Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 08:08:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: That one’s for everyone that didn’t panic  (Read 9172 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: That one’s for everyone that didn’t panic
« Reply #90 on October 03, 2021, 07:30:20 am by RobTheRover »
For the hour he was on, Bostock was at the centre of everything Rovers did.
True he's not keen on a crunching tackle, but he was in their way most of the time, all over the pitch.
He's a real asset to this team, so geeoorr wit moaning about him.

Spot on. I was watching Bozzy closely, particularly in that 2nd half when we conceded possession to MK for long spells. He worked really hard at being close to the most likely midfielder to receive the ball from their defence, ultimately taking him out of their options to move forward. That's why there were good spells when they had the ball but could only pass it into one or two options from the back line and invariably ended up giving it back to their defence.  He was very effective but had to do quite some running, probably hastening his substitution.

When Smith came on he didn't do that. Smith was covering space mostly, probably part of a game plan to try to cut out an errant pass and spring forward on the break.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 03, 2021, 07:34:30 am by mushRTID »
True he's not keen on a crunching tackle, but he was in their way most of the time, all over the pitch.

Spot on. I was watching Bozzy closely, particularly in that 2nd half when we conceded possession to MK for long spells. He worked really hard at being close to the most likely midfielder to receive the ball from their defence, ultimately taking him out of their options to move forward. That's why there were good spells when they had the ball but could only pass it into one or two options from the back line and invariably ended up giving it back to their defence.  He was very effective but had to do quite some running, probably hastening his substitution.

When Smith came on he didn't do that. Smith was covering space mostly, probably part of a game plan to try to cut out an errant pass and spring forward on the break.

Iv not seen the highlights yet but didn’t Smith win the ball back in the lead up to the winner?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on October 03, 2021, 07:36:33 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
No doubting better midfield players yesterday made a difference. I thought we played well in parts, clearly we aren't a terrible side, we haven't been most of the season.  We just have weakness.

Yesterday when we had a spell under pressure second half we dug in. We didn't do that at Ipswich and it made the difference as we got the winner.  In this league that's what you have to do not be pretty buy conceeding. Become a battling team first then add pretty stuff.

Hiwula is getting better with game time now aswell. The only bad performance was Vilca, he had a good first 10 minutes but then looked lost. His positioning was really poor.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 03, 2021, 08:43:57 am by keith79 »
Great win. Let's hope we can follow it up with another win.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on October 03, 2021, 09:29:20 am by Filo »
We are a better team when Bostock plays and that is a fact. Hes a calm head which is what the team needs. He retains posession brilliantly and imo actually does break up play. Its obviously becoming a coin toss whether Smith or Bostock starts the game. I know which one id rather play. Just needs to start to prove his fitness.

When Smith came on, Close dropped back into Bostock’s position, Smith played further up, he was instrumental winning back possession for our second goal, if only he could be as strong as he was there for a bigger part of the game we would be a much better team. I saw in Bostock yesterday a determination and drive that has perhaps has been missing formost parts during his time here. Galbraith with a proper mister alongside of him would be head and shoulders above anything else in this league, Close looked very busy and determined yesterday, Dodoo needs to get onside much quicker after an attack breaks down. Williams scares me to death everytime the ball comes near him

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on October 03, 2021, 11:01:07 am by drfchound »

Iv not seen the highlights yet but didn’t Smith win the ball back in the lead up to the winner?

Yes.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 03, 2021, 06:14:57 pm by donnievic »
Officials were largely ok today.

Especially in only giving a free kick to MK when it was yards in the box
that would no doubt go largely unnoticed or not mentioned about because it went in our favour like the winning goal but if was other way round would be in uproar

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on October 03, 2021, 07:23:54 pm by roversdude »

that would no doubt go largely unnoticed or not mentioned about because it went in our favour like the winning goal but if was other way round would be in uproar

I’ve seen it again and the ref got that right too Williams started fouling outside

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on October 03, 2021, 11:34:24 pm by donnievic »

I’ve seen it again and the ref got that right too Williams started fouling outside
not seen it so don’t know but if still getting fouled inside he could still give  a penalty
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:43:03 pm by donnievic »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on October 03, 2021, 11:57:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

not seen it so don’t know but if still getting fouled inside he could still give  a penalty
The pull went on for at least a yard, most of it inside the box. We got lucky with that one. And with the one earlier on when Rowe looked like he clipped their lad's heel when the player nicked the ball away from him from behind.

