Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:33:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Colchester United game  (Read 3252 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Colchester United game
« on April 20, 2024, 09:30:54 pm by selby »
  Two games to go to finish the most unusual season for years, when what looks like a grandstand finish looks like rescuing what was looking like one of our most depressing just in January past.
   For long periods of the game against Barrow we were distinctly second best, got back into the game with a penalty, and some great substitutions and change of formation rescued what looked an unlikely result.
   The game at Colchester will be no easier as they need the points to remain safe for another season after losing 1-0 at Notts County today, being unfortunate  not to rescue something from the game hitting the Woodwork twice without the luck of it going in.
   In the past I have seen us win at Colchester and also give some of our worst performances when we were Favourites to win, and the standard of the playing area will be questionable them having to postpone games this one as well just a short time ago.
   We have no half way houses now, we must go for the win, as they will to allay all fears they have at the bottom of the division.
  What line up after today and the successful substitutions and the rare sight of Anderson impersonating Franz Beckenbauer bursting forward I will leave to others as nerves got the better of me today I admit.
  At least we seam to have a team that doesn't rely solely on one or two players, different ones standing up to be counted in different games a great thing to have in a team, and going on todays game an ability to alter our tactics and formation mid game, a great ability to have that is hard to put into practice.
  We will no doubt have to show the same resolve and adaptability in this game as we did against Barrow and we may have to as they fight to stay in the EFL.
  What the casual supporter thought of todays game is anyone's guess, the lows and high's over the full game so extreme more like that and getting to 78 yrs old could be in questionable I found it admittedly for the majority of the game a hard watch.
  So a lot to discuss, another very important game, a game that can put us in the driving seat for the playoffs, and as today showed it will not be easy.
  What do you think? are you going to this game? what team would you go with? can we get in the playoffs? what emotions went through your mind today? the crowd especially the Black Bank played a massive part in us getting over the line today, a massive well done to everyone, just two to go.
  Lots to discuss, lots to look forward to, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Colchester United game
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2024, 10:03:52 pm by les@donr »
I was at that last FL game against Colchester, they were getting promoted while we were relegated. There some Colchester fans in the main stand terrace near the drink kiosk goading home fans, a pc stepped in and told them off. Let’s get some revenge on Tuesday stuffing them 6-0 and give Sutton of staying up.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2024, 10:08:42 pm by Herman Hessian »
I was at that last FL game against Colchester, they were getting promoted while we were relegated. There some Colchester fans in the main stand terrace near the drink kiosk goading home fans, a pc stepped in and told them off. Let’s get some revenge on Tuesday stuffing them 6-0 and give Sutton of staying up.

...wonder if Alan Brown's coming Tuesday night to chain himself to the goalpost  :laugh:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 20, 2024, 10:22:17 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think Colchester are safe already, as they have a better goal difference, so long as they don’t concede too many in our game.

Am I right in thinking that if we beat Colchester by 3 clear goals, we go fifth? Amazing to think that would be possible as far back as the end of January! 

Another interesting matter for Tuesday is Barrow v Bradford - Bradford can gate crash the play-off’s themselves if they win their remaining 2 games (their last one is at home to Newport, I believe).

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2024, 10:29:11 pm by adamtherover »
Colchester are safe, they have 3 PTS and 7 goals advantage over Sutton, who are away at MK next satdi..

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2024, 10:32:02 pm by les@donr »
Agree it’s a long shot, but could happen.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 20, 2024, 11:03:58 pm by IDM »
We could go 5th with a 2 goal victory as we have scored more than Crewe.. that’s if Barrow fail to win of course..

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 20, 2024, 11:10:50 pm by les@donr »
MK Dons have nothing to play for as they have a playoff spot, whereas Sutton do have something to play for.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2024, 11:51:31 pm by ForsolongaRover »
There is more rain on the way Monday night and possibly Tuesday too, so their awful pitch could be soggy which would equalise things a bit.

There GD is not all that comfortably better than Sutton’s and they host Crewe in their final game who will very likely be in need of a win, so their cushion is not really comfortable.

If they do not go into next Tuesday to really slug it out I’d be very surprised.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2024, 12:43:43 am by Colin C No.3 »
An ifollow game for me this one.

Just cannot, no way see us losing this game.

Feel free to tell me how Colchester will match us & win.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 21, 2024, 12:56:38 am by StocktonRover »
They need a point to be mathematically safe, so expect them to play defensively for the draw.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 21, 2024, 01:33:37 am by RobTheRover »
I got my cheek broke by a Colchester fan in 92-ish.  Friday night game just before Christmas. I think Rovers lost 3-1

I'd like to see us batter them on Tuesday just for that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 21, 2024, 08:06:14 am by GazLaz »
I have a fairly strong feeling it will be a draw on Tuesday.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 21, 2024, 09:12:41 am by Campsall rover »
Colchester are not safe. They are almost safe. There is a difference.

