Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:49:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 905949 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #6180 on July 21, 2020, 07:53:19 pm by drfchound »
Yes the Hermes "jobs" (sic) are better than being on the dole. As are the DPD ones. Is that the height of our aspirations in the 21st century?

Did I even suggest that it might be?
I just thought it was a positive at a time when numerous people were losing their jobs rather than having a moan about it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6181 on July 21, 2020, 10:27:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Yes the Hermes "jobs" (sic) are better than being on the dole. As are the DPD ones. Is that the height of our aspirations in the 21st century?

Depends doesn't it as to what these people would desire or be able to do otherwise?  Not everyone can have the top jobs someone has to deliver the things we all order....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6182 on July 21, 2020, 11:38:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP

Come November, we are looking at having 3-5 million on the dole.

Do you reckon they are all capable of nothing more than gig economy delivery jobs?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6183 on July 21, 2020, 11:53:37 pm by idler »
Surely as people lose their jobs they will be buying far less so deliveries will drop?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6184 on July 22, 2020, 12:01:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This from the BBC about what Chris Whitty said to Parliament today is almost beyond belief. It sounds like a man knowing his knighthood is evaporating and trying desperately to re-write history.

Crucial evidence about the scale of the outbreak and modelling about how quickly it could spread was presented to ministers on 16 March.

But it was a full week later that a total lockdown was announced.

Prof Whitty said it was not a "huge delay" given the "enormity" of the decision.

A week delay wasn't a huge delay?

What f**king planet is he on?

In mid-March, the virus cases were doubling every 3-4 days. That's not hindsight. We knew it at the time. Us. Amateurs on here. WE were discussing it.

Simple maths tells you that if the cases were doubling every 3-4 days, a week delay quadrupled the total number of infections.  And therefore quadrupled the number of deaths. And delayed the easing and therefore increased the economic carnage.

40,000 avoidable deaths and maybe £100bn in lost output isn't a "huge" thing?

f**k me, are we through the looking glass now.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6185 on July 22, 2020, 06:03:18 am by Donnywolf »
Obviously the lying or "nuancing" around facts and dates is as contageous as the Virus itself and the Prof has been too near those that do it for a living far too long

I see (hear) Han-cog is now saying (after trying to say the Lockdown came on 16th March NOT the 23rd and being called out for it) that Lockdown was more of a conscious movement by the people to keep themselves safe rather than a set date - (pause for line blurring)

Will this bloke stoop to any depths rather than just admit any truth if it appears to "drop them in it" ?

For the record - I retweeted a Piers Morgan Tweet (I dont suppose anyone even sees it as I have only 40 followers most of them from on here) but it made me feel better so here it is

Strange - I was getting a new Car on 27 March & set Insurance etc up for then. Then without warning Mr Han-cog the Govt (you and Johnson) introduced a Lockdown to commence on the 23rd. Dealers summoned me for the 24th - so I needed to change EVERYTHING FAST

I was "scared" on 24th I was doing something illegal (doing a Cummings before it was invented). I drove 40 miles to get Car & with no intro to it (simply given keys) I drove off & the Dealers shut their doors behind me. THAT was a fatual dated lockdown not just my or their behaviour so just stop LYING
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:14:03 am by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6186 on July 22, 2020, 06:22:30 am by Donnywolf »
I see as usual I was late to the party

This is a far more eloquent chronology of events - and empahsises just how low this bloke "under" Liar Johnson is prepared to stoop. Ok we may have 43 % of Tory voters nationwise and be split maybe 50 50 on here but surely almost 90% of people nationwide reading this will know if not admit that this spin is just plain wrong as another Politician once said

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancock-accused-ludicrous-rewriting-22392859

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6187 on July 22, 2020, 07:19:49 pm by drfchound »
BFYP

Do you reckon they are all capable of nothing more than gig economy delivery jobs?

Are you saying that all the people taking the gig economy jobs are capable of other, higher up the ladder and higher paid jobs then.
Of course not and the delivery drivers and warehouse pickers will need line managers to organise them.
Most people would have been aware a few weeks ago that we were looking at a massive increase in out of work people.
It has been inevitable since the virus hit hard in March.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6188 on July 23, 2020, 07:01:53 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
BFYP

Not at all, but some will be.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6189 on July 24, 2020, 06:49:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
"We could have done things differently" says Johnson.

Except, when asked about things they patently got wrong, he claims they got them all right.

So that's OK then. No blame for us having the worst-managed crisis in Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53525450

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6190 on July 24, 2020, 06:52:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Of course, Kuenssberg being Kuenssberg, the bleeding obvious question wasn't asked. "Could you have done better if you'd actually been dealing with this while the virus was taking hold in February, rather than vanishing for three weeks to sort out your divorce?"