Generally, the decisions even out over a season and I'd say we've had more go for us than against so far this year.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on October 04, 2021, 12:28:00 am by donnievic »

The pull went on for at least a yard, most of it inside the box. We got lucky with that one. And with the one earlier on when Rowe looked like he clipped their lad's heel when the player nicked the ball away from him from behind.

Generally, the decisions even out over a season and I'd say we've had more go for us than against so far this year.
agree although sumtimes it doesn’t feel like it,just hate it when things don’t go our way and fans start moaning about how crap the ref has been yet when it goes our way they just keep stum as nothing amiss,just abit of honesty that’s all when we do get away or abit of luck goes our way with the decisions.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on October 04, 2021, 11:04:01 am by i_ateallthepies »

It happened right in front of me.  Williams was holding him for half a dozen paces and it did start outside the box but I expected a penalty to be given.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on October 04, 2021, 11:06:22 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Same here. You could see what was going to happen before it happened in terms of Williams going to manhandle their lad. Very surprised that it wasn't given a penalty. Fully expected it to be.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on October 04, 2021, 03:48:53 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The more the midfield play together the better the understanding. I think they are intelligent enough, to rotate positions in there.
Bostock is a higher quality John Doolan passing wise, but Doolan would put his foot in for a tackle.
Between all of them different qualities, but we need someone who likes doing the ugly work.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on October 04, 2021, 06:19:18 pm by RugbyRover »
The more the midfield play together the better the understanding. I think they are intelligent enough, to rotate positions in there.
Bostock is a higher quality John Doolan passing wise, but Doolan would put his foot in for a tackle.
Between all of them different qualities, but we need someone who likes doing the ugly work.

Who would you say did the ugly work under SOD?

Stocky?, Wellens?,  Greeny?

I don't remember any of them being your typical DM type, but the three of them working together made the team very solid.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on October 04, 2021, 06:23:34 pm by donnievic »

I don't remember any of them being your typical DM type, but the three of them working together made the team very solid.
would say stocky more than other 2

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on October 04, 2021, 06:34:43 pm by drfchound »
Same here. You could see what was going to happen before it happened in terms of Williams going to manhandle their lad. Very surprised that it wasn't given a penalty. Fully expected it to be.

The thing is though, refs are letting more and more of the manhandling to go unpunished.
At every corner defenders in particular, but also attackers, grab hold of each other and block runs, pull shirts etc.
 It is something that is becoming more and more prevalent and is not often punished by refs.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on October 04, 2021, 07:46:50 pm by Lesonthewest »
It is opinions. No need for your usual sarcasm Lesonthewest.

Bostock never makes a run for a return ball.  Passes and stands still.
Yes he is a good passer and does have a good first touch but his movement is almost non existent.
He is just not my type of midfield player i suppose.  Think Ben Whiteman was far better and more productive.
I know midfielders come in all shapes and sizes and they all have different attributes but Bostock is never going to score a goal because he never gets near enough to the penalty area. Even holding midfielders are allowed to join the front players from time to time providing someone is giving cover.
I almost never see that from Bostock.
Maybe he is not lazy, maybe i am being unfair using that word but he does not seem to have the legs to play a full 90 mins.
How many 90 min games has he had for us? Not very many i suspect.

I do think Galbraith was missed far more than Bostock at Ipswich and we would never have got beaten 6-0 with Galbraith playing. Just my opinion.

Anyway having said all that if we keep winning and Bostock is in the team for however many mins he plays then that will do for me.