Dafter things have happened in football than having a 7 goal advantage overturned.

If we won say 4-0 on Tues ( that would be ok, understatement )
Then it’s down to + 3 swing for the U’s
If Sutton win 2-0 v MK Dons and Colchester lose 2-0 to Crewe or equivalent results for both then Colchester go down.

This is not an easy 3 points on Tues eve. We will have to earn the win.

Can we win, of course we can. I just think the desire and determination will get us over the line again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:33:58 am by Campsall rover »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 21, 2024, 09:16:13 am by mushRTID »
I have a fairly strong feeling it will be a draw on Tuesday.

I was thinking the same before yesterday.

But after that second half I honestly don’t believe anything is going to stop us.

I also think some of those around us will faulter and one win in the end will be enough.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 21, 2024, 09:24:10 am by Chris Black come back »
They have a poor home record over this season, third worst in League Two, while their away record is better, as fifth worst. Reasonably ok recent home record - last five they’ve lost twice (to strong sides in Stockport and Wrexham) drawn (Walsall) and won twice (Newport and Grimsby). A decent run.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:46:19 am by Chris Black come back »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 21, 2024, 09:44:25 am by selby »
  Campsall (Paul) you have hit the nail on the head when you quoted desire and determination winning the game yesterday.
  For long periods we were played like a fiddle by Barrow, but the penalty and the changes in personnel changed the game on it's head.
  Credit to the off field management and credit to the substitutes who upped the tempo of our game as soon as they came on, something that is very hard to do as a lot of players on here will know who have been subs in games.
  The early season raft of injuries hit us hard and our confidence and identity as a unit low, a good question is are we now benefitting with the strength and fitness of the squad and players coming back fresh and looking to impress, while clubs like Barrow, Crawley, and Crewe are feeling the pressure and running out of steam?
  As for the Colchester game, just go for it, have a right go, the door is open for the first time, grasp the moment.

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 21, 2024, 10:12:55 am by BradwellRover »
I expect them to play for the draw, given it’s all they need. Need patience and concentration from the lads- an early goal would be nice as well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 21, 2024, 08:21:44 pm by selby »
  All we need is three points, how we get them is irrelevant, play well and we have every chance, but getting a result is the most important.
  How we handle the pressure will be just as important, a good sign was how we responded to adversity  v Barrow when we upped our game after not playing that well, I would like us not to get in that position again and be on top of our game from the start at Colchester if possible please Grant.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 22, 2024, 07:51:44 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hardest test yet. We're up against a team fighting for their lives and might be difficult to distinguish who wants it most.

We only have to think back to Hartlepool and Cheltenham in recent times to understand this will be just as difficult a task as any.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 22, 2024, 09:59:40 am by colincramb »
Anybody that thinks this will be a walk over needs to think again. Saturday looked like it took a lot out of us physically and that’s before the adrenaline will have worn off.

Like has been said, conditions could be challenging. Massive banana skin this one. I always fancy us to score at the moment, so the key for me will be keeping another clean sheet. If we do that, we win the game.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 22, 2024, 10:18:37 am by StocktonRover »
Anybody that thinks this will be a walk over needs to think again. Saturday looked like it took a lot out of us physically and that’s before the adrenaline will have worn off.

Like has been said, conditions could be challenging. Massive banana skin this one. I always fancy us to score at the moment, so the key for me will be keeping another clean sheet. If we do that, we win the game.

Itll be a tough game as they all are now, but lets not forget that Colchester have been playing 2 games a week for a while now so they will also be suffering fatigue.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 22, 2024, 11:52:00 am by selby »
  They were not playing that well when the original fixture was postponed, just our luck for them to be more up for it tomorrow.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 22, 2024, 12:41:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
Extra tickets available - see DRFC website

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 22, 2024, 12:43:02 pm by StocktonRover »
And lets not forget that their upturn in form is since they narrowed the pitch because of "waterlogging issues".
That will make the game more compacted than Saturdays first half.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 22, 2024, 01:01:45 pm by adamtherover »

13 goals in 4 games!!!  if theres one thing we do well, its score!!!!!!

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 22, 2024, 01:40:43 pm by Barmby Rover »
Not only are Rovers odds against winning at Colchester (23/20), but they are 11/2 against getting promotion with Skybet. Worth looking at for both I reckon.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 22, 2024, 06:13:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Good to hear the squad are travelling down today, at their request. And there's no injury issues following Saturday.

Hope the rain doesn't cause an issue again.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 22, 2024, 06:44:34 pm by dknward2 »
Finally we are favourites for a game, hang on that might not be a good thing

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 22, 2024, 07:12:46 pm by drfchound »
Not only are Rovers odds against winning at Colchester (23/20), but they are 11/2 against getting promotion with Skybet. Worth looking at for both I reckon.

I got a bet on with SkyBet last week, 12/1 for promotion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012