Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:43:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Last nights performance and energy  (Read 1712 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Last nights performance and energy
« on August 09, 2023, 10:26:09 am by Filo »
Thats the benchmark set for me, we’ll cause problems for most L2 sides playing like that

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Last nights performance and energy
« Reply #1 on August 09, 2023, 10:42:34 am by DearneValleyRover »
Thats the benchmark set for me, we’ll cause problems for most L2 sides playing like that

Totally agree, the biggest difference between the two games so far.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 09, 2023, 11:22:07 am by pib »
I think most of the teams we face in L2 will pose a very different challenge to last night, as I don't think many in this league are so rigidly fixated on the short pass out from the back as Hull were. The amount of time their keeper spent on the ball was ridiculous and we did a great job of staying disciplined and forcing them to go long or make a mistake.

I agree with the sentiment though - if we can replicate the energy levels, and how much better we looked after the ball compared to Saturday, things should start to come together I hope.

Think that Maxwell, Anderson, Biggins, Miller and the two wingers will have given McCann something to think about selection-wise on last night's evidence. Saying that I don't think anyone had a bad game, subs included.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 09, 2023, 11:54:40 am by edlored »
Doesn't matter who you play you have to match their energy than hopefully quality will win

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 09, 2023, 11:57:30 am by Northants Nomad »
Through last season in League Two and against Harrogate on Saturday, and from what I saw in pre-season, it does feel like we struggle against poor football. We seem to get dragged down to the attritional level of league two teams - our better performances last year (allowing for the general dross on show) were against the better teams. We shall see how it plays through this season, and higher energy levels will help, but I see this league as incredibly dire football that we just need to get away from as soon as possible in whatever manner it needs.
What is certainly the case...crap football and low energy will achieve nothing, and high energy/press will keep the fans onside.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 09, 2023, 12:36:40 pm by danumdon »
Through last season in League Two and against Harrogate on Saturday, and from what I saw in pre-season, it does feel like we struggle against poor football. We seem to get dragged down to the attritional level of league two teams - our better performances last year (allowing for the general dross on show) were against the better teams. We shall see how it plays through this season, and higher energy levels will help, but I see this league as incredibly dire football that we just need to get away from as soon as possible in whatever manner it needs.
What is certainly the case...crap football and low energy will achieve nothing, and high energy/press will keep the fans onside.

I think you're doing Harrogate a bit of a disservice, they were neat and tidy on sat with good passing skills and ball retention, they also beat Carlisle last night in what reads like a hard thought victory so i don't think they are anyone's mugs.

What i think you are saying is that we struggle to play against teams that are in your face and play with an energy and speed that unsettles a team trying to construct some neat and tidy possession football. If that was your meaning then yes i do agree with that.

I think we have seen shoots of what GM is all about again just in these first couple of matches. He has a vision of a high intensity game with energy and speed to the fore, players who can physically stand up to a clogger team and give it back but with enough skill and determination about them to outplay any opposition.

I hopeful that we are in for a very good season, as this squad start to understand GM and his strategy. we now have the makings of a squad that can execute it.

Bring on Newport, the lads must be buzzing after last night.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 09, 2023, 12:50:56 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I wonder if (contrary to last time McCann was here in League 1) that the way we play will suit League 2 away matches better than home ones. We have speed and like space to play, which is easier for a League 2 side to counter in an away match for them.  When we are away I expect more space and opportunities for us to counter.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 09, 2023, 01:00:34 pm by danumdon »
I wonder if (contrary to last time McCann was here in League 1) that the way we play will suit League 2 away matches better than home ones. We have speed and like space to play, which is easier for a League 2 side to counter in an away match for them.  When we are away I expect more space and opportunities for us to counter.

Dead right DU, the home team usually try to attack an away team and by playing that way would offer up space and opportunity to a team like us to attack on the break, with forward players like Miller, Taylor, Degi, Roberts and Hurst we have a team well capable to strike at pace against a stretched defence.

GM is an astute guy and looks like he'll set us up against an opposition in a manner which will get the best out of his resources, i don't think he's rigid in his formation, this will suit us just fine.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 09, 2023, 01:15:30 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I couldn't make the game last night, but my Hull Tigers supporting mates were sending me regular updates. One of the stand outs, (apart from not being able to tell who was the Championship side & League 2 side and also the atmosphere created by the Rovers fans) was how tactically exposed we made them look. As mentioned before, Hull are very keen on the playing out from the back tactic, but when the opposition don't play ball and retreat into midfield as we did for most of the game, they don't have a plan b. McCann instructed our wing backs to to retreat down the side line when their keeper had the ball meaning his passes to his wingers were getting longer and more inaccurate, to the point he had no idea what to do! When their keeper was stood with the ball outside the penalty area with nobody to pass to, they could apparently see our forwards itching to close him down but McCann was stood on the touchline shouting at them to stay back! A simple but very effective tactic that put extra pressure on their goalkeeper and the crowd getting on his back.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 09, 2023, 01:16:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
At the risk of massive over simplification, last season made it plain to me that there's one key thing you need to succeed in this division.

You've got to be good enough footballers to keep your game going when the other side gets in your face.

Saturday was so disappointing because we totally failed that test, just as we did all last season.

Last night was an excellent performance, but as pib says, it's not the challenge that we will have week in week out in the league.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 09, 2023, 01:40:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
That's fair comment. There was alot of energy on Saturday but alot of it was misplaced. I put it down to being a bit hyper and anxious to please in front of an expectant crowd.

They could relax a bit last night and show what they're capable of with being underdogs.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 09, 2023, 01:46:30 pm by jmt23 »
The aggression and willingness to close down in midfield was evident last night, we got nowhere near last Saturday.
We have a very tactical astute management team, I am confident we will get this right more than we get it wrong.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 09, 2023, 03:42:13 pm by In the box »
Lawlor still kept Rovers in the game more than once last night and is showing why McCann is placing a lot of faith in him .

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 09, 2023, 07:13:29 pm by Lesonthewest »
Last night was a joy to watch, & every single player played their part.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 09, 2023, 09:46:47 pm by DRNaith »
I said to my son, last night (funny name eh?), that because we now have a proven manager, poor performances can be more easily placed at the door of the players and they have to take responsibility. With the last couple of managers, it's felt like the players could ride on the excuse of having a less experienced manager.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012