Desperately lazy you quoted, are they watching the same game as you & me, you said, so no need for your usual condescending comments don't you think. Reading through the posts a lot say he played very well, but hey ho it's all about opinions, I certainly disagree with yours as regards how well Bostock played, you were watching a different game to me that's for sure.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on October 04, 2021, 07:49:21 pm by i_ateallthepies »
True, Hound.  It's spoiling the game for me and yet could so easily be eradicated if the footballing authorities chose to.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on October 04, 2021, 07:56:49 pm by Goole Rover »
Alick Jeffrey hitting the post against Preston North End in the league cup 1964, the woodwork was still shaking when we left Belle Vue.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on October 04, 2021, 07:59:40 pm by donnievic »

The thing is though, refs are letting more and more of the manhandling to go unpunished.
At every corner defenders in particular, but also attackers, grab hold of each other and block runs, pull shirts etc.
 It is something that is becoming more and more prevalent and is not often punished by refs.

also most fans are looking where they can see the whole box from differant angles of the ground where as the ref gets one look so is maybe only pinpointing his attention to one part of the area from lower down

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on October 04, 2021, 08:18:19 pm by Goole Rover »
Alick Jeffrey hitting the post against Preston North End in the league cup 1964, the woodwork was still shaking when we left Belle Vue.
Hell must be losing it sorry folks wrong thread.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on October 04, 2021, 08:27:30 pm by MachoMadness »

We were lucky with those 3 in that while they were technically gifted, all of them could put a tackle in as well. Stocky was particularly fantastic off the ball as his positioning was incredible but all 3 were well rounded footballers that could do it all.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on October 04, 2021, 08:39:15 pm by ravenrover »
For me Stock was the deep lying defensive player. But that didn't stop him marauding when the opportunity arose
Wellens was the fulcrum spraying the ball about effortlessly.
Greeny was the workhorse box to box

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on October 04, 2021, 10:09:21 pm by drfchound »

also most fans are looking where they can see the whole box from differant angles of the ground where as the ref gets one look so is maybe only pinpointing his attention to one part of the area from lower down

That is fair mate but what really irks me is when the ref is in a good position to see what is going on.
Sometimes they even stop the corner from being taken, go to the players involved in the holding etc. and give them a warning to pack it in, then blow the whistle for the corner to be taken.
The same pushing and holding carries on and naff all is done about it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 10:12:51 pm by drfchound »

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on October 04, 2021, 10:53:43 pm by donnievic »

That is fair mate but what really irks me is when the ref is in a good position to see what is going on.
Sometimes they even stop the corner from being taken, go to the players involved in the holding etc. and give them a warning to pack it in, then blow the whistle for the corner to be taken.
The same pushing and holding carries on and naff all is done about it.
think they usually stop if both are at it aswell,but on numerous times you do then see them give a foul to the defending side.suppose it’s same as throw ins if the ref isn’t sure of direction of a throw in and is closer than assistant they are told to go in favour of defending side and think same is said if both holding or grappling in the box.I was watching numerous times on Saturday and was abit of holding when rovers were defending corners in the 1st half which went unnoticed.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on October 04, 2021, 10:59:13 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

would say stocky more than other 2

I would say Green did the donkey work, the other two had a go but using the ball was their game.
Simon Gillett was another one who won a the ball, and gave it to the better players, a ‘water carrier, as the French have called defensive midfield players.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on October 05, 2021, 09:10:53 am by River Don »
I don't think it was as clear cut as that, Greeny wasn't just a water carrier, he could use tha ball too and often got forward and helped develop creative play.

I think the three of them were versatile, Greeny perhaps put more of the leg work in more often. Wellens more of the creative work but for me, at ts best, the whole thing was quite fluid.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on October 05, 2021, 10:52:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What Green brought was a bit of buccaneering forward momentum. Without him, for the first 20 games of 07/08, we were dreadful. All carefully hoarded possession and very little forward thrust. O'Driscoll realising that earlier and getting Green signed up for the Championship season is one of the great "What if..."s. Had we done that and not then had half a season hoping Lewis Guy and Gareth Taylor could score more than Heffernan, who knows what we might have done in 08/09?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on October 05, 2021, 12:46:26 pm by Colin C No.3 »
The linesman in front of the West Stand had to stand right on the touch line & crane his neck to see past the coaching staff (both sides) who were all standing well outside their technical areas sometimes almost encroaching onto the field of play.

How can he be expected to make a correct decision for a throw in or a foul committed on the touc line when his field of vision is blocked AND, why the heck didn’t he say something to the 4th official!?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012