Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:35:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Conditioning  (Read 1955 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Conditioning
« on October 14, 2023, 12:47:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s quite striking how quickly players have got injured this season. Four of our senior players, league contributions:

Sterry - opening game, 90 minutes, not seen since.

Taylor - opening game, 68 minutes, not seen since.

Miller - opening game, 18 minutes, second game 53 minutes, not seen since. 

Hurst - 18 minutes against Wrexham, not seen since.

Are we putting them out without conditioning or while carrying injuries? Seems odd that they have all got crocked so quickly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 04:00:45 pm by Chris Black come back »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Conditioning
« Reply #1 on October 14, 2023, 02:24:56 pm by GazLaz »
The players weren’t fit at the start of the season (still behind the curve I think), that’s for sure.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 14, 2023, 03:01:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
It’s quite striking how quickly players have got injured this season. Four of our senior players, league contributions:

Are we putting this out without conditioning or while carrying injuries? Seems odd that they have all got crocked so quickly.
Taylor’s injury continuation from last season
Miller knee operation last season at the end was not successful so had to be done again
Hurst had problem with his thy end of the season not got it right yet
Sterry came in not really fit

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 14, 2023, 04:25:21 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Sterry not ‘mentally’ fit?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 14, 2023, 05:15:16 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Sterry not ‘mentally’ fit?

Why sign wusses then?

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 15, 2023, 09:21:18 pm by In the box »

Are we putting them out without conditioning or while carrying injuries? Seems odd that they have all got crocked so quickly.
Has there been a ransom note ?  :whistle:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 16, 2023, 02:52:06 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The players brought in aren’t the type that are industrial strength, with stamina to burn. They tend to be lightweight, ball players, young guys still growing into their bodies. As such you will get up and down results.

We don’t have enough, solid experienced types that will give you 7/10 every week. We have players that if on it and allowed to play can beat anybody but against the top sides they know how to stop us playing.

We lack nous at times. The good thing is recent results and performances are growing the confidence in the squad, which can sometimes mean you get away with some deficiencies.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 16, 2023, 10:38:10 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Sterry was a crock when we signed him. Never played a full season always missed 10-15 games. So not sure why people or the club weren't expecting this?

Taylor...not worth discussing. Played something like 16games in last 3 seasons. Whoever gave the lad a 5yr contract on top money?

Miller and Hurst are strange ones for me, maybe tried to rush them back? Or maybe they wanted to come back and play for new gaffer so weren't totally honest on where they were at with recovery? Got to consider that when a new employer walks in the door.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2023, 12:16:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Sterry was a crock when we signed him. Never played a full season always missed 10-15 games. So not sure why people or the club weren't expecting this?

Taylor...not worth discussing. Played something like 16games in last 3 seasons. Whoever gave the lad a 5yr contract on top money?

Miller and Hurst are strange ones for me, maybe tried to rush them back? Or maybe they wanted to come back and play for new gaffer so weren't totally honest on where they were at with recovery? Got to consider that when a new employer walks in the door.

Once again, Taylor got a career-changing injury going in full-blooded for a shot at a moment when we still had a decent chance of making the L1 playoffs. Around the same time, at least 1 player who was planning to leave us was bottling challenges.

Taylor was an excellent pro at a level 1.5-2 above where we are now. He's been desperately unlucky and it is really poor the way some fans lay into him.

Sterry made 102 appearances in the 3 seasons before we signed him.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 12:20:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2023, 09:24:39 am by selby »
  Agree wholeheartedly with that post Billy, Taylor especially needs our sympathy not criticism, There are not many players in the game who has had so much bad luck as that lad.
  It is a physical industry, carries as much risk to injury as most manual jobs and more than most, and is an industry that physical fitness depends on, unlike most jobs you cannot be carried if not one hundred per cent fit by your mates.
  And physical fitness  in the game goes along with mental health in the game, when players cannot play they must worry about their future, and are at risk of someone else just coming along and taking their starting place, and they are not in a position to do anything about it.
   Some people on here just want to stop and think, that's if they are capable of it, and think just what their comments mean to players already in a bad place mentally and physically, or just grow up.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2023, 09:29:10 am by TheFunk »
Whilst suffering these horrendous injuries he's also had to cope with contracting meningitis and sepsis. I dread to think what all this has done to his mental health. I think we should all be supporting him not criticising.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2023, 09:36:46 am by Ryaldinhio »
Lads, how have I layed into him or criticised him at all? I pointed out that for the last 3 years he has played a handful of games. So in a thread about conditioning wasn't worth talking about, I don't think that is laying into him.

Sterry playing 102 in 3 seasons just evidences he hasn't played full seasons? Played 28 games last year when hartlepool played around 50.

I don't think either of my statements are out of line.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2023, 10:04:05 am by graingrover »
Who is running the physio programs? Well before Grant’s accession to the top job, we had long-lasting injury lists. Did he make staff changes at the physio level?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2023, 10:15:41 am by idler »
Lads, how have I layed into him or criticised him at all? I pointed out that for the last 3 years he has played a handful of games. So in a thread about conditioning wasn't worth talking about, I don't think that is laying into him.

Sterry playing 102 in 3 seasons just evidences he hasn't played full seasons? Played 28 games last year when hartlepool played around 50.

How many missed games were down to not being selected though?
We don’t know how many games he was an unused sub either.
I remember Paul Heffernan being ignored by SOD for quite a while which didn’t help his stats.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 17, 2023, 11:38:16 am by Ryaldinhio »

How many missed games were down to not being selected though?
We don’t know how many games he was an unused sub either.
I remember Paul Heffernan being ignored by SOD for quite a while which didn’t help his stats.

He was rated as their best player and would have played every game but for injury. There was a thread on here about it with links to hartlepool forum at the time we signed him. Another 'best player when fit' scenario.

It is inevitable at our level.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012