The problem Olowu has is that he’s not only playing his own position, he’s looking out for when he has to cover for Wood’s lack of pace, Wood is the problem

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 20, 2023, 08:09:30 am by Rovers91 »
Probably too early to make the call but I said in summer if you sign the older lads you could get a Rob Jones or you could get a Richard Naylor. Unclear yet where we will end up.

When we got Jones he had a midfield in front of him that offered protection whether that be Keegan or Furman and our midfield was resilient. Our midfield at minute is wide open and losing the battle every week and teams are walking through us which is exposing Wood more. Don't get me wrong Wood needs to be performing better than he is but if we had a better midfield in front of him one that was more resilient and knew how to keep possession of the ball we wouldn't be having this conversation about him I don't think.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 20, 2023, 08:29:48 am by wilts rover »

You never answered my question. You just asked a silly question in response to mine.

I gave a complete answer to your question - with evidence. If you don't like it - that's your problem.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 20, 2023, 08:32:29 am by wilts rover »

It does seem strange that on one hand McCann complains that the team he picked lacks fitness and aggression. Yet he leaves the fittest and most aggressive defender out?

They must be a lot different in training to what they are in matches.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 20, 2023, 09:06:24 am by Bentley Bullet »

I gave a complete answer to your question - with evidence. If you don't like it - that's your problem.
No, you didn't, but then I'm used to that with you, and I'm not going to provide you with a motive for straying from your usual hunting ground to spout your rubbish on this forum.

I'll just ignore you.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 20, 2023, 09:09:14 am by mushRTID »
It’s in the highlights but wood made a ridiculous pass from the left back position into central midfield which got cut out, they broke and should have scored. It was a terrible pass and everybody saw what he was going to do.

I don’t see it with him.

Rotherham fans were basically saying “he will drag you up”. Not what we need on current evidence.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 20, 2023, 09:16:47 am by The Beast »
I watch Richard Wood and I feel like getting my boots back out, he’s as stiff as a board. To be fair to him though I don’t think our full backs are much cop, Senior looks suspect, every time he gets the ball blasts it aimlessly down the line and our midfield is woeful, Tommy Rowe is carrying so much muscle but is now too old to carry it around the pitch, he’s 2 yards off the pace, a bigger concern to me than Richard Wood.
I always knew that if things didn’t start swimmingly, people would remember where Wood came from and make him the scapegoat.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 20, 2023, 09:19:27 am by mushRTID »
I watch Richard Wood and I feel like getting my boots back out, he’s as stiff as a board. To be fair to him though I don’t think our full backs are much cop, Senior looks suspect, every time he gets the ball blasts it aimlessly down the line and our midfield is woeful, Tommy Rowe is carrying so much muscle but is now too old to carry it around the pitch, he’s 2 yards off the pace, a bigger concern to me than Richard Wood.
I always knew that if things didn’t start swimmingly, people would remember where Wood came from and make him the scapegoat.

Absolutely nothing to do with where he’s come from.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 20, 2023, 09:22:04 am by roversdude »
On what we’ve seen so far we have to pick Bobby preferably with Anderson

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 20, 2023, 09:22:18 am by colincramb »
Not to try and sound like a Jonny come lately, but I never really thought he was brilliant when he was in his prime. We tore him many a new arsehole when he was at Wednesday all those years back.

It’s a problem we didn’t need. A counter argument could be that he’s playing with worse players than at any point in his career and this probably isn’t helping him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012