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6191 on July 24, 2020, 06:53:28 pm by ravenrover »
But we followed the scientists advice, the blame game has started

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6192 on July 24, 2020, 07:10:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But we followed the scientists advice, the blame game has started

Except of course that the scientists were advising by 16 March at the very latest that we should lockdown. And we didn't for another week.

Johnson, disgracefully said in that interview that the question of when we should have locked down is still an open issue among scientists.

It absolutely, categorically is not. The epidemiologists have unanimously said we locked down too late and getting that decision wrong cost at least 20,000 lives, probably more.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6193 on July 24, 2020, 07:14:24 pm by Filo »
And the death toll is constant rather than going down

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6194 on July 24, 2020, 07:15:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Johnson also said it wasn't Govt policy not to shake hands on the day he boasted of shaking hands on a CV-19 ward. In fact, he's right. It wasn't Govt policy. But SAGE HAD advised by then that it should be.

So that f**ks all over the line that the Govt followed the science at all times. And without question, Johnson didn't just ignore the scientific advice personally, he publicly BOASTED of ignoring that advice.

How many people died as a direct result of that appallingly clownish idiocy when we needed leadership?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #6195 on July 25, 2020, 08:44:55 am by Superspy »
Any Jonathan Pie fans out there?
Sums up the current face mask situation quite nicely in his latest vid.

https://youtu.be/wZQkBHysrig

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6196 on July 25, 2020, 08:06:14 pm by selby »
Spain, France, Germany, and Belgium among other European countries reporting increases in infections and in some cases local lockdowns, Italy are testing all arrivals from Romania and Bulgaria.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6197 on July 25, 2020, 08:28:32 pm by ravenrover »
And it's isplation yime for tjose coming back from Spain as of tomorrow. But just tell me who will actually police it and has bren said before ehat about the journey from airport to home never mind the inbound travel on the aircraft.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6198 on July 25, 2020, 08:43:55 pm by drfchound »
And it's isplation yime for tjose coming back from Spain as of tomorrow. But just tell me who will actually police it and has bren said before ehat about the journey from airport to home never mind the inbound travel on the aircraft.

How was that bottle of wine raven.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #6199 on July 25, 2020, 09:22:40 pm by Superspy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6200 on July 25, 2020, 10:56:47 pm by wilts rover »

Well the Home Office is in charge of immigration but if it is to do with travel then you would think that the DoT would also be involved.

I wonder how involved the boss of the DoT (Grant Shapps) was in drafting the new rules seeing as how he is currently on holiday in Spain!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #6201 on July 26, 2020, 01:34:28 am by albie »
Now the scientists have been put out to grass, and the hilarious "Daily Briefing" series ended, IndieSage have a weekly numbers update for those who like their data;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXBiALoIxg&disable_polymer=true

The summary from Christina Pagel in the first 15 minutes is the go to.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6202 on July 26, 2020, 08:09:08 am by Filo »

Well the Home Office is in charge of immigration but if it is to do with travel then you would think that the DoT would also be involved.

I wonder how involved the boss of the DoT (Grant Shapps) was in drafting the new rules seeing as how he is currently on holiday in Spain!

Shapps will just circumvent the rules like Johnson snr did with Greece, he’ll just travel to another Country and fly home from there

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6203 on July 26, 2020, 08:34:36 am by SydneyRover »
Now the scientists have been put out to grass, and the hilarious "Daily Briefing" series ended, IndieSage have a weekly numbers update for those who like their data;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXBiALoIxg&disable_polymer=true

The summary from Christina Pagel in the first 15 minutes is the go to.

Thanks Albie, although I only listened to the first 10 min it was very revealing about test and trace, 2/3rds of contacts are made within the same household and only 30% of external contacts are being reached. Contact tracing in major hotspots is slow.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6204 on July 26, 2020, 10:05:41 am by ravenrover »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fart fingrers 😅

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #6205 on July 27, 2020, 02:59:12 pm by Not Now Kato »
This is an interesting, (worrying?), development....

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-confirmed-in-pet-cat-in-the-uk

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #6206 on July 27, 2020, 03:06:03 pm by Not Now Kato »
And in other news....

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/steve-anglesey-on-tim-martin-nigel-farage-and-ann-widdecombe-1-6764346

But then, she was a big supporter of that madness called Brexit!  Says it all really.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6207 on July 27, 2020, 03:32:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Imposing quarantine visitors returning from the whole of Spain looks like a deliberate act to damage their economy.

Not my words. The words of arch-Brexiteer Michael Portillo on the radio today.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6208 on July 27, 2020, 05:07:26 pm by wilts rover »
It wont have done much to improve the finances or good will of the estimated 600k Brits currently in Spain. Or the 800k others who have booked to go in the next few weeks and are now wondering if two weeks in the sun means two weeks without pay when they get back, that's for sure.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6209 on July 27, 2020, 07:40:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Making it up on the hoof.

Jesus!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53560759

TinyPortal © 2005-2012